Thread: 3D Modeling. Split mesh into more elements based on UV map.(also tutorial)

Default 3D Modeling. Split mesh into more elements based on UV map.(also tutorial)

We all know the 3d models in M2TW and RTW require 1 vertex per UV so here is a small script that splits the mesh into multiple elements based on the UV map. This small script is not made by me, i got it from here. So this is the script:

detatch.rar

Unpack the file into (your 3dsmax folder)/Scripts folder.

To use it, it's very simple. Open 3ds max and go to Utilities -> Open Script (NOT Run Script) and open the script "detatch". Now you will see every line explained (it is not really the same script as the one in the link above.)

Now the important line is this :

Code:
    --Example usage:
    splitMeshByUVElements $body 1
    Now, rename the "body" to "your-mesh-name" so if your object/mesh is called armor1 then rename body to armor1 so you will have this :

Code:
    --Example usage:
    splitMeshByUVElements $armor1  1
    After this click save. Now on utilities click on Run Script and select the script "detatch"

Now new meshes will be generated and in order to join them together select one and do right click -> attach and click on the other meshes. Do this before you assign a skin modifier because it will no longer work. Also note the object may rotate after you run the script so you have to put it back into position. (for 3ds max users)

An easier way to split meshes into more elements is by using Blender. Select the group of UVs and press Y while you select the same group of faces in the model view (remember to use face selection). IDK how to do it in milkshape.
    Last edited by The Master of Albion; March 27, 2018 at 10:47 AM.

Default Re: 3D Modeling. Split mesh into more elements based on UV map.(also tutorial)

Update 1.1

Make sure you place your camera like this to get no rotation on the new faces (until i fix this problem) :
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: 3D Modeling. Split mesh into more elements based on UV map.(also tutorial)

I suppose this can be a very useful tool for those who are trying to modify other people's models in 3DSMax.
    Personally, I prefer to work M2TW models in ms3D because it only takes one conversion to CA *.MESH.

The action described in this thread can be done manually in milkshape.
    The 3rd Case in this tutorial describes the way, step by step.

Thank you ! This tool is most useful in making CAS models for the strat map and for Rome T.W. Also thank you for the milkshape tutorial, i have never seen it before.
    Last edited by paleologos; March 29, 2018 at 04:06 PM.

Join our discord ! : https://discord.gg/gFKGruR