Thread: Curia Focus Forum Change

Default Curia Focus Forum Change

There is still something in my pocket.... I need to get it out.

Forum Change

Create sub-forum; Forum Republica
    Description: Forum is for the discussion of Curia matters and suggestions for Site Improvements. All members are welcome.

Content
    Curia Commentary Thread will be stickied in the thread.
    The sub-forum will serve as suggestion forum/ The "suggestions" part of the Question and Suggestion forum.

The Question and Suggestion Forum will be renamed Question and other Site Issues Forum OR whatever you like.

Rationale: The Curia existence is to make site suggestions and award members for their contribution. Move the suggestions into the Curia which will be open to all members. This should encourage greater participation and increase awareness for the Curia and signal that the site is welcoming to any potential improvement for the site.

One little tidbit:
    It may not be a bad idea to post general guidelines to what it would take to become a citizen beyond the minimal requirements. This way regular members can post that they would like to be considered and a citizen can choose to patronize them if they wish.

Forum Look

CAPITAL
    +Curia
    +Forum Republica for site suggestions

---CCT
    ADMINISTRATION FORUM
    +Questuion/Technical Issues
    +Infractions and Appeals and Discussion
    +Technical Bazaar
    +TWC Cemetary

The TWC Store could go above the Curia.

Or

ADMINISTRATION FORUM
    +The Capital
    ++Curia
    ++Forum Republica for site suggestions

-----CCT
    +Questuion/Technical Issues
    +Infractions and Appeals and Discussion
    +Technical Bazaar
    +TWC Cemetary

The TWC Store would remain where it is, the Curia would move.

As noted below; there are no changes in the way anything is suggested or vetted. The only change is that the "Capital" serves as the single place for all suggestions. I am simply proposing that all suggestions take place within one forum/subforum.

CHANGE LOG__________________________________________________________________
    1. Added the forum make- up (29/03/2018)
    2. Emphasize that the process is not being altered in any way, only coalescing all suggestions in one central location.
    (29/03/2018
    3. Removed name change suggestion.
    (29/03/2018
    4. Added a descriptor name "Question/Technical issues" but it could potentially serve as a name for the subforum.
    (29/03/2018
    Last edited by PikeStance; March 28, 2018 at 08:30 PM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Curia Focus Forum Change

Questions and Suggestions is a much better name imho. Other site issues just don't roll off the keyboard.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Opposed, we don't need a Curia-lite for non citizens.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Isn't this just the Forum Magnum (which seems to have disappeared whilst I was away)?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Séverus Sñape View Post
    Opposed, we don't need a Curia-lite for non citizens.
    We already have one. The CCT.

I still don’t understand the rationale of putting the CCT in the Q&s forums.. If this passed it could also house the ‘citizen and other awards thread.

Tenuous support.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

The Question and Suggestion Forum will be renamed Question and other Site Issues Forum.
    I have yet to make a decision on the rest, but as long as this is in the proposal I will oppose.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I missed that. Yeh you can't change the name of the Q&S.

In my logic...The Curia is an extension of the administration.
    The name of which is unimportant at least as far as the goal is the concern. The goal is to make the Curia the "center" for site suggestions. I am open to suggestions to that end. I quite honestly went back and forth on how best to approach it. I figure I submit the current version I had worked out to see what people thought.

Another idea I had was to make the Curia a sub-forum within the administration forum, but I figure it was separated out for a reason back in the day. I am guessing.

Ultimately, the best way to get people to make suggestions, promote citizenship is to expose it has the place to make suggestions. That's the purpose.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

The problem this will encounter is that there is not some untapped fount of suggestions which are ill-suited to being proposed in the current layout that would evidence themselves in the proposed layout. We've seen this in the past with sub-fora of the Curia that attempted to open Curialesque proposals to non-Citizens; they were almost entirely unused, and there were more people back then to potentially use them.

The Q&S is completely stipulation free and has a high probability of staff response, as it has for years. It's not necessarily related to the Curia because the act of suggesting something isn't related to the Curia, suggestions also occur via PM, in staff fora, and informally in other threads or mediums. Assuming the recipient of the suggestion has some power to implement it and they view it as worthwhile, feasible, perhaps uncontroversial, and clearly formulated then it would typically behoove them to implement it or broach the matter with other relevant authorities, regardless of where it came from.

Making the act of suggesting subordinate to the Curia would be a step in the wrong direction. The Curia's role in suggestion is to provide them form and an elevated gauge of consensus, not to be the arbiter of their origination. It wouldn't hurt if some of those Curial suggestions also weren't reliant on non-Curial actors to handle the bulk of the implementation and dictate the success of the initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    The problem this will encounter is that there is not some untapped fount of suggestions which are ill-suited to being proposed in the current layout that would evidence themselves in the proposed layout. We've seen this in the past with sub-fora of the Curia that attempted to open Curialesque proposals to non-Citizens; they were almost entirely unused, and there were more people back then to potentially use them.

The Q&S is completely stipulation free and has a high probability of staff response, as it has for years. It's not necessarily related to the Curia because the act of suggesting something isn't related to the Curia, suggestions also occur via PM, in staff fora, and informally in other threads or mediums. Assuming the recipient of the suggestion has some power to implement it and they view it as worthwhile, feasible, perhaps uncontroversial, and clearly formulated then it would typically behoove them to implement it or broach the matter with other relevant authorities, regardless of where it came from.

Making the act of suggesting subordinate to the Curia would be a step in the wrong direction. The Curia's role in suggestion is to provide them form and an elevated gauge of consensus, not to be the arbiter of their origination. It wouldn't hurt if some of those Curial suggestions also weren't reliant on non-Curial actors to handle the bulk of the implementation and dictate the success of the initiative.
    AL, you have illustrated what I am intending with this proposal.
    The goal here is to make the Curia the central place for all suggestions. It doesn't matter where it originates. Each idea would be vetted by the citizenry and when properly vetted presented to the admin for possible implementation. While it is true that the FM was underused, there were suggestions made in the Q&S, though limited. Perhaps a place where the purpose os to make suggestions would be a better approach than a decentralize format currently being used.

A secondary goal is to foster a more cooperative spirit between the Curia and the admin which has not always been good.

I am pragmatic on how this could be done. I would not mind the Curia being moved to the Admin forum. "The Capital" then being a place to bring issues, questions, and suggestions. Citizens, as well as admin, could answer questions and relay suggestions.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I've now taken some time to consider this, and I am not convinced that this provides for a better system than that which the Q&S already provides-indeed, I think it makes it unnecessarily complex. Suggestions are not made better or worse just because they come from a citizen or a group thereof.

Opposed for the time being.
    Last edited by Tango12345; March 28, 2018 at 05:28 AM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Opposed from me as well. I doubt deep sub-forums get a lot of activity, I don't like the proposed name change to the Q&S and I don't really see the point.
    The CCT can be used for Curial stuff from non-Citizens and the Q&S can be used for site-wide suggestions.

No problem Tango. I knew when I submitted it was not properly worked out. I suspect there would be a lot of reservations.

I think it is important to note that the proposal as is and all of its variations I alluded to actually makes the point that the origins of the suggestions are immaterial.
    What I envision is that Curia is the center point of suggestions. This is why it is important to have a means by which pereginus can make suggestions. The Q&S is primarily used as a "question" or "technical problems." The suggestions also tend to be more "tidbit" in nature. In the event, a peregrinus does have a complex idea where do they post them. The more complex than the more important that it is vetted. In the past, we had three locations, now just the two. It makes little sense to have two, but how is the best way to simplify while at the same time encourage people to make real suggestions for improving the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula_ View Post
    Opposed from me as well. I doubt deep sub-forums get a lot of activity, I don't like the proposed name change to the Q&S and I don't really see the point.
    The CCT can be used for Curial stuff from non-Citizens and the Q&S can be used for site-wide suggestions.
    The original purpose of the Curia was to make site suggestions. Citizenship was first distributed by admin until the patronization was introduced. Even patronization was limited to a select group in the beginning. It is actually mean of promoting those invested to make an improvement to the site. The award giving is a means to end.
    Last edited by PikeStance; March 28, 2018 at 05:50 AM.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Seconded.

Opposed.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Creating a bottle-neck for suggestions through Curial "vetting" is not commendable in my opinion and would rather reduce than increase the readiness to suggest changes to the site. For the rest I refer to AL's eloquently worded post.

Opposed as it is now.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    Seconded.

Opposed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Creating a bottle-neck for suggestions through Curial "vetting" is not commendable in my opinion and would rather reduce than increase the readiness to suggest changes to the site. For the rest I refer to AL's eloquently worded post.

Opposed as it is now.
    Just to note the suggestion doesn't make anything subordinate to the Curia. It simply moves all suggestions in one area. There will still be a "Suggestion" area for perengrinus to suggest things and admin implement if so fit. There is no proverbial bottleneck at all unless one exists now. THis is precisely why suggesting that the Curia in the admin forum is 6 of one and half dozen of another. The title fits the purpose/ goal of the proposal. Suggestions and Curia are one in the same. The origination is immaterial to the proposal. It is all one place is the key here.

I made changes to the OP to better reflect what the proposal actually does.
    Last edited by PikeStance; March 28, 2018 at 08:31 PM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Sorry Pike, this seems unnecessary to me. Opposed.

No worries, this idea will be like novocaine. At first, you do not feel it, but eventually, you will and will you do, you will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔PikeStance♔ View Post
    No worries, this idea will be like novocaine. At first, you do not feel it, but eventually, you will and will you do, you will be happy.
    This seems strangely apt as of now...

But regardless, how do you wish to proceed?

LET'S PUT IN THE FREEZER AND THAW IT AT LATER DATE.

ARCHIVE PLEASE