Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite unit formations and strategies in different situations

-Traiano-'s Avatar Miles

Default Re: Your favorite unit formations and strategies in different situations

I have 20 units (3 archers-A ahead the formation; 4 spearmen-S forming the first line; 2 Heavy Infantry-HI and 2 crossbows-CB forming second line; 2 heavy infantry forming third line; heavy cavalry-HC is shared in two groups right and left wings, in the right wing there is the general.-G)
    When enemy's army gets close the 3 Archers retreat beyond the second line, the first line stops the enemy while Heavy infantry of the second line run to the enemy's flanks trying to allow the third heavy infantry line to reach the rear of enemy formation, if not possible the third line helps those of the second. The cavalry groups run in the two directions, right and left, keeping distance enough from the enemy lines till they get to the rear of the army, then they charge toghether, other possibility if the enemy has got many cavalry too, so my cavalry goes first against that of enemy.

Rarely i use Horsearchers or light infantry/cavalry, onli against particular versatile enemies that use many mobile/fast troops, my ideal army is like that i have just described.
    Obviously most of the field strategy depends from every single battle you face, there are standard formations that can be regulated everytime.
    Last edited by -Traiano-; February 22, 2008 at 07:39 AM.
    30BC: Ottaviano Augusto becomes the first Imperator, in his 44 years of principate he will bring to the empire peace and prosperity!
    70AD: Vespasiano is the winner of first great empire's civil war,rebuilding Roman world after the Nero's dark ages.
    98AD: Traiano becomes imperator after that the senateman Nerva adopted him,he will start a gold age for the empire getting it to biggest extension!! 117AD-180AD Adriano,Antonino Pio and Marco Aurelio administrate the empire during his richest and most pacific period, with their good administration Rome lives its golden age.
    193AD: Settimio Severo wins the civil war started after the death of Commodo starting the Severan dinasty, his heirs will not be as good as him. 252-285AD Rome lives the peak of III century's crisis,onli the emperor Aureliano will be able to reunite the empire breacked in 3 parts and the great reformer Diocleziano will give to Rome militar,politic and social cohesion after decades of caos. 325AD:Costantino rules alone over the empire and christianity is for the first time accepted by the imperial government.

Axeman's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Your favorite unit formations and strategies in different situations

Quote Originally Posted by Totalitarian View Post
    The Perfect Trap

Here's one for when you're fighting in the woods:

E= Enemy
    HI= Heavy Infantry
    HC= Heavy Cavlary
    LC= Light Cavalry
    MU= Missle Units
    G= General
    P= Peasants

-------------------------E------------------------
    ---------------------EEEEEEE---------------------
    -------------------EEEEEEEEEEE-------------------

LC-HC-HI---------------PPP-------------HI-HC-LC
    --------HI-----------------------------HI--------
    ---------HI---------------------------HI---------
    ----------HI-------------------------HI----------
    -----------HI-----------------------HI-----------
    ---MU--------------------------------------MU--
    -------------------------G-----------------------

First off, let's get the obvious stuff out of the way:

1. It's no secret that the only unit (in this setup) that cannot hide in a forest is your General/Captain.

2. Missile units are almost completely worthless in a densely forested area. So it's best to just turn off the "Fire at Will" command and keep them in a safe distance before your start the slaughter... I mean show.

Since you placed your General/Captain at a distance, the enemy might start to advance towards your general (depending on how the strength ratio is before the battle). Wait for the enemy to get almost in line with your HC's and your first set of HI's in the "V" formation. Then send out your peasants off to die by charging the enemy lines:

-------------------------E------------------------
    ---------------------EEEEEEE---------------------
    -------------------EEEEEEEEEEE-------------------
    LC-HC-HI---------------PPP-------------HI-HC-LC
    --------HI-----------------------------HI--------
    ---------HI---------------------------HI---------
    -----------HI-----------------------HI-----------
    ---MU--------------------------------------MU--
    -------------------------G-----------------------

The peasants won't take long to route, and when they do, the enemy start running down the "Funnel of Death" right after them:

LC-HC-HI---------------E---------------HI-HC-LC
    --------HI-----------EEEEEE-----------HI--------
    ---------HI-------EEEEEEEEEEE-------HI---------
    -----------HI----------PPP----------HI-----------
    ---MU-------------------------------------MU--
    ------------------------G-----------------------

Let loose your HI's and smash your opponet like a sandwich, and then place your HC and LC units in their rear:

--------------------LC-LC---------------------
    ----------------------------------------------
    ------------------HC----HC-------------------

------------------HI--E--HI----------------------
    ---------------HI--EEEEEE--HI-------------------
    ------------HI--EEEEEEEEEEE--HI----------------
    ----------------HI-HI----HI-HI-------------------
    ----------------------G-------------------------
    --MU-------------------------------------MU---
    ------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------ppp-----------------------

Charge your cavalry units if you want to, but it's pointless. The enemy will realize that they're completely enveloped and will route in no time. Since your cavalry is already in place... round up as much prisoners as you can and savor the day when it's all said and done!

If the enemy doesn't bite, then this setup will allow you to use any of the preset formations without wasting a lot of time getting into position.
    While in theroy its good, nobody would blindly fall into that trap, well at least not any experienced player, I suggest you move your Heavy and Light Cavalry to your general so it doesn't look like such an obvious ambush.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    / \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

Laconian's Avatar Semisalis

When I have heavy cavalry, I also try and flank the enemy and take them from the rear or the side. While the cavalry is getting ready to flank and moving into position, I use an infantry diversion assistaed by archers and horse archers.

I prefer to note that I am the best Medieval 2 total war player in south dakota ;D. But on all levels, i prefer a balanced and inexpensive army, usually consisting of Mailed knights, (ALWAYS) spearmen, About half mercenary, and if possible, a few archers/siege weapons.

Now, ON an OPEN FIELD BATTLE
    1.You Always keep cavalry at the back to avoid dragging the main enemy army away.

2. GENERAL STAYS ALIVE

3. too much archers makes a weak army.

My formation is tiss

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    !!!!!OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    ! !
    ! ! ! !
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

!=Spearmen, spearmen on the flanks all point outward .
    O=Infantry, mixed heavy and light
    ^=cavalry and general(s)

This formation never fails me. When the front enemy hits my front line, they just waste away. if they apply cavalry at my flanks, or go around them, i scatter the cavalry to correspond to the attacking enemies. The enemies at my flanks eventually tire, and run, so my cavlry just squeezzes tot he rest of the enemies sides, and its over.

I run the enemy down and they never see the light of day >

Well, seeing as the only computer I can play MEII on, doesn't have internet, I basically only have strategies that work on AIs.

If you're outnumbered, and you only have some 2 units of spearmen, 1 archer unit, and 1 heavy infantry unit, while your enemy has three (for example) units of heavy cav, three of spearmen, and two archer's, here's a way to win.

EG= enemy general
    ES= enemy spearmen
    EHC= enemy heavy cav
    EA= enemy archer's
    S= spearmen
    HI= heavy infantry
    A= archer's

------------EG---------------
    -EHC-----EA-----EA-----EHC-
    ------ES----ES-----ES-------
    -----------------------------
    -----------------------------
    As you can see, the enemy is set up with spearmen in a single line formation, archer's behind them shooting flaming arrows trying to lower my morale, general behind the archers and their heavy cav to their flanks, ready to charge my own.

------S-----HI-----S------
    ------------A-------------

I forgot to mention that my spearmen and archer's both had 3 experience, and they all had upgraded armor (i think it was heavy mail, unno. Wheras the enemy didn't.)

ANYWAYS, I would have my archer unit take out one of theirs, then use flaming arrows on the two spearmen units on their flanks (left and right, leaving the middle one alone) Sure enough their archer ran out of arrows and hey charged. By this time they were down to about 35 spearmen on each flank, originally 75, plus the 75 in the middle.

They charged, and I would have my spearmen engage theirs. Whilst my HI engaged the middle spearmen of 75 units. The HI would quickly rout them, and then If i noticed any of my spearmen faltering, I would send my HI to back them up.

Just after their spearmen charged I would target their cav with my archer. Once their spearmen were gone, I reformed and awaited their cavalry charge.

By now they were down from 40 horses at each unit to 32 - 31. They charged and my spearmen got set up. Each of my spearmen units took out around 19-21 horses, that left around 20 HC in TOTAL. Sent the rest of my HI after 'em and raped them.

By now I had almost no spearmen left, so I sent what little I had after the general to luckily kill him, and failing this at least tie him up for long enough to get my HI in after him, causing his guards to rout, but luckily my spearmen killed him in 20 seconds or less'ish, (only killed about 8 of his guards, him including.) and they all routed. I won.

I was outnumbered 3:1, about 400 men to 170ish. By using good tactics I overcame superior numbers. Anyways hope this helps somebody.

NOTE: I didn't engage their whole arm at the same time. Archer's fired, one died, one ran out of ammo. Spearmen charged, they all died/routed, THEN the two HC on their flanks charged, all died. THEN the general. If they all attacked at the same time I would have surely lost, but I kept myself calm.

- Cheerios.
    Last edited by Foehammer; April 25, 2008 at 06:33 PM.

xxxMoRaVexxx's Avatar Ordinarius

My scottish strategy, this worked once:

-----------EG--------------
    ---EHC--EHC--ELC--ELC--EHC-----
    -----ETM-ESM-ESM-ESM-ETM----
    --EP-ETM-ESM-ESM-ESM-ETM-ESM---
    ------------A---------A-----------

EG=Enemy general
    ECH=Enemy Heavy Cav(mailed knights)
    ELC=Enemy Light Cav(mounted sergeants)
    EP=Enemy peasnats
    ETM=Enemy Town militia
    ESM=Enemy Spear militia

Notice the enemy's units, they are unapgraded but some of them have 2 to 3 exp.

PM----PM----NPM----NPM----PM----PM
    -----SN--HL--HL--SN--SN--HL--SN----
    --------------G----------------------

PM=Pike militia
    NPM=Noble Pike militia
    HL=Highlanders
    SN=Scottish nobles
    G=General

My units are light mail upgraded but only few have exp(1 or 2). The battle commenced when the enemy ponded my pikeman with arrows, my men are very exposed so i have no choice but to engage them luckily, the archers are too far from their main army so i tried to chase them with my infantry until i got near the enemy's main army and one unit of their archer went inside the safety of their lines while the other one went into my flank and i chased it with a scottich noble unit(unfortunately i didnt brought a general). And finally the enemy charged with their units in the first line, after awhile of fighting, the enemy first line routed with lots of losses what i have done was to leave small gaps in the pikemen's formation enough for the main offensive units to squeeze into and join the fray by stopping the enemy's weak infantry while the pikemen stops the cavalry that had just charged when one of the first line infantry units routed. I sustained heavy losses against that wave of attack in my right flank while the left flank offensive infantry behind the pikeman formation was still in good numbers, enough to destroy the enemy's second line infantry and there i won the battle.

I believe its more luck and armor than using my mind when i won this battle but that is my strategy

But this is my strategy when i have a complete variety army

------------EEEEEEEEE--EEEEEEEE---
    ------------EEEEEEEEEEE--EEEEEEE--

my formation:
    -----------A---A-------------A-------------
    --------S--S--S--HI--HI--S--S--S----------
    HC-LC------HI----HI--HI----HI--------LC-HC
    --------------------G-----------------------

A=archer
    S=spearman
    HI=heavy infantry
    LC=heavy cavalry
    HC=Heavy cavalry
    G=General

first i pounded the enemy with arrow fire until my archers only have half of their ammo. Then I let my Infantry chase the archers if their was any and of course engage the enemy infantry. While my infantry is engaging the enemy I also used my technique to leave a small gap in the spearman lines for the heavy infantry to squeeze through slaughtering the enemy infantry while the spearman keeps the enemy cav or other units at bay.Then my cavalry comes through into a pincer movement to flank the enemy units especially in the rear(thats why i placed the heavy cav outward so that if the enemy has another line they won't likely slaughter my cavalry formation because they will likely meet my heavily armed cav). And thats it, but i think my strategies are using some units in too dangerous situation(like my heavy cav being slaughtered by the second line once they flanked the first line in the back:

---------EG---------
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    ---------------------
    ----(HC*)---------(HC*)---
    ------LC------LC-----
    ---EEEEEEEEEEEEE------
    -S--S--HI--HI--S--S-
    ----HI--HI--HI--S----
    ---------G-----------

xxxMoRaVexxx's Avatar Ordinarius

sorry i have a typo:
    A=archer
    S=spearman
    HI=heavy infantry
    LC=heavy cavalry-------->this must be LIGHT cavalry
    HC=Heavy cavalry
    G=General
    and also sorry for making my post too long

well im the english and won 6 heroic battles using this(stupid french cavalary)
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEEE
    KK___sssssssssss___KK
    LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    G
    s=spermen
    k-cavalry
    L=lonbows(retunue)
    g= general
    i cant do it on this but the stakesw of the long bows are in front of the spearmen(sometimes heavy infantry) and the longbows are behind by the end it look like this

kkkkg
    s>> EEEE EEEE <<< s
    ssssssssssss
    LLLLLLLLLLLL

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" - Louis Hector Berlioz

If I'm facing European forces, I'll have a few archer units, with spearmen or pikemen in guard mode directly behind them, and behind the spears I'll have quality heavy infantry. Directly behind that I'll have my General. On the flanks I'll have a mix of heavy and light cavalry, and possibly mounted ranged units. If I bring artillery, I prefer catapults behind the heavy infantry.

It's a pretty solid formation against humans and AI, as the cavalry on the flanks are quite flexible to meet enemy cavalry before they flank me. I like to keep my light cavalry out of the the battle for as long as possible, and pick off distanced units with them, whether it's artillery, fleeing units or archers.

It looks something like this:
    EEEEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEEEEEE (Enemy)

----AAAAAAAAAAA-----
    KK--SSSSSSSSSSS---KK
    ----HHHHHHHHHHH-----
    ---------C G C---------

Archers = A
    Spearmen = S
    Knights = K
    Heavy infantry = H
    Catapult = C
    General = G

If I'm playing a faction with good quality light infantry, like highlanders, ghazis or the like (with axes or swords), I'll have them behind the heavy infantry, ready to do a pincer movement after the melee starts.

If I'm facing the Mongols, I'll have a lot more archers and a few quality pikemen, and a lot of light cavalry, some ranged cavalry, and some heavy cavalry. Perhaps some artillery.

When defending a siege. I'll have spearmen or pikemen in guard mode right at the gate, with one or two more lines of spears behind them, on the flanks I'll have quality heavy infantry, on the walls I'll have heavy infantry of my best quality to meet their siege towers and ladders, and a couple troops ontop of the gate house. If I don't have access to boiling oil, then I will put spearmen in what I call the giant V of doom. Essentially I put two squads of my best spearmen in guard mode in a V shape right on the gate or breach. I'll have light cavalry on the side gate to be ready to flank the enemy at my discretion. I'll have my general close to the where the fighting will get the worst, to constantly rally my troops. I'll have archers on the walls, some javelin throwers behind my V if I have any, to throw javelins at the enemy rushing through the gate or breach.

so here's an example:

=========== =======
    -------- H S E S H G ---
    --------- H S E S H ------
    ---------- J S J ------

==== is the wall, and the gap is the breach.
    again, S are spears, H are heavy infantry, J are javelin throwers, G is my general.
    Last edited by dr_guerra; June 09, 2008 at 05:16 PM.

First off, new forumer here, this is my first post, so hello all.
    I'm tired so I'm gonna keep this brief.

I tried this one in an open battle, it worked great, it's a punch through formation.

Legend: Hi=Heavy infantry
    ShI=Shock infantry (High charge/attach, low Defence heavy inf.)
    S=Spearmen
    A= Archers
    C=Cavalry (heavy)

Each symbol=one unit.
    -------------EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE------------
    -------------EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE------------
    -------------------------------------------
    ---------------------ShI--------------
    ------------------ShI-Hi-Shi--------------
    -----------------S---Hi----S---------
    ----------------S----Hi-----S---------
    -------------------AAAAA-------------
    -------------------------------CCC----

How it works:The archers weaken the middle of the enemy front lines to prep for assault. The shock infantry, with their high charge and attack is the first to make contact with the enemy lines, followed by heavy infantry to form the core of the attack, with their high defensive stats. The spears fan out to the sides to hold the enemy line in place to prevent getting surrounded, and the cav. attacks from the rear of the force.

---------------------EEEE-ShI-EEEE------<--<-CC---
    ------------------EEEE-ShI-Hi-Shi-EEEE---<---<--C------
    --------------------S-S--Hi-Hi--S-S----------------
    ----------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------AAAAA-------------------------
    Last edited by Tpoucat; June 11, 2008 at 02:08 AM.

I'll say my defending siege strategy - my favourite sort of battle. I just love that feeling when you've succesfully held back the enemy from your innocent citizens, at immense odds, then awe at the mass of dead enemies in front of your walls.

__
    -- = walls
    ++= Gate
    A= Archers
    M= Crossbowmen/ musskets
    C= All cavalry (including missile)
    S= Spearmen
    I= Other infantry
    G= Generals bodyguard

This is my starting positions.

________________++_______________
    MMAIAMMAIAMM
    ------------------++-----------------
    I CCSSCC I
    G
    As soon as the battle begins I send my cavalry out of the gates, then behind and too the sides of the enemy. I usually charge my heavy cavalry at any troops carrying ladders - they're the worst to retaliate. One or two good charges and their down. I send my light cavalry/missile cavalry at any enemy missile units, who tend to lagg behind the ennemy caravan because they start to fire at your cavalry as soon as they leave the gate. You have to be ready for the gate not to close after your cavalry have left - if it hasen't I quickly move my spearmen back until it does. If I can I charge my heavy cavalry at the enemy units manning the siege tower.
    If the enemy have artillery, I tend to try to cut them down with my cavalry. I place spearmen and then, if I have some, my own artillery behind them at the breach. Trebuchet's tend to be able to fire over a stone wall once it's past 50/70%, and if you get your timing right the effect can be devestating. A favourite of mine is to send cannon's out of the gate, which can send at least two volley's with a siege larger than a town.

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

1. open field battle
    2. defending seige
    3. taking a city (offense)
    4. taking a castle (offense)

open field battle

^^---MMSSSSMM----^G^
    MSMSMSMS

M = melee unit other then spearman
    S = spearman
    ^ = cavalry
    MS= missle
    G = general (note the general can also be at the other cavalry flank)

This formation gives you 2 flanking possibilities. I have always set the spearman to 2 men in depth and then the melee infantry at the flanks and the cavalry at the melee flanks. This gives you 2 flanking manouvres. from the sides with infantry prefarbly axemen or macemen, and the cavalry from behind what usually is the charge what ends the battle.

defending siege

Archers near towers with fire arrows
    melee units near breaches
    spear units at the gates
    never cavalry in cities
    general near spear units or melee units

I think this explains its self

for sieges you have to know I always attack in waves, some people throw everything they have in one attack, I use reserves to send to endangered areas
    taking a city:

ST-ST-R-ST-ST
    A A A A
    R-R-R-R
    ^^ G ^^

ST = siege tower
    R = ram
    A = archers/xbowman
    R = reserves
    ^= cavalry
    G= general

this formation make sure that the siege equipments is defended by friendly missle units
    and the reserves make sure you have always people ready to send to support troops that are being massacred

taking a castle
    is the same formation only some reserve units are being replaced with artillery for extra punch
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

My ultimate formation that never fails when i deem it right to use it is the.............feared and at the same time revered............NOVA ROMA LEGION STANDARD FORMATION!

a preview to those who know what i'm talking about FEAR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ONE VICTOR, ONE EMPIRE, ONE ROME,
    TOTAL WAR

Nova Roma- Rise of the New Roman Empire: A Byzantine AAR
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=171236&page=1

The Creator of the Feared NOVA ROMA LEGION

im mostly a seige defence general, that means lots of cheap archers and a few elites (such as Retinue Longbowmen) for sniping at ram carriers.

i also keep a few Heavy Infantry in reserve incase of a breakout

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by emperornovaroma View Post
    My ultimate formation that never fails when i deem it right to use it is the.............feared and at the same time revered............NOVA ROMA LEGION STANDARD FORMATION!

a preview to those who know what i'm talking about FEAR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naa,A bit of heavy cavarly at the flanks and some supporting infantry in the center would do the job

Since I am always playing against the AI, I guess my tactics are poorly developed comparing to you guys.

Anyway, I like to use the field to my advantage, so I try to choose the favorable place for a battle (high ground, sea at one side, river bank, etc.). Also, I like playing the campaign map to the maximum, following the rule that a good general is the one that chooses his battles. So, I always try to create a favorable situation strategically, and a favorable ratio of army sizes, so the tactics is the easy.

I like to follow simple tactics of having an infantry line (with reserves if possible), a row of missile troops that are in front of the infantry line but can escape behind it quickly, and cavalry to protect the flanks.

Against flanking attempts of the enemy cavalry I defend also with cavalry, or if I am lacking cavalry then I use spearmen. I also use cavalry for reserves in case that the infantry line breaks somewhere.

I guess pretty usual stuff, all together. This tactic would work just the same in Rome Total War, since technology was not that different in Medieval times. And the good side to the tactics is that it's general purpose and relies on whatever units you have at the time.

I guess I'll have to read these posts carefully, to enrich my tactics...

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by sumicus View Post
    Since I am always playing against the AI, I guess my tactics are poorly developed comparing to you guys.
    Yes, just like me. This is my first total war and it's the second time I manage to survive the first turns being England. I don't know the game very good yet. I'm playing vanilla version, at the hardest difficult level. so the IA behaivor could be different.
    So far here's my what to do list:
    Need cavalry and missile troops, and whatever infantry, it doesn't matter the type.
    Phase one: try to eliminate the enemy missile troops with my cavalry, since they are faster to attack and escape.
    Phase two: punish enemy's formations with your own missile troops.
    Phase three: place cavalry behind the enemy and infantry in front of the enemy.

- Open field:
    Try to avoid them, only fight for settlements and against rebels.

- Defending a siege:
    Attack first.

- Attacking a settlement:
    Only if they got very few defenders, say... 3 or 4. Otherwise wait until they get out. Their missile troops will run in front of the rest of their formations. Charge with cavalry to eliminate them as said in phase one, then phase two and three.

Defending a siege (especially without enemy siege weapons).
    Some of you may know this tactic and some may even consider it cheap. But it works. Especially if you're caught unawares at a lightly defended city/castle

One word: Ballista

just position it about 40m, just outside the gate (inside the city i mean) and flank the entrance with spear units set on "defensive" mode facing each other.

--_--------------_ ---- _--------------_--
    -[_]-HI-AA-HI-[_]---[_]-HI-AA-HI-[_]-
    ------------------S----S------------------
    -------------------S--S-------------------
    ______________-----______________
    ---building-------|-B-|-------building---

Use flaming ability. Basically when the enemy charges through the gate, they continue forwards until they "touch" the spearmen, after which they commence to fight them instead of charging on ahead to your ballista. Meanwhile your ballista is causing mass damage and panick. Since you only need 2 units of spearmen and ballista, you can put all your other units (archers, infantry) on the walls or wherever you please. I like to reenforce the spear units with another melee unit for the morale boost as well as one behind the ballista (just in case). Ive gotten many heroic victories with this strategy

Also, you may have noticed that not all cities afford you with a luxury of having an alley directly behind the gate for your ballista (all my castle did), but so far I've been able to adjust accordingly and used it in similar ways.

Also if the enemy decide to knock out your walls instead, send cavalry or adjust your formations to where they will breach the wall.
    Last edited by Soul Forge; July 13, 2008 at 08:41 PM.

Defending a siege would be my favourite form of a battle. In a city siege, if the enemy has good siege weapons ( meaning cannons and such)
    aside from the normal archers at the walls formations, If the enemy blows up my wall, I place my troops at the breaching in a horse-shoe formation, forming of spearmen and some heavy infatry as backup. If I get to situation, where enemy isnt at the gates, I rush my horsemen trough the gate and smash the enemy at their backs :p ( s= spearmen e= enemy c= my cavalry)

c c c c c [ cavalry charging ]

s eeeeeee s
    s eeeeeee s Get it?
    s eeeeeee s
    s s s s s s s

Sorry, my first time trying something like this. And the forum messed up the wall I did , so youll have to imagine a wall, broken in the middle of it, spearmen in a half ring facing the enemy,the half ring closing the opening, leaving the enemy in a bottle-neck trap, and cavalry charging to the enemies back.

In fortress/citadel siege defend, when enemy is ramming the gate/ pounding my walls I regroup my units to second castle level, place archers on the walls, and use the same city tactic, except I dont use the horsemen when/ if the enemy breaks through my second gate/ wall. If i have a catapult, i fire it to the narrow point where the enemy are packed. One good catapult shot there will kill hundreds, but catapults are very picky about their placement, catapult wont fire if its in the wrong angle against the enemy, that error lost me once Damaskos as the english against the mongols

As the english ( or any faction that can plant stakes with their archers )
    Against the mongols& timurids pretty much same tactic, except I leave my cavalry at the first gate, so the towers will fire at the incoming rams ( mongols in my game have always their siege weapon armies in some conquered town, not in the battlefield, this happens often). I also leave some of my arcers at the first gate, leaving stakes in front of the gate. Then regroup the archers to the second wall, where is the rest of the group. When the ram has pounded about 50% of the gate, I regroup my cavalry too to the second level. Then the city tactic goes over again, without the use of cavalry.

Sorry for the misspelling mistakes, my first post here too
    Last edited by Lone Crusader; July 16, 2008 at 03:43 PM.