Thread: Does recruiting generals affect family tree?

Default Does recruiting generals affect family tree?

I have recruited generals pretty cautiously, since I have thought it will affect family tree in some way, like it lowers birth rates, marriage offerings etc. etc. but maybe this is just false worry.

Default Re: Does recruiting generals affect family tree?

I believe it is true, still I'm not sure for all 100%.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

It is true. The game aims for roughly one general or family member per region you own.
    Science flies you to the moon.
    Religion flies you into buildings.

Victor Stenger

Thats pretty much explains it all. I started worry in my HRE campaign that my holy and pure bloodline would die out

There is impressive hike in child birth rate when those generals, which you get as a beginning die out.

While what said above is true...
    if you have the "royal ladies" submod, you can always create noble ladies (princesses basically) to marry your male family members to.
    And if you are mainly concerned with maintaining the family line and name, just stick to marrying off one son and keep the other in reserve in case that idiot son only has four girls (1/16 chance).

This will keep your family going regardless of how many generals you have... unless extremely bad luck strikes you.

The reason I would only marry off one of your princes is, if you have a lot of generals, your birthrate will be lower and you want that main son to have 4 kids. Odds are at least 2 of those kids will be male and then you always have a spare heir in case of the 4-girl scenario or death by disease/assassination/battle etc...

I usually try to recruit enough generals (combined with family males) to keep one in each province.
    This balance seems to allow for enough family births to maintain at least 2 family lines (in case tragedy strikes one of them).

p.s.
    Never send your King/Prince off into battle unless they already have a son back home (in case they die on campaign).
    Last edited by Duck of Death; March 23, 2018 at 07:52 AM.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

Thanks for the tips. I have not tried any of the sub mods yet, but there are some interesting ones. Need to try them when I start new campaign. Maybe I also should marry some of those princesses off to other factions, but mostly I just keep them inside the family, lol.
    In my current Seljuk campaign I started adopting people also, since they were actually pretty good choices and I desperately needed extra generals, since crusaders + byzantium were attacking from west, egypt from south and cumans from north. And mongols are now gathering on my border.

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

If you're not scared of mods, have a look at next heir ancillary mod. It basically gives an ancillary token that you can exchange between family members and raises authority in a way that the FM owning it will get a very high chance of becoming the next heir when the current king dies. There are some exceptions (read through the thread on it) but in general it works and it gives you increased control over your family tree ....
    Science flies you to the moon.
    Religion flies you into buildings.

Victor Stenger

Wait, how do you recruit generals that aren't adoptions...?

Quote Originally Posted by VoidsX View Post
    Wait, how do you recruit generals that aren't adoptions...?
    If I remember you need to construct a Fortress (after the Castle) to recruit a General but the replenish time is around 20 turns.