Thread: Is there a way to find the exact problem with your map ?

Default Is there a way to find the exact problem with your map ?

As the title says, Is there a way to find the exact problem with your map ? Every time i make a map and something goes wrong i have to find the problem myself, even if i load the mod into Geomod and then save it back. Some help about this would make my work easier to do

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there a way to find the exact problem with your map ?

There are a small number of map related errors that can be listed in the log.

Otherwise it's a matter of checks: non listed RGB colors can be found relatively easy by deleting all regions with the Geomod tool (and obviously not saving after that) and then checking for stray pixels. Another standard check is to replace map_features with a blank\black graphic to rule out errors here.

The tool can only correct wrong RGB values in map_heights and remove duplicated resource positioning. The best way to work with maps is to start with a minimum working map, examples here, and then making back ups of the files you work with, unless you work with established maps - then only the back up advice is applicable

One error not recorded in the log is placing settlements and ports adjacent to land bridges, trading resources placed like that are prone to errors as well.

If you have a problem you can't solve simply post here. A manual for Geomod can be found here.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 20, 2018 at 08:22 PM.

But if i get the Oh something's bad error, after the game loaded ?

Btw i checked more threads about errors and the problem is that i have only 3 regions ;D I hope after i fix that all will be good

Actually this is not fixing.

maps.rar Here is the map with the base folder and imperial campaign.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 21, 2018 at 07:23 PM. Reason: multiple posts merged

Blog Entries

From my view:

slave faction has no victory condition - this will end the game right away with victory of this faction. Set the region conditions in descr_win_conditions to 200 to avoid this.
    several ports are completely surrounded by land - this can best be seen with the Geomod tool, eburacum province in the picture. Yellow is the outline of the province - simply move the port one pixel to the right. In Geomod that means that you first have to paint that pixel in th eregion view before moving the port. The yellow outline for a better contrast can be set in 'Options\Selection Color'.
    Note: you need to select the region first before switching to heights view.

Another possibility (after fixing the above issues) could be the sheer size of the roma region. Split it up into 6-8 evenly sized regions.

Upload: please include the two data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names files the next time, they are essential for tests (time consuming to create them from descr_regions )
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 21, 2018 at 07:58 PM.

Thx i forgot abou tthose files, sorry.

Blog Entries

Yes having smaller regions fixed the problem but now it is crashing while i am looking through the map, yet this could be fixed, thx again Gigantus

Blog Entries

Scrolling crash at a particular point is usually connected to an invalid strat map model of a settlement. Eg giving the aztecs a fortress while they do not have that level in descr_cultures.