Thread: Great free 'Kuwahara' art filter app

Default Great free 'Kuwahara' art filter app

Through the reshade forum I came upon a great free art filter app for applying a 'Kuwahara filter' to images. It gives a great 'artistic' look imho. Since the app uses the GPU to process the image, it's also quite fast (multiple FPS) and parameters can be applied in real time. There seems to be also no image size restriction.

download link for 'Kuwahara' art filter app:
    https://code.google.com/archive/p/gpuakf/downloads

Here some samples: (i usually applied sharpening filter after the 'Kuwahara')

more samples:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Link to gallery with more 'Kuwahara' TW shots:
    https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-LLmcsB

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Re: Great free 'Kuwahara' art filter app

Those are some awesome shots. How exactly does it work? Do I just download the app and basically make it run on the exe like Cheat Engine, eg run on the Attila exe?

Actually, it's just like a paint app, u open a .png or .bmp file and then u can adjust the parameters with the help of a GPU accelerated preview window. If u are happy with the settings u can save the image as .png file.

U can select from 4 different base variations of the 'Kuwahara' algorithm. So far I have always used the 'Anisotropic Kuwahara v2' since I like the look the most. And I usually only change the radius​ setting since it makes by far the most difference.

Afterwards I applied some sharpening from the FastStone image viewer (software doesn't really matter as sharpening is very similar in different apps).

There is actually a new 'Kuwahara' filter for Reshade available (this is how I found the app) but the result is not as refined/beautiful as from the app. I guess that's because of necessary speed optimizations (the reshade filter runs about 10 times faster than the app), to make it possible to use in games.
    Last edited by A Barbarian; March 20, 2018 at 04:14 PM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Ah right, I figured it'd do it on the fly as you play like Gem or Reshade. I'll check it out though.