Thread: So.. what am I doing wrong?

Default So.. what am I doing wrong?

Im currently using Hoplites with the last patch... and i don't know if is a problem now or if it comes from earlier versons, but When I put my units in defensive positions such as narrow streets or bridges and activate the phalanx... the enemy charges... for a while its all Ok but then the enemy units start to running through my phalanx formation like nothing, pushing my hoplites and passing to the other side I tried leaving them defend... 1 click and even 2 click to push and the result is the same... a few moments and then the enemy start slideing pass my units...

PD: Im new here and just wanted to say... Great mod guys, thanks for all the effort

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: So.. what am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by xmonchox View Post
    Im currently using Hoplites with the last patch... and i don't know if is a problem now or if it comes from earlier versons, but When I put my units in defensive positions such as narrow streets or bridges and activate the phalanx... the enemy charges... for a while its all Ok but then the enemy units start to running through my phalanx formation like nothing, pushing my hoplites and passing to the other side I tried leaving them defend... 1 click and even 2 click to push and the result is the same... a few moments and then the enemy start slideing pass my units...

PD: Im new here and just wanted to say... Great mod guys, thanks for all the effort
    Welcome to theForums buddy.

Now...Are you using any other mods or submods ?
    Have you checked the latest fixpack too ? be sure to grab it cause after Patch 19 we had some weird issues.

I wonder if its the location and terrain somehow. I remember hoplites having this problem in general a long time ago but havent seen it in a normal situation recently

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Senktris's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I wonder if its the location and terrain somehow. I remember hoplites having this problem in general a long time ago but havent seen it in a normal situation recently
    This.

I'm pretty sure that I've had similiar problems like the OP in every Total War game I have played - and only in cities. (I'm looking at you, Medieval 2!)

I had the same issue with my phalangites yday when I put them on a bridge to hold the line, eventually they blobbed to the side and got surrounded, I was barely able to prevent them from being destroyed, I think the units are just not able to cope well with artificial boundaries like the edge of a bridge or the invisible wall next to houses.

This happened to me as well. I'm not using any other mods.
    I had hoplites in phalanx defending an entrance in a fort battle and my enemy had spearman with shieldwall ability. The spearman would push my hoplites little by little until they broke a hole and just forced their way through.

I think this is because of how phalanx/shieldwall pushes the enemy away but the enemy who got pushed away doesn't come back to its original position without an order, and how a unit in formation will always try to precisely face its center towards the target's center. So a phalanx coming in at an angle will force one wing of the unit through the enemy lines in an effort to face the center. Obstacles or narrow paths make this happen more often since it almost surely interferes with the pathfinding.
    When I am actually attacking and give an attack order this is not much of a problem, but when blocking a path that is impossible since an attack order will cause the unit to turn around and mess up the defense.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Check hotfix, it should be less noticeable.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod