Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 13/12/2020]

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1

The Ranger-Captain has to be careful. Eldarion, Bane of the Wildmen...careful lest you will be known as Eldarion, Bane of Men. Just a step in the wrong direction...
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    The Ranger-Captain has to be careful. Eldarion, Bane of the Wildmen...careful lest you will be known as Eldarion, Bane of Men. Just a step in the wrong direction...
    That would be a bad thing indeed. His fame or notoriety (depends on where you're from) goes already far and wide. Perhaps Gandalf and Elenien can persuade him to abandon this downward spiral.

Content Emeritus

Book I, Chapter XIX: A Place to Hide
    Late Autumn 3000 TA: Udanoriath, Athilin

“Araphor, what are we going to do if he doesn't surrender?” Melion asked.

“If he doesn't we will attack and slay them all. His position is hopeless and he knows it. He can't win this way. He has gambled that reinforcements would come, but they haven't.” Araphor said in a monotonous fashion.

“We need this place to winter. We have enough supplies and more are on their way for the push north next spring.” he added dryly.

Melion almost regretted he had gone on this expedition. Almost. Someone had to look after their commander. Keep him safe from doing foolish things.

Then what exactly is this mission but something foolish, Melion's thoughts were.

“There he comes.” Araphor said his face like a stone tablet.

The man reffered to was Morholt, a tribal chief from Rhudaur who had pledged his allegiance to the Iron Crown. An allegiance he would now pay dearly for. He had wild dark brown hair and dark brown eyes in the true Hillmen fashion. He was neither tall nor short. He wielded a bow and a axe in battle of which both were useless to him now. His bow was unstrung and his axe he had imbedded in the ground at the border of the town. He approached Araphor, justly assuming he was the commander of the force besieging him.

“I've come to parley.” he said in a raspy voice.

“We can see that.” Araphor said. “What is it you want?”

“My men and I are willing to surrender the town to you on condition you let us go peacefully back to our homes.” Morholt said in a strong voice.

Araphor stayed silent for a moment just staring coldly into the Hillman's eyes. Finally he gave his answer.

“No I cannot do that. You willingly alligned yourself to this Agandaûr. If I let you go now you will just fight another day. I simply can't let all of you just walk away. A price must be paid.” Araphor said with a voice as if proclaiming doom.

“Then what would you have me do, let you execute us all without giving a fight?” Morholt angrily asked.

“That would be the preferred outcome.” Araphor said coldly.

“Yet I do not have time to fight a battle or kill you all in cold blood so I propose something else.” he added.

“If you were to surrender to me and help me fight this Evil in the north I might consider letting your men leave this place in peace. After they have sworn never to take up arms against the Dúnedain ever again, they may return to their homes where they will await the return of the king. Rhudaur will be a part of the Kingdom of Arnor once again.” he proclaimed.

This was Araphor's proposal. Morholt weighed his options and finally opted to accept Araphor's proposal seeing he hadn't really a choice. Refuse and certainly die or accept and maybe die. Also he wasn't very loyal to Agandaûr, as nobody really was. Melion didn't like this at all for he distrusted the Rhudaurian man.

Araphor, Melion and Morholt seated themselves in a tent far away from the rest of the men. The things Araphor wanted to know didn't need to be spread amongst the ranks. It was Morholt who began the conversation, wanting to know what was required of him.

“What do you want from me? How can I help you defeat the Man of the Iron Crown?” the man from Rhudaur asked in his raspy voice.

Araphor was smoking his pipe and blew a ring of smoke before answering.

“Tell me, what do you know about this Agadaûr?” he asked.

“I don't know much, but what would you like to know?” Morholt inquired.

“We can start by learning of his current whereabouts? Do you know where he is at the moment?” Araphor asked.

Morholt had agreed to help the Dúnedain but he wasn't very fond of them either. It was that ancient hatred that had prompted him and many of his countrymen to swear fealthy to Agandaûr. Yet he didn't like Agandaûr either, the one who had abandoned him. He only cared to leave this place alive and disappear in the rugged lands of Rhudaur.

He told them Agandaûr was rumored to stay in Carn Dûm at all times, from where he reigned. Yet there were other rumours telling of a terrible man with a tall helmet marching west with a great host. He told them he had a personal bodyguard of Dark men from Mordor. They were very skilled with their two handed swords and their armour was something he had never seen before. Next Araphor inquired about any weaknesses of the sorceror.

“It is said he has no weaknesses and wields enormous power. It is said he was taught by Sauron himself in sorcery. Yet I have never seen him perform any.” Morholt said sceptically.

“He is arrogant and feels nothing but contempt for his adversaries.” he added.

Araphor pondered while smoking his pipe.

“Even if you face Agandaûr in battle you will never be able to fight him in person. Besides you'll first have to reach Carn Dûm and that is no small feat in itself.” Morholt said.

Araphor was still lost in thought it seemed, thus Melion replied.

“What do you mean? We know it is going to be a hard journey so we are prepared.”

“You don't understand.” Morholt said. “The lands surrounding Carn Dûm are in a state of perpetual winter. Blizzards are a daily occurance and can last for weeks. It is a barren wasteland where nothing grows. There is no shelter from the howling, freezing wind nor any opportunity to forrage food. You will never be able to hold a siege for longer than a year.”

Araphor suddenly spoke, staring in the distance.

“We have prepared supplies for years now and if my estimates are correct we can survive for more than four years from this point on. That is why we are moving so slow as we have a massive baggage train travelling with us. It is also the reason why I wanted to winter here closer to our own border so more of our supplies can reach us before we move next spring.”

He rose from his chair and looked at the Rhudaurian.

“According to my sources there is a fort just across this river here.” he said pointing on a map laying on the table.

“This is where we will winter next year. In spring we march up to Carn Dûm and cut down this serpent.” he said, slamming his fist on the table.

Araphor turned the map of northern Eriador on the table to face the Hillman.

“Now, Morholt, you will tell me of all the strongholds in Angmar, where they are, what garrisons they have, the troops they can field, what we might encounter on our travels north, eventual battle plans of the enemy and many more things. I want to know everything” Araphor sat back down.

“What makes you think I know all this? I such a lowley minion of a man I only met once.” Morholt replied.

Araphor's mouth widened in a most terrible smile.

“Because I know you were part of the inner circle of Agandaûr.” he said.

Morholt was very much surprised to hear this and it was visible on his face. He did not even try to deny it, the horror written on his face.

“Yes the Shadow isn't the only one who has talents in subterfuge.” Araphor said still with his smile.

“We know of your involvement in making the battleplans for the conquest of Eriador. We also know you were going to crown yourself King of Rhudaur when this was all over.”

Araphor rose from his chair and started pacing around.

“You see, we have been following you for some time now and it is not by mere chance that I am here.”

He stopped pacing and looked at his former adversary his face a stone once more.

“No I came looking for you because I knew you had all the information I needed.”

Araphor came closer to Morholt.

“I also knew you used to live in these parts and would one day return here. I merely waited for the right moment and struck.”

He was but an inch away from the Hillman's face.

“And now I have you here, right where I wanted you.” Araphor put on a wolfish grin.

Araphor returned to his seat.

“So now, my friend” he said seated once more.

“, let us start over again. Tell me all you know about Agandaûr.”

“Let your secrets bleed, after all we have all winter to discuss.”
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 18, 2020 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Change of Layout/minor changes/fixing spelling mistakes

Read it whole .
    I wonder what new challenges and opportunities Eldarion will face in Ost-in-Edhil .
    Will he be able to defeat the wildmen , or will he need any allies ?

Good story and +rep .
    I hate calling them 'AAR's', seems so formal, we already live in such a formal world ,'story' is better .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Good chapter! Araphor is a cunning interrogator, I wonder what secrets he will uncover and whether they will assist him in Carn Dûm.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    Read it whole .
    I wonder what new challenges and opportunities Eldarion will face in Ost-in-Edhil .
    Will he be able to defeat the wildmen , or will he need any allies ?

Good story and +rep .
    I hate calling them 'AAR's', seems so formal, we already live in such a formal world ,'story' is better .
    Thanks very much, and I agree with you entirely on the use of the word story, above AAR. All of your questions will be answered in the next chapter, whether or not you'll like it I don't know. Thanks for the support

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good chapter! Araphor is a cunning interrogator, I wonder what secrets he will uncover and whether they will assist him in Carn Dûm.
    Thank you, Araphor is as cunning as a fox who has just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University. (I wonder who'll know where that quote's from).

Content Emeritus

Book I, Chapter XX: Peace and War; Succes and Failure
    Late Spring 3001 TA: Nîn-in-Eilph, Royal Tharbad

It had been joyful to be on the road again with Gandalf. It reminded Eldarion of the good times when they had travelled through Cardolan together. Gandalf seemed to enjoy the company of his young friend as well. They talked about everything except for one thing. The Dunlendings. It caused a rift between the two friends and neither of them wanted to spoil the joyeus reunion. Yet they would have to talk about it eventually once they arrived at the city. Gandalf had somewhat changed his views concerning the Dunnish clans after the attack on the Elves. He saw them as a threat that needed to be dealt with, but not as extremely as Eldarion wished. Gandalf knew that if a new chief was to be installed, one that was not loyal to Saruman, they could pacify the region without much bloodshed. Eldarion however wanted to beat the living daylights out of them and harm them in such a way that it would take years to recover from, thus eliminating the threat. These issues were put under the ground until they approached Ost-in-Edhil. The conquest of the ancient city had been a quick one. It had only been lightly garrisoned and the Dúnedain swept through the ruined city in a matter of hours. Gandalf had released the captives from the battle to return back home which had angered Eldarion and his men. Eldarion had wanted to take them back to Tharbad as 'labourers'. He was eager to rebuild the ancient city and would have no problem in forcing his enemies to do this work for him. He called it 'repaying their debt'. What that debt was, Gandalf failed to understand. Eldarion said they would've been allowed to return home when the city had been rebuilt, of which Gandalf had no doubt. The Wildmen would have no place in Tharbad as long as Eldarion governed it.

As Eldarion walked through the streets of the ruined city he came to a building that had once been magnificent. It had not been completely destroyed by the fires that had raged through the city millenia ago. He saw that it used to be a grand forge. In Sindarin he still could discern some words on a burned doorpost. It was engraved in the precious metalwork. Gwaith-i-Mírdain which roughly translated to Brotherhood of the Jewel-smiths . It was written in an older variant of tengwar yet, under Gandalf's tutelage, he had learned all forms of elvish writing. This was the place where the rings of power had been forged in the Second Age by Celebrimbor. Eldarion looked in awe at the ruined building imagining what it would have been like when the Elves of Eregion were still around. Prosperous it used to be, being close to the then bustling Dwarven kingdom of Khazâd-Dûm. Eldarion knew its history quite well as ancient kingdoms of splendour and the rings of power had already intrigued him from when he had been a boy. Arnor was also one of those kingdoms, although, Eldarion thought, its people were not gone and still dwelt in the ancient kingdoms' lands.

One day it will be back, he thought, and I will be prince and one day King. Maybe even High King of a Reunited Kingdom.

These dreams of grandeur he shared with his father. Arnor and Gondor reunited once more under the line of Elendil. Nothing would be able to stand against the might of such a nation and peace would return to the lands he loved so dearly. He cared little for the lands of Gondor other than that he believed them to be rightfully his. He had never been there and therefore had no real connection with them. He did know there was but a small populace of pure blooded Dúnedain left in Gondor, mostly in Belfalas were the Amrothians lived. The rest of Gondor was a mixture of indigenous people and Dúnedain. Even the Steward and his family was not of complete Dúnedain descent.

Eldarion did not stay long in Ost-in-Edhil and handed control of it over to Elrohir almost immediatly. The city was Elrond's again and Gandalf and Eldarion marched back to Tharbad after a successful campaign. Eldarion never wanted to be from home for too long as he loved his wife and child immensely. This was the reason he always went home. On their way back they met no resistance and walked through a peaceful landscape. Back home, Eldarion began planning the rebuilding of Tharbad. It would probably start in a couple of years from now and the first priority was the Tharbad bridge. If the bridge was repaired, more trade would be able to enter Eriador from the south and thus enrich the Dúnedain in the North. Tharbad would be transformed from this ruin to the trade hub it had been in the beginning of the Third Age. Eldarion busied himself with this and looking after his family, and he was content to live in peace. For now.

Early Winter 3001 TA: Northern Arthedain, Bar-i-Donyonach

The northwestern campaign was going as planned at the moment. The combined forces of Clanherald Gráin and Hirvegil had taken the town of Fuirost. A tiny garrison had been present and had been no match for the Khazâd-Dúnedain alliance. Control of the region had been given to the Dwarves to extend their supply lines while marching towards Carn Dûm. After their victory, Hirvegil's forces marched to their next target, Bar-i-Donyonach in Northern Arthedain. The castle lay directly north of Fornost. They reached the castle in the early autumn of 3001 TA. With an army freshly resupplied from Fornost they began the siege of the castle. However, Hirvegil knew he couldn't tarry too long here because his forces were required for the assault on Carn Dûm. No more than a year could he siege the castle. If they did not surrender, die or sally he would have to assault it. It would be costly but he would have to manage. He had set up his main siege camp on the south side of the castle. That way he could easily be supplied and reinforced from the Dúnedain realm to the south of his position. The castle was completely surrounded and there was no escape. Several skirmishes happened each day to annoy the Orcs inside. The Rangers of the Dúnedain had superior range to the Orcish archers, even when they stood on the walls. They were divided into small groups who struck each time from a different side. The groups always attacked around sunrise or midday when the sun had reached its zenith, for that was the time when Orcs suffered most. Casualties on the Dúnedain side were very low while those on the enemies side were very high. Hirvegil was a careful man and sometimes let his men have some rest and leave the Orcs alone. Once they were accustomed to the calm he would sent them again and the whole cycle would begin again. Hirvegil thought this strategy would in the best case provoke the Orcs to sally or in the worst case they would mutiny and try and kill each other for that was the nature of Orcs. Hirvegil's only concern were the human inhabitants of the settlement. He would rather have the Orcs sally to safeguard the populace from the horrors of battle or mutiny among Orcs.

We'll see what happens. He often thought while walking through his camp.

The camp was well organised and the men were well fed. The best case scenario for a siege camp. A warm place to sleep and enough food to fill the belly. The men were in a happy mood and morale was high yet a shadow lay over their joy. Rumours had reached them of an Angmarim force that had penetrated through their defences and was marauding the countryside of the Northern Downs. What their destination was noone knew, what they did know was that Damrod, second son of Halbarad, was in charge for the defence of the interior. He was last seen camping a mere 20 miles from Amon Sûl. Hirvegil didn't know Damrod too well but he did know he was a easily riled youngster charged with his first command. Hirvegil hoped Araphor had taught the boy some patience when he had been his tutor. A rash decision could mean ruin for the realm.

Araphor. Hirvegil thought. Where is he and what is he up to? Whe haven't heard from him for over a year. Same with Melion who has presumably gone with him.

Last year they had heard some rumors of a great force wintering in Udanoriath. It could've been Aragorn with his forces for that was the vicinity were he was supposed to be. They had sent messengers in the spring of 3001 TA to investigate but upon their arrival they had found nothing but a dead Hillman hanging from a tree. It seemed that Araphor had eluded them once again, if it was him. Hirvegil didn't know what to believe anymore, he only hoped Araphor was safe and was not doing anything stupid. He was concerned for his long time friend and hoped he would see him again after this nasty business in the north. He was looking over a wintery landscape when a messenger approached him.

“Sir!” the messenger cried barely containing his excitement.

“Yes, what is it?” Hirvegil asked the young lad.

“I come to report from Damrod, sir.” the lad said.

“I come to report a great victory won a couple of miles east of here. The son of Halbarad has intercepted the Orc host and has defeated them.” he said proudly.

“That is wonderful news indeed.” Hirvegil replied with a smile. “Where is our promising commander now?”

“At the moment he is marching back south towards Amon Sûl. We have heard reports of an Orcish raider band west of Ost Sûl.” the messenger said.

“Good go... . West of Ost Sûl? You mean in the forests of the Bree-land?” Hirvegil asked in disbelief. “How could they have penetrated so deep into our territory without us knowing it. Wasn't young Damrod in charge of dealing with these threats?”

“Yes, sir we don't know how they got there but we are marching double-time to reach them.” the young man said.

“What about the Ost Sûl garrison. I hope Damrod has left some men to defend it?” Hirvegil asked although he thought he already knew the answer.

For the first time the young lad became reluctant to answer. Hirvegil insisted.

“Damrod has left one battalion of wardens behind.” he said nevously.

“So no garrison at all. If the Orcs attack the village they will massacre them all.” Hirvegil said more to himself than to the messenger.

He turned to the boy once more.

“Ride as fast as you can back to Damrod and tell him to march as fast as humanly possible back to Amon Sûl. If that place falls all of Eriador will be open to attack. Hurry hurry!” Hirvegil said while pushing the boy back on his horse.

While he saw the messenger leaving, he thought of another thing.

If Amon Sûl should fall all our armies would fall without supplies. The campaign would be lost because of the decision of one hotheaded boy.

He had to warn Aragorn, though it wouldn't help prevent this disaster. He would write a letter and sent it as fast as possible. At least then he would know that there might be a disturbance in the flow of supplies for a short or even a longer time, depending on what happened next. Worst case scenario they would have to wait a bit longer before advancing or even retreat.

Damn the youth and it's boldness. Hirvegil thought. It seems Damrod really is a son of Halbarad. Warlike and prone to impulsive decisions.

He sent a quick prayer to the Valar to save them from this disaster. There was nothing he could do. Even if he marched south he would never arrive in time to save Ost Sûl.

They had to hope for a miracle.

Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 18, 2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Change of Layout/minor changes/fixing spelling mistakes

Great chapter, the combination of the friendship and the rift involving Gandalf and Eldarion was well done.

The impulsiveness of Damrod created a dramatic situation, I wonder if he will carry our Hirvegil's order quickly enough to avoid disaster and how Aragorn will react to this news.

Content Emeritus

Great chapter, the combination of the friendship and the rift involving Gandalf and Eldarion was well done.

The impulsiveness of Damrod created a dramatic situation, I wonder if he will carry our Hirvegil's order quickly enough to avoid disaster and how Aragorn will react to this news.
    Thanks again Alwyn, I'm glad you liked it. Poor Damrod, only 16 years old, burdened with such a weight to carry. Let's indeed hope disaster can be avoided. As is with real life friends there can be subjects that are best avoided. The same can be said for Gandalf and Eldarion.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; June 10, 2018 at 03:19 PM.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE 10/06/2018]

Book I, Chapter XXI: The Battle for Rhudaur
    Early Spring 3001 TA: Rhudaur Lowlands, Nochva Rhaglaw

Aragorn's march into Rhudaur was without trouble until they reached Nochva Rhaglaw in the Autumn of 3001 TA. The village itself was rather insignificant. What was significant was the huge Orcish encampment surrounding it. They were divided into two forces, Nirven told them after scouting the enemy camp. The larger of the two had camped a couple of kilometers south of the town, thus Aragorn decided to set his camp on the northside. The smaller of the two, with their commander Ugbag, had stationed itself in the village. Aragorn consulted his fellow commanders to come up with a battle plan.

“Nirven, tell me all you have seen.” Aragorn inquired. The young man was very good at creeping up on enemy lines.

“The commander has taken his elite troops, I'd say around a thousand, into the village to enjoy its luxuries.” he said.

“The bulk of the orc host has camped a couple of kilometers south of the town and will probably not be able to reinforce the village in case we attack.”

Aragorn thanked Nirven and turned to Halbarad.

“What do you think?” he asked his loyal companion and friend.

“Let's go inside and crush this Orc Chief.” he said rubbing his hands.

Nirven interceded.

“Why don't we use our overwhelming ranged advantage? We could probably kill them all with our arrows.” he said

His father replied.

“Yes son, that would be nice, but where is the fun in that?” Halbarad said trying to explain.

“You have to feel your axe smash into an Orcish skull to appreciate the kill. Anyone of us can kill an Orc from a distance. It is in hand to hand combat we are truly tested.” Halbarad had a certain power in his voice that inspired men, but not his son. Nirven was unmoved and stared blankly in his father's eyes.

“Bah boy, you've learned too much of warfare from Hirvegil who only thinks it a nessesary evil instead of something to enjoy.” Halbarad said his voice rising in anger.

Aragorn intervened before Nirven could reply.

“Halbarad, your son has a point. We do have a lot of ranger companies in our force, and we do have still a long way to go. We can't risk most of our force here.” Aragorn said trying to reason with his friend.

Halbarad could be bloodthirsty and he loved battle more than anything else, some thought, yet he was not stupid and saw the merits of his son's plan, though he would never tell him.

“I guess you are right, Aragorn.” he said reluctantly. “Still I would love to make this 'Ugbag' aqcuainted with my axe.” he sighed patting the head of his battleaxe.

“It is your choice, my Chieftain.” he said eventually, conceding.

Aragorn nodded at Halbarad in aknowledgement of his loyalty, then turned to Nirven.

“Nirven, what do you propose we do?” he asked.

“I propose we approach the town from the southwestern and south side.” the young man said pointing on a map he had drawn of the encampment and its surroundings.

Halbarad couldn't contain himself.

“Turn our backs to the side where enemy reinforcements could come from? Are you brave or foolish boy?” he shouted.

Nirven continued calmly.

“They will never expect us to come from that side. Besides it will be the Rangers attacking and they can move almost unseen over the terrain. They won't know what will hit them.”

Halbarad laughed.

“So you do have some fire inside you. It is a risky move but I like it. What say you Aragorn?” Halbarad roared.

“Let's hear the rest shall we. Continue.” he said turning back to the young man.

“The cavalry archers, including you my Chieftain, shall assault their force from the eastern side. If all goes well we will not even have to enter the town.” Nirven explained.

Aragorn thought about it for a while then came to a decision.

“Let's do it! It's a ballsy move but one with a chance of great profit. When would you like to attack?” he inquired.

“Tonight. After the battle I suggest we take supplies from the town and retreat a couple of kilometers to the east. Once the other force moves into the town we come back and employ the same tactic.” Nirven said smugly, happy at least someone appreciated his intake on things.

“Don't be too bold my boy.” Halbarad said. “It's not because this tactic is the best for this situation, that it will be for the next. Next time they will be prepared for such a thing.”

Nirven was put in his place and he remembered something Hirvegil had once told him.

“Never underestimate your foe.” he had said. “Even if you have beaten him a hundred times and a hundred times over, someone might come up with something you have never seen before and surprise you.”

Aragorn was pleased to see that the younger generation had some wisdom in them and that the tutorship Nirven had been given by Hirvegil had been a great succes.

“Then we are agreed. Tonight we attack!” Aragorn proclaimed.

As said, so it was done. The Rangers led by Halbarad, who was the senior officer with his second in command Nirven, crept around the western side towards the southwest. Even with their superior nightvision, the Orcs did not see the cloaked ranger's approach. Aragorn in the meanwhile approached the village from the east. When the rangers had formed up in half a moon around the settlement they opened fire. Volley after volley was fired and the Orcs had no idea what was happening. Halbarad and Nirven focused their armourpiercing arrows for the most elite troops of the enemy. A rain of arrows descended on Nochva Rhaglaw from all sides. The Orcs tried to sally and find their tormentor but this only divided them more and made them more vulnerable. By the end of the night all the Orcs were dead. Nirven's plan had been very effective and there was no sign of reinforcements coming. Their gamble had paid off.

In the winter they returned and assaulted the village once again only this time with lower effectivness. Halbarad had been right, the enemy had been prepared for such a tactic. The arrows had run out before the enemy had been killed thus the infantry had to be involved, to the pleasure of Halbarad. He grabbed his battleaxe and charged into the horde of Orcs, singing and laughing as he killed Man, Orc and beast alike.

This is how you feel you are alive! He thought smashing his axe into an Orc his side, almost slicing him in half.

Nirven stayed behind, not out of cowardice but from a point of strategy. If the infantry tired he would send in the rangers and himself to relieve their compatriotes. If they all charged in at once they would be exhausted at the same time and that could lead to disastrous outcomes. In the end they prevailed and Rhudaur was theirs. There was no other resistance in the region, they only needed to march into the provincial capitals of the former Dúnedain kingdom and officially declare themselves ruler of it. They would stay here until the Spring hit again and march into the mountains of Gram, to the Orc stronghold of Shedûn.

As they camped and feasted a messenger arrived from the west. The messenger had come from Hirvegil's forces. He told Aragorn of the threat to Amon Sûl and how it had come to be. He also told that supplies would halt for a moment as their lines had been raided. He had seen the abandoned wagons himself on the way here.

Aragorn's face remained stone-like as he heard the news. Every war has its setbacks were his thoughts. He did not solely blame Damrod as it had been their plan to leave their center open. If he blamed anyone it was Araphor who had caused these changes in the plan. A harsh winter awaited them all.

Halbarad had mixed feelings about his second son. On the one hand he was proud of his bravery and achievement of defeating a Orc host. On the other hand by doing so he had compromised the realm by letting a raider band march right through their defences into their heartlands. Nirven only felt pity for his brother who had clearly made a mistake. He hoped the raider band would not do too much damage otherwise Damrod would have to live with the guilt for the rest of his life. Thus the eastern front began with a great victory and a slight setback.

The winter was harsh as Aragorn had predicted. The supplies were running low and the men were on a second period of rationing and there weren't any signs of new supplies coming in. They had to hope Damrod could reopen the supply line or they would all starve here. Prospects were bleak and they could only hope for spring to save them from this hunger.

Battle results

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    First battle of Nochva Rhaglaw

Second Battle of Nochva Rhaglaw

Unfortunately I don't have the battle results from this battle. I do however have some other screenshots from the battle.

Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 18, 2020 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Change of Layout/minor changes/fixing spelling mistakes

Finished reading it! The battle was in my style lol I generally hate losing men and prefer killing from distance. I hope the harsh winters won't turn the tide! Loved it! As always your writing style is awesome!
    My AAR- The Restoration of the Empire-A Vanilla Byzantine AAR

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 10/06/2018]

“Why don't we use our overwhelming ranged advantage? We could probably kill them all with our arrows.” he said

His father replied.

“Yes son, that would be nice, but where is the fun in that?” Halbarad said trying to explain.

“You have to feel your axe smash into an Orcish skull to appreciate the kill. Anyone of us can kill an Orc from a distance. It is in hand to hand combat we are truly tested.” Halbarad had a certain power in his voice that inspired men, but not his son. Nirven was unmoved and stared blankly in his father's eyes.

I like how father and son have varying opinions on grislyness and cruelty
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 10/06/2018]

A risky move, indeed! It's brave of the Rangers to attack when the odds are against them. The screenshots go well with your report of the battle (and it doesn't matter, at least for me, that you don't have a battle statistics screen from the second battle.)

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar16 View Post
    Finished reading it! The battle was in my style lol I generally hate losing men and prefer killing from distance. I hope the harsh winters won't turn the tide! Loved it! As always your writing style is awesome!
    Thanks Caesar, I appreciate it! It is the way the Northern Dúnedain are meant to play being a very heavy archer nation (at least in the early game). Yes a winter without a constant stream of supplies could prove detrimental to the progression of the war.
    Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    I like how father and son have varying opinions on grislyness and cruelty
    They are different yet so alike.

A risky move, indeed! It's brave of the Rangers to attack when the odds are against them. The screenshots go well with your report of the battle (and it doesn't matter, at least for me, that you don't have a battle statistics screen from the second battle.)
    Thanks Alwyn! For every man the Dúnedain can field, Angmar fields 10 Orcs. I'm glad to hear it didn't bother you as much about the screenshots, it surely did bother me .

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 25/06/2018]

Book I, Chapter XXII: A Sigh
    Late Winter 3001 TA: Northern Downs, south of Fornost.

Damrod had pushed himself and his forces to the limit of their strenght to reach Ost Sûl in time, only to find out upon arrival, their enemy had already moved away. The Orcs had moved west, through the Bree-land, and then north towards Fornost. Thus Damrod took his forces and marched them through the winter of 3001 to meet the enemy south of Fornost. His men exhausted and underfed from the two forced marches prepared for the final test of their hard journey. Battle. They were lean and hungry and out for revenge. They wanted to kill the ones who had inflicted them with countless sleepless nights and hard marching days. They were determined to right their wrongs as only young, proud men would. Damrod suffered the most from this, lying awake for hours in his tent only imagining the destruction of his home town, his dead friends and all those innocent civilians. They had finally caught up with their hated foe and it was time for retribution. They fell on their enemy with a fury not seen since the high days of Númenor. The Orcs put up a strong fight and the battle was fierce. The young of the Dúnedain, blinded with rage, did not even use their bows and simply charged swords drawn into the Orcish ranks. Many died on both sides in the bloody clash but the Dúnedain were the stronger force in the end. No Orc was allowed to run away and in their fury the Dúnedain victors stabbed, hit and kicked the corpses of their tormentors into a bloody pulp. When they had done that they let themselves fall on the ground, finally giving in to their exhaustion. There among the corpses did they sleep and when they woke up at sunset, they felt strained and hurt. They looked like a sorry bunch when they stumbled into the fortress of Fornost on a bleak winters afternoon. They were covered in dirt, blood and vomit. Yet soiled by all this they still had some pride shining from them. They had dealt with the threat and no permanent damage had been done to the realm. They had redeemed themselves.

Damrod sighed as he layed himself to rest. The nightmare was over.

Late Winter 3001 TA: Witchrealm, in a fort south of Carn Dûm

Melion shivered as the cruel northern wind tore through his winter cloak. Why had he come here, he often wondered. The Hillman had told the truth, this was an unforgiving place for all living creatures. When Morholt had told them everything he knew, Araphor had sentenced him to death by hanging. Melion had agreed that the man was a threat and would always be a threat to the king if left alive. The man had wanted to declare himself King of Rhudaur. What would have stopped him from doing the same again. Araphor had also decided to kill him for personal reasons. He had been one of the people responsible for the attacks on Amon Sûl, having worked on the plans. All in all it had been the best solution to kill him.

Thus Morholt's honesty had been repayed with death.

They had started their march without additional supplies as they had been halted by the raiders that Damrod had finally taken care of not long ago. Not dissuaded by this Araphor sounded his horn at the coming of spring and they had marched ever onward. In the summer of 3001 TA they had encountered a force of Hillmen and Orcs coming south. They had soundly defeated them, being leaderless and unable to cooperate with one another, and had continued further with their march north.

In late autumn they had reached what the locals called the Iron river. It marked the border with Angmar, the Witchrealm. Araphor was the first to cross this icey river. It was a risky crossing as the only bridge across was shaky at best. The crossing happened slowly and by the end of the day only half of their force had entered Angmar proper. The next day was spent getting the bagage trains across. This went almost without incident. When the last three wagons were crossing, the bridge collapsed. The wagons were swallowed whole with the horses and men.

There is no going back now. Melion thought as he saw the last man drown, caught by a rope from his sinking wagon, draggin him underneath the surface.

How many more will die in the coming year in this cruel land. Melion thought, filled with sorrow.

Not far from the river stood a castle. A place of shelter against the cold and cruel winds. This had been the place Araphor was aiming for. It was a bit ruined because of disuse, but it would have to suffice. With no hope of reinforcements or supplies coming this far north, they would have to do with what they had brought with them. With the loss of three wagons their supplies had been reduced to little more than 2 year's worth. They would have to assault Carn Dûm before next winter or they would starve to death in the freezing cold. Luckily they had been perpared for this and had brought warm clothing with them.

Not a lot of equipment had been lost with the sunken wagons as the Rangers all carried their own equipment with them. It was only for the regular troops that they needed wagons to carry equipment and of course for food. Araphor had brought with them one of the most professional troops in the entire realm. The very first battalions of Dúnedain in newly forged Arnorian styled armour with winged helmets and shields bearing the seven stars of Elendil and the sceptre of Annúminas supported with wings. As well as strong Dúnedain Blademasters, men renowned for their skill with their two handed blade. They wore dark brown to black leather armour over a hauberk of chainmail. A strong steel helmet was placed upon their head that went all the way to their jawline but did not cover their eyes and noses. Supporting them were Dúnedain in the same armour as the blademasters but on horseback. Not armed with a two handed sword but with a lance and sword. The rest of the army consisted of Rangers, Cardolani archers and swordsmen, Dúnedain wardens and Cardolani riders. An army that represented all the peoples of the Dúnedain realm of the north.

Arnorian Men-at-Arms and Blademasters

They had left Amon Sûl, two years ago, with an army of almost two thousand men, not even an expeditionary force in the days of Arnor. Now after various battles and the winter cold they only had around 1600 men left.

Not bad for a two year campaign. Melion thought as he sighed.

Now they would rest here and wait for spring. If spring would even reach this part of the world.

Early Spring 3002 TA: Nîn-in-Eilph, Royal Tharbad

It was the 5th of Gwaeron and thus the thrid birthday of Aglardis, Eldarion and Elenien's daughter, and a great feast was held in honor of the little girl. She had grown a lot and could already speak in sentences. She was known as a clever girl and was very inquisitive. Eldarion and Elenien encouraged her to explore and learn as much as she could. She was allowed to roam freely around the northern side of the city. Royal Tharbad was a peaceful place and all the people delighted in the sight of the little girl running around town. They would also often take her into the wild lands of Cardolan to teach her about plants and animals. So the family lived in bliss and the shadow of Eldarion's fury seemed a thing of the past.

Now all the children of the city had gathered for Aglardis' party. Gandalf was there as well and he had brought some fireworks with him. He had specially made them for the little girl's birthday and Aglardis loved them greatly. They exploded into butterflies in bright colours of green, blue, red and yellow or into stars that could be seen in the daylight. The party was a great succes and Eldarion and Elenien were looking affectionally at their child while she chased the butterflies. Elenien looked at her husband's face and saw a glint in his eye. She knew of the unrest in his heart and knew it wouldn't be long before he would depart again to fight. She never feared for his life, for she knew he was a great warrior, commander and tactician. What she feared was his ambition to cripple the Wildmen. She feared it would take control of him and would consume the man she loved. Every time now he had come back after his raids, but she knew he was planning something bigger. He did it in secret and hid it well but still she knew. She also knew that trying to dissuade him was a bad idea. He would not listen anyway and they would fight for no reason. She could sway him in all other things but not in this. She would just have to see how it would unfold.

Nothing of this was visible on Elenien's face when Eldarion looked at her. She looked so peaceful and happy and Eldarion was glad for it. He did not like to fight with his wife over the Wildmen problem. And a problem they remained. From Arveldir he still got numerous reports of Dunnish troops assembling at their capital of Dun Larach. He would have to tell his wife of his plan some day. He simply could not leave again without saying where he was going. Not like last time. Elenien had been furious with him for just abandoning them without telling, especially because Aglardis had been a baby at the time. No, this time he would have to act differently. He also suspected his wife might already know he was up to something. She was after all a clever woman and it sometimes seemed like she could read his mind. A trait all women seemed to share.

For now he sighed in contentment and embraced his wife as they saw the children play.

Battle results

Author's note: My apologies for the delayed release (being a two week hiatus). Let's say life got in the way. But it's here now! Enjoy!
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 18, 2020 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Change of Layout/minor changes/fixing spelling mistakes

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 25/06/2018]

I've just managed to read until 'the lay of the land' and I must say you have a very interesting story going on here, so many different possibilities. Your description of times that have gone by are great as well! Looking forward to catching up with this AAR +rep!

By the way, don't worry about the two week hiatus, I remember the times when the good AARs were updated consistently about once every fortnight, and still attracted a loyal following. What matters is your quality, not the quantity.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Good chapter! I particularly enjoyed your description of the way that the Dúnedain arrived at the fortress of Fornost, and the fireworks at the party for the daughter of Eldarion and Elenien provide a nice reminder of the peaceful lives that the Dúnedain are fighting for.

I agree with Swaeft that there's no problem with two weeks between chapters.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    I've just managed to read until 'the lay of the land' and I must say you have a very interesting story going on here, so many different possibilities. Your description of times that have gone by are great as well! Looking forward to catching up with this AAR +rep!

By the way, don't worry about the two week hiatus, I remember the times when the good AARs were updated consistently about once every fortnight, and still attracted a loyal following. What matters is your quality, not the quantity.
    Thanks very much! I hope you won't be disappointed with what I have delivered so far (one can only hope ). It's true what you say, quality over quantity, yet I like to maintain a stable uploading schedule if possible.

Good chapter! I particularly enjoyed your description of the way that the Dúnedain arrived at the fortress of Fornost, and the fireworks at the party for the daughter of Eldarion and Elenien provide a nice reminder of the peaceful lives that the Dúnedain are fighting for.

I agree with Swaeft that there's no problem with two weeks between chapters.
    Thanks again Alwyn for your continuing support! Yeah I also liked to touch upon a more peaceful side of the story, with all the war and bloodshed going about one might forget what one's fighting for. If Middle-Earth is ever saved Gandalf might begin his own fireworks shop
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; July 01, 2018 at 11:10 AM.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

I've read the last two updates and there's something gnawing at me: men seem to darken slightly, which might be due to continuing campaigns and war, though perhaps it might be the Eye's doing as well. Sleeping among orc corpses, thoughts of revenge and more killing of the wildmen? The Dunedain have to be wary of such dark influence. On the bright side, as Aragorn noticed, a new generation seems ready to pick up the banner and continue the work.

Great updates, +(well deserved)rep.
    There might be an issue with the pictures, I didn't see any in the last two updates.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    I've read the last two updates and there's something gnawing at me: men seem to darken slightly, which might be due to continuing campaigns and war, though perhaps it might be the Eye's doing as well. Sleeping among orc corpses, thoughts of revenge and more killing of the wildmen? The Dunedain have to be wary of such dark influence. On the bright side, as Aragorn noticed, a new generation seems ready to pick up the banner and continue the work.

Great updates, +(well deserved)rep.
    There might be an issue with the pictures, I didn't see any in the last two updates.
    Many thanks Darkan! Dark deeds for dark times. The Númenóreans have fallen before for such evil influences. You are right that they should fear such a path.

As for the pictures, I'll have a look at it. Maybe a problem with the album feature of TWC? I'll try to reupload the images and see if that fixes it. Thanks for bringing it up.