Thread: The viking Rus invasion of Persia, told by a 10th century chronicler

Default The viking Rus invasion of Persia, told by a 10th century chronicler

This tale describes the 943 Rus expedition through the Caspian sea, for decades they had been raiding coastal Caspian cities by that point, however, no expedition was as noteworthy as this one, as the Rus sailed upstream the wide Kura river and laid waste the region, raiding land and towns, remaining in the major city of Barda for for 7 months, launching assaults from fortresses they captured on the way, until they were forced to leave.

(the bolded text is just my writing to split the text in order to avoid a large text block)

The following is an extract from "The Eclipse of the Abbasid Caliphate" by the 9th/10th century Persian chronicler Ibn Miskawayh

Account of the exploits of the Rus and their issue

They are a mighty nation with vast frames and great courage.

They know not defeat, nor does any of them turn his back till he slay or be slain, it is the practice of the individual among them to carry his armor, while suspended upon his person an artisan outfit, axe, saw, hammer and the like.
    He fights with spear and shield; he wears a sword and has hung upon him a lance and an instrument resembling a poniard.
    They fight on foot, especially these invaders.

The Rus invade the Sallarids

When they reached the Kur they were met by Marzuban's officer who served as governor of Bardha'ah at the head of three hundred Dailemites and about the same number of Su'luks and Kurds.
    He also summoned the whole people of the place to arms and was joined by some 5000 volunteers anxcious to fight these invaders.

They were however under a delusion, for not knowing the might of the Rus, whom they expected to behave like Greeks or Armenians.
    When they met them in battle not more than an hour elapsed before the Rus made a fierce slaughter which routed the army of Bardha'ah; the volunteers and the rest of the troops turned their backs with the exception of the Dailemites, who stood their ground and were killed to a man, except such of them as were mounted.
    The Rus then pursued the fugitives to the town, whence everyone, soldier or civilian, who had a mount to carry him, fled, leaving the town to be entered and siezed by the Rus.

Rus capture of the capital of Arran, Barda, and face off incoming Muslim armies along with the hostile local populace

I was informed by Abu'l Abbas Ibn Nudar and a number of careful enquirers how the Rus when they hurried into the town made a proclamation to the citizens;

There is no dispute between us on the matter of religion; we only desire the sovereignty; it is our duty to treat you well and yours to be loyal to us.

The armies however came against them from all sides, only to be routed again by the Rus, who made sorties.
    When the Moslems charged the Rus, the people of Bardha'ah cried out Allah Akbar, and flung stones at the Rus.
    The latter had charge the people of Bardha'ah to restrain themselves, and not interfere between them and the Sultan; but thought this advice was accepted by the respectable classes, the common people and the rabble would not restrain themselves, but gave vent to their feelings by attacking the Rus when the followers of the Sultan charged them.

Failed evacuation of civilians and subsequent sack of the city

After some time they issued a proclamation that none of the inhabitants were to remain in the city after three days from the day of the proclamation.
    All who had mounts to carry them, their women and their children left the place.
    These however, were the small minority; when the fourth day came, the majority were still there, so the Rus put them to the sword, slaughtering countless numbers.
    After the massacre they bound over 10 000 men and lads with their women, their wives and their daughters; they proceeded to place the women and children in a fortress within the city called locally Shahristan, where they had taken up their quarters, lodged their troops and entrenched themselves.
    They then gathered the men into the Public Mosque, set guards at the doors and bade the men ransom themselves.
    Thus the Rus possessed themselves a vast amount of property. They retained for themselves the women and boys, on whom they gratified their lust, and whom they enslaved

News of Rus atrocities spread, Muslims gather a massive army for campaign against them, but they fail

When the terrible nature of the calamity was realized, and the Moslems in the different countries heard about it, they called for a general expedition.
    Marzuban b. Mohammed mustered the troops and called for a general enlistment.
    Volunteers joined him from all directions.

He marched at the head of 30 000 men, but in spite of the numbers that he had gathered, he was unable to make head against the Rus, or to produce any effect upon them.

Morning and evening he used to attack them, and regularly retired defeated.

The war continued to be waged in this style for many days, and the moslems were always vanquished.

Epidemic of dysentery spreads among the Rus because of excessive consumption of local fruits

It so happened that when the Rus had got into Bardha'ah, they indulged excessively in the fruit of which there are numerous sorts there. This produced an epidemic among them, as theirs is an exceedingly cold country, where no fruit tree grows, and the little fruit which they have is imported from distant regions.
    When their numbers begand thereby to be reduced, Marzuban, seeking for a stratagem, bethought him of laying an ambush for them at night.

Marzuban attempts to conquer the Rus again

He therefore arranged with his army that they should make a hurried attack; when the Rus charged, he with his followers should let themselves be routed, thereby encouraging them to hope they would be able to annihilate the Moslem army; when the Rus got beyond the place where the ambush lay, Marzuban with his followers should return to the charge and shout to the ambush a cry on which they had agreed; when the Rus hadthus got between the two forces, the Moslem would have them in their power.
    The morning after this scheme had been arranged, Marzuban with his followers advanced, and the Rus came out to meet them.
    Their commander was mounted on an ass, and his followers came out and ranged themselves in order of battle.

Feint retreat does not go as planned, Rus retreat to city with casualties

The usual procedure occurred.

Marzuban with the Moslems took to flight and were pursued by the Rus till they had got beyond the place of the ambush. Only the Moslems continued to flee.
    Marzuband afterwards narrated how, when he saw his followers act thus, and his earnest entreaties to them to renew the fight were unavailing, owning to the terror of the Rus which had seized their hearts, he recognized that if this went on, the Rus on their return would not fail to notice the ambush, which would in consequence be destroyed.
    So he said, I turned round myself with my personal attendants, my brother, my staff and my retainers, having made up my mind to die a martyrs death.

Thereupon most of the Dailemites were shamed into doing the like; we charged, cried out to the ambush, which issued forth behind the Rus, fought them in brave style and killed 700 of them, including their commander.
    The remainer made their way into the fortress and the town, where they had established their quarters and whither they had moved a quantity of food and stores, and where they housed their captives and their treasures.

(Marzupan continues his protracted campaign, but is then attacked by another Muslim ruler, the Hamdanid amir of Mosul, Nasir al-Daula, who launches a campaign of conquest, likely an act of opportunism because of the Rus invasion, which forces Marzupan to react and move westwards and successfully fend off the invasion)

The Rus grow weary and leave the land with their plunder

The followers of Marzuban continued to attack and besiege the Rus till the latter grew weary.
    The epidemic became severe in addition.
    When one of them died they buried with him his weapons, clothes and equipment, also his wife or some other of the womenfolk, and his slave, if he happened to be attached to it; this being their practice.
    After their power had come to an end, the Moslems disturbed their graves and brought out a number of their swords, which are in great demand to this day for their sharpness and excellence.
    When their numbers were reduced, they left by night the fortresses in which they had established their quarters, carrying on their backs all they could of their trasure, gems and fine raiment, and burning the rest.

They dragged with all women, boys and girls as they wanted, and made for the Kur, where the ships in which they had issued from their home were in readiness with their crews, and 300 Rus whom they had been supporting with portions of their booty.
    They embarked and departed, and God saved the Moslems from them.

On the prowess of the Rus warriors

From persons who witnessed these Rus, I heard stories of wonder of their prowess and contempt of the Muslim forces gathereed against them. Thus there was a story current in the region which I heard from many persons, how five Rus were assembled in a garden in Bardha'ah, one of them beardless lad of fair appearence, the son of one of their chieftains, with some captive women.
    When the Moslems learned of their presence, they surrounded the garden and a large number of Dailemite and others came together to fight these five Rus.

They tried hard to get a single prisoner out of the number but it was not possible, for none of them would capitulate, and they could not be killed before they had slain many times their number of the Moslems.
    The beardless lad was the last survivor. When he percieved that he was going to be captured, he mounted a tree that was near him, and kept slashing away his vital parts with his sword till he fell dead.

The End
    Last edited by Mamlaz; March 18, 2018 at 05:31 AM.

Default Re: The viking Rus invasion of Persia, told by a 10th century chronicler

You must be mistaken. Credible sources tell me the Vikings were a peaceful, productive people that fought only in self-defense.

I wonder how accurate these stories are. If I recall correctly, in Western Europe and the British Isles the Viking raiders were routinely decimated by actual armies. Outside of major invasions, their victories were mainly against defenseless coastal towns and isolated monasteries. Get it together, Marzuban.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Default Re: The viking Rus invasion of Persia, told by a 10th century chronicler

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    You must be mistaken. Credible sources tell me the Vikings were a peaceful, productive people that fought only in self-defense.
    It is those darn Christians and their propaganda I tell you

I wonder how accurate these stories are.
    Well, it comes from a Muslim Persian source, so, if anything, it will be biased against the Rus.

If I recall correctly, in Western Europe and the British Isles the Viking raiders were routinely decimated by actual armies. Outside of major invasions, their victories were mainly against defenseless coastal towns and isolated monasteries. Get it together, Marzuban.

Well, firstly, the Rus were quite different from the Danes and Norwegians, they raised far more powerful armies and had far superior cavalry.

Keep in mind that it was the Rus who managed to destroy the most powerful steppe empire in the region, the Khazars, while at the same time beating the hell out of the Volga Bulgars;

“Today not a trace remains of Bulghars, nor of Burtas, nor of Khazars. Because the Rus annihilated them all, took from them all their lands and made them their own. Those who survived fled to neighboring cities in order to remain close to their homes in the hope that they would make peace with them, and submit to the Rus.” - Muḥammad Abū’l-Qāsim Ibn Ḥawqal

After which they swooped in to kick the Pechenegs and after that the Bulgarians in the Balkans, only to be finally beaten by a newly organized Roman army.

They conquered an area several times the size of Britain.

Secondly, the trope that the viking armies were weak mobs in the West is equally flawed as the notion of them being unbreakable mighty warriors.

They did conquer most of England, sections of Scotland and Ireland and also seized Normandy for themselves.

It is natural that they will suffer defeats against properly led armies from time to time, especially considering how similar in equipment they were to Saxons and the British bunch.
    Last edited by Mamlaz; March 18, 2018 at 07:19 AM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Varangians were fierce in the campaign by Basil II in moslem lands too

Though likely not quite as fierce as George - The Mountain - Maniaces, who even varangian captain Harald Halderade (spelling), later king of Norway, regarded as a giant
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

And thus the 13th warrior was chosen.

Joking aside, Byzantium did have fun fighting Norman though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

What I find interesting in the source is the author stating the Muslims praising Rus swords for their excellence.

You'd think they would have access to superior stuff than 10th century pattern slavweld, but this is indeed not the only Muslim source that praises Rus swords as being superb.

In fact, nearly all Muslim sources that mention the Rus merchants, that I have read so far, mentions them bringing swords to sell in the Middle East.

Interestingly, Al Biruni states that Indian(crucible steel) has major issues in the cold winters of lands of the Rus(likely hardness+frostoverlongperiodoftime=brittleness), so the Rus rarely use it, which kinda makes hay at the whole Ulfbert mania.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Looks like Marzupan clearly didn't live up to his name, amirite folks?
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Quote Originally Posted by Mamlaz View Post
    What I find interesting in the source is the author stating the Muslims praising Rus swords for their excellence.

You'd think they would have access to superior stuff than 10th century pattern slavweld, but this is indeed not the only Muslim source that praises Rus swords as being superb.

In fact, nearly all Muslim sources that mention the Rus merchants, that I have read so far, mentions them bringing swords to sell in the Middle East.

Interestingly, Al Biruni states that Indian(crucible steel) has major issues in the cold winters of lands of the Rus(likely hardness+frostoverlongperiodoftime=brittleness), so the Rus rarely use it, which kinda makes hay at the whole Ulfbert mania.
    We shouldn't be that surprised. Analysis of Uflberht and other Viking swords have shown some to be of excellent quality, and not all Ulfberht were crucible steel. Pattern welded swords can be very good swords, allowing a hard edge and a softer more flexible cold, and might be better suited to fighting i cold weather, ifyou have to do that kind of thing.

The quality of a sword depended as much as the skill of the smith tnan where it was made. And the perhaps the local ore the Rus used had impurities that naturally improved the quality.

It is interesting to note we stop seeing the Ulfberht swords in the 11tn century, perhaps they realized the downside using them in cold weather?

Yeah, it would seem that the Rus indeed had access to pretty good steelcraft that was not crucible;

Hudud a l-‘A la m tells us that the Bus of Arthä make “blades and swords, which can be bent double, but as soon as the hand is removed, they resume their original shape"

So, perhaps high end Frankish production or we go with the alternate theory of yet unexplored local production around Kiev?

If I recall correctly, Dr. Alan Williams even suggested that the ulfberhts themselves were perhaps not Frankish or Scandinavian, but rather Rus swords exported westwards.

Yeah, it would seem that the Rus indeed had access to pretty good steelcraft that was not crucible;

Hudud a l-‘A la m tells us that the Bus of Arthä make “blades and swords, which can be bent double, but as soon as the hand is removed, they resume their original shape"

So, perhaps high end Frankish production or we go with the alternate theory of yet unexplored local production around Kiev?

If I recall correctly, Dr. Alan Williams even suggested that the ulfberhts themselves were perhaps not Frankish or Scandinavian, but rather Rus swords exported westwards.
    The high carbon content of crucible steel makes them more brittle and less flexible, although it leads to a harder, sharper edge. Western (European) swords prefered the flexibility of the lower carbon spring steel. Try bending a Japanese katana as you would an European saber, and you will break the katana. Does not make the European swords better or worse, just different. The statement of Hudud a l-A la m implies the Muslims of that region were not making their swords out of spring steel, but the Rus were. A ceramic knife is has hard edges, harder than steel, but is not recommended for cutting bone because it is more brittle than a steel knife.

I imagine at first the swords were imported to Russia, but the Rus would have very quickly learned how to make their own high quality swords.

Given the name Ulfberht is Frankish and clearly not Rus, I would imagine originally Ulfberhts swords were exported to the Rus, but later on it could have easily been the reverse, and the Rus exporting them westward. Ulfberht swords were made by a variery of different methods and types of steel, and variations on the spelling of the name imply different sources of manufactures. Most likely scenario is that originally, there was some swords with the name of Ulfbertht, implying Frankish or Viking origin, that that had a high reputation for quality, which were later copied by others trading in on the same name.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; April 07, 2018 at 01:59 PM.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Outside of major invasions, their victories were mainly against defenseless coastal towns and isolated monasteries
    "...then, suddenly, in the 9th century, a Russian state burst on to the historical stage.Its emergence was due to a symbiosis of the agricultural elites who controlled the tribal confederations and the Viking traders from the north, but a third factor was to be of great importance: Constantinople.The Vikings have established themselves in Russia partly in order to gain better access than they already had to Constantinople and its riches. And when these two elements-the Vikings and Constantinople- came into contact, an electrical charge was created which was to shake historical Russia into existence"
    From my bookshelf, Russia's Empires Their Rise and Fall: From Pre-History to Putin, Philip Longworth.
    Last edited by Ludicus; April 12, 2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    The high carbon content of crucible steel makes them more brittle and less flexible, although it leads to a harder, sharper edge. Western (European) swords prefered the flexibility of the lower carbon spring steel. Try bending a Japanese katana as you would an European saber, and you will break the katana. Does not make the European swords better or worse, just different. The statement of Hudud a l-A la m implies the Muslims of that region were not making their swords out of spring steel, but the Rus were. A ceramic knife is has hard edges, harder than steel, but is not recommended for cutting bone because it is more brittle than a steel knife.

Given the name Ulfberht is Frankish and clearly not Rus, I would imagine originally Ulfberhts swords were exported to the Rus, but later on it could have easily been the reverse, and the Rus exporting them westward. Ulfberht swords were made by a variery of different methods and types of steel, and variations on the spelling of the name imply different sources of manufactures. Most likely scenario is that originally, there was some swords with the name of Ulfbertht, implying Frankish or Viking origin, that that had a high reputation for quality, which were later copied by others trading in on the same name.

It could be perhaps the case that the Rus were trying to recreate the pattern of wootz with their own forging and thus, instead of succeeding, just became better at various techniques of pattern welding.

From the The Sword and the Crucible by Alan Williams;

"Al-Biruni adds that the "Rus" had invented a process of weaving together strips of soft iron and steel to produce a blade less likely to break than an oriental one, especially in the cold northern winters."

The "weaving" part is interesting, perhaps they swirled both the iron and steel together, spread into a blade, instead of the usual hard edge soft spine construction.
    Last edited by Mamlaz; April 14, 2018 at 06:56 AM.

It could be perhaps the case that the Rus were trying to recreate the pattern of wootz with their own forging and thus, instead of succeeding, just became better at various techniques of pattern welding.

From the The Sword and the Crucible by Alan Williams;

"Al-Biruni adds that the "Rus" had invented a process of weaving together strips of soft iron and steel to produce a blade less likely to break than an oriental one, especially in the cold northern winters."

The "weaving" part is interesting, perhaps they swirled both the iron and steel together, spread into a blade, instead of the usual hard edge soft spine construction.

I assume that "weaving" is the twisting together of several strips of iron with different carbon content together and forge welding them together which was done in making of pattern welded swords found in Europe. This pattern welding prodess come out of the piled construction where different layers of steel were welded together,

Just welding a high content layer of steel to make a sharp edge on a softer softer layer of steel i don't think is pattern welding. Pattern welding got its name from tne pattern seen on tne blade as a result of the different strips that had been twisted together.

This is another, later chronicler, Ali ibn al-Athir, describing the same event;

The Rūs Seizure of Barda’a” (332 A.H./943-944 A.D.)

In this year(332) armed bands of Rūs went by sea (the Caspian) to the region of Adharbayjān, going from the sea up the Kūr River (the Kura), which is a large river.

They eventually landed at Barda’a. The representative of al-Marzubān in Barda’a met them when he gathered a force from the Daylamis and [other Muslim] volunteers, which force numbered more than five thousand men.
    He engaged the Rūs, and it was only a short time until the Muslims were routed, and the Daylamis were killed to the last man.

The Rus then entered the town and the representative of al-Marzubān fled on whatever riding animal he could find. The Rūs encamped in the area and policed it for security. They were good in their conduct.
    The Muslim warriors drew near to the Rūs from every direction, and the Rūs were quarreling with each other, but the Muslims (the Muslim warriors) did not attack them.
    The masses of people in the district then came out and attacked the Rūs with stones, and injured them. The Rūs forbade this action, but the inhabitants did not refrain [from the assault], only the sensible ones who held back their inclinations, and it is known that neither the masses nor the mob can master their appetites.
    After this lasted for a long time, they ordered the people of the town to depart and [they said that] they would not attack the townsmen for an interval of three days, and an individual was free to leave with whatever possessions he could carry.

Most of the townsmen remained [in Barda’a] after the appointed time, and the Rūs then killed many people, and they took some ten thousand souls captive.
    They gathered those who remained in the Friday Mosque, and they said to the remaining townsmen: “You can either ransom yourselves or we will kill you.”

A Christian came forth and settled on twenty dirhams for each man.
    But the Rūs did not keep to their bargain, except for the sensible ones, after they realized that they would not receive anything for some townsmen.
    They massacred all of those [for whom they could receive no ransom], and only a few fled from the massacre.
    The Rūs then took the valuables of the people and enslaved the remaining prisoners, and took the women and enjoyed them.

The March of al-Marzubān to the Rūs and His Victory Over Them (332 A.H./943-944 A.D.)

The Muslims regarded the control of the people of Barda’a by the Rūs to be an important matter, and they assembled another army.

Al-Marzubān Ibn Muhammad gathered the people and he led them to war. He commanded as many as thirty thousand men, but he did not attack the Rūs [directly].
    He skirmished with them in the mornings and the evenings, but he returned defeated from these battles.

This continued in the same manner for many days. The Rūs then advanced in the direction of Marāgha. They ate a great deal of fruit which made them ill, and the number of Rūs who became sick and died from the tainted fruit steadily grew.
    When al-Marzubān saw that this situation continued, he devised a stratagem. He decided to conceal an ambush, march towards the Rūs with his army, and then recoil.
    The Rūs would engage in a pursuit, and his men who were concealed would fall upon the Rūs. He explained the plan to his followers and he set up the ambush.
    He then went out to engage the Rūs. He and his men attacked the Rūs and then recoiled. The Rūs pursued them until they arrived at the site of the ambush.
    They army of al-Marzubān maintained a unified front, and did not fight the Rūs one on one.

It is reported that al-Marzubān said:

“I told my men to return to the charge, but they did not move forward because they feared the Rūs.
    I understood that if my troops continued in their retreat, the Rūs would kill most of them.
    Then the Rūs arrived at the site of the ambush. They uncovered the men who were waiting in ambush and they killed those who had left [their positions].
    Then I personally returned to the charge, with my brother and my minister following me. I prepared myself mentally for martyrdom.
    Then most of the Daylamis returned to help us, feeling ashamed [of their cowardice].

They came and did battle with the Rūs, and we called the signal for our other men who were still hidden in the ambush to come out and assist us.
    They attacked the Rūs in the rear, and we took the initiative against them in battle.
    We killed many of the Rūs, including their prince.
    The rest of the Rūs retreated to the citadel of the town, which is called Shahristan.
    This is the location to which they moved their many possessions, and where they placed their prisoners and their booty.”

Al-Marzubān then surrounded them and strengthened his forces. He then received news that Abū ‘Abd Allah al-Husayn Ibn Sa’id Ibn Hamdāni had gone to Adharbayjān and proceeded to Salmās.
    Abū was the cousin of Nāsir ad-Dawla, and was sent by the latter to take possession of Adharbayjān. When news of this reached al-Marzubān, he left his men, who were maintaining a blockade of the town, and he marched to Abū Ibn Hamdāni.
    They fought a battle, but snow began to fall and Ibn Hamdāni’s troops disbanded because most of them were Bedouin.
    Then Abu Ibn Hamdāni received a letter from Nāsir ad-Dawla, informing him of the death of Tūzūn and of his intention to go to Baghdād.
    Nāsir ordered Abū Ibn Hamdāni to return to him and he did so. As for the followers of al-Marzubān, they continued to give battle to the Rūs.
    When the Rūs buried one of their men, they buried his weapons with him. The Muslims thus found many things after the departure of the Rūs.
    The Rūs spent the night in the citadel, and then they took what they wished from their booty on their backs and went to the Kūr River (Kura), and sailed away in their ships.

The followers of al-Marzubān were were too weary to pursue them, so they gathered their things and they left Barda’a.

And so Allah cleansed the Rūs from the land.

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

It is those darn Christians and their propaganda I tell you
    There are also the evil scientists.

As Tom Shippey puts it in his Laughing Shall I Die:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The trouble with 'Vikings'

If you say a question has an obvious answer, it's only fair to say why the answer hasn't been given already - especially after many decades of scholarly study. It's because there's a problem with terminology, and a problem with cultural attitudes, especially in the world of modern scholarship. To put it bluntly (again), most scholarly books with 'Viking' in the main title turn out not to be about Vikings, because Vikings aren't popular among scholars. This book is different: it really is about Vikings.

The fact is that in the Vikings' own language, Old Norse, vikingr just meant pirate,marauder. It wasn't an ethnic label, it was a job description. And what this means for us is that you come across headlines which say something like 'Vikings! Not just raiders anymore!, then the headlines are wrong. If people weren't raiding and looting( and land grabbing, and collecting protection money), then they had stopped being Vikings. They were just Scandinavians. But while most Vikings were Scandinavians, most Scandinavians definetely weren't Vikings, not even part-time. The two groups should not be confused, not even with the aim of making 'the history of the Vikings look nicer'

The trouble is that raiding and looting, pirating and marauding, are(and this is,for once, putting it very mildly) not congenial topics in the modern academic world. So academics make a quit shift. The trend was started in 1970 by a book called The Viking Achievement , with chapters on 'Trade and Towns', 'Transport', 'Art and Ornament' and so on. These weren't Viking achievements at all, they were Scandinavian achievements, created by - This is a later book's more honest title 'The Norsemen in the Viking Age'. But Vikings make modern academics uneasy.

...Jonathan Clements's Brief History of the Vikings (2005) asks wether they were 'The Last Pagans or the First Modern Europeans'. The latter option is preferred: Vikings, we're told, promoted Euopean integration. Anders Winroth's The Age of the Vikings (2014) 'looks at Viking endeavors in commerce, politics,discovery and colonization'. One can see the sidestep there: all those were Scandinavian efforts, not Viking ones at all, but they are much more acceptable as topics than piracy and marauding. In short, many books proclaimed at being about Vikings actually back away from real Vikings,the pirates and marauders, retreating to scholarly comfort zones of exploration,trade,urban development and distanced narrative history. All of which is admittedly party of the story. Just not the only part...

Last edited by LaMuerte; March 17, 2019 at 06:13 PM.