Thread: help with overheating

Default help with overheating

PC came from cyberpower where I specified the components.

Basically the CPU temp is never below 50 degrees. Right now, just browsing the internet, it is at 75. Playing any modern game pushes it up to the 90s. Obviously that is bad, very bad.

I've added extra fans and updated the BIOS, yet it is no better. Actually I myself didn't add the fans, took it to a PC repair shop and they did it. I've used compressed air to clean the inside and visibly I have no idea why it is doing this.

I can post specs and pictures if anyone is able to help. The motherboard stays at a nice 38 degrees if that matters at all.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: help with overheating

Might be a problem with the thermal paste. Take off your cpu cooler, and see if it's properly put on. In any case, remove what is there and add some yourself, just a small amount, rice-grain/pea size, and put your cooler back on. Leave the computer on for a few hours (feel free to use it), and you shouldn't have a problem
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Pretty sure my liquid cooler is dead. Its a 550LC from asetek. I felt the hose and it was hot. Guess it is sending warm water to the CPU. Awesome lol

Blog Entries

Do you have another cooler available to us? And pretty sure Cyberpower should replace the liquid one, seeing it's this new it should be under warranty
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Do you have another cooler available to us? And pretty sure Cyberpower should replace the liquid one, seeing it's this new it should be under warranty
    Got a new cooler coming in. Going with air cooling sense it seems to be more reliable.

PC is not that new, about 3 years old

Blog Entries

Air cooling is very reliable, I've had the classic 212 EVO for 6ish years, keeping temps down, though I've changed thermal paste and processors a couple of times in addition. Never overclocked though. Sending Cyberpower a mail wouldn't hurt, maybe Antek aswell if you know the warranty period. What's the laws on that? In Norway there's a 5 year warranty on all electronic products, where the store you bought it from is responsible for any failures.
    and Peaman

Warranty has expired.

As far as US law goes, I don't believe it requires warranties. Laws and regulations only set out the expectations on warranties if the seller chooses to offer them, but there is no mandate to offer them. Broadly anyway, there is probably products and goods that do have required warranties, like certain safety items perhaps. But not on PCs

Blog Entries

Ah, too bad. Well, getting a cheap-o air cooler should do the job just fine, if the liquid doesn't work. Give me your cpu, budget and whether you overclock or not and I'll recommend one
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by ggsimmonds View Post
    Pretty sure my liquid cooler is dead. Its a 550LC from asetek. I felt the hose and it was hot. Guess it is sending warm water to the CPU. Awesome lol
    AIO Liquid coolers are based on small motor pumps that can fart out sometimes. In which case coolant circulation stops and the heat isn't dissipated anymore, resulting in rise of CPU temps. The Coolant itself becomes hot as well since it's unable to circulate and reach the AL\CU heat dissipating fins.