Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Attack on Rendlesham (Starting Event Part 2)

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Default Re: The Attack on Rendlesham (Starting Event Part 2)

With the fight over Thorfast dismissed his men, off the leash the joined their fellow kind in the sack of Rendlesham.

He however refrained and instead made sure his baggage train had arrived and were secured for the coming days, they had amassed a large loot from Ipswich to Rendlesham which he would hopefully put to good use rebuilding what was lost and strengthening his growing warband.

With the administration out of the way, Thorfast made his way into the throne room.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Séverus Sñape View Post
    Ivar and his warband responded with a victrious cry, having sustained minimal losses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Ásbjorn and his men had joined the main assault during the assault on the capital of East Anglia, doing their best to make their way through huskarls and fyrdmen. The mail had been a good investment, Ásbjorn thought as he saw several of his comrades cut down or pierced through the heart. It was no surprise raid on a sleepy fishing village, but an actual battle with men trained for war. Fortunately, the surprise attack had taken their enemies with their pants down and soon the city was theirs. The sight of the fleeing Saxon king made the Danes roar with laughter as they hurled insults after him. Bragrhjarta was less pleased to see such a prize escape, but one day his head would mount the walls of their kingdom.

The men from Jelling joined the rest in the great hall. None would argue with Viggo Ragnarson about the right to that throne - they had joined him because he was known as a man of strength and honor. Ásbjorn looked to his men and they began banging their weapons against their shields, chanting a guttural war cry before ending it with a roar. Bragrhjarta then spoke loudly so all in the hall could hear him.

"Hail, King Viggo One-Eye! Hail, brothers under the banner of the Blood-Eagle! For victory, for Odin, for eternal glory in Valhalla!"
    Viggo grunted and let the 'title' One-Eye pass his thoughts for a minute. He wasn't to inclined to lose the eye but it sure did have a nice ring to it. After the initial war cry's had died down and some of the men started to chat among themselves Viggo stood up again. He walked towards Ivar and placed his hand on his shoulder. "You and your men fought well Ivar. I am happy that you came along." He said while he waited for a response.

After his conversation with IVar had concluded he made way towards Asbjorn. Viggo gave a friendly punch on Asbjorn's shoulder whilst he was talking to one of his men. "Asbjorn I was informed you fought bravely. I am glad Odin saw it fit for you and your men to accompany me." He said plainly

After all his conversations have concluded he roared once more "Now we feast and honor those that went to Valhalla!". Soon food would fill the hall and the preferred Viking beverage would be flowing richly..

Quote Originally Posted by QoreArqamani View Post
    Ingmar on the other hand was just incredibly bored "That's all nice and good , hail the king and all of that , but can we get to the part where we dole out the treasure please?" He questioned with a raised brow and an expression of supreme disinterest.
    Having initially ignored this made sure to engage in a personal conversation while everyone was getting wasted. Viggo was a broad and strong man but above all he was a very tall man. He towered above Ingmar as he approached. "Ingmar" Viggo said, not particularly amused. "You will get what is yours. If you had listened you would've heard it." Viggo paused, gazing at the man. "Tomorrow you'll get your gold." he concluded before he went off and was available for any other to talk too.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Morten strolled into the hall, flanked by his two companions and approached Viggo where he sat on the throne of East Anglia. Around them the other Danish war leaders were bustling around the room, many having already begun drinking. With Jon and Hruodland following close behind, Morten bowed deeply, before straightening and beaming: "We've done it father! We've established a foothold as no Danes have done before!" He looked at the other men rushing around the room. "I suppose this makes the lot of them lords now," he said with a hearty laugh. "Do you still want me to see to the distribution of all plunder equally?"

Ivar wiped a bit of grime from his cheek. "We shan't ever miss a fight, Lord." He said to Viggo. "What's next? This rabble seems routed."

QoreArqamani's Avatar Foederatus

Ingmar nodded , his father had been tall too , and that would not be enough to intimidate him anymore "Good." He had no great grudge against Viggo , he couldn't have after all the clan of the son of Ragnar lived quite the distance away from his own. The issue was the other side of that , having rarely even ran across the new king before the planning of the great raid he held no particular fealty or loyalty to him, stories were not enough to inspire real respect from a wild dog like him.

Torhild on the other hand seemed much more civil and though she was not one for socializing her curiosity eventually got the better of her , compelling her to approach their new king "King Viggo , I have questions for you regarding your future plans , though I know tonight is one for mead and mutton."

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Aslaug had joined in on the warcry that roared through the hall as Viggo 'One-Eye' took his throne. Her place in the party that broke through the gate had not gone unnoticed, and now she stood at the very front of the many rows of vikings that had assembled, a bottle of wine as red as the bloodstains on her mail already half-empty.

Egil, one of the few who had not yet made their way into the palace by the time the Angle king fled, had truly made an effort to pursue. At first his horse had held up pursuit fairly well, but soon it became clear that the long march and the assault on Rendlesham had tired out the slender horse, its stamina quickly failing. Recognising the futility of the chase, he'd allowed his horse to rest and graze for some time before returning to the Angle capital. Danes were feasting and fornicating in the streets. Some of the captured women remained defiant, but most had apparently accepted their fate, or maybe their spirits were simply broken. True resistance was nowhere to be found in the ravaged and scarred town. Its houses stood broken, its streets were littered with armed and unarmed dead. Egil rode on.

As he stepped foot in the crowded hall, helmet in one hand, his other was quickly filled with drink. As he took a sip, he surveyed the hall. Some of those assembled he knew, most were complete strangers. All were celebrating like brothers. Tonight, there would be no forced marches. Only forced drinking, he thought to himself as he downed his entire mug. Victory tasted like good ale, and tonight, like well-earned women.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Blog Entries

Ivar wiped a bit of grime from his cheek. "We shan't ever miss a fight, Lord." He said to Viggo. "What's next? This rabble seems routed."
    Viggo smiled and nodded. "I expected nothing less. I'm going to keep you close Ivar." he replied.

Ingmar nodded , his father had been tall too , and that would not be enough to intimidate him anymore "Good." He had no great grudge against Viggo , he couldn't have after all the clan of the son of Ragnar lived quite the distance away from his own. The issue was the other side of that , having rarely even ran across the new king before the planning of the great raid he held no particular fealty or loyalty to him, stories were not enough to inspire real respect from a wild dog like him.

Torhild on the other hand seemed much more civil and though she was not one for socializing her curiosity eventually got the better of her , compelling her to approach their new king "King Viggo , I have questions for you regarding your future plans , though I know tonight is one for mead and mutton."
    Viggo nodded and said "What would you wish to discuss?" he asked plainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    Aslaug had joined in on the warcry that roared through the hall as Viggo 'One-Eye' took his throne. Her place in the party that broke through the gate had not gone unnoticed, and now she stood at the very front of the many rows of vikings that had assembled, a bottle of wine as red as the bloodstains on her mail already half-empty.

Egil, one of the few who had not yet made their way into the palace by the time the Angle king fled, had truly made an effort to pursue. At first his horse had held up pursuit fairly well, but soon it became clear that the long march and the assault on Rendlesham had tired out the slender horse, its stamina quickly failing. Recognising the futility of the chase, he'd allowed his horse to rest and graze for some time before returning to the Angle capital. Danes were feasting and fornicating in the streets. Some of the captured women remained defiant, but most had apparently accepted their fate, or maybe their spirits were simply broken. True resistance was nowhere to be found in the ravaged and scarred town. Its houses stood broken, its streets were littered with armed and unarmed dead. Egil rode on.

As he stepped foot in the crowded hall, helmet in one hand, his other was quickly filled with drink. As he took a sip, he surveyed the hall. Some of those assembled he knew, most were complete strangers. All were celebrating like brothers. Tonight, there would be no forced marches. Only forced drinking, he thought to himself as he downed his entire mug. Victory tasted like good ale, and tonight, like well-earned women.
    As Viggo saw Egil enter he moved towards him. "Egil" he said with a smile and hope. "How was the hunt for that wretched coward?" he asked brimming with optimism.

QoreArqamani's Avatar Foederatus

"After we find their king and dispose of him , what next? We will be newcomers in this land , with a population that for the most part will hate us , we do not share a god , or culture , or kinship with them , the only things even similar are our languages...how will we hold this land long enough to forge it into a true kingdom when the whole of Bretonland will surely be against us , and more than willing to take up arms if the stories of my brother ring to truth."

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    As Viggo saw Egil enter he moved towards him. "Egil" he said with a smile and hope. "How was the hunt for that wretched coward?" he asked brimming with optimism.
    Egil gave a faint smile. "Whereas they stand no chance fighting us, it would appear that the enemy is quite adept at fleeing," he mused. "I nearly ran my steed to the point of collapse, but yet I could not hope to come in reach of a well-placed arrow in his ribcage. In the end, I had to give up the pursuit lest I be caught unawares and alone by those Angle dogs." He took quite a large swig. "However, rest assured he will not be able to hide or run for long. Soon, his blood shall wet the iron of our axes." He then, slightly less casually than he would have wanted, changed the subject. "If I may ask, will you be able to retain the eye?" Egil inquired. "I have heard the men speak of Viggo One-Eye, a title Thor himself would fear, but yet I cannot fathom losing one myself."

"A wise choice, Lord." Ivar replied. He had picked up some trinkets for himself along the way, including a large gold cross which now hung around his neck and put into sharp contrast his simple wooden carving of Thor's Hammer. He intended to melt it down to make some more arm rings.

Blog Entries

"After we find their king and dispose of him , what next? We will be newcomers in this land , with a population that for the most part will hate us , we do not share a god , or culture , or kinship with them , the only things even similar are our languages...how will we hold this land long enough to forge it into a true kingdom when the whole of Bretonland will surely be against us , and more than willing to take up arms if the stories of my brother ring to truth."
    Viggo politely smiled. "There no need to trouble yourself so much. Now we feast and later we will divide lands to pacify." He then said kindly, handing over a cup filled with drink to the man before excusing himself. He had drinking to do as well.

Egil gave a faint smile. "Whereas they stand no chance fighting us, it would appear that the enemy is quite adept at fleeing," he mused. "I nearly ran my steed to the point of collapse, but yet I could not hope to come in reach of a well-placed arrow in his ribcage. In the end, I had to give up the pursuit lest I be caught unawares and alone by those Angle dogs." He took quite a large swig. "However, rest assured he will not be able to hide or run for long. Soon, his blood shall wet the iron of our axes." He then, slightly less casually than he would have wanted, changed the subject. "If I may ask, will you be able to retain the eye?" Egil inquired. "I have heard the men speak of Viggo One-Eye, a title Thor himself would fear, but yet I cannot fathom losing one myself."
    Viggo nodded, he was disappointed but did not seem to blame Egil. His words sounded true. "I trust you will find him. I'm making you responsible for that Egil. I trust you can see to the task at hand." He said to Egil, trusting him with this great task.

Now Viggo sighed, the situation with his eye had been developing in a manner he had not thought about. "I fear it's not going as well as I thought. The eye itself was not hit during our first attack but it seems to have gone festering. I still have some vision but it's swollen and starts to smell. They might take it out soon. We shall see, the title is something that would indeed inspire fear in the hearts of many men but if I had my way I would rather have optimal vision for the campaigns to come" he said worried.

"A wise choice, Lord." Ivar replied. He had picked up some trinkets for himself along the way, including a large gold cross which now hung around his neck and put into sharp contrast his simple wooden carving of Thor's Hammer. He intended to melt it down to make some more arm rings.
    Viggo smiled and nodded. "Now it's time to enjoy a well earned feast." He said before gulping down some liquor, a horn which was close at hand.
    Last edited by General Brewster; March 21, 2018 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Viggo politely smiled. [COLOR=#006400]
    Viggo nodded, he was disappointed but did not seem to blame Egil. His words sounded true. "I trust you will find him. I'm making you responsible for that Egil. I trust you can see to the task at hand." He said to Egil, trusting him with this great task.

Now Viggo sighed, the situation with his eye had been developing in a manner he had not thought about. "I fear it's not going as well as I thought. The eye itself was not hit during our first attack but it seems to have gone festering. I still have some vision but it's swollen and starts to smell. They might take it out soon. We shall see, the title is something that would indeed inspire fear in the hearts of many men but if I had my way I would rather have optimal vision for the campaigns to come" he said worried.
    Egil nodded. "Ah, the thrill of the hunt. No quarry more challenging than man," he mused. "Especially if said man is surrounded with armed guards," he then added, his ever optimistic smile on his face. "Do not worry, even if we do not meet this King in battle I shall find a way to draw him out and deal with him. I do not wish to brag, but I do have a certain knack for silently killing my prey."

He took a closer look at the eye. It looked like the cut was quite shallow, were it not for the large bulging mass of infected flesh that surrounded it. He'd see his fair share of infections in his days as a hunter, and although he'd always left the healing to the women, he knew this one looked bad. "I'm sure the heathens will fear you regardless the outcome," he said after carefully considering his words. He then shuffled around a bit awkwardly. "You're King now, Viggo," he said somewhat meekly now. "Have you decided yet how you will fill your Hird? Although the bow is my weapon of choice, I am trained in hand to hand combat as well. If you need a Hirdman, I'd be glad to serve at court." He then regained his smirk. "Although I consider myself to be more of a Merkismadr," he laughed, although the remark had a hint of seriousness.

Ivar himself raised a horn to his mouth, tasting the ale. His smile did not vanish as he wiped his mouth and glanced about to his assembled fellows. He wondered if they would ever pose rivals to him, somehow he thought, they would not. Odin held some higher purpose for him.

Blog Entries

Egil nodded. "Ah, the thrill of the hunt. No quarry more challenging than man," he mused. "Especially if said man is surrounded with armed guards," he then added, his ever optimistic smile on his face. "Do not worry, even if we do not meet this King in battle I shall find a way to draw him out and deal with him. I do not wish to brag, but I do have a certain knack for silently killing my prey."

He took a closer look at the eye. It looked like the cut was quite shallow, were it not for the large bulging mass of infected flesh that surrounded it. He'd see his fair share of infections in his days as a hunter, and although he'd always left the healing to the women, he knew this one looked bad. "I'm sure the heathens will fear you regardless the outcome," he said after carefully considering his words. He then shuffled around a bit awkwardly. "You're King now, Viggo," he said somewhat meekly now. "Have you decided yet how you will fill your Hird? Although the bow is my weapon of choice, I am trained in hand to hand combat as well. If you need a Hirdman, I'd be glad to serve at court." He then regained his smirk. "Although I consider myself to be more of a Merkismadr," he laughed, although the remark had a hint of seriousness.
    Viggo laughed a loud for a bit but in a positive way. "Ah Egil this is exactly why you are the man for this task. Find that pathetic excuse of a king, if you need more men all you need to do is ask and I will make sure they are provided. I will not have some Saxon pretender threatening our new lands." He concluded.

He listened carefully to what Egil had to say next. He fained a smile on the remarks about his eye, Odin had a plan he was sure of it. Hee hadn't given much thought to positions yet he realized. Even though he had been choses to lead this great venture he had never fully grasped the idea of becoming the King of these newly acquired land. Nonetheless he now was it and should ponder more on these matters. It seems like the hard part starts now. "I fear that I have not yet given much thought to positions as of yet. I will enjoy the feast now and focus on positions when we are sober" he said while laughing at the end of his sentence. "Come Egil we must drink now!" he added.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12