Thread: Myanmar (Burma)

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Myanmar (Burma)

Hey folks. I'm heading to Myanmar in Eastern with family visiting some international friends for 10 days. Anyone got experiences to share?

I've heard that all the borders are hazardous to traverse, so best to keep away. I've gotten some loose tips about Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle lake is the standard course to take. That Bagan looks beautiful from a balloon ride. Other than that, I'm pretty much ignorant.

Cheers,

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Default Re: Myanmar (Burma)

Hey bro. Berman govt had done many harms to other religion people a few months back. So, it's better to avoid such people dominated areas. And of course, don't roam around borders cause Indian or Bangladesh govt may catch you if you cross the Intl. border by mistake. Good luck.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Suggest you have a read of https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/burma (or your own nationalities equivalent).
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Burma has really opened up in the last few years. I know a girl who lived there for a while and loved it, and a guy who went on holiday there a few months ago. I think as long as you stay well away from the conflict-stricken ethnic minority regions it's no different to the rest of South-East Asia, except more untouched and authentic. There are plenty of countries with serious regional conflicts that are also big tourist destinations after all - India, Turkey, Mexico, Brazil, etc.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."