Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: New Campaign pack for R2! :)

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Default Re: New Campaign pack for R2! :)

Quote Originally Posted by KLAssurbanipal View Post
    No India.
    Please tell us if Greece or Italy are in there. I don't care what other regions are included.

Knowing CA's strategy, seems like some Ben Hur's inspired campaign if its indeed focus on the Eastern Mediterranean.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Very interesting - wish I knew what it was so I could make / help make something related to it in time for its announcement.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Mithradatic wars. Then.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius_Brutus_Caepio View Post
    Mithradatic wars. Then.
    KLA said someone was correct, so either Jewish revolt, Alexander, or Troy. I don't see why CA would go to Troy territory which requires a lot of historical research and I don't see these men as Macedonian nobles either, so Jewish revolt it is.

If that's the case, it's a pass from me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    KLA said someone was correct, so either Jewish revolt, Alexander, or Troy. I don't see why CA would go to Troy territory which requires a lot of historical research and I don't see these men as Macedonian nobles either, so Jewish revolt it is.

If that's the case, it's a pass from me again.

If it is jewish revolt i will pass too. About the nobles, maybe they are Persian or Pontic...

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Theofanis the Aetolian View Post
    If it is jewish revolt i will pass too. About the nobles, maybe they are Persian or Pontic...
    Imagine what type of warfare we will see, legions vs plebs/slaves?

I really hope they're Pontian. That would mean Southern Balkans and Anatolia are included with tons of historically interesting factions and events. But of course 99% that won't be the case. Who are we kidding?!

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

What I find particularly intriguing about the small amount of Campaign information they give us here is the phrasing:

Apart from the Free-LC, the historical new content team is also developing a campaign pack set in a specific location and time period. This particular combination of time and space has barely been touched by ROME II’s current content and comes with a very detailed new campaign map, brand new units, and factions familiar and new. There are also a number of new gameplay mechanics that aim to explore other ways of conducting total war in ROME II.
    "Barely" is not the same as "not at all." Which suggests whatever it is connect to, it's already in the game in some limited form. Which has me wondering about Alexander, the Diadochi War and Persia.

• Alexander doesn't appear in Rome 2 at all, but his actions set up much of the geopolitical situation and many of the factions in the Eastern half of the map.
    • The Diadochi appear in the form of several factions, but there's no formal Diadochi War as such.
    • Persia may qualify as "barely" being in Rome 2, as they're only a minor faction in the Grand Campaign, though they do appear as non-playable antagonists in Wrath of Sparta.

Then again, is that already too much of a part of the game to be "barely..."

I honestly don't know. But am looking forward to finding out.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Also, another speculation would be considering KLA's involvement and the first thing that came into my mind was some beautiful and historically accurate phalangites which makes me hope even more for at least a Mithridatic or Diadochi Wars.

Also, another speculation would be considering KLA's involvement and the first thing that came into my mind was some beautiful and historically accurate phalangites which makes me hope even more for at least a Mithridatic or Diadochi Wars.

Personally i believe that the new DLC is about Alexander or Mithridatic wars. If its about jewish revolt it will be a huge disapointment for me.

Why does KLA's comment have any more significance than any other forum goer? It seems to me he's no more likely to know than the rest of us, and his comment...

I see in this thread correct answer, but can't tell which post.
    ... looked to me like a typical "I think there's a lot of good ideas in this thread and one of them is right, but I can't/don't want to pick which one."

Or am I missing something?

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    Why does KLA's comment have any more significance than any other forum goer? It seems to me he's no more likely to know than the rest of us, and his comment...

... looked to me like a typical "I think there's a lot of good ideas in this thread and one of them is right, but I can't/don't want to pick which one."

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    He's been doing some great mods and units since Rome 1 and it wouldn't be weird to assume that he's involved in it.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

So, what we know about the campaign so far:

Official
    Fresh: CA want this campaign to have a more "fresh" take on their campaign formula.
    • Possibly Eastern?: We have an event picture showing some character, who most of us are presuming to be Eastern due to their big beards (may not be the main faction of focus - they released art work of Tetricus (Gallic Empire) and Cannabaudes (Gothi) for Empire Divided when Aurelian was at the center of the time period it depicts - but it gives us an idea that it'll be a lot closer to the East than the previous focused campaign packs).
    Small-Scale: Campaign is focused in a specific location and time period, implying that it is similar in scale and scope to smaller campaigns such as Caesar in Gaul / Wrath of Sparta.
    New Mechanics: It is designed not just around the new, big gameplay mechanic which will be introduced to other campaigns, but will also offer other new gameplay mechanics specific to it (probably like Banditry / Cults / Sanitation for Empire Divided).
    Barely Touched: The location and time period is "barely touched" upon in the game, meaning that something related to it may already exist in some form already (e.g. location + factions + some units + time period).

Unofficial
    Not What Most Expect: It's completely different to what (most) people think it's going to be.
    We Already Know: Someone has already got the answer right somewhere on this thread (recently, or in the past few months - who knows).
    No Indians: It doesn't feature any Indians.
    Last edited by Benjin; June 13, 2018 at 01:23 PM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Mithridatic Wars with a small map of east mediterrenean sea.

Factions: Rome, Pontus, Bithynia, Armeniam Kappadocia, Seleucid Empire, Hasmonaen Kingdom (Juda), Ptolemaic Kingdom.

New Mechanic: growing Piratesspam, if no Fleets are built?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default New Campaign pack for R2! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    i would love to see a campaign centered around the Yuezhi invasion of Baktria as it would serve as an interesting prequel to the upcoming 3KTW by bridging the worlds of Rome 2 and China.

However, we are almost certain to end up with something childish and "Hollywood" such as an Alexander or Boudica themed campaign.
    I am thinking it could be this campagin.

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Finally. CA should add Mauryan Empire and Indians into the game already. Long due civilization.

Both on an Alexander campaign, and on grand campaign. I'd be disappointed if the map didn't feature all of India.

Oh, and Kushana Empire, Satvahana Empire and early Gupta Empire for the Empire Divided scenario too!
    I seriously wish something like this was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    Got to admit part of my disappointment with 3 kingdoms was that I was hoping for something encompassing India. India has been terribly underrepresented in Total War (marathas et al aside). Let's hope India gets a Saga at least sometime soon.
    On this part agree.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; June 05, 2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    I guess he's a beta-tester for the game. CA has been hiring a team of players with a deep knowledge of game mechanics since Rome II or even earlier. They do not work for CA, so Ashurbanipal's exceptional modding skills do not necessarily mean that the game will be beautiful. They are given the game freely, so that they can share their valuable feedback with the company. Of course, they are bound by contract (similarly to the moderators of the official fora) not to talk about the game before the release.

Anyway, I personally doubt it's Alexander, because CA's comments make me suspect of a smaller region than the entire Near and Middle East. It's definitely something ''oriental'', so I guess maybe the Mithridatic Wars, as the Maccabean revolt seems to niche. However, judging by Ashurbanipal's remarks, I suppose that the Great Jewish Revolt is the strongest candidate. The Achaemenid Persian Empire is probably too ambitious of a project for the resources CA is willing to dedicate to this otherwise relatively minor distractions.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; June 05, 2018 at 02:41 PM.

He's been doing some great mods and units since Rome 1 and it wouldn't be weird to assume that he's involved in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    I guess he's a beta-tester for the game. CA has been hiring a team of players with a deep knowledge of game mechanics since Rome II or even earlier. They do not work for CA, so Ashurbanipal's exceptional modding skills do not necessarily mean that the game will be beautiful. They are given the game freely, so that they can share their valuable feedback with the company. Of course, they are bound by contract (similarly to the moderators of the official fora) not to talk about the game before the release.
    Thank you both for the explanations. That makes a bit more sense, as at least I can see where you're coming from.

All the same, I think I'll stick to basing my speculation off the official announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjin View Post
    So, what we know about the campaign so far:
    Official
    • Fresh: CA want this campaign to have a more "fresh" take on their campaign formula.
    • Eastern: We have an event picture showing some Eastern characters (may not be the main faction of focus - they released art work of Tetricus (Gallic Empire) and Cannabaudes (Gothi) for Empire Divided when Aurelian was at the center of the time period it depicts - but it gives us an idea that it'll be a lot closer to the East than the previous focused campaign packs).
    • Small-Scale: Campaign is focused in a specific location and time period, implying that it is similar in scale and scope to smaller campaigns such as Caesar in Gaul / Wrath of Sparta.
    • New Mechanics: It is designed not just around the new, big gameplay mechanic which will be introduced to other campaigns, but will also offer other new gameplay mechanics specific to it (probably like Banditry / Cults / Sanitation for Empire Divided).
    • Barely Touched: The location and time period is "barely touched" upon in the game, meaning that something related to it may already exist in some form already (e.g. location + factions + some units).
    Unofficial
    • Not What Most Expect: It's completely different to what (most) people think it's going to be.
    • We Already Know: Someone has already got the answer right somewhere on this thread (recently, or in the past few months - who knows).
    • No Indians: It doesn't feature any Indians.
    A good round up, though like I said above I think it's better to stick to speculating based on what's been officially announced. But that's just me.

One thing I would say is that the campaign being "set in a specific location and time period" and that has a "very detailed new campaign map," to me doesn't necessarily mean it's small-scale. Could just be a more detailed map of a large specific location, like "Western Europe," or "China."

Of course if they are going for a small but very detailed area, that does open up a whole host of small scale conflicts, much like FOTS did the Boshin War.

Will be interesting to see what it is.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Anyway, I personally doubt it's Alexander, because CA's comments make me suspect of a smaller region than the entire Near and Middle East. It's definitely something ''oriental'', so I guess maybe the Mithridatic Wars, as the Maccabean revolt seems to niche. However, judging by Ashurbanipal's remarks, I suppose that the Great Jewish Revolt is the strongest candidate. The Achaemenid Persian Empire is probably too ambitious of a project for the resources CA is willing to dedicate to this otherwise relatively minor distractions.
    It's unfortunately true and sad that a title considered a disappointment since release yet with a huge fan base due to its focus and period (and mods like DEI) gets projects that are minor distractions.

A quick review of the Diadochi Wars on Wikipedia made me realise that it's too good to be true as an option. Imagine having a campaign focused on almost all Alexanders successors with a map focused on Southern Balkans, Anatolia, North Africa and the Levant+maybe Babylonia, playing as Cassander, Antigonus, Ptolemy, Seleucus, Olympia, and then later on Pyrrhus, Antiochus and Antigonus Gonatas.

From the North you'll have to deal with the invading Gauls as a horde (then settling in Galatia), South Illyrians, Aetolian League, and Sparta (Pyrrhus attack on 272 BC).

Imagine adding South Italy and Sicily to the map to include Rome and Syracuse as well as Pyrrhus' campaigns and you have a record selling DLC.

So I'll settle with Mithridatic Wars (hopefully) or Jewish revolt as the Diadochi is too ambitious for CA.
    Last edited by Nikron; June 05, 2018 at 05:37 PM.

I think it is unfair to rule out the Diadochi Wars at this point in time as Empire Divided was quite ambitious as well, and yet we still got it. However, I agree their comments seem to rule it out.
    I don't think the Jewish Revolt or the Mithridatic Wars will happen personally; both fall into the timespan of the Grand Campaign, and both involve familar factions as far as I understand them. I don't see where the 'new' factions would come in. On another note, is there really enough factions in either of them for them to be a dedicated campaign?
    I would currently bet on a Persian Invasion dlc set before Wrath of Sparta. That would be focused on a particular time and place, have a mix of factions both new and old, and it is something that is barely touched. You could have Athens, Sparta, Persia, Lydia, Halicarnuss (Led by Artemisa), etc.
    All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

I had long day, So I was late to the discussion but I have something else for you. You ready for wall of text? So first things first:

New campaign pack will be completely differ than people think. I see in this thread correct answer, but can't tell which post. No India.
    LET´S BEGIN GREAT BETTING GAME! I wrote down everybody mentioning any kind of conflict in this thread from first to the last post. Any duplicity were terminated. (Hope I didn´t miss anybody important ) According to Kla it will be one of these...

1) @Daruwind
    Alexander / Diadochi wars (and Lamian War, First War of the Diadochi 322–320 BC, Second partition 321 BC and death of Antipater, Second War of the Diadochi 319–315 BC, Third War of the Diadochi 314–311 BC, Babylonian War 311–309 BC, Fourth War of the Diadochi 308–301 BC, The struggle over Macedon 298–285 BC, The struggle of Lysimachus and Seleucus 285–281 BC, The Gallic invasions and consolidation 280–275 BC + Second Samnite War (326-304 BC.), Third Samnite War (298-290 BC.), Gauls/Etruscans (285-282 BC.),Pyrrhic War (280-275 BC.) leading into First Punic War ;-) )
    2) @ThePoshBarbarian
    conquest of Britain or the Boudicca's revolt!
    3) @San Felipe
    Bronze Age Campaign
    4) @I, Claudius
    1st choice- Mithradatic wars...young Pompeii, Spartacus, Sulla and of course The Poison King himself.
    2nd place- Trajan vs Dacia
    3rd-The German wars
    5) @jamreal18 Romans, Romans everywhere But I would disqualify him for not picking anything...
    Wars of the Roman Republic/Empire
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wars of the Roman Republic

Roman-Etruscan Wars
    Roman–Latin wars
    Roman-Hernician wars
    Roman-Volscian wars
    Samnite Wars
    Pyrrhic War
    >>>Punic Wars (First, Second, Third)***(Hannibal at the Gates)
    Macedonian Wars (Illyrian, First Macedonian, Second Macedonian, Seleucid, Third Macedonian, Fourth Macedonian)
    Jugurthine War
    Cimbrian War
    Servile Wars (First,Second, Third)
    Social War
    Civil wars of Lucius Cornelius Sulla (First, Second)
    Mithridatic Wars (First, Second, Third)
    >>>Gallic Wars ***(Caesar in Gaul)
    Caesar's invasions of Britain
    Julius Caesar's civil war
    End of the Republic (Post-Caesarian, Liberators', Sicilian, Fulvia's, Final)

Wars of the Roman Empire

Germanic Wars (Marcomannic, Alamannic, Gothic, Visigothic)
    Wars in Britain
    Wars of Boudica
    Armenian War
    Civil War of 69
    Jewish-Roman Wars
    Domitian's Dacian War
    Trajan's Dacian Wars
    Parthian Wars
    Persian Wars
    >>>Civil Wars of the Third Century ***(Empire Divided)
    Wars of the Fall of the Western Roman Empire
    6) @LinusLinothorax
    10% that it will be about the Italian wars of the late 4th and early 3rd century.
    7) @RexImperator
    A Slave revolt faction with characters like Eunus, Tryphon and Spartacus.
    The Social War Italian State with units from a variety of tribes including the Samnites, Marsi, Lucanians, Pompeians, Iapygians and others.
    The Maccabee revolt against the Seleucid Empire
    Carthaginian Mercenary Revolt
    The Invasion of the Yuezhi, which could really upset the Balance of power in the Eastern provinces.
    The Sun Citizens, a revolt of the poorer classes and slaves led by Aristonicus of Pergamon after Rome annexed that kingdom
    Pirates of the Mediterranean, entire fleets of Corsairs who were a major menace on shipping until put down by Pompey the Great
    The Sertorian Republic, set up by Quintus Sertorius in Spain as a government in exile, it's opposition to Sulla last for many years and included many Lusitanian and Iberians.
    Mamertines, rebellious mercenaries of Syracuse who set up a piratical kingdom in Messina, raiding Sicily and Southern Italy
    8) @herne_the _hunter
    I'm quite partial to a Medieval campaign starting around 1080 CE sometime after Manzikert though Attila Total War stands in the way with that one. So alternatively I want to be pleasently suprised in what ever they choose as it finances the bug fixing of land glitches and amphibious boats.
    9) @Diocle
    - ...then maybe also something about the Age of Hadrian, Marcus Aurelius (Marcomannic Wars) and Commodus (the real beginning of the end).
    - It would be very interesting also a detailed campaign describing the complex and awesome moment of Persian history in which the Sassanids took over the Parthian Empire.
    - Also interesting would be the Tetrachy, with all its conflicts, its political complexities and its dangerous political equilibrium, a good challange for any player trying to verify if there were other ways to Restore the Roman Empire
    10) @M.A.E
    Constantine the Great,Latin Wars,
    i think Nero last of julio-claudian Emperors
    Campaign about ancient Egypt even before wrath of Sparta timeline dlc and about the bad Persians with their elephants
    11) @Avarice1987
    Map With Fokus on Germanicus.
    12) @Theofanis the Aetolian
    Troy
    13) @zhouhaiyang
    Great jewish revol
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 05, 2018 at 10:33 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

A bronze age campaign would also be a dream come true. But that's a lot of resources dedicated together.