Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: New Campaign pack for R2! :)

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: New Campaign pack for R2! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post

Again, I'm not sure what's unsettling about it. Fans get new content and features for the game, and new factions and campaigns to play if they choose to buy them. Modders get new toys to play with, such as the overhauled politics, secessions, civil wars and female leaders, as well as the Empire Divided and Desert Kingdoms content. How is all that not "useful content?"
    I'm also not sure what you mean by "hasty introduced mechanisms," nor how you can call them "untested." CA was almost certainly working on these new additions for months prior to us finding out about them, judging by the various blog posts, and they will have tested them too. Heck Power & Politics had a public beta, as will whatever this new update is they are cooking up according to the latest What the Teams... blog post. So how can it be "untested?"
    Plus with the option to roll back, players and modders can continue to use Patch 17 (or even 16,) if they want to. To me that's a win for everyone.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Hi Welsh Dragoon.

Well I'm on the road currently so I'll try to answer your questions shortly.

It's unsettling because the latest DLC introduced many issues for users but also for us modders. Examples:

1) They broke battle balance with new attack/defense value introduction and mismatched entries which are introduced but unused.
    2) The diplomatic system is still very rough and quite problematic. Example, you could easily gain vast territories just by asking them even from a hostile faction.
    3) They locked previously free factions with a DLC. (Desert kingdoms)
    4)The units ]for the new DLC are completely unbalanced and ahistorical to a great extent (armored camels and full body armored amazons)
    5)Female leaders was a feature wrongly implemented. Very few factions used them Historicaly.
    6)Hasty introduced and untested because almost every new addition is still rough and has issues. Check the bug report threads or our DEI threads for more info. We still trying to fix base game issues.
    7)I'm all aware how the testing and implementation works for developer teams and studios. Are you aware that the latest patch was created from a brand new team (CA Sofia) with members that have nothing to do with previous Rome 2 DLC or expansions and as a result their first work is still very much a bug feast ?
    8)Newly introduced (passive map) most of the time many factions are completely passive and do nothing. They surely messed with aggression values and created issues which many many players reported so far with no official answer.
    9)Major bug battle difficulty is now broken because somehow they connected battle dif with campaign dif so you could change the battle dif but the previously values will stay since campaign dif is unchanged. Major bug and you could see reports for even in Warhammer 2 about it. Not sure how the managed that one, to be honest.

Should I continue ? I hope I have helped you to understand the situation a bit. If not, feel free to post any other question you may have.

Cheers,
    G.S
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 16, 2018 at 01:26 PM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Stop blaming basegame for every bug DeI has. I tested DeI 1.2.x some weeks ago on very hard / normal. DeI CAI was absolute passiv in a Egypt, Pontus and Macedon campaign, no war declaration.

Pontus campaign on Vanilla, CAI Armenia declares war, while i´m securing Colchis.

But as everytime with DeI fault is as usual basegame. The Dei (gods) make no mistake.

You don´t need to answer, i won´t read it. When DeI users come and praising their mod for saving the game, its wasted time to discuss further.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius_Brutus_Caepio View Post
    Stop blaming basegame for every bug DeI has. I tested DeI 1.2.x some weeks ago on very hard / normal. DeI CAI was absolute passiv in a Egypt, Pontus and Macedon campaign, no war declaration.

Pontus campaign on Vanilla, CAI Armenia declares war, while i´m securing Colchis.

But as everytime with DeI fault is as usual basegame. The Dei (gods) make no mistake.

You don´t need to answer, i won´t read it. When DeI users come and praising their mod for saving the game, its wasted time to discuss further.
    Why the hostility? As if DEI ruined your favourite game or something.

DEI team made Rome 2 enjoyable and even to the extent of calling it finally playable for thousands of fans who were sick of vanilla.
    Last edited by Nikron; June 16, 2018 at 04:53 PM.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Hi Welsh Dragoon.
    Hi Greek Strategoos.

Well I'm on the road currently so I'll try to answer your questions shortly.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply when you're busy.

It's unsettling because the latest DLC introduced many issues for users but also for us modders. Examples:

1) They broke battle balance with new attack/defense value introduction and mismatched entries which are introduced but unused.
    Well, I haven't done an exhaustive study, but from just playing campaigns and fighting battles manually (like I usually do,) I haven't noticed any issues with game balance. Seems to me the usual balance of quality and quantity, with units doing better against their usual primary targets (e.g. Spears vs Cavalry, Light Cavalry vs Skirmishers, Heavy Cavalry vs Light Cavalry etc,) and worse against the ones they're supposed to be worse against.

2) The diplomatic system is still very rough and quite problematic. Example, you could easily gain vast territories just by asking them even from a hostile faction.
    Do you mean the diplomacy system, or the diplomatic mission political action? Both seem okay to me, though perhaps getting a critical success for the Diplomatic Missions could perhaps be made harder. (The sort of situation you describe is why I'm not really a fan of being able to give/ask for regions in Total War. Too easily abused by the player.)

3) They locked previously free factions with a DLC. (Desert kingdoms)
    Except they didn't. The Desert Kingdoms factions were non-playable factions before the DLC released, and they still are now (unless you buy the DLC.) Except now instead of being fairly basic NPCs, they have faction specific traits and rosters for you to fight against (or with if you buy the DLC.)

(Yes I appreciate modders have built factions of the same or similar names upon some of those non-playable minor factions, including DEI. But the actual status of those factions and most importantly what we have actually paid for hasn't changed. They aren't free factions, they're paid NPC factions in the base game, and paid playable factions in Desert Kingdoms DLC. Mods didn't change that.)

4)The units ]for the new DLC are completely unbalanced and ahistorical to a great extent (armored camels and full body armored amazons)
    Again, haven't noticed any problems with balance in my campaigns or battles. I've seen the new factions both triumph and get slaughtered by existing factions, both in the hands of the player and AI. As for ahistorical, armoured camels were used by both Parthia and Sassanids, so I don't see a desert based trading power like Saba having them an issue. And as for armoured amazons, I'm not sure what units you're referring to. The only amazons I've seen are the ones in my friend Setrus's Amazonia mod. There are a small number of female units, but they don't strike me as the mythical amazons, but just female units. And those are few and far between.

5)Female leaders was a feature wrongly implemented. Very few factions used them Historicaly.
    Implementation seems fine to me. Outside of the Kush, female leaders spawn rate is relatively low, events which spawn female leaders are almost always a matter of player choice, and what you can actually do with those female leaders is limited based on cultures and factions, with those that were more restrictive (Rome, Greeks etc,) restricting women to a non-combat political role.

I feel the overall effect is to include female leaders, both historical and hypothetical, in a realistic fashion that balances gameplay and history.

6)Hasty introduced and untested because almost every new addition is still rough and has issues. Check the bug report threads or our DEI threads for more info. We still trying to fix base game issues.
    Again, I see no evidence that these new features introduction was hasty or untested. Some bugs slipped through the net, and they always do with a game this complex. They're human. I'm sure modders such as yourself let bugs slip through in your own work, much like as a writer I certainly am not infallible either. (For example, despite numerous proofreads by both myself and friends and family, I once submitted a short story to a major writing competition with the unfortunate typo that led to someone describing the woman they loved as an angle, instead of an angel... not sure what most women would say of being compared to geometry, but doubt it would be complementary. )

Also not sure how bugs in a mod would be the responsibility of CA. If DEI has issues, surely that's a DEI team issue. Though perhaps the fact that I generally play unmodded is why I encounter so few bugs.... Food for thought.

7)I'm all aware how the testing and implementation works for developer teams and studios. Are you aware that the latest patch was created from a brand new team (CA Sofia) with members that have nothing to do with previous Rome 2 DLC or expansions and as a result their first work is still very much a bug feast ?
    Yes I know CA Sofia worked on Empire Divided/Patch 18 and Desert Kingdoms/Patch 19. I've been very happy with their work and am honestly impressed that a studio without a background in Total War have done such good work. It's some of my favourite content and updates for not just Rome 2 but any Total War game. Very much not the bug feast you are describing. Puzzling.

8)Newly introduced (passive map) most of the time many factions are completely passive and do nothing. They surely messed with aggression values and created issues which many many players reported so far with no official answer.
    Again, my experience has been of an AI that is anything but passive. In my Masaesyli campaign I was engaged in many wars throughout and saw the AI expand in much the same way it usually does, reasonably well but perhaps not as much as with Ron Burgandy's A More Aggressive AI mod. In my recently started Egypt campaign I'm in a three front war with the Kush, Seleucids and Cyranaicia, and attacked from all sides. And in battles the AI is sometimes defensive and sometimes aggressive, much like the player (me .)

9)Major bug battle difficulty is now broken because somehow they connected battle dif with campaign dif so you could change the battle dif but the previously values will stay since campaign dif is unchanged. Major bug and you could see reports for even in Warhammer 2 about it. Not sure how the managed that one, to be honest.
    Again, I haven't encountered this. Turning down the battle difficulty in my Very Hard Campaign difficulty Aurellian campaign noticeably reduced the difficulty in battles. (The rest of the campaigns have been my usual Hard/Hard, so I wouldn't be effected by such a bug.)

Should I continue ? I hope I have helped you to understand the situation a bit. If not, feel free to post any other question you may have.
    No need to continue thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to explain where you're coming from. I am a bit puzzled why our experiences seem to be so different, but perhaps it comes down to different players and unmodded vs modded Rome 2.

Cheers,
    G.S
    All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Well, not sure when or where I have praised our mod but well I guess you have magical powers and you know better than me. Hundreds of players happily use our mod with no issues. I guess you're having a bad night and I really hope you're not trolling me. My job is to cope with such people and keep everyone happy anyway, so I'm here for you buddy. If you have such a vast knowledge of the game and modding skills feel free join us and help us to improve the game. Because that's what we do here. We're actually spending our time (thousands of hours) free of charge and even giving money from our pockets (for hosting costs and support) trying to make the game better for you. If you don't like our work, just ask your money back. Oh wait it's actually free, I forgot.

PS
    If you have any constructive criticism, I'm always available to talk about any issue you may have and help you out.
    If not please stop talking about my colleagues in such tone (you could say anything about me though).
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 16, 2018 at 06:25 PM.

Deja Vu.
    Didn't we had read all those complains a while ago already?

Hi Greek Strategoos.

Thank you for taking the time to reply when you're busy.
    My pleasure. Plus I made a mistake typing from my phone. I hope I haven't offended your or something.

Well, I haven't done an exhaustive study, but from just playing campaigns and fighting battles manually (like I usually do,) I haven't noticed any issues with game balance. Seems to me the usual balance of quality and quantity, with units doing better against their usual primary targets (e.g. Spears vs Cavalry, Light Cavalry vs Skirmishers, Heavy Cavalry vs Light Cavalry etc,) and worse against the ones they're supposed to be worse against.
    That's because you're playing the vanilla game. If you have played DEI or other mods like the excellent work from Radious, you could see that the battle balance or experience is vastly different. I'm talking about an almost different game.

Do you mean the diplomacy system, or the diplomatic mission political action? Both seem okay to me, though perhaps getting a critical success for the Diplomatic Missions could perhaps be made harder. (The sort of situation you describe is why I'm not really a fan of being able to give/ask for regions in Total War. Too easily abused by the player.)
    Well, the bug reports in the official Rome 2 thread (not DEI's thread) speak otherwise.

Except they didn't. The Desert Kingdoms factions were non-playable factions before the DLC released, and they still are now (unless you buy the DLC.) Except now instead of being fairly basic NPCs, they have faction specific traits and rosters for you to fight against (or with if you buy the DLC.)

(Yes I appreciate modders have built factions of the same or similar names upon some of those non-playable minor factions, including DEI. But the actual status of those factions and most importantly what we have actually paid for hasn't changed. They aren't free factions, they're paid NPC factions in the base game, and paid playable factions in Desert Kingdoms DLC. Mods didn't change that.)
    Except they did. Both Radious and DEI mods provided you with full fleshed Desert factions free ofc with Historical rosters, abilities even descriptions, but if you prefer to pay for them with half the content feel free.

Again, haven't noticed any problems with balance in my campaigns or battles. I've seen the new factions both triumph and get slaughtered by existing factions, both in the hands of the player and AI. As for ahistorical, armoured camels were used by both Parthia and Sassanids, so I don't see a desert based trading power like Saba having them an issue. And as for armoured amazons, I'm not sure what units you're referring to. The only amazons I've seen are the ones in my friend Setrus's Amazonia mod. There are a small number of female units, but they don't strike me as the mythical amazons, but just female units. And those are few and far between.
    I was talking about colored desert women with medieval english style longbows. If you like fantasy units that's fine with me. Enjoy your camel tanks.

Implementation seems fine to me. Outside of the Kush, female leaders spawn rate is relatively low, events which spawn female leaders are almost always a matter of player choice, and what you can actually do with those female leaders is limited based on cultures and factions, with those that were more restrictive (Rome, Greeks etc,) restricting women to a non-combat political role.

I feel the overall effect is to include female leaders, both historical and hypothetical, in a realistic fashion that balances gameplay and history.
    How something hypothetical could be historically realistic ? puzzled. Anyway I have studied the tables and I can assure you the spawn rate isn't anything close to low. You could check them with PFM anytime.

Again, I see no evidence that these new features introduction was hasty or untested. Some bugs slipped through the net, and they always do with a game this complex. They're human. I'm sure modders such as yourself let bugs slip through in your own work, much like as a writer I certainly am not infallible either. (For example, despite numerous proofreads by both myself and friends and family, I once submitted a short story to a major writing competition with the unfortunate typo that led to someone describing the woman they loved as an angle, instead of an angel... not sure what most women would say of being compared to geometry, but doubt it would be complementary. )

Also not sure how bugs in a mod would be the responsibility of CA. If DEI has issues, surely that's a DEI team issue. Though perhaps the fact that I generally play unmodded is why I encounter so few bugs.... Food for thought.
    You're aware that we first introduced features like supplies for example or historical family members and then CA started to use them in the latest patch, right ? If you check the features the latest dlc implemented in the bug reports (official forums) and our updates-changelogs you'll certainly see that we're actually fixing the base game. Don't believe me though, just check what I just wrote.
    We are also human but we're working free for you. We get 0 profit from our work, so I'm sure paid designers should provide better work than us, or not ?

Yes I know CA Sofia worked on Empire Divided/Patch 18 and Desert Kingdoms/Patch 19. I've been very happy with their work and am honestly impressed that a studio without a background in Total War have done such good work. It's some of my favourite content and updates for not just Rome 2 but any Total War game. Very much not the bug feast you are describing. Puzzling.
    Again the user bug reports are different from what you're descrbing.I'm glad you're a happy customer though. From the bug reports on TWC, steam,reddit and various pages you could see that thousands are not.

Again, my experience has been of an AI that is anything but passive. In my Masaesyli campaign I was engaged in many wars throughout and saw the AI expand in much the same way it usually does, reasonably well but perhaps not as much as with Ron Burgandy's A More Aggressive AI mod. In my recently started Egypt campaign I'm in a three front war with the Kush, Seleucids and Cyranaicia, and attacked from all sides. And in battles the AI is sometimes defensive and sometimes aggressive, much like the player (me .)
    Again, I haven't encountered this. Turning down the battle difficulty in my Very Hard Campaign difficulty Aurellian campaign noticeably reduced the difficulty in battles. (The rest of the campaigns have been my usual Hard/Hard, so I wouldn't be effected by such a bug.)
    Warhammer 2 passive faction issues are DEI's fault too ? cause last time I checked we haven't modded it, yet.

PS
    Thanks for your civilized approach. You're clearly well mannered and I really appreciate that.

Cheers G.S
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 16, 2018 at 07:06 PM.

The Dei (gods) make no mistake.
    And don't you forget it!

The only thing I am desperate for is for CA to fix the broken Blood & Gore DLC that they broke when they released ED. The animations are the same 2 decapitating and leg-chopping ones over and over, with very little variety. It ruins one of my favorite parts of this game (watching soldiers battle!) I don't know why they changed this as the animation variety was very diverse in patch 17 (see for yourself) or even now when playing with BLood & Gore disabled...
    Last edited by HappysLegi0ns; June 17, 2018 at 02:12 AM.
    "What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance. " - John Sedgewick, Union General, his last words before being killed by a sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by HappysLegi0ns View Post
    The only thing I am desperate for is for CA to fix the broken Blood & Gore DLC that they broke when they released ED. The animations are the same 2 decapitating and leg-chopping ones over and over, with very little variety. It ruins one of my favorite parts of this game (watching soldiers battle!) I don't know why they changed this as the animation variety was very diverse in patch 17 (see for yourself) or even now when playing with BLood & Gore disabled...
    I could say that Don_Diego already fixed that in DEI plus he even made new animations, but others may lynch me for just stating facts.
    So feel free to check our thread and see it yourself. Or better watch these videos here

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Moscavich View Post
    And don't you forget it!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now back to the pending dlc conversation. We have strayed far enough.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 17, 2018 at 04:55 AM.

Hi Greek Strategos,

I too would like to get this thread back on topic, but I also would like to reply to your points. So I'm going to stick most of it in spoiler text, so as not to detract from the main conversation. Hopefully it will be of help to better understand my views on this, and we can perhaps agree to disagree.

My pleasure. Plus I made a mistake typing from my phone. I hope I haven't offended your or something.
    But first, no offence taken on the Welsh Dragoon typo. I thought it was funny, and when I saw the opportunity to reply in kind I couldn't resist. I hope no offence was taken at your end either by my little wordplay.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That's because you're playing the vanilla game. If you have played DEI or other mods like the excellent work from Radious, you could see that the battle balance or experience is vastly different. I'm talking about an almost different game.
    Ah that makes more sense. So basically the changes in the base game have essentially altered the foundations upon which the mods are built on, so modders are now having to make changes to their mods to account for it.

Well, the bug reports in the official Rome 2 thread (not DEI's thread) speak otherwise.
    Depends. Not every bug reported is actually a bug, especially when it comes to AI diplomatic behaviour. ;-) (I quite like a diplomatic AI that can drive a hard bargain and on occasion be stubborn and irrational, just like a human.)

Except they did. Both Radious and DEI mods provided you with full fleshed Desert factions free ofc with Historical rosters, abilities even descriptions, but if you prefer to pay for them with half the content feel free.
    And I cannot agree. Those mods are just that, mods. They aren't free content which has now been made paid content, the factions in the game itself are the same non-playable paid content we paid for in the first place, except updated with new units etc. Or if we choose to buy the DLC and benefit further from their inclusion, playable paid content. Either way

Modders essentially build their work on someone else's land (CA's,) land we have not paid for to have playable factions on. CA may allow people to borrow that "land" to build their mods on, but it's always been with the understanding that those base factions are ultimately CA's to develop in future if they wish.

Saying that “they locked previously free factions with a DLC” is to me an inaccurate representation of the facts of the matter, and portrays the people who made the game and DLC in an unfairly poor light, because it makes it sound like they took something away from the game and the players, when in fact they added to it at no extra cost (unless you choose to buy the DLC.)

I can appreciate there being some frustration if an update changes the requirements needed to use a mod, but given that the non-mod user is paying to play Kush, Saba, Numidia etc I don't have an issue with the mod user paying too.

As for "if you prefer to pay for them with half the content feel free" that's not the case at all. It's a matter of wanting content I actually want, that is designed for and actually works with the game I play and enjoy, which is Rome 2 either vanilla or very lightly modded. I respect what you and your colleagues have achieved with DEI, but I've looked into it many times and every time I've concluded that it makes a lot more changes I don't want, than it does that I do. So to me DEI and many other mods have a lot less content than the DLC, which do what I want and only what I want. Plus, given how much I get out of Total War games and especially Rome 2 (over 1500 hours, 1300+ vanilla, and counting,) I'm happy to contribute to the further development by buying the DLC I want, because I get a lot more back than I spend.

I was talking about colored desert women with medieval english style longbows. If you like fantasy units that's fine with me. Enjoy your camel tanks.
    The only unit I can find which seems to match that description are Royal Kushite Archers, who use composite bows which were around at the time Rome 2 is set, not English (or Welsh) style longbows. We're also talking about a period of history when in most cultures men and women would have been involved in much greater physical activities than in more modern periods, Rome itself being a notable exception. Working the fields and gathering in the harvest being two such activities. As such, having men and women fielding a compound bow doesn't seem to me ahistorical. As another unit, the Kushite Archer, puts it “When the bow provides both food and security, everyone learns its ways.”

And there are historical records of camel cataphracts, so I don't see some factions having armoured camels as a stretch. They may not have been common, but if games stuck to only what was common we'd miss out on a lot of interesting history and a lot of potential to craft our own history.

So I don't see why either is a fantasy unit. As with most units in the game, they are either based on historical records, or logical progressions of known units (much like I have read that DEI implemented later game units for certain factions based upon how they would likely have developed if not conquered by Rome.) Either way, I think they have a place in a historical setting such as this.

How something hypothetical could be historically realistic ? puzzled. Anyway I have studied the tables and I can assure you the spawn rate isn't anything close to low. You could check them with PFM anytime.
    I would say something can be hypothetical and historically realistic at the same time if it could have realistically existed in that time and place, but didn't in the specific version of events that form our history. For example, the characters in any number of works of historical fiction are fictional (thus hypothetical,) but are still historically realistic. Much of what we do in the game, unless precisely following historical events, is also hypothetical but historically realistic. (Given that Octavian winning the Second Triumvirate War is literally the only time I have finished a Rome 2 campaign in even a remotely historical way, hypothetical but historically realistic is important to me... I love to play the underdog and make my own history.)

As for spawn rates, I haven't myself gone into the tables as I'm no modder, but I have friends who are and the figures they've quoted are 6% for Romans and Greeks (who cannot field them as Generals,) 15% for Barbarians and 50% for Kush. That to me is very low, which has been born out by the campaigns I've played where most of the generals I fight against are male, and the resulting effect is in my view a good balance between historical accuracy, gameplay, variety and realism.

You're aware that we first introduced features like supplies for example or historical family members and then CA started to use them in the latest patch, right ? If you check the features the latest dlc implemented in the bug reports (official forums) and our updates-changelogs you'll certainly see that we're actually fixing the base game. Don't believe me though, just check what I just wrote.
    Historical family members have been part of the Total War series since Shogun 1, and part of Rome 2 for quite some time as well (depends exactly what you mean by “historical family members.” I mean some of the starting generals for various factions are related, and Cleopatra was Mark Anthony's wife in Imperator Augustus long before the Female Leaders update.)

Supplies to my knowledge still aren't a feature of Rome 2, but they are in Thrones. Given that this has been a much requested feature for Total War for years, it doesn't really surprise me that both your DEI team and CA have eventually implemented it. I doubt either can claim it as their own entirely.

As for bugs, to me there is a vast difference between “bugs present in released content,” and “hasty and untested.” As someone who has done beta testing both for computer and card games in the past, I can tell you that people generally don't just shove stuff out the door untested, and that testers do their best but they can't catch everything.

Oh and it seems I misunderstood part of what you said before, as it appeared to me you were in some way blaming CA for not fixing bugs DEI had caused. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

We are also human but we're working free for you. We get 0 profit from our work, so I'm sure paid designers should provide better work than us, or not ?
    Depends. Modders and game developers work within a different set of freedoms and constraints, and so their work needs to be viewed with that in mind.

For example, developers and studios have to worry a lot more about budgets and deadlines, not just in terms of how much money they can afford to invest versus how much they expect to get back, but also in terms of time. They will literally have a budget of total man-hours, based on the expected price and sales of the end result, which will be the amount of time they can afford to work on this particular project and still see a reasonable return.

Modders have constraints for example in terms of what in the game they can mod, but also have a lot for freedom. For example your “budget” for man-hours is ultimately limited only by how much spare time you have and how much of your spare time you are willing or able to spend on your hobby, and if you miss a deadline you may have some annoyed fans, but don't have to face the sort of repercussions that people doing this for a job and working at a company do.

I've posed the question previously on various forums, but I think it's worth mentioning again because I think it cuts to the heart of the matter. How much would something like DEI cost (overall and also to the end user) if you were all working within the freedoms and constraints of a game studio? As you yourself have said in this very thread, you've spent thousands of hours making DEI. So what happens when those hours become billable hours? What about QA, testers, marketing, utilities, ongoing costs etc? How much does the end result cost when all those are factored in?

Would it even actually be possible to make something as ambitious as DEI, while still having a price tag that's reasonable enough that enough people are willing to pay and that can cover the costs of making it?

Is what makes DEI what it is, not just the undoubted talent and hard work you and others have put into it, but also the freedom you have had to do that work without worrying about whether you can sell it at the end?

While DEI is not for me, I recognise that you and your team do great work. But I also think CA and CA Sofia do great work too. As for which is “better,” I don't think it's possible to make a straight comparison because you aren't playing by the same rules or operating within the same freedoms and constraints. DEI is better for some, vanilla better for others, in my view it really falls to the individual to decide what is right for them.

Again the user bug reports are different from what you're descrbing.I'm glad you're a happy customer though. From the bug reports on TWC, steam,reddit and various pages you could see that thousands are not.
    I'm familiar with there being bugs. I've reported some of them myself, and I'm quite active on the Steam forums helping people out with issues when I can. Yes “thousands” aren't happy, but “thousands” also are happy. Which is my point. The bug reports only tell one part of the story.

Warhammer 2 passive faction issues are DEI's fault too ? cause last time I checked we haven't modded it, yet.
    I wasn't speaking of Warhammer 2 as I don't play it. But you'd said it was an issue in Rome 2 and I was just highlighting that I haven't seen the problem myself.

PS
    Thanks for your civilized approach. You're clearly well mannered and I really appreciate that.

Cheers G.S
    Thank you. And I too appreciate your civilized approach. I find everyone can gain a lot more from a conversation if we can keep cool heads and discuss our different opinions.

I also hope that you and the other members of DEI team know that even though as I've said DEI is not for me, and I can sometimes be critical of aspects of it, I still respect and appreciate the work you've put into it and what you have achieved.

I've unfortunately had some bad experiences with a handful of fans of DEI, and so have got pretty tired of being told I'm playing the game wrong just because I don't play DEI, or being told that only you guys (or modders in general) know how to make a good Total War and everything CA does is crap. (This is especially frustrating when I really enjoy a lot of what CA make.)

So I'm glad to see that if you are any indication, this attitude is not one that extends to the team itself.
    And I hope that we can agree to disagree on our differences.

Anyway, as you said lets get this conversation back on track to the subject of the thread, the new content for Rome 2. I'm hoping with E3 and the focus on Three Kingdoms now having passed for now, perhaps we'll see some news this coming week on the Rome 2 Campaign and FLC.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

I hope the FLC would be about family tree or at least choosing a heir with a button when in an Empire or Kingdom , it will really fit and be useful to use the engine of Rome 2 to more advanced eras .
    Last edited by M.A.E; June 17, 2018 at 05:16 PM.

Mithridatic Wars or Diadaochi for me.

Better if Bronze Age than Rise of Rome. Hittites, Acadians, Babylonians, etc... look more exciting though.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by jamreal18 View Post
    Mithridatic Wars or Diadaochi for me.

Better if Bronze Age than Rise of Rome. Hittites, Acadians, Babylonians, etc... look more exciting though.
    How is that better when we don't have much information, the cities were even rarer and smaller and less sophisticated, the battle tactics even simpler just like the weaponry, helmets, armour, etc.

CA can barely keep up with periods that are historically documented enough so getting involved so far back would only be a disappointment. I even hope they don't go as far back as 5th century otherwise we'll have another Wrath of Sparta hoplite spam.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by jamreal18 View Post
    Man you got excited for nothing. I thought it was a video by CA. Dayum.

Been checking forums several times a day and still nothing. They better come up with some campaign gameplay.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

New beta patch is out, bringing family trees and much more. Probably also can affected next DLC discussion so im reposting here as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-...cestral-update

The long-awaited Family Tree for ROME II is here! The free Ancestral Update introduces this community favourite feature along with numerous tweaks, fixes, and improvements to ROME II’s base game and DLCs. The update is currently in open beta to ensure it works for all users before release, and will therefore require you to opt in with details of how to do this below. We welcome any and all feedback – again, find out where you can do this below.
    As you may have guessed from the latest what the teams are working on blog post, a ROME II DLC announce will also be coming very soon.
    In this blog post you will find:
    The Family Tree

The Family Tree is a visual representation of the web of character relationships within your faction, and offers the functionality for you to interact with those characters and generate Intrigues, which bring new gameplay options. The characters in your faction can forge strong bonds and alliances with other factions. Marriages can produce offspring, who grow and obtain duties of their own. Characters are born, live their lives, and eventually die throughout the course of a game.

Here’s an example of the Macedonian family tree from the Grand Campaign. The central panel contains members of the player’s family. The panel on the right, labelled Other Nobles, contains characters who are members of the player’s party, but not included in the family. The panel on the left, labelled Important Characters, contains characters of other parties – Ones that may turn hostile in the case of secession or civil war, for example.
    Intrigues

Every living, adult character has access to a certain number of Intrigues: actions that can be executed to achieve a variety of outcomes. In the screenshot below you’ll see them in the bottom right corner.

Every Intrigue has requirements such as:

• Character needs to be a general
    • Character needs to be a politician
    • Character needs to be the faction leader
    • Character needs a certain amount of a specific attribute
    • Character needs a certain amount of an attribute that exceeds the attribute of another target character (for example, the Adopt Intrigue is available if the Adopting character has three more Authority points than the target character’s Zeal)

FAQ

How do I opt in to the Ancestral Update?

To take part in the Ancestral Update open beta, follow these steps:

1. Restart Steam
    2. Find Total War: ROME II – Emperor Edition in your Steam library
    3. Right click Total War: ROME II – Emperor Edition and go to Properties in the drop-down menu
    4. Go to the Betas tab
    5. In the drop-down menu under Select the beta you would like to opt into: select ancestral –

Will opting in break my save games?

No. We’ve deliberately worked to ensure old save game compatibility with the update. The game generates a new Family Tree based on the data in your save game, and refunds any skill points you’ve already spent on your Agents, enabling you to spend them in the new skills tree to your preference. Issues are still possible, of course – Please report any that you find!
    Should I disable my mods?

Absolutely, yes. Mods are frequently incompatible with new releases and will remain out-of-date until the mod creator updates their mod.
    We would like to ensure all the feedback we receive for this beta comes from campaigns played with all mods disabled, so we can be sure that any new fixes we may have to explore are focused on the core, unmodded game, and not a result of out-of-date mods.
    Where should I report any issues?

Any issues should be reported in the dedicated Ancestral Update issues thread on the official Total War forums, which we will be monitoring closely.
    Additional Patch Notes

New

• Agents skills have been completely reworked, rebalanced and are now culture-specific. They now have more actions, some of them having significant new effects
    • Generals’ skills are also now culture specific
    • Skill cards for agents, generals and military traditions have informative pips that show what the skill grants at each level
    • Agent skills have been re-ordered to mimic the order of attributes in the character portrait
    • Reinforcement range is now visible as an area, not only as blinking arrows
    • Technology panels now have sounds
    • In battle, ships in will now be able to leave their disembarking area by shifting in reverse, making room for more ships to land
    • Champions have received a skill that directly buffs the bonus to unit experience per turn
    • Levels 2 and 3 of Agent skills are now unlocked on the next agent level, instead of skipping a level. For instance, tier 1 skills are unlocked on levels 2/3/4, instead of the previous 2/4/6
    • Battle loot implemented in field battles, granting different sums based on the upkeep cost of the defeated army and the action selected after victory
    • Added more variety to generals in Empire Divided
    • Number of household ancillaries has been increased from 1 to 3
    • Number of character traits has been increased from 3 to 6

Visual

• Added MSAA anti-aliasing
    • Added “Clouds shadow” option to shadows
    • Added an option for near the camera objects fading (on/off)
    • Added “Hide dead bodies” option, so dead units can vanish even on higher graphics settings
    • Added “Hide foliage” to the graphics options and made that shader functionality toggleable
    • “Hide foliage” option has a shortcut set to Ctrl+F by default
    • Added “Terrain noise” to make distant terrain look less flat.
    • Improved building LOD distances for Extreme/Ultra to be really extreme and ultra (x3 times greater)
    • Improved shadow quality & performance.
    • Heavy rain weather VFX in battle now occasionally replaced with stormy rain weather (with lightning flashes)
    • Ships now render in water reflections
    • Reduced terrain and grass reflectivity in rainy weather
    • Improved night lighting of units. Torch light is now animated and casts shadows on higher settings
    • Improved river shader in battles: shallow river water is more visible, won’t vanish when near the camera, specular and shadows improved
    • Trees on the tactical view are no longer very obviously rotating towards the camera
    • Rivers have been optimized to not render past a certain distance

Bugfixes

• Changed the AI to now recruit more suitable units in campaign
    • Added Numidian Spearmen Assault Dieres to eastern naval garrison lvl 2 group
    • Corrected many instances of units with mismatches between their weight and caste
    • Fixed the Palmyrene Top Recruit technology (Empire Divided Campaign) to correctly apply its bonuses to all new land unit recruits
    • Fixed Kushite Archers and Kushite Royal Archers to now correctly receive bonuses from effects applying to missile infantry
    • Fixed all Empire Divided bodyguard units to correctly receive bonuses from different effects
    • Added Theban Hippeus unit to the Boiotia League custom battle roster
    • Missile Range bonuses now actually work!
    • Fixed a few cases where the player can get stuck in the Prologue campaign
    • Fixed a few cases of improperly rotated settlement battle tiles
    • The “Status Quo” achievement can now again be obtained

Battle AI

• Fixed an issue that caused units to cluster together when climbing ladders on walled settlements
    • The AI will no longer zealously guard the capture points in unwalled settlements
    • Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the AI to never attack a walled settlement
    • Fixed an issue with pathfinding that sometimes caused units to rapidly move in different directions
    • Tweaked the AI behaviour to better assess and exploit players’ tactical weaknesses, such as gaps in defence lines or an unprotected general
    • Shield Wall, Hoplite Wall and Testudo will not be broken by the fast-move command and will move in formation to the target until they reach change distance
    • When siege units and mounted units (cavalry, chariots, camels, elephants) are making a naval assault they will deploy on the ground, instead of disembarking from ships, similar to Total War: ATTILA

Gameplay Improvements

• Female cursus honorum grants attributes at higher levels
    • GC Iceni start their campaign having military access with Dumnonii
    • Starting loyalty has been decreased for all difficulty settings (0 on Easy, 0< on higher difficulty)
    • The political traits Militarist and Expansionist have been nerfed, granting less loyalty
    • A different version of the Family Tree, called Chain of Command, has been added to the Caesar in Gaul campaign. It contains fewer intrigues
    • Start-pos characters have been rebalanced in all campaigns – many more were added, both historical and created for gameplay purposes
    • New encyclopaedia page for Agents, available on right-click
    • The Family Duty trait now disables character skills

Known Issues

• Loading legacy save games will refund less skill points than expected
    • Start-pos family trees for campaign other than Grand might have missing characters, names or links between characters
    • Some start-pos characters might be labelled as members of another party when they are not expected to be
    • When a new character is generated, the message about a daughter coming out of age is displayed in error
    • Children from diplomatic marriage with another subculture will be displayed as belonging to player’s own culture
    • Events sometimes occur more often than expected.
    • The game may crash when clicking on the “Controls” button on the Campaign map when playing the Empire Divided campaign
    Last edited by Daruwind; July 12, 2018 at 09:30 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Lets Coppy everything from Attila to Rome 2 and call it new content !!! RIP all the mods again !!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    Lets Coppy everything from Attila to Rome 2 and call it new content !!! RIP all the mods again !!!
    We'll certainly have a difficult time com-patching. But we're used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    Apart from the coastal battles changes, what else are they supposed to have copied across from Attila?

Because even the Family Tree doesn't appear to be a copy of the Attila one, but a development of the existing politics system from what I can see from the Blog and Trailer. (Haven't had a chance to play yet.)

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.