Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: New Campaign pack for R2! :)

Default Re: New Campaign pack for R2! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Clint_Eastwood View Post
    Absolutely and well stated mate! Paradox could well be a massive competitor once they release there Rome title.
    You mean about 2 years after release. It usually takes them at least 3 expansions to fix their games.
    They havent had a decent game release since CK2. Stellaris, EU4 and HOI4 were pretty bad at launch.

They do communicate and improve their games but i think they have gotten a little too used to fixing things after release.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by ThePoshBarbarian View Post
    If they do continue with more rome 2 DLC, I hope they do one without rome focused on the eastern side of the world (the Seleucid-Parthian wars anyone?)
    Fair enough....though Rome really isn't a problem for me. I'm just sick to death of over-hyping Celts and Germanics. Deep down inside, everyone is - that's why Thrones of Britannia (despite being a well put together and polished game) is a total flop.

That said, this Italian campaign seems fascinating enough. I like that CA is increasingly willing to explore the more obscure. I am really excited to see how CA will depict non-Indo-European factions such as the Etruscans and Sardinians, especially considering how CA has been doing an amazing job depicting a faction's culture in their more recent releases.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Looks like Ancestor Update also contains building icons for new factions.. (and keep in mind not all must be in finite version..)

-Very first two are interesting. Looks like special building for all factions Capitoline Hill and Port of Cartago. Maybe first objective will be getting control of Rome/unify part of Italia, then perhaps Punic War?
    -Building trees seem to go up to number 10 for some chains, no usual 4/5 max..
    Last edited by Daruwind; July 16, 2018 at 11:58 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Looks like Ancestor Update also contains building icons for new factions.. (and keep in mind not all must be in finite version..)

-Very first two are interesting. Looks like special building for all factions Capitoline Hill and Port of Cartago. Maybe first objective will be getting control of Rome/unify part of Italia, then perhaps Punic War?
    -Building trees seem to go up to number 10 for some chains, no usual 4/5 max..
    I'm really liking everything about this pack so far. I've seen a bunch of the units put together ingame, the Etruscans and Sardinians look quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    Fair enough....though Rome really isn't a problem for me. I'm just sick to death of over-hyping Celts and Germanics.
    Why? Rome 2 only has 1 playable German faction in the game.

@Daruwind thanks for sharing new information. Looking forward again to new information tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jamreal18 View Post
    Such a waste Epirus and Illyria are not included even though Pyrrhic War and Illyrian War were only few years behind the starting point of this upcoming dlc.
    As it was mentioned previously, during the period depicted in the DLC, the kingdom of Epirus did not exist. The Pyrrhic and Illyrian wars took place more than one century after Brennus' invasion (the main event of the DLC), so they are completely irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    Sorry, but I don't really see your logic in saying it will be a flop. From what's been data-mined, sounds like it's a decent sized campaign with a variety of different factions and cultures to play. It may not have the recognition factor of Caesar in Gaul, Hannibal or Wrath of Sparta, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean how many average players had heard of the Boshin War before Fall of the Samurai, unless they had a specific interest in the history of the area?
    Sorry but how does this question matter? Fall of the Samurai was released after Tom Cruise's movie, which made the affair globally famous. It is obvious that the marketing of FotS was heavily inspired from the film, because CA's business policy is always determined by films (300, Save Private Ryan-Rome II, Game of Thrones-Throb, Vikings and etc.).
    As for Thrones of Britannia, I still don't really see it as a disappointing result. Seems like it's a modest game, with a modest budget, and a modest playerbase... which is what Sagas seem to be designed to be.
    Not a very modest price though... I suppose the fact that Throb was ridiculously over-priced also contributed to its failure. Anyway, the game's mediocre sales figures and atrocious retention rates make it an obvious flop, as CA itself recognized the "mixed" reception it got from the customers. Based on its failure and the limited scope of Brennus' adventures with exotic Italians, I am not very optimist about its potential success, but that's only my personal estimation.
    Just that the amount of information being data-mined is quite astonishing, to the point that it seems like there's going to be very little we don't know before it's announcement proper and then released. Which seems a tad bit silly to me, that there'd be this much in the files of the beta. But then again, I don't blame CA not trying to make the beta/patch and the DLC separate builds, given Norsca and all.
    It was probably a mistake, presumably due to the inexperience of the Bulgarian team, as it completely derailed their marketing strategy. Generally speaking, it's a common practice that the files of the DLCs are downloaded in advance and when someone pays the necessary amount of money, he just purchases the right to unlock them. The issue here is that, instead of planning an update sometime between the announcement and the official release, CA made the files accessible prematurely. At least it won't have the grave consequences as CA's first experience with DLC in Empire. What a disaster!

Speaking about single hero romance (Three Kings... ), the ideal classical setting with lots of recognition for that would be Iliad, the War of Troy. There is an old Rome I mod (Aristeia) which I could never get working properly. In terms of Rome II DLC, the map is already (almost) there, importing single hero mechanics into Rome II would be the challenge, and maybe not worth it. There are also other possibilities for doing Troy Total War properly, in terms of current company policy and maybe even as mod.

RexImperator's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    As it was mentioned previously, during the period depicted in the DLC, the kingdom of Epirus did not exist. The Pyrrhic and Illyrian wars took place more than one century after Brennus' invasion (the main event of the DLC), so they are completely irrelevant.
    The Molossians could be playable and their first task could be to unite the Epirote tribes, a la Union of Kalmar. That could lead nicely to the First Epirote intervention in Italy under Alexander in 334 BC. Dionysius also had interests in the area as well.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I have always, and will continue to, hope for a Mauryan-Seleucid War DLC.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    You mean about 2 years after release. It usually takes them at least 3 expansions to fix their games.
    They havent had a decent game release since CK2. Stellaris, EU4 and HOI4 were pretty bad at launch.

They do communicate and improve their games but i think they have gotten a little too used to fixing things after release.
    2 yrs vs 6 yrs though, right ?
    You should also be aware that each major DLC creates new issues, so they're usually not fixing base game's issues, but the extra content's ones. Plus that's a bit harsh, since EU4 was quite good and most important stable during it's initial release. I don't like Stellaris and HOI4 though (too arcade for my taste) so I can't speak for them. But I know what I'm talking about, since I'm a member of MEIOU team (EU4) and I was an advisor for HIP (CK2).

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    It was probably a mistake, presumably due to the inexperience of the Bulgarian team, as it completely derailed their marketing strategy. Generally speaking, it's a common practice that the files of the DLCs are downloaded in advance and when someone pays the necessary amount of money, he just purchases the right to unlock them. The issue here is that, instead of planning an update sometime between the announcement and the official release, CA made the files accessible prematurely. At least it won't have the grave consequences as CA's first experience with DLC in Empire. What a disaster!
    The horror. What a fiasco.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 17, 2018 at 11:51 AM.

I've been digging through the files myself, and found some interesting things of note: in the local_en.pack there seems to be a few replica units, though they have the word "Native" attached to their name.

I don't know about you, but something tells me this ain't auxiliary units for rome. My guess is some sort of universal AoR unit system (copied from DeI again, it seems).

I hope they give the Samnites and Etruscans unique voices in this DLC. I just started a Carthage campaign after having not played in a while and it was VERY jarring to hear the Etruscan League speaking like barbarians in game. So new VO for them would be nice. New barbarian VO that isn't awful would be nice too, though that is definitely asking way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePoshBarbarian View Post
    I've been digging through the files myself, and found some interesting things of note: in the local_en.pack there seems to be a few replica units, though they have the word "Native" attached to their name.

I don't know about you, but something tells me this ain't auxiliary units for rome. My guess is some sort of universal AoR unit system (copied from DeI again, it seems).
    I don't think borrowing ideas from mods would be a bad idea at all. Not everyone like everything DeI does or plays it constantly.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

I'd love to see some new voice work as well, but I have my doubts. Maybe they can simply tweak the Roman voices to not have Rome-centric dialogue. DeI is the business bro. I simply can't play Rome 2 (or most TW games) without a nice mix of mods. I know most people don't play with mods, but I don't understand why not. Why be stuck with whatever CA throws at you as far as content goes (and then b***H about it), when you have so much great, free content that our wonderful community created? Mods allow for so much replayability and customization. Get with the program, pal

We are getting an official anoucement of the campaign this month according to their latest blog post
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-t...g-on-july-2018

Release date will be only a few weeks from that

---

For a future expansion what ever it is I'm all in favour of them using a differrent map rather than reusing the grand or Imperator Augustus map campaign map again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeides View Post
    Speaking about single hero romance (Three Kings... ), the ideal classical setting with lots of recognition for that would be Iliad, the War of Troy. There is an old Rome I mod (Aristeia) which I could never get working properly. In terms of Rome II DLC, the map is already (almost) there, importing single hero mechanics into Rome II would be the challenge, and maybe not worth it. There are also other possibilities for doing Troy Total War properly, in terms of current company policy and maybe even as mod.

I was just mentioning this in the official forums.

With Three Kingdoms it really opens up the legendary battles of antiquity, especially the Trojan War, which is based on fact, but also has fiction.

I would be so happy to see a Saga game or something with Three Kingdom's structure where we can enjoy the ancient world during the Trojan War.

Imagine a Heroic mode that allows us to have heroes like Achilles, Odysseus, Hector, Diomedes, and the others, and a historic classic mode that just lets us play in that period with real factions and Troy itself.

We really don't have a total war game set in this period, and the mythic ands heroic nature of troy's story totally fits with three kingdom's model.

I kinda wish we were looking at Alexander for this dlc. We've had a lot of roman campaigns (Though surely there are many more) but we've had fewer of other factions like persian and greek ones.

Quote Originally Posted by gholin View Post
    I kinda wish we were looking at Alexander for this dlc.
    Alexander would be complicated for dlc as we need the Diadochi Wars as late game.

We've had a lot of roman campaigns (Though surely there are many more) but we've had fewer of other factions like persian and greek ones.
    Greeks deserve their own game.

------------

I'm afraid the upcoming dlc would be the last dlc for Rome 2, this team might move on doing pre-order dlc for Three Kingdoms afterwards.

Hope I'm mistaken.
    Last edited by jamreal18; July 17, 2018 at 09:03 PM.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    I'm really liking everything about this pack so far. I've seen a bunch of the units put together ingame, the Etruscans and Sardinians look quite good.
    Is this for the new DLC is or it for the whole game?

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Won't we have to make this DLC a success though if we want more R2 content?

We need to go to India now. I want India! It needs some proper introduction. I mean new tech, a new religion(Especially considering the fact that Ancient India was Buddhist and Hindu at the time is an interesting mechanic.) New buildings, new texture models and new city building models(Hindu Architecture at this time is amazing.) The environments will be wide ranging - huge forests and abandoned temples, rain and jungles, and beaches! They should add the whole of India.

I'm still ever-hopeful that one day I will see India in a total war game apart from Empire and Alexander RTW expansion. I mean the Chinese got their game! (And I'm happy for that, I too wanted it!)

https://twitter.com/wiavastukala
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; July 18, 2018 at 04:45 AM.

If Alexander is not possible... I would like to see Mithridatic Wars DLC, with additional game mechanics and smart scripting it could be very replayable campaign.