Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

Default Re: Tutorial: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

humm... thats the problem, no file showed up. I may try installing xp on one of my extra HD's and get the files that way.

EDIT- ill work on it more later, up early for work tommorow. Thanks for your help Trajan
    Last edited by Enduran; March 29, 2007 at 10:17 PM.

Awesome tutorial I got my mix going now of Kingdom of Heaven, King Arthur, 300, Gladiator, Troy and Braveheart music

anyone try separating northern_european and eastern_european in the file to have different music for those two? Mine doesn't work yet but since it involves a lot of file modding might be my file is messed up.
    ETW ship combat with pirate rap:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SyN0QdEZyA

Spartan II's Avatar Foederatus

My IDX extractor doesn't seem to work on MII. As soon as it gets to extracting voice3.idx, there's a problem. Xidx.exe says

Code:

C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval II- Total War\data\sounds>pause
    Press any key to continue . . .
    I don't have Medieval installed to the default folder (Sega), and Vista, so those might be possible errors. I did exactly as the tutorial said (I even re-downloaded Xidx).

EDIT: It seems I have the same problem as Enduran. No extra folder shows up.
    Last edited by Spartan II; April 04, 2007 at 12:25 AM.

Think its vista, i'm going back to XP for the time being because its less buggy.

I'm using Vista x86, and I've had no issues using the music unpacker.

Anyway--I've a question. Can battle speeches and campaign speaking be replaced in a similar fashion?

I've got it in mind to replace as much of the Byzantine "Mediterranean" stuff with the Roman voices from RTW, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

I have a problem, the extractor only gets me the voice file, and not the music.

Well... I've tried to adapt the instructions to voice files as much as possible. I've renamed all the Roman_* files to Mediterranean_* files and converted the files to mp3. That way, they're just replacements.

The thing is though, when I load the game, the game isn't rebuilding the voice.dat files. They're just originals--they aren't packing in my new files. I have the sound text files in the data folder and everything, and my shortcuts all have filefirst on them. Grr.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Iaius Statius Laurentius; April 07, 2007 at 02:40 AM.

Hans Kloss's Avatar J-23

if you have deleted events dat and idx, game should rebuilt them when is started.

Yeah, I did that and now the stratmap sounds work. The speeches and inbattle sounds might be more difficult to do because there are just so many of them, and the speeches aren't even labeled. Grr.

Indefinitely Banned

How will this work for mods? Do you have to extract the existing sounds? Can't you just place the new ones into the data/sounds or does it need all the sounds?

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Quote Originally Posted by Zkickin View Post
    I have a problem, the extractor only gets me the voice file, and not the music.
    That's strange. The idx extractor is programmed to automatically extract all the sound files. You must be using Vista because the other guys were reporting the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41
    How will this work for mods? Do you have to extract the existing sounds? Can't you just place the new ones into the data/sounds or does it need all the sounds?
    Not sure if you can make it work for mods right now. As far as I know, you can't because it has to be done through the main data/sounds folder. I heard that the 1.2 patch will allow us to do so, along with texture changes and so forth.

You need to extract all the existing M2 music tracks (music folder), add your tracks to the music folder, and have the game compress it.

Has anyone had any luck putting MTW original music in? All I got was some crackling, then I lost all music.

I believe I've found the problem. The same thing happened when I tried to unpack using the 1.1 unpacker (no files showed up), and I remembered that the entire C:/Program Files is Read Only. I'm currently changing that, so I'll see if it works.

EDIT: For those of you that don't read previous posts, or simply don't remember (and don't want to look back), I run Vista, so things are different (along with Enduran, who has the same problem).

EDIT 2: It still doesn't work. I'm bummed.

EDIT 3: Well, apparently whenever I tell something not to be Read Only in C:/Program Files, nothing happens. It just sets itself back. I'm going to try to install outside of that folder, and try everything again. *groan*

EDIT 4: It worked! Hooray. Apparently, you'll need to install M2 out of the program files on Vista if you want to mod. I just closed the .bat file once it got done with the music, though, so I haven't tried for all the voice files yet. I'll try that tomorrow.
    Last edited by Spartan II; April 12, 2007 at 12:22 AM.

Fantastic man, I'm really glad you got it working. Tomorrow, I'll put up your instructions for Vista in the first post.

I've found a better way. Right click on the Medieval II - Total War folder (usually in C:/Program Files/SEGA) and go to properties, then the security tab, and click the big "edit" button. Then go to Administrators and check "full control." Then it will work. However, there will be a problem when you try to extract voice3.idx. It will say there was a problem with xidx.exe, and it will close. It says in the actual command prompt that it paused, or something. I still don't know why that happens with Vista, but for now, the music's fine.

Thanks Spartan, first post was just updated with your instructions.

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Iaius Statius Laurentius View Post
    Well... I've tried to adapt the instructions to voice files as much as possible. I've renamed all the Roman_* files to Mediterranean_* files and converted the files to mp3. That way, they're just replacements.

The thing is though, when I load the game, the game isn't rebuilding the voice.dat files. They're just originals--they aren't packing in my new files. I have the sound text files in the data folder and everything, and my shortcuts all have filefirst on them. Grr.

Does anyone have any ideas?

If you want to repack the voices and even the SFX (what I did) there are several things you must know:

- first one, that is surely not common... if you had introduced sounds to a new mount that you have added, put your descr_mount.txt file in your main data folder (or you will get a crash before the files are generated)
    - Second tip, use a bat file with the command "medieval2.exe --io.file_first". adding the command to the cfg file is not really effective (the game delete the line before launching the game)
    - To generate again the sounds files you would need to delete several files (after saved them). It depends what you want to add:
    • want to add voices? delete the voices files (Voice1.dat, Voice2.dat, Voice3.dat, Voice1.idx, Voice2.idx, Voice3.idx)
    • want to add sounds? delete the SFX files (SFX.idx, SFX.dat)
    Don't forget also to delete events.dat and events.idx... or you will get the old sounds... or a crash.

- 4th tip: if you want to change a lot of things in the sounds (like voices + music + SFX), put all the sound files in your main data folder, delete all the sounds files (don't forget to save them... or if you have problems you will have to reinstall^^) and generate all of them at the same time by launching the game with the io file first command.
    Last edited by Ralendil; April 16, 2007 at 02:30 AM.
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Current Mod for S2TW: Sengoku Unit Cards

wat do u use to open DAT files?

The idx extractor.

can u please direct me to where i can download that