Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Default How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

If you want to learn how to add music to your M2TW game, then you're in the right place. Follow the steps below and let me know if you have any problems.
    There are two methods on doing this, one is through the main data folder and the other is through your mod folder. The main data folder method follows next and you'll find the mod folder method at the bottom.

MAIN DATA FOLDER METHOD

For this method, you'll have to use the io.file first command. You can either create a new batch file with the "medieval2.exe --io.file_first" command or you can put:
    [io]
    file_first = true
    in your config file (medieval2.preference.cfg).

For Vista users, you need to first follow these instructions by Spartan II before you do anything:

Right click on the Medieval II - Total War folder (usually in C:/Program Files/SEGA) and go to properties, then the security tab, and click the big "edit" button. Then go to Administrators and check "full control." Then it will work. However, there will be a problem when you try to extract voice3.idx. It will say there was a problem with xidx.exe, and it will close. It says in the actual command prompt that it paused, or something. I still don't know why that happens with Vista, but for now, the music's fine.

Step One: Download Vercingetorix's IDX extractor. Extract it to a folder of your choosing and take extract_sounds.bat and the xidx.exe and place it in your data/sounds folder. Run extract_sounds.bat and let it do its thing. Once that's done, there will be an extra data/sounds folder in your M2TW data/sounds folder. Go in there and grab the music folder and place it inside your M2TW data/sounds folder and delete the extra data folder.

Step Two: In your data/sounds folder, first backup your events.dat, event.idx, Music.dat, and Music.idx files in case you screw up. You can just move those files to a new folder, located inside your sounds folder for easy access, called for example, MyMusicBackup or whatever. However you choose to backup those files, be sure that they are not in the data/sounds folder because it's crucial that the game rebuilds those files with your changes at the end.

Step Three: Place all your custom music files inside the music folder and be sure that they are all in mp3 format and if there are any spaces in the titles of your custom music tracks, replace the spaces with _ (ex. new_music).

Step Four: Download CA's sound text files in post #9 below and place them all in your data folder. Find descr_sounds_music.txt and right click it. Click properties and uncheck Read-only.

Step Five: Now access your descr_sounds_music.txt file and add in your custom music titles with .mp3 at the end of them. For example, I want to add in four custom music tracks to the English faction: new_music1.mp3, new_music2.mp3, new_music3.mp3, and new_music4.mp3. I'll go in descr_sounds_music.txt and scroll down to the "NORTHERN, EASTERN & WESTERN EUROPEAN MUSIC" CAMPMAP section and add the new tracks as follows:

Code:
    ;;; CAMPMAP			

state MUSIC_STRATMAP_SUMMER
    			event delay 5 
    				folder data/sounds/music			
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_1)_Field_Of_Blood_01.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_1)_Field_Of_Blood_02.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_1)_Field_Of_Blood_03.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_1)_Field_Of_Blood_04.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_2)_Grey_Meadow_01.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_2)_Grey_Meadow_02.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_3)_Lilly_01.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_3)_Lilly_02.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_4)_Peter_The_Piper.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_01.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_02.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_03.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_04.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_05.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_06.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_07.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_08.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_09.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_10.mp3
    				(Euro_Strat_Map_5)_Devil's_Harp_11.mp3
                                    new_music1.mp3
                                    new_music2.mp3
    			end

For the battle map music, you'll have to scroll up until you see the BAttlE MAP section. When adding your tracks in for the various battle map sub-sections, this is how it should look:

Code:
    ;;; BAttlE MAP			

state MUSIC_BATTLE_TENSION
    			event 
    				folder data/sounds/music
                                    (Euro_Tension_1)_BladeGrass.mp3
    				(Euro_Tension_2)_Call_Of_The_Sheep.mp3
    				(Euro_Tension_3)_Fear_Frozen.mp3
    				new_music1.mp3
    			end

state MUSIC_BATTLE_MOBILIZE
    			event
    				folder data/sounds/music
                                    (Euro_Mobilize_1)_Sister_Davul.mp3
    				(Euro_Mobilize_3)_This_is_it.mp3
    				Euro_Mobilize_1.mp3
    				Euro_Mobilize_2.mp3
    				new_music2.mp3
    			end

state MUSIC_BATTLE_BATTLE
    			event
    				folder data/sounds/music
                                    (Euro_Battle_1)_Duke_of_Death.mp3
    			    	(Euro_Battle_3)_Crusaders.mp3
    				Euro_Battle_1.mp3
    				Euro_Battle_2.mp3
    				new_music3.mp3
                end

Step Six: Last but not least, run the game and it'll rebuild the events.dat, event.idx, Music.dat, and Music.idx files with your changes once the splash screen comes up. It should only take a few seconds unless you've added a bunch a music tracks. That's it, you're done. Again, let me know if you encounter any problems.

MOD FOLDER METHOD

(For this method, you'll will not need the io.file first command.)

Step One: Put all the sound text files in your mod/data folder (mod standing for whatever mod you're using like for example, broken_crescent\data).

Step Two: Put the music folder, with all the music tracks inside, in your mod/data/sounds folder.

Step Three: Delete events.dat and events.idx in the sounds folder

Step Four: Make the necessary text edits in the descr_sounds_music.txt file and save it.

Step Five: Start the game up and it'll rebuild the event files. After that, you're ready to go.
    Last edited by Trajan; April 09, 2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: update

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Default Re: Tutorial: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

Hmm did you try doing this with a mod folder instead of file_first?

Caliban said that at the moment, pathing is broken for mod folders so unless they fix it in the next patch, we'll have no choice but to do it through the main data folder.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Yes I tested this. The music.dat isn't generated nor read in a mod folder... meh

Thank you for the tutorial, it works perfectly . A question:
    I want to put music for each faction. In the file descr_sounds_music there is music for culture or religion. As I have said, I want that each faction has your own music, is it possible? I suppose that instead of
    music_type northern_european, eastern_european, will have to put, for example, music_type England and this way with all the factions.

Thank you for the answer!

I don't know, I've never tried it out yet. Not sure if it's possible.

Step Four: Download CA's sound text files and place them all in your data folder. Find descr_sounds_music.txt and right click it. Click properties and uncheck Read-only.
    The Link to the sound text files seems not to be working.

chgo's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by The Prize Fighter View Post
    The Link to the sound text files seems not to be working.
    the link doesn't work for me either
    Peace at home, peace in the world - Atatürk

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Here it is.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

chgo's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss View Post
    Here it is.
    Thank you very much beiss, great job trajan
    Peace at home, peace in the world - Atatürk

No problem guys. Thanks Beiss for providing the sound text files.

NoRbAk's Avatar Civis

Hi!

To all of you guys that are modding the game's music with your own...

After you have modded it with your own music... would you mind sharing it in clandestinity? (smuggling copyright violations..)

I still have litemusicmod for RTW... I'm not offering it because of major copyright violation ... but PM me
    Join the dark side!
    Help me test M2TW darthmod! Msg me! You can be a betatester too!

- NoRb4K - Darthmod betatesting team (;-P)

I have implemented several movie and game tracks into the game but I can't share them because of the copyrights. You can do whatever you want outside of TWC but you can't share music here, not even through PMs. That's why the CC Lite Music Mod was removed awhile back.

Thanks for this, now I've just got to find me some music
    Besides the Gladiator soundtrack and medieval 1 music..
    Muahah, you just wasted 3 seconds of your life!

I tried giving the saxons an eastern european accent by changing the accent in and saving it in mymod/data, but it doesn't work. I tried saving it in the regular data folder, but it still didn't work. I tried deleting those files just in case that did anything and changing the file's properites back to read-only but it still does not work, as the game retains those English accents for the saxons. Why is this and how do I fix it?

Hey folks, I'm in the process of creating an overhaul of the music in M:TW2 just wanting to know is it possible to change the music on the main menu screen?

Great tutorial by the way, with a bit of luck it all worked eventually, just added in some great arabic and classic style music to the game.. now it just feels so much better to play. It really improves the game to get the feel of that time.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Eclipse; January 28, 2007 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Commander Bob View Post
    I tried giving the saxons an eastern european accent by changing the accent in and saving it in mymod/data, but it doesn't work. I tried saving it in the regular data folder, but it still didn't work. I tried deleting those files just in case that did anything and changing the file's properites back to read-only but it still does not work, as the game retains those English accents for the saxons. Why is this and how do I fix it?
    I never tried modding the accents so I can't help you there. When you tried to do it through the main data folder, did you use the io.file_first command?

Hans Kloss's Avatar J-23

Quote Originally Posted by Time Commander Bob View Post
    I have found way to fix that - check this thread

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81284

Hello, it doesnt seems to work for me....

I have unpacked the music from Rome, and take two of the MP3s from there. Then I unpacked the music from mtw2 and I replaced two mp3 with the ones from rome directory, renaming them with MTW2 names, so all the files look the same as before changing. Then, I wanted to generate music .idx and .dat back, for mtw2 of course. But when running medieval --etc it doesnt seem to like my music files, and cut them to 20k.
    I compared original music.idx with the one generated by me. Althought they have the same names inside, they are not in the same order.

What could be the problem?

PS I performed an even simplier test. Unpacked MTW2 "music.dat+idx" and packed back without any change. Then overwrite the ones in sound folder. It doesnt work anymore, no sound and music.dat is cut to 20b. Any ideea?
    Last edited by a999; February 06, 2007 at 10:01 AM.

Hans Kloss's Avatar J-23

I think you might need to install those extra sound text files as well

attachment

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...7&postcount=16

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast