Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Is my battle difficulty bugged or do i just suck?

Default Re: Is my battle difficulty bugged or do i just suck?

I had an issue where even if I changed the slider, it would actually not change the difficulty. I had to delete my user settings, etc and reinstall. That was years ago, though.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

I played some more but with Dresden's submod deactivated plus the difficulty at VH/N and it also played fine.
    Last edited by Satansblofish; April 01, 2018 at 10:57 PM. Reason: updates on what works/doesn't

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I had an issue where even if I changed the slider, it would actually not change the difficulty. I had to delete my user settings, etc and reinstall. That was years ago, though.
    Υeah that would do the trick most of the time. But I'm still concerned about the stats etc

Ok i tried to investigate this issue myself now and did some tests.

System:

1. Latest Rome 2 build, fresh installation 3rd of April 2018
    2. Latest DEI version, update 31 of March 2018
    3. sally out mod for minor settlements (on steam workshop: minor settlement field battle)

I set Unit size to Large, so Principes and Italian Citizen have unit size 150. Campaign was set to very hard. Then ingame set battle difficulty to normal and saved the game. Then i fought with Principes solo units against solo Italian Citizen in Turn 4 or 5 against Etruscan garrison army. I did the same later with campaign set to normal and normal battle difficulty normal again of course.

Results:

Campaign very hard/battle difficulty normal:

1. Principes Early 150 men left/ Italian Citizen 116 left (started routing)
    2. Principes Early 145 men left/ Italian Citizen 88 left (started routing)

Campaign normal/battle difficulty normal:

1. Principes Early 150 men left/ Italian Citizen 92 left (started routing)
    2. Principes Early 145 men left/ Italian Citizen 89 left (started routing)

I aswell did one test after loading savegame with Campaign very hard/battle difficulty normal, result:

1. Principes Early 149 men left/ Italian Citizen 88 left (started routing)

Best regards,
    Medieval Knight

I mean these results are as it should be right? So it's not fault of Patch 19 or DEI that some users have other results right?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 05, 2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

@Medieval Knight They seem pretty normal to me. But the issue is quite trickier than other reproducible bugs, since people are reporting different results.

I’m glad this topic came to light. I never would have tried the hardcore Sub mod otherwise and I’m having an absolute blast with it, the difficulty of capturing and integrating new territory into the empire is awesome and the battles feel decisive with lesser stacks on the map. I’m a huge fan and truly loving the mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ardri View Post
    I’m glad this topic came to light. I never would have tried the hardcore Sub mod otherwise and I’m having an absolute blast with it, the difficulty of capturing and integrating new territory into the empire is awesome and the battles feel decisive with lesser stacks on the map. I’m a huge fan and truly loving the mod!

Good to know.

So, after reading those last inputs, I just had to try a new VH CAI campaign.

Started a new one and so far I haven't experienced the aforementioned reported issues.

However, I did something different this time. Reading a suggestion somewhere in this thread that maybe one should change the BAI difficulty slider to "normal" right on the first turn, I did just that. The result was a proper VH CAI campaign with no 'hidden' bonuses in battles whatsoever. After experiencing this, I actually acknowledge that, before, I hadn't had the care of changing the slider right on the first turn. So maybe there's the problem: if you don't change the BAI difficulty right on the first turn, you're stuck with the CAI's correspondent BAI difficulty for the rest of the campaign.

Mods I'm using:
    - De Ai Arbitriis
    - 4TPY Build/Research/Costs
    - English Faction and Units and cities' names
    - Weed mod
    - Some graphical and texture mods
    - All diplomatic options submods
    - GBJ blood mod: purple rivers
    - Wonders of the ancient world
    Last edited by gabrielscunha; April 19, 2018 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielscunha View Post
    So, after reading those last inputs, I just had to try a new VH CAI campaign.

Started a new one and so far I haven't experienced the aforementioned reported issues.

However, I did something different this time. Reading a suggestion somewhere in this thread that maybe one should change the BAI difficulty slider to "normal" right on the first turn, I did it just that. The result was a proper VH CAI campaign with no 'hidden' bonuses in battles whatsoever. After experiencing this, I actually acknowledge that, before, I hadn't the care in changing the slider right on the first turn. So maybe there's the problem: if you don't change the BAI difficulty right on the first turn, you're stuck with the CAI's correspondent BAI difficulty for the rest of the campaign.

Mods I'm using:
    - De Ai Arbitriis
    - 4TPY Build/Research/Costs
    - English Faction and Units and cities' names
    - Weed mod
    - Some graphical and texture mods
    - All diplomatic options submods
    - GBJ blood mod: purple rivers
    - Wonders of the ancient world
    I don't think that is the case. I play VH/N(or H) and never care to change the battle slider until right before my first battle which is never on the first turn.

What stands out to me about this game-breaking bug, is that is doesn't seem to be popping up as an issue in the other Rome II communities. Also, this thread has been on its last legs for ~10 days, with most of the people who had reported the problem having now gone quiet. Perhaps I am mistaken, but it's looking more like user error. In a potential case where there is a serious issue, Dresdens fix should help.

Yeah the lack of reports usually means the issue was fixed or it's random which is far worst, cause we can't really fix it if we can't reproduce it.

First of all, this is my first mensage in this fórum. I have been just a viewer in the past few years. I enjoyed this mod since the begning of its creation. I must admit its a hell of a good job, a masterpiece whithing totalwar mods. I thank u all for the countless hours of entertainment u gave me, sharing with me the same interest in this time period.
    After that beeing said, I want to report that this issue is ruining my campaings after the CA update. The normal difficulty plus the hardcore diplomatic submod is too easy and with the complete hardcore mod the game feels too slow and sometimes boring, still being easy. When I play H/H the battles are terrible especially fighting heavy armoured infantry like roman armies. Its like five sword units to kill one early principes. I tried everything. Dresden fix dont correct the problem, cpu units receive a huge negative stats and they perform worst than the same units on N/N. The battles are easier than ever. I try to reinstal everything but still didnt work. So now my only hope to have a nice grand campaing is with the next data venia uptodate tô the 1.2.2L version. If someone knows how to change this, plz help me figure this out. I want tô play DEI VH/N once again!

I play DEI 1.2.2L + celticus HD flora and ambients + gemfx+epic music sounds.

This bug is difficult to fix. This only affects some players. I don't experience it myself. I tested campaigns on:

Normal
    : Normal battles, Hard battles, Very Hard battles
    Hard: Normal battles, Hard battles, Very Hard battles
    Very Hard: Normal battles, Hard battles, Very Hard battles

I tested Rome attacking Arretium on all settings, same general same army
    I tested Carthage attacking Arse on all settings, same general same army

The all siege battles, but I reloaded every time until I got a field battle.

It's all working fine for me.

So those of you that do get this bug, you guys need to help us so we can help you.

¤ Do some testing in base Rome. Delete every mod you have and test this. Is it working in base game? If not then this is a base game bug and you need to post this on the official forums.
    ¤ Make a lot of test, make screenshots of the results, make savegames.
    ¤ If all is working fine in the base game, then install DeI and only DeI. Do more test. Is it working?
    ¤ Make a lot of test, make screenshots of the results, make savegames.

If the bug only show up in DeI, please provide us with the screenshots and savegames from the base game and screenshots and savegames from DeI.
    If you can make some videos, please do that too.

I can probably make you a fixmod for this, but I need you to provide me with data, test result etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LONE_WOLF3 View Post
    This is exactly the problem, try only DeI, try only the base game. We can't make test and try to fix this when you guys use other mod.
    CA don't accept bugrapports if you use mods and DeI can't accept bugrapports if you use other mods.
    Last edited by pawelrut; April 13, 2018 at 04:31 AM.

I’m going to try and do some of these tests this weekend. I think it may be the issue people had a long time ago with the slider change not having any impact. For what it is worth, I have the steam copy of the game. I’ll try and test it in the base game and with DeI active, other than DeI, Julii family submod and hardcore submod I don’t have any other mods active.

After that beeing said, I want to report that this issue is ruining my campaings after the CA update. The normal difficulty plus the hardcore diplomatic submod is too easy and with the complete hardcore mod the game feels too slow and sometimes boring, still being easy. When I play H/H the battles are terrible especially fighting heavy armoured infantry like roman armies. Its like five sword units to kill one early principes. I tried everything. Dresden fix dont correct the problem, cpu units receive a huge negative stats and they perform worst than the same units on N/N. The battles are easier than ever. I try to reinstal everything but still didnt work. So now my only hope to have a nice grand campaing is with the next data venia uptodate tô the 1.2.2L version. If someone knows how to change this, plz help me figure this out. I want tô play DEI VH/N once again!

If you could post a video demonstrating the issue, that would be amazing. Otherwise, there are several overarching issues with this thread that need to be addressed and I am going to use your post for my response.

Let's just go one point at a time:

-Where else in the Rome II community can we see this game-breaking bug reproduced? I can't seem to find anything of recent note.

-To be honest, your level of pickiness puts you in a tiny minority, when one version of the HC mod is too easy but the other is too boring but VH is just perfect. There a lot of sub mods for you to try to help find that sweet spot.

-Several people have tried testing this extensively, myself included, and as far as I can tell no one has been able to reproduce it.

-The inconsistency in the reports. Even your report differs from others. Now you are reporting a newer problem with the 'hard' difficulty, as you have just described it being essentially impossible.

-I hope Data Venia works for you(it's awesome) but if that somehow fixes the problem, then we know less about this issue than we realize.

-This is a mod team and are not equipped to hunt down the source of such game breaking bugs. Which leads me to this next unfortunate reality...

-There are so many things that need to be done with DeI, that is it really worth it for the mod team to be chasing down bugs we can't prove exist for an absurdly small minority within the community? A bit of a prisoner's dilemma so I think that's why some concrete proof or corroboration from other communities could go a long way.

-Furthermore, if this bug is what has been described and affects people at random, this is not a mod level issue but a CA level issue. This sums it up nicely:

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Yeah the lack of reports usually means the issue was fixed or it's random which is far worst, cause we can't really fix it if we can't reproduce it.
    -Others have reported they simply made a mistake or disappeared altogether after a fix was posted.

At this point, in my view, getting examples of concrete proof of the bug and reporting it to the appropriate parties, like CA, is what is going to fix the problem. Otherwise, we are spinning our wheels here.

I will have to do some testing also, but lately my playing time is down due to RL. I have been playing on N/N with other mods to make it harder. I am usually a VH/N player but the battles would grind down into 50% casualties even in battles I preform Cannae tactics. On Normal I only flank with one wing IF the General is there and give the battle line a AI Attack this spot. Probably more realistic that way anyway. Just showing that the problem was still there but some of us don’t like to continue to complain on Great, Fantastic, Sensational, etc. mod. I could not play this game without DEI but venting on constantly doesn’t show appreciation. Thanks DEI team!

If you have the bug, please try the submod I posted in the first post of this thread. It should help at least with those experiencing the issue. Thats all we can do for now until we have more to go on and figure out why its only for some and not others.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    If you have the bug, please try the submod I posted in the first post of this thread. It should help at least with those experiencing the issue. Thats all we can do for now until we have more to go on and figure out why its only for some and not others.
    I will Dresden. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Satansblofish View Post
    -Others have reported they simply made a mistake or disappeared altogether after a fix was posted.
    At this point, in my view, getting examples of concrete proof of the bug and reporting it to the appropriate parties, like CA, is what is going to fix the problem. Otherwise, we are spinning our wheels here.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCB206 View Post
    I will have to do some testing also, but lately my playing time is down due to RL. I have been playing on N/N with other mods to make it harder. I am usually a VH/N player but the battles would grind down into 50% casualties even in battles I preform Cannae tactics. On Normal I only flank with one wing IF the General is there and give the battle line a AI Attack this spot. Probably more realistic that way anyway. Just showing that the problem was still there but some of us don’t like to continue to complain on Great, Fantastic, Sensational, etc. mod. I could not play this game without DEI but venting on constantly doesn’t show appreciation. Thanks DEI team!
    Yes it's a difficult and headbanging issue for sure, cause we don't know what to report exactly. The problem is that Devs like (the CA's ones) always give the same answer. If we can't reproduce then we can fix it and that's it.

After trying a lot to solve de problem, I finaly did it by following the report by gabrielscunha. I just change the slide to normal battle difficulty in the first turn before doing anything else. Its just that simple. The difficulty in battles continue to grown with Hard and very Hard campaing because the enemy army is composed with more upgraded troops and a better general. On the other hand, no more archers beating calvary charge!!!

Thanks again for the excelent mod, im a big fan! I will stay tuned in with the changes to come!!!

After trying a lot to solve de problem, I finaly did it by following the report by gabrielscunha. I just change the slide to normal battle difficulty in the first turn before doing anything else. Its just that simple. The difficulty in battles continue to grown with Hard and very Hard campaing because the enemy army is composed with more upgraded troops and a better general. On the other hand, no more archers beating calvary charge!!!

Thanks again for the excelent mod, im a big fan! I will stay tuned in with the changes to come!!!
    Thanks for your report.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456