Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Couple of Simple Questions

QoreArqamani's Avatar Foederatus

Default A Couple of Simple Questions

So recently whilst scrolling about the main twc page for the first time in a bit I noticed this little nook , a post-to-play rpg section. Now I've always loved the idea of text rp's , something about writing my own characters and having them interact with other peoples has always been pretty fun for me , in fact I'm currently engaged in another small but very close knit rp group currently (though it's most likely much less formal). So of course y'know ...I'm very intrigued, I see that there are some older rp forums here and also some newer suggestions but I've read mention of a Discord server? Yet before I ask to join and make any big decisions like that I'd kind of like to know how you all roll when it comes to these kinds of things , there's a lot of structure in the rp suggestions I've seen and I gotta say I'm not especially used to that...but I am pretty interested so I just thought I'd ask how y'all go about things.

Default Re: A Couple of Simple Questions

Generally what you see is what you get - the rules for any game provide the rough structure of a game. Some rules are more mandatory than others, some rules are merely meant as direction. All of that depends on the game on offer at the particular moment. I would suggest that the best way to figure out whether or not these games are for you is to sample them! We are always happy to welcome new players and we will do everything we can to help you adjust. I would suggest you check out some of our archives. Our games revolve around play by post games which can be pvp or cooperative depending on the game. Lately we've been mostly interested in historical or fictional settings, as in Republican Rome, Game of Thrones, and imminently a Viking Age RP. If you're intimidated by the structure of the rules of a game I would say don't worry - many of our games follow similar rules which after a few days, you will recognize and be able to cope with. Most of us have been here for multiple years so we're familiar with the shorthand.

Alright then , I'll make sure to take a look , I appreciate the quick response!

You're very welcome, I'd be happy to answer any further questions.

I really appreciate it believe me , so I suppose I should pose my first question then , I read a bit of your Comes Britannia campaign in the Late Antiquity Roman RPG , and it seemed pretty cool. This rpg crew seems to have a very well organized structured thing going (though I've no idea how you keep track of all the things like troop numbers and production without a flow chart.) However this raises a pretty significant question for me , as an rper I am one to focus very heavily on personality and chemistry between character. I like to delve into my character's personal thoughts motives, habits and the like , but with the very structured system you guys have got going where characters can and will die sometimes in very brutal and abrupt ways, does this perhaps lead to less of an attachment to the char them self? Secondly as a more char-centric rper do you think I'd be able to fit in among the other members of this group?

Quote Originally Posted by QoreArqamani View Post
    I really appreciate it believe me , so I suppose I should pose my first question then , I read a bit of your Comes Britannia campaign in the Late Antiquity Roman RPG , and it seemed pretty cool. This rpg crew seems to have a very well organized structured thing going (though I've no idea how you keep track of all the things like troop numbers and production without a flow chart.)
    Factoring troop numbers and production does not necessarily need to be done before it becomes relevant - that is before a battle. As Comes of Britania, I wasn't aware of my troop number (100%) before it was relevant. I did know my relative strength so I never made any ridiculous decisions. (You would know all of this information beforehand as well).

However this raises a pretty significant question for me , as an rper I am one to focus very heavily on personality and chemistry between character. I like to delve into my character's personal thoughts motives, habits and the like , but with the very structured system you guys have got going where characters can and will die sometimes in very brutal and abrupt ways, does this perhaps lead to less of an attachment to the char them self? Secondly as a more char-centric rper do you think I'd be able to fit in among the other members of this group?
    Personal relationships between characters counts for a lot in every game we play. Our characters are dynamic and very much vulnerable to the ebb and flow of the RP. Many characters are flawed in some areas, gifted in others, and the RP style will reflect that reality. It isn't all about brute strength - there is some finesse necessary. Often times the most powerful character in a game can be overwhelmed by a coalition of weaker characters. Characters can die suddenly and brutally, and this has very seldom led to a dimishment of our games. Usually it adds a lot of flair. What happens when one of the leading men in Rome dies? What happens when the King in Game of Thrones dies? We get to explore all these scenarios, but in an organic way thanks to how our rules function. Even after a central figure dies either the allies of the deceased are emboldened,or the deceased leaves behind heirs who will then assert their own power and authority. You'll likely never roll just one character in our games - so the loss of one (even a very powerful one) will not destroy your chances of pursuing your goals.

Hell, I've had a main character be assassinated and have his son go on to exact overwhelming revenge on the character family responsible and kill half their family. Four for the cost of one.

If you guys decide to join us I'll personally help you through anything you need help on from registration to figuring out troop totals. I'm familiar enough with the systems it won't be any hassle at all.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; March 08, 2018 at 11:19 PM.

Well alright then , it's all sounding pretty good I gotta say I'm very much interested , especially in the Vikings RP if it comes to fruition as I got a bit of a guilty pleasure for the nordic bastards myself.So moving on , are you guys still mainly basing your rps here or is there somewhere else these days?

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by QoreArqamani View Post
    Well alright then , it's all sounding pretty good I gotta say I'm very much interested , especially in the Vikings RP if it comes to fruition as I got a bit of a guilty pleasure for the nordic bastards myself.So moving on , are you guys still mainly basing your rps here or is there somewhere else these days?
    There is the viking rp which I believe is starting today, Snape's rp Beyond Potter which is a smaller scale rp which started here and was moved off site, and I run a dnd campaign for a few of the members here using roll 20 and skype. There is a discord where a lot of this stuff gets discussed. Most of us have been playing on here for years on and off and will be more then happy to help with any questions you may have.

For the past several months thete has been no viable game in this forum. A niche Potter Rp is operating elsewhere, for more info on that you can PM me

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

The main important RP's are still played here. The Viking game is supposed to be launched very soon anyways.

Just read the rules of the games and you should be fine. If still questions don't hesitate to ask
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Just waiting for the higher ups on when the sub-forum will be ready.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Hot damn whole lot of replies! Wasn't expecting this much attention but I'll take it as a sign that this is still pretty alive , okay so what i picked up from all that is that this site has been the base of quite a few bigger rps , but that there are smaller niche ones on other sites as well okay cool. And yes if I decide to join up for sure (As I don't want to be a flake and promise anyhing just yet) I will make sure to ask questions about things like rules (perhaps even a little too much.)

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Yeah right now we are coming out of a hiatus on rps and trying to lift one up from the ground. People have already mentioned the setting and I thank them for that.

Ask any and all questions you may have! We will gladly answer them.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Welcome m8, look forward to rpging with you

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Alright then , glad to know there's a good number of ppl here willing to help out would-be newcomers! I'll be awaiting the formal creation of the viking rp with the hopes of hopping in.

It will be up when the Hex staff gets our forum request through. Keep an eye out.

Ok I got the dumbest question ever but I'd seriously like to know , when I posted my characters in the signup thread I didn't give them bios bc I thought I could go back to them later....but I don't have the option to edit my posts , yet other ppl obviously can so...how are y'all doing that?

You need a certain number of posts to edit. I believe it's being a member for a week and 25 posts. You can PM one of the mods and they can edit stuff in for you.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Ninjaed by Trot. The mods can be found at the bottom of the forum here:
    Moderators of this Forum

thanks , kinda felt like an idiot there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast