Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome Total War Randomiser

Default Rome Total War Randomiser

Hi!

Thought I'd share a small tool I've been working on, was making this two years ago but got busy irl. But since I have slightly more time now I started working on it again.

The tool aims to randomise everything that can feasibly be randomised in the game, at least it will do eventually.
    At the moment it can randomise the more basic things:

• Starting locations for each faction
    • Starting denari in the treasury
    • Faction ai
    • Unit stats (health, hp, training etc)
    • Unit costs (initial and upkeep)
    • Unit sizes
    • custom seed (so you can share an interesting map)
    • Unit Sounds
    • Unit Training
    • Unit Attributes (with a choice of the max amount a unit can have)
    • Unit Ground Bonus
    • Faction rosters
    • Balanced rosters (Attempts to balance the unit selection for each faction, this hasn't been tested extensively yet) deprecated

In future I hope to add more interesting randomisation like which units can be recruited by each faction.
    Factions can now have randomised rosters!

Tools:

• Faction select map generator (can automatically create faction select maps for you) This is available in a previous release but has since been deprecated.

Known Bugs:

• If there's more armies than the amount of cities a faction has they'll stack on the capital. You just need to use the "Army Lists" scroll to move them. I'll prob fix this at some point, but imo its low priority as I'd rather get more things randomised.
    • Unit cards will default to the peasant card if a faction can't normally recruit it. This is fine however as this does not cause a crash. This can now be fixed!

Here's the link: https://github.com/sargeantPig/RTWRandomiser/releases
    The source code: https://github.com/sargeantPig/RTWRandomiser

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Aaronbaron; September 24, 2018 at 11:00 AM.
    Rome Total War Randomiser --- Thread --- Source Code

RTWLIB --- C#Library for manipulating and parsing the Rome Total War files. WIP.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Rome Total War Randomiser

Nice work. +rep

As this has been released, I'll move it to Released Mods.

Thread moved from WIPs, Ideas and Proposals.
    Last edited by Frunk; March 05, 2018 at 10:29 PM.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

nice work indeed +rep
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Good job! It's not easy create this type of programs.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

OK, this is crazy haha +1

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Released an update:

Ui changes
    Random Sounds
    Random Training
    Random Attributes (with a choice of the max amount a unit can have)
    Random Ground Bonus

RTWLIB --- C#Library for manipulating and parsing the Rome Total War files. WIP.

Ummm, what's the relationship between this and this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-favorite-game. Released under a month before this tool. Coincidence or are you guys working together?

Moderator Emeritus

There are a few similar tools for M2TW, as well, like this one.

Cool bro, nice

Quote Originally Posted by BHL 20 View Post
    Ummm, what's the relationship between this and this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-favorite-game. Released under a month before this tool. Coincidence or are you guys working together?
    Just a coincidence, i started work on this two years ago but only recently started working on it again.

Released an update
    https://github.com/sargeantPig/RTWRa...tag/v1.3-alpha

Faction unit rosters can now be randomised. This makes for some pretty ridiculous games, especially when combined with random unit stats.

Moderator Emeritus

This is great!

How much work would it take to make this tool work for M2TW?

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    This is great!

How much work would it take to make this tool work for M2TW?
    Shouldnt be too much work, i think it would mostly be minor changes in the parsers and data classes. I'll take a look later on today.

I've gotten M2TW randomised!

I'll post a couple of screenies below. Before I release this I need to fix some issues and get randomised rosters working with M2TW.

Update: Medieval 2 can be randomised to the same level as Rome!

Update:
    I've added a new tool that can create the faction select screen maps for each faction automatically.

Also added a new balanced roster feature, the feature attempts to balance the rosters of each faction by splitting the units into tiers then each faction chooses a certain amount of units from each tier.

Great Work! but a small curiosity, Would it be possible to perform a "random" simply with the vanilla initial positions and some conquests of neighboring factions? so that the campaign starts basically the same, but with some invasions and unforeseen conflicts; then the initial strategy is improvised and unexpected, but without surrealist positions.

I've had a few comments from people wanting a medieval 2 total war version, but the previous version of this mod already supports medieval 2. I am currently in the process of separating the two which is why the current version does not support medieval 2.

So if you want to use this mod with medieval 2 use this version: https://github.com/sargeantPig/RTWRa...tag/v1.4-alpha

Eventually there will be a separate application for medieval 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel_80 View Post
    Great Work! but a small curiosity, Would it be possible to perform a "random" simply with the vanilla initial positions and some conquests of neighboring factions? so that the campaign starts basically the same, but with some invasions and unforeseen conflicts; then the initial strategy is improvised and unexpected, but without surrealist positions.
    I'm pretty sure this is possible, if i'm understanding you correctly. I'll definitely look into it but can't guarantee when :p

Voronoi Maps

Random Cities Maps

Seeded Comparison

Voronoi Map

Random Cities Map

Just a quick preview of the next version, it's faster and looks nicer than the previous.

A new feature of note is the 'voronoi empires' option. This option uses a voronoi diagram to distribute settlements, using this creates some pretty interesting maps. More often than not there will be quite a few big factions, but also some factions which are caught up between these much larger empires. Personally I think this option is much better than 'random cities' which just assigns random capitals then gives the faction some settlements that are near by.

Voronoi looks more natural in a way, I'll post a few screenshots of each option for the sake of comparison.
    Last edited by Aaronbaron; August 29, 2018 at 10:22 AM.

New update!

https://github.com/sargeantPig/RTWRa...tag/v1.6-alpha

New Features

New Ui, the new ui is a lot more clear and easier to understand. It now looks like it has polish and I hope others feel the same way.

Voronoi Empires, described above in my previous post. This option uses a voronoi grid to distribute settlements.

Mighty Empires, this option populates each city with an army for each faction. On top of this the armies are scaled in size according to how many settlements the faction owns and the cities are randomly populated with buildings.

Raging Rebels, this option cranks up the rebel spawn value. This is a silly one and the ai really cannot deal with the amount of rebels, so I dont recommend... Although it's funny.

Unit cards/unit_info fix, this option fixes the unit cards and unit_info pictures becoming peasants when random rosters is on. The fix is described in more detail on the github.

The randomiser now acts as a launcher for the mod. Including the options for an ai only game or windowed mode. (show-err is enabled automatically)

Issues

There is still some in-game crashes that I'm having trouble tracking down, although they seem largely infrequent compared to the previous release. If you get a crash please report back what you were doing when the crash happened.

Mighty Empires can cause the ai to have serious monetary issues if the random costs is on, you will also likely have serious money issues. This is due to the sheer amount of armies each faction gets. I'll tone this down for the next release.

Future

My real life is a tad busy again, so updates will likely be infrequent from here on. I will however devote extra time if something super important needs fixing!

Eventually i'll get round to making a Medieval 2 version, but as I said above my time is limited now. If you're desperate for Medieval 2 download this release: https://github.com/sargeantPig/RTWRa...tag/v1.4-alpha

RTWLIB

To make the project more readable and concise I split the part that actually manipulates rome total war files into a library that can be used by anyone, if you are interested you can view this here: https://github.com/sargeantPig/RTWLib

This is a WIP and many improvements can be made but for now it's good enough!
    Last edited by Aaronbaron; September 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast