Thread: Mountains.CS2 causing crash when creating startpos in BOB

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Default Mountains.CS2 causing crash when creating startpos in BOB

Hi everyone.

I am editing the Fall of the Samurai campaign map and need some help with mountains - specifically mountains.CS2 makes BOB unable to build the startpos.

--------------------------

Here is my process (hopefully someone can point out a stupid mistake I am making):

- I have created a new map (without the mountains.CS2) that works fine. So I go back to the beginning to add the mountains.cs2

In 3DS Max:

I hide all layers except regions & mountains.

I freeze regions.

I then select an existing mountain range and copy/paste it, renaming it Mountain91.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountains.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	351164

I place this new mountain range in a new region (that works without mountains.CS2 in it).

I then hide regions, select a mountain, press CTRL + A, and export the selected as mountains.CS2.

This goes into the raw modding folder along with regions.CS2 and settlements.CS2.

After adding the regions and settlements (as usual) in TWEAK. I then go into BOB:

In BOB

In RAW I select "all" in the campaign_maps/jap_boshin folder.

In working/text I select the db files I have edited as well as the startpos files.

I also select the data/pack in retail.

This goes through BOB no problem, with only orange warnings.

Name:	Mountains2.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	351165

After this, I move "pathfinding" "regions" & "trade_routes" into the pack file, then move that into the S2TW data folder.

Then back into BOB

I select the jap_boshin campaign in raw.

I also select poi & trade in working (just in case).

Then press start.

shogun opens with the selected mod pack

In the second loading screen the game crashes.

Bob tells me it was unable to save startpos.

-------------------------------------

So any ideas where I am going wrong?

Default Re: Mountains.CS2 causing crash when creating startpos in BOB

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    snip
    Do not build the startpos together with the Raw CS2 files. First convert all CS2 files (db files also off course) and this will make a pack file (mod.pack). Add that to your data game folder and than you start BOB again and create the startpos. Add the startpos.esf in your mod.pack and start the game.
    Also, all mountains need to be selected and converted in Mountains.CS2 file (just in case if you forgot).
    Last edited by Frunk; March 04, 2018 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Quote removed for easier viewing.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by izzi View Post
    Do not build the startpos together with the Raw CS2 files. First convert all CS2 files (db files also off course) and this will make a pack file (mod.pack). Add that to your data game folder and than you start BOB again and create the startpos. Add the startpos.esf in your mod.pack and start the game.
    Also, all mountains need to be selected and converted in Mountains.CS2 file (just in case if you forgot).
    Hey Izzi,

I am building the CS2 files with the db first - and this goes through BOB no problem. It's when I am building the startpos that the game crashes when BOB opens it. But the exact same files won't crash BOB if I leave mountains out. So something about the mountains seems be causing the problem but only when it comes to building the startpos.

Do you put the mod.pack in the data folder and than build the startpos trough BOB?

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Do you put the mod.pack in the data folder and than build the startpos trough BOB?
    Yeah, so the mod.pack is in the data folder and then I run BOB.

BOB opens the mod manager, I select the mod.pack and launch Shogun. It gets to the second loading screen and then Shogun crashes. BOB displays as red and says it was unable to save startpos.

But if just remove mountains.CS2 and do everything else exactly the same, it works. So mountains.CS2 is what is causing the issue.

Any ideas?

I remember i had that a couple of times. My suggestion is to delete the mountain you added and add it again (by cloning it). Sometimes they are small errors.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

I remember i had that a couple of times. My suggestion is to delete the mountain you added and add it again (by cloning it). Sometimes they are small errors.

I just tried a test and using the original Boshin map, i just cloned a small mountain and placed it in a different province - no other changes. Again it crashed on the second round of BOB. There must be something wrong with the process but I don't know what it is.

I just tried a test and using the original Boshin map, i just cloned a small mountain and placed it in a different province - no other changes. Again it crashed on the second round of BOB. There must be something wrong with the process but I don't know what it is.
    Try to do first the regions/ports/farms and region specialties. Than the roads and land trade routes. After the sea trade routes. Piece by piece (make one region at a time and test always). And than later start with mountains and rivers.

Have you tried renaming the mountain to Mountain01? It can cause problem if you have a mountain called Mountain91 but don't have 90 other mountains.
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5 View Post
    Have you tried renaming the mountain to Mountain01? It can cause problem if you have a mountain called Mountain91 but don't have 90 other mountains.
    So I tried two things:

1 - I took the original FotS campaign map and just copy/pasted a mountain range and placed it somewhere else. At first that didn't work but then I tried putting "poi" & "sea grids" (the converted .CS2 files) into the pack as well before making the startpos. This seemed to work.

2 - With this success I tried basically the same thing again with my new land mass (that works without mountains.cs2) and it did not work. I tried just moving existing mountain ranges rather than copy/pasting to avoid the problem Uanime5. This also did not work.

This makes me think there is a problem is when I'm putting the mountain range on a new land mass.

I followed the tutorials but the FotS map is different in 3DS Max so I don't know if a problem has come out of that?

So I tried two things:

1 - I took the original FotS campaign map and just copy/pasted a mountain range and placed it somewhere else. At first that didn't work but then I tried putting "poi" & "sea grids" (the converted .CS2 files) into the pack as well before making the startpos. This seemed to work.

2 - With this success I tried basically the same thing again with my new land mass (that works without mountains.cs2) and it did not work. I tried just moving existing mountain ranges rather than copy/pasting to avoid the problem Uanime5. This also did not work.

This makes me think there is a problem is when I'm putting the mountain range on a new land mass.

I followed the tutorials but the FotS map is different in 3DS Max so I don't know if a problem has come out of that?
    Yep, FOTS map is a bit different. I cloned a mountain, re-named it as the last one of the amount of mountains on the map. Added it on the new land mas. Saved all the mountains as mountain.cs2 and had never a problem. Off course, i don't remember all of the things, as it has been a time.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Yep, FOTS map is a bit different. I cloned a mountain, re-named it as the last one of the amount of mountains on the map. Added it on the new land mas. Saved all the mountains as mountain.cs2 and had never a problem. Off course, i don't remember all of the things, as it has been a time.
    My only thoughts are that there must be a problem in my building of the new landmass? Can't imagine why else no mountain ranges would be able to go there.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Is it possibly something to do with the sea_groundtypes in 3DS Max? I didn't change anything on this.

In the FotS map (in 3DS Max) the sea_groundtypes are the same in the region close to land and the region far away, it's all "groundtype_sea_coast":

Name:	Sea_groundtypes.png 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	351249

Any ideas if this is causing an issue?

Is it possibly something to do with the sea_groundtypes in 3DS Max? I didn't change anything on this.

In the FotS map (in 3DS Max) the sea_groundtypes are the same in the region close to land and the region far away, it's all "groundtype_sea_coast":

Name:	Sea_groundtypes.png 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	351249

Any ideas if this is causing an issue?
    Normally not. In Shogun 2, it's related to attrition (depends in which material you use). But in FOTS it's not been used.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

I have done a bit of testing and for some reason it is just not allowing me to add the mountains to the new land mass (the same with groundtypes). Curious, not sure why. I'll keep playing about with it.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

I have done some more digging on this and it is bringing strange results:

The landmass (which worked in game) I was working on was crashing when I include mountains.CS2 - the crash came when BOB was trying to produce the Startpos.

I started again and created an almost identical landmass, in an identical way - and now it seems to work.

The thing that confuses me is that the original landmass I had created was working in game when I didn't include mountains.CS2

IN CONCLUSION

I think it must have been a bug (maybe caused by something I did when creating the original landmass)

The solution: Just have to recreate the landmass

Malcolm, how were you able to make your campaign map look so realistic?!

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Palaiogos View Post
    Malcolm, how were you able to make your campaign map look so realistic?!
    Hi Palaiogos,

I'm still playing with the look of the mountains but for the screenshot I did this:

1) Found a good black and white heightmap of Britain online.
    2) Opened the S2TW heightmap, brought in the one I found online and matched it up with the position of the S2TW map where I had placed Britain.
    3) Right clicked on the heightmap I brought in from online and clicked "blending options" or something like that.
    4) clicked on cover overlay - brought the low colours up to the height of the ground in shogun 2 (86/86/86) and brought the highs down a bit.
    5) Use that in S2TW.

Hope that helps.

Malcolm, any new pictures of the map?