Thread: Help With AI Campaign Map Decisions

Default Help With AI Campaign Map Decisions

I have a scenario where the AI has 1 walled settlement, that is all he has, on the prior turn he took the settlement from me. When he took the settlement he decided to position his army one step outside the settlement in the water. This is problem #1. By doing this I am able to attack the settlement and kill his forces outside the city walls. I have seen the AI do this many times. It ruins the siege game as I never get to attack a walled settlement because the AI will not leave any stacks for defense INSIDE the city even with my large army looming.

Problem #2 I decide to leave him alone this turn and see what he does. The very next turn he moves from Thressalonica towards Constantinople in order to attack an army that is way smaller than his, but at the very limit of his move points. So I can clearly retreat without losing the army of 5 units. By doing this the AI is abandoning his one line of defense (walled settlement) just to try to take out a smaller army across the map. So what I did was move another army next to the smaller one just to observe his behavior. At this point, finally the AI decides to move his stack behind his walls and defend.

Is there any way to change this behavior? His personality was also defensive. This sort of aggressiveness makes zero sense. Its like chess leave a pawn out and he takes the bait and the next move I take his queen, or more to his scenario, checkmate. I was messing with the cai_variables table, but I know little about modding. I tried changing the CAI_VARIABLE_RFB_VHARD_YES_BELOW_RATIO_SETT_RETREAT from .65 to 1.25 just to see what happens, but I do not know what this does, and I am wondering if it actually pertains to retreating after being attacked, not actual campaign decisions.

Any insight on this would be appreciated. I would rather not waste my time digging in the tables if this is something that cannot be fixed.

I really don't understand why we are not further along in PC AI. This sort of scenario seems simple to me. AI should assess enemy stacks in region and if they are too strong, stay behind walls, especially if they have 1 settlement and are on the verge of annihilation. What is so complicated about that?

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Help With AI Campaign Map Decisions

I see multiple mods that want to help with AI aggressiveness. I do not see this as an issue. Is it because I am playing on very hard? What I see consistently is over aggressive. AI is willing to risk destruction or extinction just to hit you one time. Instead of running their last stack out of my territory for survival, they sack an undefended city only to get utterly wiped out next turn.