Thread: Lag

Laetus

Default Lag

Is there ANYTHING that fixes the huuuuuge lag when the big factions are moving, late game? I like to capture a few key positions, then see how long the AI takes to kill me off, but it is really impossible with ETW it seems like. I can win, but only by blitzkrieg, and I want to be able to take it slow. Thanks!

Default Re: Lag

Hey hge, when you say huuuuuuuge lag, are you talking about in battle, or in campaign movement stuff? I'm a bit confused when you say 'Capture a few key positions, and then see how long the AI takes to kill me off', are you talking about in battle stuff (i.e. capturing a 'hill')? Or like capturing things like towns, and waiting for the AI to battle you?

I found huge amounts of lag in big siege battles while in Vanilla mode. If you aren't using Darthmod, I recommend getting that mod installed as it has drastically reduced the amount of lag in big battles, while adding a LOT more soldiers onto the battlefield.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

If you're talking about turn times, larger factions always take longer during the end turn phase as they have more 'moves' to make. I'm afraid that's just a feature of the newer TW games that has to be put up with. Also, selecting 'follow AI movement' in game options makes turns take longer too.

I also get a bit of lag during the end turn, the screen gets slightly stuttery, is that what you're experiencing?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Laetus

@Izsx - Sorry for confusion, was tired when I wrote that. I mean campaign, when I end turn. The AI turn times are crazy for the big factions.
    @Aexodus - Drat.. Medieval 2 is awesome about that, the turn times are very brief for me, even for huge factions.

Blog Entries

If you're having late game 20-30 second end turns, that' she probably not that unusual. I like to set game options to follow ai movement, and get really immersed in the campaign. Make sure the turns a bit more interesting imo.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Laetus

On regular ETW, I am getting 20-30 minute end turns. I did a little test, and took a single save, in which I had already conquered the entire world as America, provoked a region to rebel (Barbary States area) and then handed over all but like 3 territories to them. The next ten turns averaged about 1.5 hours per turn. Does DME actually fix that?

Blog Entries

Oh wow, why didn't you mention that aha. That's bonkers I've never encountered that, and I have an 1840 vanilla America campaign that never got like that.

Apparently the game naturally gets slower if an AI faction gets too big, like Russia or the Marathas because there's so many small armies that need to be dealt with. You're PC CPU could likely be the problem as well. Having an excessive amount of old save games is also supposed to slow it down. I for one never had more than 1-2 save games per campaign. Minimising the window is meant to increase CPU performance and reduce turn times... and yeah idk what else will help ya bud, let us know if you make any progress. Oh and running the game on an SSD of some sort also apparently makes it faster.

I'd reccomend Bran Mac Born's DME edits, they make AI armies stay in one 'army' rather than lots of little ones, which should help reduce turn times too. So download Darthmod, then Bran's submod

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Apparently the game naturally gets slower if an AI faction gets too big, like Russia or the Marathas because there's so many small armies that need to be dealt with. You're PC CPU could likely be the problem as well. Having an excessive amount of old save games is also supposed to slow it down.
    Aexodus is on the money here. A lot of people experience campaign crashes around the Ottomans for instance; all the single soldier armies moving around Constantinople is enough to literally make a campaign unplayable.

Try turning off the AI campaign movements in your game options, or even branching out and grabbing the mod that Aexodus has recommended (as well as Darthmod). I've never used Bran Mac Born's DME edits, but i've heard that it can drastically reduce AI campaign turn time.

Laetus

OK! I have DME, and I love it so far, but I started getting lag around the Spanish and Ottoman turns. TY for the suggestion, I will download that and try it out when I get a little time.