Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: SWO-RD : Steph's Warhammer Overhaul - Recruitment Diversity

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: SWO-RD : Steph's Warhammer Overhaul - Recruitment Diversity

Rules for Dynamic Manpower System

I've started to put together a list explaining how the capacity for each unit is computed by the script.

I'd appreciate feedback: it is too much? Not enougy? What about the balance between different types of units for a race? Balance between race?

I plan to release the update as soon as possible after the next DLC. It will help you understand how the cap is computed.

As this is quite new, I suppose it will need quite a lot of tweaking, so feedback is more than welcome!

And don't forget this is for the moment limited to the 5 races I have redone, so compare to other races which are not capped yet, the game will probably be challenging.

Patrician Artifex

Dynamic manpower system applied to Wood Elves. They have less settlements levels and buildings than others, so can't have such a large army. However, for each settlement and building in Athel Loren, they get a capacity for 3 Realms (so triple capacity). And the Oak of Age also gives large bonus to capacity.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

All the scripts are ready... Just waiting for the DLC so I can port the changes, add Repanse faction + new DE units, Lords and Heroes, and I'll release an new version of the mod.

How's the progress? I really like the idea of having local "heraldic" versions of empire state soldiers.

Patrician Artifex

I'm finishing the last few icons for the Dark Elves (Medusa and Scourgerunner chariots) for the coming update.

Patrician Artifex

Some progress report
    - All icons finished
    - Buildings and units allowed updated, as well as the script to hide the icons if not available in this region
    - New units added to the script for army capacity. And now, the capacity depends on your lord ranks. High level lords can have more special and rare units!
    - I've added new bonus for elector count: leadership bonus for the units from their own province, when figthing in own or allied territory, + upkeep reduction.

What's left to do:
    - Add the new Dark Elves and Chevaliers de Lyonesse units to the Dynamic Manpower System
    - Add Black Arks units global capacity.
    - A bit of startpos editing for Bretonnia additional factions.

I hope I can finish all before end of week.

And go to the Dark Elves thread for some new screenshots!

Patrician Artifex

The update of the mod has been released!

However, it doesn't include the map changes I wanted to do for Bretonnia. Minor dukedom units are available in the regions (for Aquitaine, Gisoreux, etc) but I didn't add new minor factions, and I didn't promote minor regions to full provinces.
    It seems some of this is hard coded: I could make Aquitaine a full province, but not Moussillon...

Maybe I'll update this part later if I figure out why it doesn't work.

Patrician Artifex

I have started work on the Dwarves.

See the dedicated thread for more

Patrician Artifex

Status report:
    - all the icons are done
    - script for Dynamic Manpower System set up for Dwarves!

Left to do:
    - Officers
    - A small siege tweak (adjust some parameters)
    - And a climate overhaul

Patrician Artifex

Dwarves are ready. Texrtures done, icons done, officers done, scripts for regional recruitment and dynamic manpower done.

For the next update of the mod, I plan to include a climate overhaul with the dwarves.

For this, I'd like to get some feedback about some points.

First of all, the list of climates, and possible new climates in different regions of the world.

Let's start by listing the cliamtes form the vanilla game, and comment them.

Ocean
    The oceans of the world harbour many great wrecks and treasures, as only the best seafaring races can truly master its currents and tides.

This is used only for Galleon's Graveyard. Not much to day about it.

Wasteland
    Scorched or scoured - nothing grows here and only a few races could survive in this region, let alone thrive.
    This include skavenblight, hellpit, the badlands, and nagarythe islands.
    All grouped together. But I don't see why orcs, skaven or Alith Anar should like the same place.

So I propose to split this into 3:
    - Skaven waste
    - Badlands
    - Wastelands

Desert
    The sun burns and very little grows here, yet the shifting sands of this region hide more than mere dunes - certain races have proven tenacious in this climate.
    Mostly in the Southlands
    What I don't like here is that it's a suitable place for too many race. Bretonia and Empire like it, because of Crusading states and Sudenburg...
    First, I propose to split in "Desert coast", and "Desert hinterland". This is done in most climate mods.
    Second, I can have a difference between Crusading Factions and other Bretonian factions.

Jungle
    Dense jungle is hot and humid, and often home to creatures and plants that consider potential empire-builders to be prey.
    Most of Lustria is like that, as well a east coast of southlands and Dragon Isles.
    Here, same as for desert, I plan to split in two: "Jungle Coast", where several factions settle, and "Deep jungle", more or less limited to Lizardmen.

For there, I have a first question. Should the Vampire Coast have its own climate? Like "Swamp", Or should it be the same as the rest of the jungle areas?

Island
    Climate on the isles in this region is changeable. However, the trees grow tall and strong, the hunting is good, and crops can be grown by competent farmers.
    This is actually for Ulthuan (+Chupayotl and Star Tower). I may split that in two "Ulthuan" and "Tropical Island".

And question 2 : I'm considering making the gate province their own climate "Annulli mountain pass". I don't think they should have the same climate/bonuses as the rest of Ulthuan. Good idea?

Temperate
    The terrain of this region consists of lush grasslands and sprawling forests, with food and resources in abundance.
    This is for Bretonia, Empire, Sylvania, Kislev, Estalia, Tilea and Border Princes. All considered the same.

So I'm considering splitting that in several:
    - Taiga for Kislev, colder climate. For me it's mostly flat terrain, snow, and snow covered pine trees.
    - Southern Temperate: for Estalia, Tilea and Border Princes. Which are actually almost all coastal regions, so no need to differentiate them. I see them as gentle hill + deciduous trees mostly.
    - Northern temperate, for Empire. With a subdivision : coastal / hinterland. For me it's mostly forested area, mostly pine trees.
    - Temperate, for Bretonnia. With a subdivision : coastal / hinterland. Mostly grassland, with some forested area, mix of pine and deciduous trees.

Question 3 : should their be a "grassland" climate for Averland / Solland, maybe Wissenland? It seems less forested than the rest of the Empire.

Question 4 : I'm considering making the fortprovince their own climate "Mountain pass". I don't think they should have the same climate/bonuses as the rest. Good idea?

Question 5 : should Sylvania be treated as the other Northern Temperate? I'm considering adding a "Dark forest" or something like this for these regions, with bonus for VC and penalties for others.

Savannah
    Scattered tree growth is broken by course grasslands and watering holes. Here, the climate is hot and the bugs grow large.
    Can be found in the isthmus of Lustria, and Gnoblar countries.
    I think they are fine as they are.

Chaotic Wasteland
    Nature’s rules do not apply in regions under the influence of the Ruinous Powers. Only the followers of the Dark Gods could hope to remain here, and even they do so at great personal risk.
    Use in Norcsa, and North of Naggaroth.

I may just change the name and and icons.

Question 6: should Norsca, with fjord/jagged rocks, bt its own climate, separate from Nothern Naggaroth?

Mountain
    The snow-capped peaks of this world scrape the sky. Mountainous regions are hazardous, although those races that inhabit them rarely live on the surface.
    They are found in well, mountains... but they are all the same.

I'm considering splitting that in several
    - Desert mountains, west of Araby
    - Jungle mountains, Southlands
    - Wolrd Edge mouintains, split in two North (with snow) and South (without)
    - Naggaroth mountain
    - "regular" mountain : all the others.

Magical Forest
    Steeped in magic, just who is allowed to remain in the forests' interior is the will of the trees themselves and their spirit allies.
    Athel Loren, Laurelorn, Gaen Vale and Heart of the Jungle/

Question 7: I'm considering making Athel Loren is own climate. Kind of "Wilder" than the other regions (ie more hostile for non WE). Because Athel Loren could be somewhat hostile to HE, but Gaen Vale shouldn't be hostile to HE.

Frozen
    Eternal winter blights this region. Lakes of ice, fierce shard storms and snow-covered fjords scatter the environment. It takes a determined kind of people to eke out a life here.
    This is for a a few regions between Kislev and Norsca, for Albion, and for almost all of Naggaroth.
    And probably the one I dislike the most.
    I'm ok with Chill Road being Frozen, but why Ssildra Tor, just next to Hexoatl jungle, should be Frozen?

So I'd like to split in at least two:
    - "Frozen" between Norsca and Kislev, +Iron Mountain, Chill Road, Road of Skulls, Deadwood
    - "Something else" for Titan Peaks, Black Coast, Obsidian Peaks, Briken Lands.

I don't want to make it the same climate as Kislev. I see Kislev more with Pine Trees, and this part of Naggaroth more with barren trees.

Question 8: suggest a name for "Something else"
    Question 9: what Albion? Frozen of "soemthing else"
    Question 10: Hag Graef area: Frozen of "soemthing else"?

Beside these general climates, I have seen some mods introduce a few specific climate, that could give different bonus to differente race:

- Extensive Dwarves holds, for the most important dwarven regions (Karak Norn, Karak Izor, Karak Hirn, Zufhbar, Karaz-a-Karak, Karak-Kadrin, Ekrund, Black Crag, Karak EIght Peaks; Karak Azul, Karak Zorn, Mount Gunbad, Krak Ungor, Karak Drak...).
    - Imperial cities, (Altdorf, Middenheim, Nuln, Talabheim, Averheim and Marienburg).
    - Temple cities (Hexoatl, Tlaxtlan, Xlanluhapec, Itza)

Question 11: are these special place a good idea?
    Question 12: should it be expended for the 6 major DE cities?

Any other comment or suggestion?

Patrician Artifex

These are all the climates I will add to the game, with their icon and a short description of suitability for races.

Bog
    This is found in Albion, very wet climate. Lizardmen likes it, the others not so much.

Desolate
    Near Naggashizar, and west of Naggaroth. Unhabitable for all but Undead.

Badlands
    In the Badlands, suitable for Orcs.

Ulthuan
    For Ulthuan, except Nagarythe and the fortress gate. High Elves will be very angry of other races settle here.

Annulli mountain passes
    The fortress gates of Ulthuan. Suitable for elves, doesn't allow much growth, slow movement, and High Elves strongly dislike other races there.

Wasteland
    Lands north of Ulthuan, mostly unhabitable after the Sundering, except for a few factions lile Alith Anar. Dark Elves or High Elves will dislike any other race trying to settle there.

Imperial major cities
    The main cities of the Empire. Empire will be very angry if other races settle there.

Forested Coast
    The coast of the Empire. Suitable for humans. Empire won't be happy if other races settle there. Good target for Norsca.

Temperate hinterland
    Found in the south of the Empire, suitable for humans. Empire won't be happy if other races settle there.

Mountain passes
    South of the Empire. Not much growth here, and slow movement. Empire don't like other races here.

Dark forst
    In Sylvania. Mostly for Vampires.

Temperate coast
    Coastal Bretonnian regions. Suitable for humans. Bretonnia won't be happy if other races settle there.

Temperate inland
    Non Coastal Bretonnian regions. Suitable for humans. Bretonnia won't be happy if other races settle there.

Mixed Forest
    Found in Bretonnia (Forest of Arden). Suitable for humans. Bretonnia won't be happy if other races settle there.

Temperate
    In Estalia, Tilea and Border Princes. Suitable for humans.

Deep Forest
    Athel Loren, Heart of the Jungle and Laurelorn. Suitable for Wood Elves, they don't like other races here.

Frozen
    North of Naggaroth. Suitable mostly to Dark Elves, who will dislike any other race going there.

Druchii cities
    One of the six main cities for the Dark Elves. They will be very angry if other races settle there.

Barren
    South of Naggaroth, not as harsh than the frozen North, but mostly suitable to Dark Elves. They dislike other races going there.

Naggaroth Mountain
    North West of Naggaroth, hard place where only Dark Elves settle.

Savannah
    Found in Isthmus of Lustria, and south of the Darklands. Suitable for Lizardmen, and also Greenskins. Humans can also settle thre.

Temple cities
    Main cities for the Lizardmen. They will be very angry if other races settle there.

Coastal jungle
    Coast of Lustria / Southlands. Home of Lizardmen, other races can settle on the coast, but Lizardmen will dislike them.

Jungle
    Lustria hinterland. Suitable for Lizardmen, they will dislike other races going there.

Swamp
    The Vampire Coast. Lizardmen or Vampire can live there.

Jungle Moutain
    In Lustria. Dwarves or Lizardmen can live there.

Dwarden hold
    The main dwarves hold in the mountain. Suitable for Dwarves, Greenskin or Skaven, but Dwarves will be very angry if other races settle there.

Snowy moutain
    Northern Edge of the World mountain. Suitable for Dwarves or Greenskin mostly.

Mountain
    Mostly mountain west of the Old world. Suitable for Dwarves or Greenskin mostly.

Desert Mountain
    In Southlands. Suitable for Dwarves, Greenskin mistly.

Coastal Desert
    The coast of Araby. Land of Tomb King, human can also settle here.

Desert
    Araby, non coastal. Only for Tomb Kings.

Steppe
    Kislev area. Lostly suitable for Kislev...

Frozen
    Area between Norsca and Kislev, unsuitable for most.

Norscs
    Rocks and Ices, with some coastal fjord suitable for Norsca

Chaos Waste
    At the very North of ther World. Except Norsca and Chaos, no one settles there.

Ocean
    Only for Vampire Coast.

Chasm
    For Skavenblight and Hellpit, only suitable for Skaven.
    Last edited by Steph; February 29, 2020 at 02:55 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Here are two maps of the world with the climate (colored regions + icons).
    Warning, they are big files!

Mortal Empire map

Vortex map

Patrician Artifex

Suitability chart

This chart shows the suitability of the different climates for each culture/faction.

I've kept the 3 colours : Green = suitable, Orange = unsuitable, Red = uninhabitable.
    However, I want to have more flexibility than just these 3 levels, so I've given a suitability score from 1 to 9
    9 = Perfect, will give no penatly, and even some bonusd
    8 = Very good : only small penalties, and not always
    7 = Good: some penalties
    4 to 6 : unsuitable, with more penalties. Still possible to settle here, but growth will be slower, and cost higher.
    1 to 3 : larger penalties. At 1, the region will be virtually useless.

Please comment the suitability chart, I'm interested by feedback. I will detail the exact effects later.

Patrician Artifex

I have just published an update on the mod on Steam, with the Dwarves and the climate overhaul

Patrician Artifex

Preview of the icons for the full roster (Hexoatl). See the faction information thread for more details

Regiments of Reknown

Blessed units

Monsters (shared by all factions)

Hexoatl colours (generic / heraldic units)

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

I really like the aesthetic, nice work!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Patrician Artifex

I have a question about raise dead mechanism from a gameplay / lore perspective. I know the forum for Warhammer is not very active here, but the quality of the answers is usually much better than at the official forum

Just for the context, in SWO-RD, my mod, I will soon start working on the Vampire Counts.

And their units can be recruited in 3 different ways:
    - Via recruitment building, in a "core" undead region such as Sylvania : type 1
    - Via recruitment building, in any region : type 2
    - Via the campaign raise dead mechanism : type 3.

Type 1 units will be stronger than type 2 (more skeletons per units, higher attack/Defense or leadership). And despite being weaker, type 2 are most costly. The goal is to give more importance to core regions than others.

Now, the question is : how should type 3 units be compared to the other 2?

Should unit raised with the campaign "raise dead" mechanism be stronger/weaker than the units recruited via a building?
    Should they have a different cost./ upkeep?

Patrician Artifex

Lizardmen updated available on Steam!!

Patrician Artifex

Patrician Artifex

With the recent DLC, and more work done on other factions, I think it is time to pause a little, and maybe rethink some of the changes in the mod.
    I'm considering coming back on some of them.

- Elite units for HE, WE, and Dwarves. Such as the Sentinel spearmen. They are basically units with twice less men in them, but better stats, and double HP / men. So globallly same HP as a whole. Are they worth keeping? Or just cluttering the recruitment pannel? Maybe I can remove them, and use their graphics for the officer and his 3 bodyguards. They may upset the balance a bit too much, and they are only for 3 races. I don't plan to do the equivalent for other races. So this may just make HE, WE and Dwarves too complex compared others. And I'm not sure Lorewise it was such a great idea to make a full unit of them. Maybe I can just give better stats to only the bodyguard sentinel, so they are more likely to stay in the fight.

- HE swordsmen: now that CA made the Rangers, maybe I can remove them, I'm not sure they actually have much interest. I"ll probably also remove sepcial munitions for most HE archers (they could choose several, like fire arrow/normal arrow). Since this would reduce the interest of some Mistwalkers for exemple.

- For HE I think I willl however keep the generic version of the White Lions, Phoenix Guards, Swordmasters... so they could be recruited in any region, including outside of Ulthuan. And keep the fact some units can only be recruited full strenght in a specific region, and in small number.
    - White Lions Warrios, White Lions Chariots, and Griffin Riders: only in Chrace
    - Tiranoc Chariot and Ithilmar Chartios: only in Tiranoc
    - Dragon Princes and full strenght dragons: only in Caledor
    - Swordmasters of Hoeth, arcane phoenix : only in Saphery
    - Lothern Sea Guards, Phoenix Guards and full strenght phoenix : only in Eataine
    - Sisters of Avelorn (+ Unicorn riders and Pegasus Riders) only in Avelorn
    - Shadow Warrios : only in Nagarythe
    - Mistwalkers : only in Yvresse
    - For Cothique, I'll keep my special Sea Guards.

As for the new units
    - Rangers, Silverine Guards and White Lions pack will be recruitable in any region of Ulthuan, but not outside of Ulthuan.

The other races, such as Bretonnia, the Empire, DE, and Lizardmen, will not be impacted much by thess changes.

What do you think of this?

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

That seems pretty sensible to me. While I love diversity, too much just makes for clutter.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman