Thread: Protectorates

Default Protectorates

Hey guys;

So i've been playing Empire heavily now for almost a month with Darthmod. Currently playing as Prussia in GC on VH/VH, and just hoping someone can shed some light on the whole ‘protectorates’ and how they work.

I’ve been trying to bring in Hannover as a protectorate all game. They are allies with me, +300 in diplomacy. Without a doubt, I am easily the strongest military power in Europe. Recently, they somehow managed to take Denmark (a region I need to win the game), yet I don’t want to brutally turn on that alliance and mess them up.

I’ve tried everything to bring them under my control, yet every single offer is refused. I even saved my game, and offered them all regions I had (from Poland to Austria), 40,000 gold, all technologies available, and again, just a flat out no.

How does one go about bringing in a minor nation as a protectorate? Do they also count towards the end regions you need to hold? And is there more of a benefit to having them as a protectorate as opposed to conquering them completely?

Cheers in advance guys!

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Protectorates

I was able to get Hannover my protectorate rather early on but I may have been playing only on hard mode. Perhaps they didn't feel as threatened by me as most of my expansion had been to the South and East at the time, iirc
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I was able to get Hannover my protectorate rather early on but I may have been playing only on hard mode. Perhaps they didn't feel as threatened by me as most of my expansion had been to the South and East at the time, iirc
    Thanks for the response Aexodus! I swear that logically, the more threatened by you a nation is, the easier it would be to bring them under as a protectorate as a deterrent to being wiped out.

I was playing for a bit last night, and again, just to test some things I ended up taking most of Sweden. So now I tried offering Hannover almost 12 regions (all of Sweden, Austria and Poland), 35,000 gold, and i'm still getting refused to being a protectorate. This makes no sense; even if half there gold is going to me, wouldn't the addition of 12 regions offset this?

Diplomacy does seem to be a bit screwy when it comes to Empire Total War. Sometimes, it works; other times, you can give everything, pretty much everything in your empire and they will still refuse.

I’ve always found you have to pound another country into submission to get them to be your protectorate. To the point where they’re so weak you might as well just wipe them out. The only reason not to destroy them would be to have a buffer between you and a stronger enemy. But even that would only be a short term benefit as after a few turns you’ll be strong enough to tackle the stronger enemy.

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

The only luck I've had in the past with getting protectorates is destroying their army in the field and then besieging their last city, then they sometimes accept becoming your protectorate. Diplomacy definitely isn't Empire's strong suit.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    C.S. Lewis

you need to pay them in excess of 200k

As Bavaria i managed to besiege Brandenburg as last Prussian settlement with a general inside with only 4 units left. I hav 2 full stacks arround and also offerd 250K but they still refuse to become protectorate. I guess it also has to do with ur own prestige rank and ur overall army strenght. In another game years ago i managed to protectorate whole germany as bavaria so its possible. If anyone can post more info about to create protectorates or a mod/tables path to change it by myself, i rly would appreciate it. Meanwhile i will continue the siege till they accept, i can do it with only 1 unit anyway lol.