Thread: Maintaining PO with Barbarian Faction

Default Maintaining PO with Barbarian Faction

Playing as the Scordisci about ~55 turns deep, have a total of 4 settlements I control across 2 provinces, I don't control any province entirely yet. Currently not at war, which I believe has a negative effect on PO for Barbarian factions if I'm not mistaken?

The main issue I am having is that my settlements are constantly fluctuating from +1 or +2 PO to -5 to -15 PO, mainly due to 'Slaves', which I don't know how to counteract, and also cultural difference between Thracians and Celtics, which I understand takes time to adjust and certain buildings, etc. Especially during the winter season, when PO falls the most, these 2 provinces are not able to make their way to a positive PO, and I'm having to lower/exempt taxes on a turn-by-turn basis to prevent revolts, and as a result I cannot grow my forces to expand and maintain my beloved warlike nature

I'm doing the most I can (I think) to improve PO, which includes, 2 druids in one province deployed to improve PO, and two armies in patrol stance, while the other province has 1 army in patrol stance, with a single-unit general in a province because he has the province-managing skill set, which is the only thing that's made a real difference in the PO there.

I am at 4/4 armies, and they are all patrolling/managing my existing territories, so I cannot spare forces to attack other provinces that are well guarded, lest I let a revolt ruin my home turf.

Suggestions? Tips?

Default Re: Maintaining PO with Barbarian Faction

Did you build temples in each province? Did you deploy your diplomats? You should also consolidate the armies into 1-2 stacks and put the remaining 2-3 generals ALONE in one of your towns (1 per town).

Between diplomats, governors (generals alone in town) and temples you should not have issues maintaining positive PO, but it could take a few turns for your culture to go up enough to reach breakeven PO

Also, complete the conquest of your provinces asap, even at the cost of backstabbing allies. The only way to keep a province safe, happy and profitable long term is to own it all and plan the buildings taking all the slots into account. Thanks CA for the dumb province system that forces us to behave illogically and ahistorically to fulfill the arbitrary gaming borders requirements you designed!
    Last edited by PietrolEremita; February 26, 2018 at 01:00 PM.

I did not do temples, so I'll convert some buildings that already exist instead of waiting for new building plots.

I'll also consolidate my armies as you suggested, that should also help me to focus my forces on an expansion to secure an entire province as you mentioned!

Will let you know how that goes when I've got time to get back on.

Also, are diplomats same as druids for this faction? I assume they are, as I have spies, champions, and then druids as the third available agent deployed to increase PO and also tax efficiency.

Yes, for barbarians druids are "diplomats"

Good luck and keep us posted! The Scordisci are great fun

Quote Originally Posted by Bona221 View Post
    mainly due to 'Slaves', which I don't know how to counteract
    The slave population in your provinces will slowly decrease over time unless you take more slaves when you win battles (or loot a city). Once you own a province entirely, you can use the "sell slaves" edict to quickly lower the slave population in a province.

Temples are a must to increase population conversion but if you want a more gamey way you might also consider provoking a rebellion by raiding your own territory as there is a positive bonus to PO that last quite awhile. I wouldn't worry about PO that much though- it definitely is not worth keeping more than 1 army on patrol as that taxes supplies and raises costs while also the opportunity cost of not using those armies is pretty high considering each armies base cost is likely a few thousands.

Slaves come and go so if you have alot that raises economic output and is usually a good thing. The main reason PO will remain negative is cultural clashes and squalor. Squalor can be dealt with by buildings and it is even possible to go slightly negative and every 20 or so turns put an agent or army into the province but you really want to convert the population as not only is that affecting PO but also supplying your armies with recruits and replacements. Getting 2-3 provinces with majority your culture is key to military power in DeI along with economy.

Thanks for the great info y'all, should have a chance to hop on and get to work on this tonight. Will put up some screens of before/after to show progress!