Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So after warhammer 3

Default So after warhammer 3

how awesome would it be if they continue with the license and just gp straight to warhammer 40,000. Would be their first sci fi game as well.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: So after warhammer 3

Nah, GW is selling quite limited licences. CA definitely has no rights for 40K as of *now*, probably not even Age of Sigmar (gladly!)

Plus 40k is quite far from any current TW formula. Campaign map would need to feature space and multiple planets, star systems (because you want all the races..not just campaign at one planet..) So the movement between system/regions would be quite different (unless you want inta transport space fleets..). Ground combat would also be quite different. All TWs so far are about formations. 40K is like WW1/WW2 on steroids. Highly mobile, trying to get localized superiority to break through, destroy objectives. With a lot off screen things like orbital bombardment, long range ala FotS artillery, planes...Battles are no longer a few day actions with such well defined space/date. Look at Battle at Somme, Verdun, Battle at Kursk....multistage operation in much bigger campaign scale...My personal opinion is, 40k is much more suitable for squad base game with RPG elements. Like Dawn of War2... Look what problems are here with Siege battles. Imagine an average Space Marine operation where they try to destroy,retake, ship,manufacture,hive city....it is not like two armies can meet at open field because all (or at least one) side(s) are possessing enough firepower to nuke them into ground....

If they ever do WW1 then may be But I would bet Warcraft, GoT, Tolkien as more likely adaptations for TW anytime...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

40k wouldn't work. I just can't see formations of 40k troops ever working and even if they based it on Epic... static formations of troops is one thing but when moving, it would look weird.

If the Warhammer 3 manages to cover enough of the east, then I honestly don't know what would be left for them to do with the license. We'd essentially have the best representation of the Warhammer fantasy universe to date.
    Honestly, Age of Sigmar seems like the only option that wouldn't just be the exact same content rehashed. I'm actually currently reading The Legend of Sigmar and beyond having smaller, bronze/iron age human tribes... I don't see what else would be different. And I don't know enough about the Age of Sigmar tabletop to comment on it.

With Rome 2 and new DLCs...well sky is the limit. I can imagine Naval Expansion, some famous campaigns settings..

AoE has similar problem as many other new universes. You simply cannot build lore and everything in short time. It needs time even multiple editions, iterations...

Plus they usually try to reinvent the wheel. You cannot call Dwarfs,Elves as they were call...you need new name, tweak everything just to feel fresh and brand new to be different form others. So instead of focusing on better story,characters, they are spending energy on reestableshing old stuff....This is actually one reason why i love Warhammer Fantasy. Books were not trying to reinvent everything, they were just expanding...

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    If they ever do WW1 then may be But I would bet Warcraft, GoT, Tolkien as more likely adaptations for TW anytime...
    Warcraft and Tolkien strategy games would be made by Activision Blizzard and Warner Brothers, they would never contract that out to a company owned by Sega.

GoT might be possible but it would be pretty similar to historical stuff gameplay wise.

If they want to make another fantasy trilogy I'd like to see one based on The Forgotten Realms, Dungeons and Dragons. Two games focusing on the surface and one focusing on the Underdark.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Focus on a Historical title I say....Empire II would do it for me,Warhammer and the like, have left TWC a wilderness, bereft of any soul or passion of its former titles! Whatever next? Warhammer 4 in space, with a fairy faction and spells such as bippity boppity boo?
    Last edited by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham; February 25, 2018 at 10:05 AM.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Warcraft and Tolkien strategy games would be made by Activision Blizzard and Warner Brothers, they would never contract that out to a company owned by Sega.

GoT might be possible but it would be pretty similar to historical stuff gameplay wise.

If they want to make another fantasy trilogy I'd like to see one based on The Forgotten Realms, Dungeons and Dragons. Two games focusing on the surface and one focusing on the Underdark.
    You are probably right. Only these companies probably won“t ever try ala TW game. Warcraft = RTS. But then if Blizzard is not planning to do Warcraft now...it could be nice move to allow CA to try it. To keep the lore, setting in general consciousness. There is enough lore from Warcraft 1-2-3 for at least one game. And CA showed with Warhammer what they can do!

Aye, completely agree Got .GoT is popular setting now but in gameplay terms it is not so much different from Attila ..Majority of human factions is very much same. May be just Dothraki feels different. Almost no magic, no spellcasters, low number of monster, dragons...one undead faction with 2-3 of units....

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

They've said that a "third" title isn't out of the question, so after Three Kingdoms we could get Medieval 3, Empire 3 (since Napoleon was pretty much Empire 2) or Shogun 3. Doubt they're gonna do Rome 3 so soon.

♔Old Dragoon♔'s Avatar I'm Your Huckleberry
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    Focus on a Historical title I say....Empire II would do it for me,Warhammer and the like, have left TWC a wilderness, bereft of any soul or passion of its former titles! Whatever next? Warhammer 4 in space, with a fairy faction and spells such as bippity boppity boo?
    Yes with fairy lords and all...watch where one steps, don't mind the troll droppings and all that!

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Empire 3 (since Napoleon was pretty much Empire 2)
    I disagree. Empire was version 0.1, and Napoleon version 1.0

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by yutterh View Post
    how awesome would it be if they continue with the license and just gp straight to warhammer 40,000. Would be their first sci fi game as well.
    Nah they should double down on history titles. They have a corner on the market there.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 09, 2018 at 07:50 AM.

Empire 2 baby! My body is ready!

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxe View Post
    Empire 2 baby! My body is ready!
    I like the cut of your gib sir!

I'd like a naval expansion to the Warhammer Trilogy (assuming naval engagements won't be in WH3) Historically, besides 3K I'm torn between medieval 3, a pike and shot game, or victoria total war.

Think about it. Victoria Total War would have the Meji Restoration, the italian unification, and the american civil war all inside of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron122 View Post
    Think about it. Victoria Total War would have the Meji Restoration, the italian unification, and the american civil war all inside of it!
    I am dreaming about it...

Im still dreaming about a Wars of the Roses saga game. Like Thrones but set 700 years later. As for the main historical title i wish they could just skip the china stuff and go to a more serious era.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Medieval 3.

And this time I want to be able to go through a convoluted line of succession and assassinations to take over another kingdom's lands and territories.
    With lots of incest to make Crusader Kings proud.

I doubt CA has any interest in doing a WH40K game, as they would need to almost entirely revamp their game engine. From what I know it is a squad-based game, not generally one with very large units (correct me if I'm wrong there).

I suspect that even if they did want to use that IP, GW would not give them the license, as it has already been used by Relic and other studios in various forms for some years now. Relic in now on Dawn of War III, which wasn't vry well received. I just don't see it realistically being a very profitable enterprise given how many games are already out there which use that IP.

I long for the remake, reboot of Empire Total War, I know people say that Napoleon was Empire 2, but I disagree, perhaps an Empire 2 could encompass the Napoleonic period including up to the Victorian era, with added DLC.
    Pike and sword warfare isnt really my cup of tea, much less "fantasy and magic".
    Give me musket and cannon any day.... and units that have some sort of coherence.

Looks like this year we will get 3K, next year WH3, so 2020 next? Empire 2/Victoria would be really great. With 3K/ToB that“s enough pointy stuff...we need some gunpowder!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast