Thread: Maybe I should start making peasants...

Default Maybe I should start making peasants...

First off, thanks for an outstanding mod!

Here's my question/observation, wasn't sure if this was a feature or bug...

Playing as England, I had some mounted knights, sitting idly, waiting for a chance to join a battle with france.

I notice a group of French Town Watch decide to charge my knights.

I decided to pay attention to something else more urgent thinking the knights would surely be fine against some locals armed with pitchforks and what-not.

Next thing I notice, my boys are almost all dead and the townies are moving on to the next target. I mean they slaughtered them in very short time. Head-on. Not even flanked or rear attack.

Normal?

I never build units in cities, so I just assumed town/city units were weak compared to what I could get from my castles.

Any info is appreciated!

-m
    Last edited by miserable09; January 10, 2007 at 11:47 AM.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Maybe I should start making peasants...

I never build units in cities, or castles, so I just assumed town/city units were weak compared to what I could get from my castles.
    Town Watch are spearmen, who are good against cav and it doesn't matter if they are a city or cav unit. If they charged your units they would have got a charge bonus, and cav are vulnerable in melee if they aren't moving.

So basically what happended is what i would have expected to happen.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Good to know, thanks for the info! Seems it is worth it then to train a few troops in town to protect my own cities then too. I was always just doing all my recruiting in castles and transferring them to towns.

Quote Originally Posted by miserable09 View Post
    Good to know, thanks for the info! Seems it is worth it then to train a few troops in town to protect my own cities then too. I was always just doing all my recruiting in castles and transferring them to towns.
    That's a pretty bad idea in itself, really. By doing that, you also don't get the free upkeep that you would get when you use city-trained units.

I suggest training enough city militia to fill up your free upkeep slots, then keep a good network of spies/watchtowers so that you can see any enemies coming, that way you have time to beef up your defenses before they get there.

"I am what the Gods have made me!"

Seriously, should definitely be building units in cities for city garrison duty. You only get the benefit of free upkeep with units that the city they are garrisoned in can actually build. This means that all your cities will need to be building barracks. I'll usually have only a couple of cities build smiths, build the militia there, and shuffle them around to other cities. Since you'll want to keep all your cities fully garrisoned (to max # of free upkeep units), if only for the benefit to order (which allows higher tax levels), taking full advantage of the free upkeep for militia can have a big impact on your economy. If you're garrisoning your cities with castle built units, you're probably spending a few k florins per turn on upkeep that you don't have to.