Thread: Rant: useless YouTubers

Default Rant: useless YouTubers

Warning: I am an old fart and I rarely if ever use YouTube

With the many changes that 1.2.2 and patch 18 brought I have been trying to find some video guide or instructive let's play... What a disappointment

All the videos from the last 4 months I could get my hands on are let's play videos where the author just clicks around showing little if any understanding of the mechanics of the game and the mod... I mean... Dude... Why would I want to watch someone else just clicking around doing stupid, sub-optimal stuff, clearly admitting you don't know how things work? I mean, I can do that myself, thank you very much.

/End rant

Any recommendations on insightful YouTubers with deep understanding of the mechanics?

Note: this does not apply to Dresden's short guides, those are fantastic, but I was looking for something more in depth

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Rant: useless YouTubers

Honestly, you're better off reading the stickied threads at the top of the forum. Practically all the useful info that Ive gathered for this mod had been in print (in a manner of speaking).

Quote Originally Posted by PietrolEremita View Post
    Warning: I am an old fart and I rarely if ever use YouTube

With the many changes that 1.2.2 and patch 18 brought I have been trying to find some video guide or instructive let's play... What a disappointment

All the videos from the last 4 months I could get my hands on are let's play videos where the author just clicks around showing little if any understanding of the mechanics of the game and the mod... I mean... Dude... Why would I want to watch someone else just clicking around doing stupid, sub-optimal stuff, clearly admitting you don't know how things work? I mean, I can do that myself, thank you very much.

/End rant

Any recommendations on insightful YouTubers with deep understanding of the mechanics?

Note: this does not apply to Dresden's short guides, those are fantastic, but I was looking for something more in depth

For the latest versions of DeI? Unfortunately no...

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    Honestly, you're better off reading the stickied threads at the top of the forum. Practically all the useful info that Ive gathered for this mod had been in print (in a manner of speaking).
    I read them all. In fact I read every single thread in the forum up to page 4. I was looking for more

Moar!!!!

I mean, are there any particular topics that you're interested in learning about ? DeI can be overwhelming for new players and is quite different from vanilla, but the info from the team and community is pretty robust and detailed, at least in my estimation.

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by PietrolEremita View Post
    but I was looking for something more in depth
    From one old fart to another, I know what you mean about watching these people on you tube. Absolutely NON- informative.

Remember though, we're old and our minds can't keep up with the click fests. I do think that we can help each other.

I love DEI, although I'm not an expert at it's mechanics, I understand what the mod offers a player.

Maybe we can serve a purpose for each other. I have been searching for a head to head mp campaign opponent for a long time. It's really boring playing an ai that does the same thing every time.

If your interested we can start up a mp campaign, and learn more about this great mod together{I'm married btw, I'm not hitting on you! }. I'm sure your old enough to know the best way to understand something better is to dive right in and get your hands dirty. Plus, I have no problem if we were to play for an hour or so and only get 1 turn in, I don't mind taking my time.

My steam name is same as here. ztrain909

If your not interested I understand and wish you luck in your search for a you tuber who doesn't talk and click so damn fast.

p.s. I pretty much only get 1 day to play, Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by ztrain909 View Post
    From one old fart to another, I know what you mean about watching these people on you tube. Absolutely NON- informative.

Remember though, we're old and our minds can't keep up with the click fests. I do think that we can help each other.

I love DEI, although I'm not an expert at it's mechanics, I understand what the mod offers a player.

Maybe we can serve a purpose for each other. I have been searching for a head to head mp campaign opponent for a long time. It's really boring playing an ai that does the same thing every time.

If your interested we can start up a mp campaign, and learn more about this great mod together{I'm married btw, I'm not hitting on you! }. I'm sure your old enough to know the best way to understand something better is to dive right in and get your hands dirty. Plus, I have no problem if we were to play for an hour or so and only get 1 turn in, I don't mind taking my time.

If your not interested I understand and wish you luck in your search for a you tuber who doesn't talk and click so damn fast.

And that's how i met your mother

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

That's 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ztrain909 View Post

Thanks man. Married, 2 kids here. If you were hitting on me, I would question your taste, tbh.

I only get 3-4h in a week, usually between Saturday and Sunday. I am obsessed by understanding the mechanics though (I run spreadsheets to reverse engineer province income for example).

I would tell you my steam handle but I don't remember it. I will find you before the weekend.

That reminds me... I never played multiplayer, I am not even sure how that works... Do you have to be logged in at the same time? I also think I remember that you need a multiplayer submod to avoid the reforms being broken... Not sure how to go about it
    Last edited by PietrolEremita; February 21, 2018 at 11:36 AM.

Moar!!!!

I mean, are there any particular topics that you're interested in learning about ? DeI can be overwhelming for new players and is quite different from vanilla, but the info from the team and community is pretty robust and detailed, at least in my estimation.
    As I mentioned, I think I have the basics or even most of the advanced mechanics down, but I need moar data!

A couple of things that I have been trying to figure out:
    -banditry: less than 30 shows just 1% occurrence but my testing seem to indicate that the probability is more like 10% at least after a certain imperium level (even if banditry is kept below 30 by buildings). Is the number shown in the tooltip correct?
    - party power (from gravitas) what are the boni/penalties as your power goes up? Do you get different ones if you change government? Does it change if you have 2vs4 rival parties?

Ah, thanks for the specifics.

A team member would need to answer these things (or an insane patch 18 data junkie) as they are aspects of the power & politics update. Wouldn't be surprised if the DeI adapted version of these mechanics are still a WIP, but that's just me.

Frankly, I wouldn't blame a Youtuber for not covering this kind of stuff. It's not exactly the most exciting

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I mean DEI is like playing a Paradox game. It's a very complex mod and takes a lot of time to get used tbh, it's slower than RII which has a very fast campaign gameplay style.

Exactly! I would be totally into a YouTube channel that spent all it's time on game files and spreadsheets, firing up the game only to test hypotheses.

I have at least as much fun playing as I have building spreadsheets to figure out how to maximize income from a province.... But that's probably just me....