Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Desert Kingdoms DLC

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Desert Kingdoms DLC

Quote Originally Posted by Geffalrus View Post
    Seriously, would it kill CA to implement a family tree system? In Warhammer it makes sense because you're not really building a long term dynasty. But it's pure insanity not to include that in a historical title. And now that they've shown their revisiting content for Rome 2................just, why not include it? Did anyone ask for Bandits to be included? The decision making process (even from a monetary standpoint) is downright bizarre at CA.
    Yeah like the care.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    My main isse with it is that resources were spent by CA to develop things that will have small impact on overal gameplay while most important stuff like not working formation, phalanx unit targetting, ships unable to land etc. will not be covered.
    You know they will never fix them. Because they are actually bugs not features, they don't wanna fix things, they just wanna dlc us to death and milk Rome 2 till the end of time...

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Guys, keep in mind that we have those factions already overhauled so we will not be adding Ramzes II era chariots to Numidia and other weird ideas.

Women are already present in some units in DeI, like Nomadic units or Takshila.

My main isse with it is that resources were spent by CA to develop things that will have small impact on overal gameplay while most important stuff like not working formation, phalanx unit targetting, ships unable to land etc. will not be covered.

Why don't you contact Jim Sterling about this issue? He's pretty much the only videogames journalist that dares to tackle these dirty corporation practices in videogame world. If you don't know him, watch his channel on youtube, especially the Jimquisition episodes.
    CA is obviously aware of your mod (they even named the first DLC after a long time "Empire Divided" ffs!), the next DLC consists of content you already delivered for free, trying to piggyback your work and daring to monetize it instead of repairing the AI and all that stuff that is hardcoded and made Rome 2 vanilla such a mess. It's about time you contact that guy and let the truth be known, because this is why CA and Sega are lazy and not improving their work and, furthermore, this is why videogames are nowadays becoming the drizzling , poorly optimized and filled with loot boxes. Don't stay quiet, man, because you, Dresden and all the guys in this wonderful mod team know exactly what's beneath the hood of this game and all the hard work it took to make this mod and turn Rome 2 from chicken to chicken salad for everybody. Please, don't stay quiet!
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; February 22, 2018 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Removed insults

nubian queens were known too lead troops and also were armour there is the bas relief that depicts KentakesShanakdakhete dressed in armour wielding a spear,besides that Kandake Amanirenas personally led a 5 year campaign against roman egypt.

I'm really disgusted with their whole politics. A shame companies like CA or Paradox have such DLC strategy, what the hell. At least I'm not really interested in this area, so they can count me out buying this crap. Fortunately, lastly, it's only Rome 2 long after release i have bought from this company.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius View Post
    The title of that article is very disingenuous seeing the massive backlash of skepticism that study caused from the historical community.

My view on this is that there probably were some female warriors in viking culture, but it was exceedingly rare. The few historical references to female warriors are typically those found during desperate defenses where every inhabitant was needed.

https://mashable.com/2017/09/12/fema.../#IcBiaLhTwmqB

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...warrior-women/

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...iking-warriors

Loyalty, obedience, speed, and agility are also important - and - places where male superiority is not as much of a thing.
    I can't speak to loyalty and obedience, but speed and agility are absolutely physical traits that the average man will have a huge advantage against the average woman. I know modern movies try to portray these super quick female warriors but trust me, there is a reason why the army male pt test run minimum pass rate is the max score for a females.

So if I'm Sparta, and I put my ladies through the Agoge, they will wipe the floor with the part time citizen levy of Athens. Training is superior to genetics and gender in most cases.
    I think you are underestimating how sexually dimorphic human beings really are. For example a male U15 soccer team beat the US womens national team 5-2.
    http://usatodayhss.com/2017/the-fc-d...ional-team-5-2

You should check out the study the marine corp did in 2015 about women in combat. They found that in the vast majority of physical situations mix gendered units performed worse than all male ones. They also found that women also suffered higher injury rates during physically demanding training. So you could force women to go through your agoge, but you would permanently injure a lot of them as female bone density and hip strength can not take the repeated stress male anatomy can. Not to mention who is going to birth children in this purposed spartan society (which notoriously has a small population as it is) of yours if the women are training full time? 9 month pregnancy with another several months of recovery isnt that conducive to campaigning, 30 mile ruck marches, limited sleep, limited nutrition, and the ultraviolent gore fest that is melee combat.
    Last edited by sobchack; February 21, 2018 at 09:15 PM.

Decanus

@sobchak: That 2015 study is highly controversial and has some deeply flawed methodologies. You can read more on that here: https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ion-study.html, and here: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...d-gender-units

Key excerpts: "the study also showed that some women excelled during tests such as hiking quickly with heavy loads and firing artillery under simulated enemy attack, while mixed marine units showed superior morale and problem-solving and better discipline than units composed only of male marines."

As well as: "Furthermore, though the report found all-male units were better at hiking, shooting, gorge-crossing and cliff-climbing, and males suffered fewer injuries, in one section of tests a mixed-sex unit out-marched three all-male units, progressing at five kilometres an hour (kph). The marine corps requirement is 4kph, carrying heavy packs and equipment."

Lots of people are reporting posts here, remember to keep things to a civil discussion. This isn't targetted at the most recent posts, just in general.

Lets try to keep the thread on topic of the DLC content and not CA or the general DLC practices. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dresden; February 21, 2018 at 11:44 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Libertus

What i have been disliking for longer time is the fact that they sell you unfinished games and you have to wait for year or two that modders aka the community finishes the work that the developers should have done ages ago.Community does this basically for free.After everything is fine and dandy with the mod the corporation comes and ruins everything after they have almost abandoned the games development and left it to fans.´´Hey nice that you guys modded the game to make it a lot better than we could ever could of care,but guess what we need more money and we came up with this nice dlc nothing necessery to improve the gameplay but it is a nice add-on for lets say 14.99 and your mods compability goes to the trash bin have fun making it work´´.I have always utilized steam sales when buying stuff but im paying more and more of the same game i have owned for years.How much have you spended money on rtw 2 alone think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    I have only one word...CAMELPHRACTS
    I've read your sentence aloud, which sounded more like :"I have only one word...CAMELFART". Incidentally this is why I signed in
    PS: Just kidding, you guys rock, best mod I've ever seen in ages, keep up !!

Quote Originally Posted by MAM3166 View Post
    I've read your sentence aloud, which sounded more like :"I have only one word...CAMELFART". Incidentally this is why I signed in
    PS: Just kidding, you guys rock, best mod I've ever seen in ages, keep up !!
    Welcome mate.
    Cheers

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

@Tiny: I'll actually respond to you because you're being polite.

We're actually in agreement about what happens when - ceteris paribus - a man and a woman are put head to head in a physical confrontation. The point I'm trying to make is that things are rarely perfectly equal. This goes for men vs. women but also men vs. men. The edge goes to whoever has the training/exercise advantage. That's why I said a force of women who have gone through military training will defeat a force of men who have not. It's only when both have similar amounts that the biological advantages of men vs. women come into play.

Let me put it to you another way. I'm mostly talking about Royal Guard units here because those are the feasible state-funded forces that would allow women to access the training to compete with men. As a king, is your priority to have a Guard that can defeat other Royal Guards head to head? Or is it to have a Guard that is loyal to you in the face of civil unrest and/or palace intrigue? Seeing as how pitching your Royal Guard against an enemy's was actually fairly rare, that advantage is not as large as some might think.
    I'll be kinda sort:
    - Women are way less strong than men
    - If you have to spend time and effort on the strongest 5% of women (i.e. royal guard training), you're much better training the strongest 5% of men.
    - Women give birth so they are (IMO of course) more "valuable" to keep alive. A (non monogamous) society with 10000 women and 7000 men alive produces (I think) more babies than a society with 8500 women and 8500 men alive.
    Those said:
    - All those don't really matter to me, it's not the only historical inaccuracy of the game
    - I like strong women characters. In movies, in series, in games. I would totally love to ahistorically have female faction leaders and generals and ahistorical women royal guards.
    - R2TW being a game, and since I play games to enjoy myself and not to learn social history of antiquity, I like that they put women there.\
    - Don't mistake me for a feminist please. I am a shallow male that likes women and especially strong female characters that kick butt.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Vardano View Post
    I have a question: what women generals do you know of that time period?
    "(...)Candace, queen of the Ethiopians in our time, a masculine woman, and who had lost an eye. (...) In the mean time Candace attacked the garrison with an army of many thousand men." -Strabo 17.1.54

This passage would have referred to either queen Amanirenas or Amanishakheto, while attacking Primis (Qasr Ibrim). In Meroitic Kush, queens had the same position as kings, and therefore could have led armies themselves as well. So Kush is, together with the Scythians and Sarmatians, the only culture in R2 where female generals actually make sense. Whole female units are fantasy trash tho.
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; February 22, 2018 at 10:21 AM.

Decanus

@alhoon: Just to reiterate, I've already indicated that the situation in which I think this would be plausible is one of societal upheaval, examples being massive war losses, civil unrest, or too rapid conquest expansion. I specifically mention those because they would put the kingdom/faction/player in a situation where they would either not want to, or not be able to, call on the best men available. If loyalty is what you need, and you question the loyalty of the best men, and think that training a crack battalion of women will result in a guard with better loyalty, then that's a perfectly reasonable course of action. Again, I'm talking about situations with plenty of historical precedents for gender role upheaval. I'm not saying that the Romans should have used female legions. I'm saying that there are not-completely-uncommon situations where female soldiers make sense.

It is frustrating that people keep thinking I'm talking about replacing men as the primary warriors in a society with no context or justification. There are situations where women could have - and did - larger roles to play in the military (beyond camp follower). Who fights in a society is heavily dependent on the socioeconomic factors affecting that society. In certain situations, the rich will do a lot of the fighting. In others, the rich will not fight and instead rely on the poor or on mercenaries. You all know this. What I have said all along is that there are situations where recruiting some number of women soldiers would make sense. Some times the reason is because of desperation. Some times the reason is because the leader values some trait other than brawn. But there are reasons.

And that is NOT to say that that has anything to do with CA's design decisions. Maybe CA includes female warriors to appeal to women. Maybe they include them to give dudes something to ogle during the 30 seconds an average Vanilla game takes to resolve. Maybe they did it just to annoy the community. Maybe they're bored? Maybe we'll never know for sure?

Guys I believe we should really move on...This DLC has many more issues, but also some potential.
    Let's talk about something else. I believe we have exhausted the women issue, haven't we ?

What is the potential of this DLC? I clearly see where is potential of this DLC for CA.
    Anyway, I have all DLC for Rome II except of Beasts of War and Daughters of Mars. I also did not buy ED and won't buy this one too.

I also wonder if I would have Nabataea campaign going on and CA would lock that faction with new DLC, could I continue it if I won't buy DLC?

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

i have a vision - they announce another DLC with an indian faction as next

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter-Floh View Post

Decanus

That's not nearly horrifying enough. I could see the next DLC featuring kilt-wearing Caledonians and Winged Hussar Lugii........

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter-Floh View Post
    I have an even better idea for CA.
    Roman axillary units dlc!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie 4 View Post
    I have an even better idea for CA.
    Roman axillary units dlc!!
    No way! Hands off my auxiliaries!!!