Thread: Question on what barracks you use for WRE and ERE?

Default Question on what barracks you use for WRE and ERE?

Here is what I think I know about the barracks...

Limitanei - front line border troops that were trained well but had less armor and due to them living in the local area, they were cheaper to maintain. Likely a trained militia line.

Comitatenses - There are your regular army professionals. The standard legionaries of the time period. These troops stand up just about anything thrown against them.

Palatina - These are your soldiers that serve with the Emperor. They are professional elites.

In my first game, many moons ago, I didn't know the information I typed above. I loaded my old save and looked at my empire. I had at least one of each barracks and only had 3 provinces. (We won't go into how jumbled my provinces were and I only had one that actually had positive food!)

I played a practice run of 15 turns as the WRE and found that the Comitatenses Legos and Spearmen, along with Sagittarii and light cavalry beats the heads in on the barbarians on my borders.

I had not built a Limitanei barracks as it looked like this was represented by the local garrisons. These men had no problem defeating the barbarian invaders (in towns/cities of course) either. Am I missing out on their usefulness by not using them as mobile armies on my borders cause of their price or will they not fair as well in full size open field battles? Then get to Legio Pseudocomitatenses in level 3?

Palatina - I built one of these in my capitol but only recruited some Palatina Juniores but realized that they were not as good as my Comitatenses Legos but I'm sure some of the later ones are better. Are they needed and/or worth the cost?

So in my current game, I am only 10 turns in and here is my set up. I am playing the Roman Britain mod so I have 6 regions in 2 provinces. I recruited early, to get some numbers up, some Numerus and Federoti spears (these seem very good for the money based on stats, but have not fought with them) and built a Comitatenses barracks that just reached level 2. I am now recruiting 8 Comitatenses Legos, 4 slingers (may be replaced with Sagittarii), 3 Equites Illyriciani/Dalmatae and keeping 4 Federati spears for my barbarian Aux.

What say you? Am I best sticking with the professional Comitatenses troops for usefulness and cost or use a combination of the three? I have never been one to recruit entire armies of Elites but maybe some are worth having? Are the Limitanei vital once you get to certain size?

Looking forward to hear both how you historically and functionally recruit as the Romans. Also mercenaries? I used them early and to boost numbers before battle but not sure if I will use them permanently due to cost.

Please feel free to discuss ERE also, as I'm sure I will get to them.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by JCB206; February 18, 2018 at 04:09 PM.

Default Re: Question on what barracks you use for WRE and ERE?

38 views and no responses? I know I am a noob to Attila TW, but have I placed this in the wrong place? Been answered too many times to type again? Please point me there. Thank you for all your help.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by JCB206 View Post
    38 views and no responses? I know I am a noob to Attila TW, but have I placed this in the wrong place? Been answered too many times to type again? Please point me there. Thank you for all your help.
    Sadly I haven't an answer for you buddy (haven't played Attila for ages) and the team members that were involved with FOTE are very busy AFAIK.
    With Rome's 2 latest patches-DLCs we're running scared all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Sadly I haven't an answer for you buddy (haven't played Attila for ages) and the team members that were involved with FOTE are very busy AFAIK.
    With Rome's 2 latest patches-DLCs we're running scared all the time.
    Thanks Greek Strategos! I felt like I had offended someone's Mama in here.

I thought it was a simple question for those that play Attila, but maybe no one plays Attila. I figured the team was busy with DEI. Thanks
    Last edited by JCB206; February 21, 2018 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCB206 View Post
    Thanks Greek Strategos! I felt like I had offended someone's Mama in here.

I thought it was a simple question for those that play Attila, but maybe no one plays Attila. I figured the team was busy with DEI. Thanks
    No problem mate.
    AFAIK most people dropped it since it has many opt. issues and the mod support for Attila is at the minimum right now. When the team is back, I'm sure many things will be fixed-updated for FOTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    No problem mate.
    AFAIK most people dropped it since it has many opt. issues and the mod support for Attila is at the minimum right now. When the team is back, I'm sure many things will be fixed-updated for FOTE.

No worries. It works well. All I have played so far.

Using the three unit archetypes in a historically-accurate is usually very effective. Position Limitanei on border provinces that may be at threat of imminent invasion. Send the Comitatensis to strategic chokepoints created by the Limitanei where large hostile armies are currently encroaching. If necessary, use the Palatini elite troops along with your best generals for extreme crises and important campaigns.

For example, in my Western Rome playthrough I recruited mostly Limitanei troops in one of my armies in Britannia Inferior, stationed in Eboracum, to guard against any future attacks by the Picts, Caledonians, or Eblani, while I used a few Comitatensis armies to stabilize and react to major threats throughout the Empire. The Limitanei were cheap and relatively weak, but they were good insurance in case the northern tribes invaded. Because they were stationed in the fortified provincial capital of Eboracum, they were incredibly effective at warding off multiple attacks while I organized and mobilized other armies to help push the tribes back and eventually defeat them past Hadrian's Wall.

As for the Palatini troops, I would use these sparingly as they are very expensive. Typically I would recruit them in armies of important generals, such as Flavius Stilicho. Later, when the Huns were getting too powerful, the Palatini troops were incredibly effective counters to their large numbers and deadly units. Although, the Comitatensis units were still very effective late game (as they should be).

This historical strategy worked incredibly for the first half of my campaign as I stabilized the Western Roman Empire's borders and it was a bunch of fun to see the strategy through to fruition. Makes the game much more enjoyable than vanilla when you can use each tier of unit effectively throughout a campaign rather than just mindlessly going through an upgrade chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCuba View Post
    Using the three unit archetypes in a historically-accurate is usually very effective. Position Limitanei on border provinces that may be at threat of imminent invasion. Send the Comitatensis to strategic chokepoints created by the Limitanei where large hostile armies are currently encroaching. If necessary, use the Palatini elite troops along with your best generals for extreme crises and important campaigns.

For example, in my Western Rome playthrough I recruited mostly Limitanei troops in one of my armies in Britannia Inferior, stationed in Eboracum, to guard against any future attacks by the Picts, Caledonians, or Eblani, while I used a few Comitatensis armies to stabilize and react to major threats throughout the Empire. The Limitanei were cheap and relatively weak, but they were good insurance in case the northern tribes invaded. Because they were stationed in the fortified provincial capital of Eboracum, they were incredibly effective at warding off multiple attacks while I organized and mobilized other armies to help push the tribes back and eventually defeat them past Hadrian's Wall.

As for the Palatini troops, I would use these sparingly as they are very expensive. Typically I would recruit them in armies of important generals, such as Flavius Stilicho. Later, when the Huns were getting too powerful, the Palatini troops were incredibly effective counters to their large numbers and deadly units. Although, the Comitatensis units were still very effective late game (as they should be).

This historical strategy worked incredibly for the first half of my campaign as I stabilized the Western Roman Empire's borders and it was a bunch of fun to see the strategy through to fruition. Makes the game much more enjoyable than vanilla when you can use each tier of unit effectively throughout a campaign rather than just mindlessly going through an upgrade chain.
    Good points. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCuba View Post

Thank you very much for the response. I have played two ways so far but not more than 30 turns. The first I trained Comitatensis and Palatini troops (Which never actually saw combat) and used the garrisons as my Limitanei.

In the 2nd, I had one army of Comitatensis as my main army and Limitanei at all the other borders. Never got to the Palatini but I never felt like a needed them either. I did notice that the Limitani, in their only offensive campaign, could very well lose a battle. They were great in towns but about even with the tribes in the field. The Comitatensis would rout the enemy very easily.

Both branches seem effective. No experience with Panatini yet. I couln't decide if the Limitanei should only be used as Garrison troops or in the field. From what I have read, they raided into enemy lands often.

Thanks again for the response.

No problem! Mixing the Limitanei troops with the Comitatensis was something I did often, and is very cost-effective in the long-run while maintaining a bunch of strong armies. Palatini, while not necessary most of the time, were just awesome to look at and enjoy in battle.