Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Source - New Europe Campaign Map

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Default Open Source - New Europe Campaign Map

Hi all!

I am in the process of making a map of Europe to replace the Fall of the Sumurai map.

EXAMPLE SIZE OF THE MAP

In the spoiler tab you can check out the size the of the European map will be in comparison to the Fall of the Samurai map:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example 1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	350947
    This is the map

Name:	Example 2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	350948
    This is the Fall of the Samurai map

Name:	Example 3.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	353.8 KB 
ID:	350949
    This is the size of the Europe map on the Fall of the Samurai map for reference

PROGRESS

The objective is to start with the UK (specifically Scotland) to keep practicing on until I am happy with the quality of the map. Then I'll use that skill to do the rest of the Europe map - rather than trying to do the whole thing at once.

In the spoiler tab below you can check out the progress bring made.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

To start I built the mainland of the UK and inserted a couple of settlements

Name:	Scotland.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	351103

After that, it was a matter of dividing up the settlements into sizes which make sense. I am thinking that with regions this size, conquering Britain (or any other country) will be far more interesting than a couple of battles for one settlement in NTW.

Name:	Scotland Map Height.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	351169

You can also see that I have begun work on the heights. Still plenty to be done on that but you get an idea of what it is looking like so far.

If anyone is interested in helping turn this into a new mod, let me know. I'll just plough on with the campaign map for now. Let me know your thoughts
    Last edited by Malcolm; March 03, 2018 at 12:45 PM.

zxcvmnb's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Open Source - New Europe Campaign Map

I had considered working on a similar project some time back. If you have not done so already, I encourage you to look at the work of the North&South II - The American Civil War team as they have released an early map of North America. Although early modders had difficulty with editing voices and weapon sounds, I believe most major issues with sound and UI have been accommodated. Further, Fall of the Samurai offers an outstanding set of features (naval bombardments, railroads, ect.) which could make European based mods some of the most comprehensive across the Total Wars.

Best of luck with your project!

TGW Mod Official Unit Cutter-Outer

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvmnb View Post
    I had considered working on a similar project some time back. If you have not done so already, I encourage you to look at the work of the North&South II - The American Civil War team as they have released an early map of North America. Although early modders had difficulty with editing voices and weapon sounds, I believe most major issues with sound and UI have been accommodated. Further, Fall of the Samurai offers an outstanding set of features (naval bombardments, railroads, ect.) which could make European based mods some of the most comprehensive across the Total Wars.

Thanks zxcvmnb!

I've had a look at the North & South mod. That's what spurred me on to go at Shogun 2 rather than any of the newer games. And it is the Fall of the Samurai campaign that I've started on, just thought the features would make it an interesting one!

I made my own new campaign map for my new mod. I added all the raw data on TWC. You can find the link here. Maybe it can help you a bit further

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by izzi View Post
    I made my own new campaign map for my new mod. I added all the raw data on TWC. You can find the link here. Maybe it can help you a bit further
    Awesome work Izzi! Looks really good. I am only just starting out, and I'm pretty sure I have everything that I need but I will 100% have questions for you!

ALSO: UPDATED THE ORIGINAL POST WITH THE PLAN

Campidoctor
    Civitate

What would be a good starting year? 1850 perhaps?

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    What would be a good starting year? 1850 perhaps?
    It's actually quite a tricky one. The game features of the Fall of the Samurai campaign suggest it should be around then. Depends on whether the objective is to pick a historic time when Europe was involved in massive conflict (like Napoleonic Wars). The later 1800's seem more dominated by internal revolts rather than massive international war.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    It's actually quite a tricky one. The game features of the Fall of the Samurai campaign suggest it should be around then. Depends on whether the objective is to pick a historic time when Europe was involved in massive conflict (like Napoleonic Wars). The later 1800's seem more dominated by internal revolts rather than massive international war.
    Perhaps a (preliminary) focus on the Italian unification wars would be a good idea? Obviously doesn't have the appeal of a map covering all of Europe, but it makes way more sense in the "Total War" scheme of things. It is also less ambitious and thus more likely to actually see the day of light. If the release was successful one can still start working on an Europe-wide map afterwards.

You could maybe do a Victorian Age mod, that focusses on Europe (and North Africa, Egypt, part of the Middle east and Crimea). Maybe around 1830.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Perhaps a (preliminary) focus on the Italian unification wars would be a good idea? Obviously doesn't have the appeal of a map covering all of Europe, but it makes way more sense in the "Total War" scheme of things. It is also less ambitious and thus more likely to actually see the day of light. If the release was successful one can still start working on an Europe-wide map afterwards.
    That could be interesting, and make sense with the time line set out in FoS. I think starting with the map of Europe (while more ambitious) to begin with would be a better call though - more chance of getting more people back involved with modding Shogun 2. I might be wrong about that.

The wider plan is to use this first map to really get good at building new campaign maps for S2TW. So other ideas, like an Italian Unification mod are always good to hear. I would quite like to do a map that would suit the American Revolution after the Europe map.

You could maybe do a Victorian Age mod, that focusses on Europe (and North Africa, Egypt, part of the Middle east and Crimea). Maybe around 1830.
    Victorian era makes sense but the map that would need would be much larger - the wars were so global at that point, which is why I would be more swayed towards earlier periods.

I'll keep at the map and update when I get time. Until then, good to hear these ideas! Keep 'em coming!

Can't you just import the map from Empire/Napoleon? I think Izzi mentioned that when he created his campaign map for FoTS.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Palaiogos View Post
    Can't you just import the map from Empire/Napoleon? I think Izzi mentioned that when he created his campaign map for FoTS.
    I'm pretty sure that's not possible to do.

Anyway - UPDATED the original post again

Feel free to have a sneak preview of Scotland

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Most recent screenshot looks quite atmospheric. I am worried about the settlement density though. How many settlements can the engine bear before starting to lag?

I think the utmost max is around 255 regions (strat map). If it was build on 64 bit engine, than there where no memory limitations. Now off course you have a max of 4GB ram.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Most recent screenshot looks quite atmospheric. I am worried about the settlement density though. How many settlements can the engine bear before starting to lag?
    At the moment I am just placing the settlements with similar distances between them as in the FotS original game - though this doesn't necessarily mean that this will be the final make up of the settlements on the map and as Izzi says, plenty of more settlements to add in

I think the utmost max is around 255 regions (strat map). If it was build on 64 bit engine, than there where no memory limitations. Now off course you have a max of 4GB ram.
    Anyway, at the moment all I have done it added the British Isles and I am testing various parts of the map just figuring out how to do different things and what looks best. I'll keep updating as I go along.

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvmnb View Post

The america map for shogun 2 was a submod not part of the offical mod The voices i made for north and south rah edition were rather my own style not to mention it is a submod i am not part of the official team

Campidoctor
    Civitate

News?

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

News?
    Hey LinusLinothorax!

No real news at the moment. Had an extremely busy month with work in the real world. Since the last update I was tweaking mountain regions and trying to figure out how to get trees into the map.

I'll hopefully get back to it at some point soon but looking like the next two weeks are still going to be very busy.

zxcvmnb's Avatar Semisalis

Godspeed! You're doing amazing work here. I am deeply hopeful that such a project might encourage people to assess the vast potential of Shogun II for complete overhauls.

TGW Mod Official Unit Cutter-Outer

Well done Malcolm Well done! Keep up the great work! You could contact with Uanime5 here he knows lots of stuffs about Shogun 2 mapping, I hope when you becomes expert in mapping come and help in Shogun 2 overhaul mods Such as the epic Middle-Earth campaign!. After Med2 Shogun 2 is the only game has campaign mapping tools and stuffs maybe Three Kingdoms also has this section but (maybe)! We could transfer to that game later if CA would provide for it a map tool but for now it's only Shogun 2. Feel free to ask me if you need something mate, really Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast