Thread: Unspecified Error when besieging Middle Eastern Cities

Default Unspecified Error when besieging Middle Eastern Cities

I encountered a "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit." whenever I attack a Middle Eastern City. Using 2.1 of Total Vanilla Beyond.

Here is Log :log.rar

4zumi's Avatar This one sparks joy

Default Re: Unspecified Error when besieging Middle Eastern Cities

Thanks for the log,
    but I can make no sense of it. I believe this to be the culprit, but the directories do not exist in my mod or the original game, as far as I could see.

15:03:37.012 [system.io] [info] open: found data/banners/main_spear.mesh (from: packs/data_0.pack)
    15:03:37.013 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/totalvanillab/data/Banners/textures/faction_variations/damascus/Faction_banner_england.texture
    15:03:37.014 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/totalvanillab/data/Banners/textures/faction_variations/damascus/variations/middle_eastern/Faction_banner_england.texture
    15:03:37.014 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/totalvanillab/data/Banners/textures/variations/middle_eastern/Faction_banner_england.texture
    15:03:37.014 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/Banners/textures/faction_variations/damascus/Faction_banner_england.texture
    15:03:37.014 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/Banners/textures/faction_variations/damascus/variations/middle_eastern/Faction_banner_england.texture
    15:03:37.015 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/Banners/textures/variations/middle_eastern/Faction_banner_england.texture
    15:03:37.015 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/totalvanillab/data/Banners/textures/Faction_banner_england.texture
    15:03:37.015 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/totalvanillab/data/Banners/textures/Faction_banner_england.texture
    15:03:37.016 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/totalvanillab/data/Banners/textures/faction_variations/damascus/Faction_banner_england_trans.texture
    15:03:37.016 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/totalvanillab/data/Banners/textures/faction_variations/damascus/variations/middle_eastern/Faction_banner_england_trans.texture
    15:03:37.016 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/totalvanillab/data/Banners/textures/variations/middle_eastern/Faction_banner_england_trans.texture
    15:03:37.016 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/Banners/textures/faction_variations/damascus/Faction_banner_england_trans.texture
    15:03:37.016 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/Banners/textures/faction_variations/damascus/variations/middle_eastern/Faction_banner_england_trans.texture
    15:03:37.017 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/Banners/textures/variations/middle_eastern/Faction_banner_england_trans.texture
    15:03:37.017 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/totalvanillab/data/Banners/textures/Faction_banner_england_trans.texture
    15:03:37.017 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/totalvanillab/data/Banners/textures/Faction_banner_england_trans.texture
    15:03:37.018 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/banners/main_spear.mesh,,,-51473
    15:03:37.328 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

I guess you are fighting against Damascus.

As I am in the middle of making a new version 2.7 beta (but don't mind the beta, as it is just a not so well tested release version on the way to 3.0) I can propose this:

-Reinstall the mod from scratch (but make a backup of your savegame first). Try if this helps.
    -If not, look in the 2.0 Release thread after an experimental patch, but I doubt it will help in your case, and you would have to start a new campaign.
    -Use the 2.6 beta (also found somewhere in the 2.0 release thread)
    -Wait a bit and use 2.7 beta version which will be released soon.

Because I'm in the thick of modding I can not provide full assistance to now older versions. But even if, I could not make anything of this particular bug. Maybe someone else can tell me what this could be.
    As I have not encountered it, it may be a hiccup of a bad savegame or whatever.

Sorry I could not really help you, but I hope the possibilities provided will suit your need.
    Thanks anyway for posting the bug.
    Proudly under the patronage of King Athelstan of the Imperial House of Hader

Author of
    Total Vanilla Beyond mod for Medieval 2 - Kingdoms &
    Developer of
    Total Bananas mod for Medieval 2 - Kingdoms (beta)

Steam Workshop Mods for Rome 2, Warhammer, Warhammer 2

Discord: zumi's cookie corner
    Fighting for launch of "Cookie Friday" and "No Pants Saturday"

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Hmm, I guess I can wait for the 3.0 release in a few years lol Tried re-installing but doesn't seem to work. Tried a new game with a Middle-Eastern faction, and same thing happens when I attack a city in that region. Auto-resolve seems to work just fine though.

But thanks anyway this is an amazing mod.

Ok, this is very strange. Can you tell me which city it is you are attacking? This could be a wrongly placed unit model that leads to a crash.
    This might have been carried over to the new 2.7 version, so I would like to check it out.
    Thank you.

Author of
    Developer of

Jerusalem, and then when that crashed, I tried Acre. Both crashed, have not tried another city yet.

I will try to reproduce it.
    Can you please tell me exactly which faction you played?
    Was Jerusalem or Acre in the hands of rebels or another faction?

Author of
    Developer of

Quote Originally Posted by 4zumi View Post
    I will try to reproduce it.
    Can you please tell me exactly which faction you played?
    Was Jerusalem or Acre in the hands of rebels or another faction?
    I played as England against Rebels during a Crusade. Both Jerusalem and Acre were under Rebels. Acre was a castle and Jerusalem was a minor city.

So, I tested it a few times in 2.7 and had no problem taking Acre or Jerusalem from rebells.
    The only advidce I could give you is:

-Try the 2.7 version.
    -Unpack it with right clicking on the zip, selcting properties and checking the box on the security option to unblock. If not checked this could possibly be a cause for damaged files, that can cause random errors. (You can also try this with 2.1, but i will recommend 2.7)
    -If this does not work, i have no idea, what it is, but feel free to post a log if you run into another error after trying the above.

Author of
    Developer of