Thread: Annoying AI issues.

Default Annoying AI issues.

Alright, so I don't know if I'm alone in this, but i'm playing Third Age total war (version 3.2), and the AI is displaying some really annoying behavior. I'm playing as Gondor, and the difficulty is set to hard for the campaign and for battles.

First issue; during battles, the AI will never charge me. Even if they outnumber me by a wide margin, and they are the ones who attacked me on the campaign map, they will just hold up in their deployment zone and never move unless I march on them first. This is particularly annoying, considering I personally prefer a more defensive playstyle. I like it when the AI advances on me, and I can turtle up with well thought out formations and pepper them with arrows and catapult fire. The odd time I've been lucky and they'll charge me, but I'd say about 8/10 battles they refuse to leave their deployment zone, no matter what the situation.

Second issue; So an invasion has been called on my capital. Cool, I might get some epic battles in while defending on home turf!... NOPE. All the AI will do is send endless streams of single stack armies charging at my capital in a never ending tide of suicide runs. They will very rarely ever send me an actual army to fight, usually just the general by himself, they will surround my city with several lone generals and never actually siege it lol. They will also bypass the rest of my forces and cities and just make a b line for my capital. This is particularly annoying, because even when I clear them out, my city will be surrounded again by single stacked armies within another turn or so.

I've tried out vanilla Medieval 2 just to see if it was the mod, but this is happening in vanilla as well. Does anybody know of any mods to help fix these issues?

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Default Re: Annoying AI issues.

Quote Originally Posted by battenfelder View Post
    Alright, so I don't know if I'm alone in this, but i'm playing Third Age total war (version 3.2), and the AI is displaying some really annoying behavior. I'm playing as Gondor, and the difficulty is set to hard for the campaign and for battles.

First issue; during battles, the AI will never charge me. Even if they outnumber me by a wide margin, and they are the ones who attacked me on the campaign map, they will just hold up in their deployment zone and never move unless I march on them first. This is particularly annoying, considering I personally prefer a more defensive playstyle. I like it when the AI advances on me, and I can turtle up with well thought out formations and pepper them with arrows and catapult fire. The odd time I've been lucky and they'll charge me, but I'd say about 8/10 battles they refuse to leave their deployment zone, no matter what the situation.

Second issue; So an invasion has been called on my capital. Cool, I might get some epic battles in while defending on home turf!... NOPE. All the AI will do is send endless streams of single stack armies charging at my capital in a never ending tide of suicide runs. They will very rarely ever send me an actual army to fight, usually just the general by himself, they will surround my city with several lone generals and never actually siege it lol. They will also bypass the rest of my forces and cities and just make a b line for my capital. This is particularly annoying, because even when I clear them out, my city will be surrounded again by single stacked armies within another turn or so.

I've tried out vanilla Medieval 2 just to see if it was the mod, but this is happening in vanilla as well. Does anybody know of any mods to help fix these issues?
    try this
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...5596-Skynet-AI

good luck
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Annoying AI issues.

As for the units remaining in the deployment zone when the battle begins. Try moving your units and then return to their start positions. Sometime it also takes firing archers onto there formation to get them started. Annoying. Yeah. But I think in real life it would happen as well.

The invasion thing -- I agree that is truly a flaw in the programing. You see it also with recruitments generally moving to the front in drips and drabs rather that saving up resources to actually make a difference. My guess is this is why there is a minimum number in vanilla to start a Crusade stack. Does not prevent the stack being composed of the dregs (much like the crusade stacks themselves in why so many did fail).

As to the Skynet link -- I will need to check that out. It does look interesting.