Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Seven updated 14/04) - restoring pics

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Five updated 24/03)

Great chapter!

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Five updated 24/03)

Year Six in Dragon Pass - 1335

Sea Season
    A large group of people arrived on our territory, saying they had escaped those we know as Horse-Spawn. Orngerin and Salinarg were of one mind as to how we shold welcome them.

“Welcome! You have the possibility to serve the Darkkar, and I am in need of some women around my stead. What is with those faces, it’s an honour!” Sartar’s words were his indeed.

A white calf was born in the Drakkar herds and the ring discussed its fate. Varmand and Salinarg were for sacrificing it, while Gustand, with Aski’s backing, had final word. This, however, upset the farmers, even though Aski was their representative.

“Well if white calves are so valuable, I’m sure I can make a few.” Nobody dared ask Sartar how he planned to do that.

When Orlanthi from other clans congratulated Gustand on the new clan’s treasure, news reached us about the Lysang clan.

“So, how does that work? He gets mad if he doesn’t cheat you? I’d make a better leader, I don’t get mad.” People again ignored Sartar, though they made sure no outsiders heard him.
    Fire Season
    After a successful cattle raid against the Eagle clan, we expected retaliation, but the large group of people approaching our tula were not Eagle weaponthanes.

Three strangers from the Pharaoh’s lands came, asking directions to the Bayberry clan. Varmand was clearly agitated, while Orngerin and Aski wanted to know more. Gustand faked ignorance. However, since they were sorcerers, Salinarg’s opinion as Magicwielder prevailed.

This time our raid against the Eagles was meant to conquer part of their territory. We marched under Varmand’s leadership, Salinarg was in charge of helping with magic and, upon seeing the enemy, our warriors charged head on.

After the battle ended and the wounded were healed, Aski reported the tula had had visitors.

Earth Season
    Considering the ring’s recent desires to acquire more treasures, the issue brought before the leaders seemed like a good opportunity. While Gustand and Varmand argued we should drive off the spirit, Elmalandti called shamans to capture it.

When the shamans departed, Elmalandti went with them, as some were of the Boskovi clan. They were next on the Drakkar “appease and make friends” list.

Aransanda, who was healed by Chalana Arroy priestesses the previous year was once again accused of spreading disease. Orngerin proposed the clan send after the priestesses once more but people were tired of the old woman.

The Boskovi clan viewed us more favourably now, which made Gustand think of forming our own tribe.

Dark Season
    The Dark season started dark indeed, as our clan was hit by secret murder, a very serious offence. The ring leaders had various ideas about the guilty but Salinarg ninsisted on a divination which showed us the guilty party.

Varmand brought news about a great artefact and his harsh words struck home. The ring decided that Jarstakos would stop focusing on exploring our tula and as soon as the roads would be passable, he would lead an expedition to the Quivin Mountains.

Storm Season
    The expedition returned from the Quivin Mountains after finding a wyrm. Varmand’s warlike fervour was tempered by Salinarg and Aski, who reminded the ring that our clan used to be friendly towards dragons. Thus, our clan magic was strengthened.

We were attacked by the Eagle clan once more, though the battle didn’t go their way. Korlaman killed an enemy god-talker and helped carry the day. We now had more thralls than we knew how to employ.

Celebrating our victory against the Eagle clan, we were joined by three Uroxi warriors, who are known to be unconcerned with manners. Before Elmalandti had a chance to ask for reparations, Sartar spoke to them:

“Brave Storm Bulls, there is Chaos in Dragon Pass and one if its lairs is to the north, near the Eagle clan tula.”
    Alas, not even they believed the Trickster.

Urox, the Storm Bull

Before the year was over, Jarstakos left the tula, leading another expedition to far away lands, this time to the south.

Sacred Time
    The sacred time rituals were full of good omens and the Drakkar spirits were high. Our sixth year in Dragon Pass had been a good one. The gods approved of our exploring endeavours and Lhankor Mhy sent omens that we continue. The clan magic was divided between crops, herds and mysteries, as well as health and war.

Lhankor Mhy, the Knowing God
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Six updated 31/03)

It sounds like your clan is doing well against the Eagles for now. I wonder if you are worried about the declining numbers of weaponthanes (29 at the end of year 4, 26 at the end of year 5 and 23 at the end of year 6)? Hopefully the stronger clan magic will compensate for this. I wonder what will be discovered in the continuing explorations (and whether the check-box for 'Mysteries' in Sacred Time is linked to exploring - does selecting the box indicate that you have chosen to allocate resources to exploration?)

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    It sounds like your clan is doing well against the Eagles for now. I wonder if you are worried about the declining numbers of weaponthanes (29 at the end of year 4, 26 at the end of year 5 and 23 at the end of year 6)? Hopefully the stronger clan magic will compensate for this. I wonder what will be discovered in the continuing explorations (and whether the check-box for 'Mysteries' in Sacred Time is linked to exploring - does selecting the box indicate that you have chosen to allocate resources to exploration?)
    The Eagles pose no real threat, though things can generally change or another clan can start a feud. that's why I try to be on good terms with everyone (which isn't always easy). I believe any number above 20 for weaponthanes is considered large, but I try to keep it closer to 30 just because they die quite often and I don't want to spend one action just on recruiting warriors. About 17 is average I woud say. During sacred Time is when you can allocate magic for certain things, to help boost those actions for the following year. The Mystery option is used when you sacrifice to gods to either learn a new ritual (each god has between 2-5 different oneas I believe) or to learn the Gods' stories. Each god (or the major ones) have their own story (like mythology) and once you know the story you can try to re-create it (it's called Heroquest-ing). Exploration is not affected by choices during Sacred Time, though I believe there's a god that has a ritual which helps.

A bit of clarification on the rituals: once you know a ritual, you can sacrifice specificaly for that one (Healing, Protection, etc.) to get its effects for one year. Another option is to build temples (2 or 3 tiers) that offer the rituals as permanent bonuses, but they require upkeep in the form of goods so they can be expensive. When sacrificing for mystery (first you have to select a god/godess), you can learn an unknown ritual or part of the god's/godess' story, but I think it's random (and based on how many cows you sacrifice - anything lower than 15 usually gives nothing), unless you know all the rituals.

There are however many gods to choose from, 15 plus the Ancestors (Protection). Also, if you look at the photos of the clan ring, bottom right corner you'll see a symbol for the god each person worships.

EDIT:
    1st - Clan Bossman - Orlanth (Zeus-like)
    2nd - Clan Warhead - Elmal (Apollo-like, I believe)
    3rd - Clan Lawyery gal - Ernalda (Hera-like, but generally nicer)
    4th - Clan Businessman - Issaries, god of trade
    5th - Clan Magician - Chalana Arroy (healer type godess)
    6th - Clan Farmerdude - Barntar (god of harvest, son of Orlanth)
    7th - Sartar, Clan Troublemaker - Eurmal (Loki-esque figure)
    Last edited by Darkan; April 04, 2018 at 06:10 PM.
    DuckDuckGo

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Year Seven in Dragon Pass - 1336

Sea Season
    Jarstakos and his explorers encountered a woman fleeing the Pharaoh. Bringing her back, the ring decided to give her shelter and for once, even Sartar agreed, though he went on to recount the entire history of the Pharaoh.

The clan revised the situation it found itself in and both Salinarg and Aski reported great news.

Jarstakos once more prepared to travel, this time going to the sacred mountain of Kero Fin. We also realised some of our neighbours, especially the Orladnast and Enhily clans, didn’t see us favourably, probably due to our long-lasting feud with the Eagle clan.

Right before the warring season started properly, we were attacked by the riders. They didn’t manage to plunder our goods, but we did have to send word everywhere that we are looking for more people.

Fire Season
    We sent a small contingent on a cattle raid against the Eagle clan. They didn’t exactly come back empty-handed.

One of Jarstakos’ explorers rode into the settlement and brought before the clan ring a great opportunity, or a terrible chance. Varmand and Elmalandti wanted to accept, while Orngerin and Salinarg argued the opposite. It was a stalemate, as both Gustand and Aski abstained. It was once more for Sartar to break the tie, which he did.

“The man you speak of seems to be one after my own heart. Do it!”

Varmand had clear orders. He was to try and conquer part of the Eagles’ land. Our forces were sent in full numbers and high spirits. This was Alarandra’s first battle as part of the Drakkar clan.

Earth Season
    Both Elmalandti and Jarstakos packed their bags and led caravans for different missions. Jarstakos went south, to explore and Elmalandti went east, to gift the Enhyli.

The clan leaders welcomed Orlkensor Bronzebones into the Drakkar clan. Another weaponthane would fight for the clan’s success.

Dark Season
    Wilkossi, a warrior who had travelled with Jarstakos, returned to tell us that Thadart was captured by Tusk Riders. Varmand agreed with Orngerin about composing a funeral poem. Orngerin’s words moved the entire clan.

The Plowsong ritual helps our oxen work harder.

A Rangdani warrior, follower of Urox, came looking for Orlkensor Bronzebones. The clan ring tried everything to find out what the two men’s feud was about, but neither spoke. While Orlkensor didn’t want to fight the Uroxi, in the end, not wanting to put the clan in danger, he agreed. They fought a furious battle until the Uroxi plunged his sword in Orlkensor’s heart, slaying him.

Storm Season
    Jarstakos once more went exploring, this time east, closer to the Marsh Duck lands. As our relationship with the Cabbage Duck clan was relatively good, we wanted their cousins to not harbour any ill-will towards us.

A Rangdani noblewoman arrived asking about Orlkensor Bronzebones. The leaders, save Sartar, didn’t want to take this conflict further than Orlkensor had.

Sacred Time
    Elmalandti and Salinarg brought news just before the Sacred Time rituals. The good news was that the ring’s current goal to acquire treasures was furthered by Jarstakos’ trip in Beast Valley. It was full of Beastfolk, an aspect that many saw as bad, since the Basmoli Beastmen were our ancient enemies. Where these the same as the Basmoli or not?

While this was seen as a generally good year, the clan ring decided to keep a larger pool of Magic available, so we only invested in crops, herds, trade and war. The omens spoke of fewer children born in the following eyar, though many had mixed reactions: on the one hand, less children meant less warriors and workers in the future, but also less mouths to feed.

DuckDuckGo

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Seven updated 14/04)

It seems all my posts (OP and updates) have missing pictures. I'm using postimg for this, do you guys now why that's happening? Also, would it be better to move the pics here to TWC? (my vote is yes...regarding this, does anyone know if we can have a folder within a folder? Something like Drakkar AAR main folder, C1, C2, etc. sub-folders?)
    DuckDuckGo

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Seven updated 14/04)

Good update! After I worried that your clan had too few weaponthanes, it's interesting to read that your clan members feel that there are too many!

I'm sorry to hear about your missing pictures, how annoying. I am using the 'Albums' feature of TWC to host pictures and it's working well so far. (For anyone reading this who isn't sure how to do this, I posted brief instructions in this post.)

Darkan's Avatar Senator

I haven't had time to play much over the past couple of weeks. I'll also focus on moving the pics to this site, so the next weeks will see little updates. Thank you for your patience.
    DuckDuckGo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12