Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Failed to update the mods in Workshop

Default Re: Failed to update the mods in Workshop

I'm glad for you Caligula. In the end CA hasn't fixed anything, we have had to investigate methods to avoid their bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Same here by the way. Forgot to respond to your PM.
    No problem and I'm glad that it works for you.

Here are some additional informations about the current state where our mods are stored. CA changed something how Steam manages the Attila mods. At the moment the situation is like this.

OLD Mods (updated before the last launcher update) are still in the normal Attila data folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Attila\data

NEW Mods (updated after the last launcher update) will be only stored in this folder below and they will be deleted in the Attila data folder of the subscribers:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\325610\***

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Your solution also works for me, thanks for that.

I can only seem to update when the description is empty though, if I replace the description and then try again it will revert to the error. It's annoying but I guess it still works.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

I'm glad it works for you. Swiss Halberdier and I have been several days researching to update the mods of Attila in Workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel_80 View Post
    I'm glad it works for you. Swiss Halberdier and I have been several days researching to update the mods of Attila in Workshop.
    Oh yes after so many days we found together another temporary solution which really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    Your solution also works for me, thanks for that.
    I can only seem to update when the description is empty though, if I replace the description and then try again it will revert to the error. It's annoying but I guess it still works.
    Thanks for your comment here Sebidee and good that it works for you too.

Yes unfortunately if the description contains any text, then it isn't possible to update the mod. So I always backup first my description text, then delete the whole text, then update the mod and afterwards copy the description text back.

I communicated with CA several times and sent them all possible log files and descriptions of this bug and workaround. I also posted it on the official forums. So we all hope that CA hopefully fixes this heavy launcher bug soon.

Today CA released a patch for the Attila launcher. Here are my experiences so far with this new update.

I can update my mods without doing the workaround from my post above. But the description is still cut down to 5-6 lines after the update process.

A new folder has been created within the Attila data folder after updating the mod while being subscribed to the mod itself:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Attila\data\***number_of_the_steam_thread_of_your_mod***

The formerly new folder below has been wiped out again:

If not already subscribed to the own mod while updating the mod, caused it instantly to subscribe each time when I do an update.

What do other modders experience after this new Attila launcher patch?

Idem. Only fixed the problem of the title when you update the mod. And I downloaded your mod again and it doesn't appears in DATA folder, as it happened previously.

Same here for updating own mods.

However, I can't even find the file for European High Middle Ages 1.3, which I unsubscribed and downloaded again in order to test. Not in my data, nor in programfiles(x86). It's somewhere in my PC because the mod loads and plays fine. Also, the mysterious numbered folders have disappeared from my data folder since the latest update. Perplexing.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel_80 View Post
    Idem. Only fixed the problem of the title when you update the mod. And I downloaded your mod again and it doesn't appears in DATA folder, as it happened previously.
    Thanks a lot Miguel_80!

Yes I made again a few update/upload tests and it really seems that the mods get downloaded again into this new special folder here:

I experience also that if I as the modder/owner didn't subscribe to my own mod, then it will subscribe me instantly each time I update my mod. And yes the description gets still cut down to 5-6 lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    Same here for updating own mods.

However, I can't even find the file for European High Middle Ages 1.3, which I unsubscribed and downloaded again in order to test. Not in my data, nor in programfiles(x86). It's somewhere in my PC because the mod loads and plays fine. Also, the mysterious numbered folders have disappeared from my data folder since the latest update. Perplexing.
    Thanks for your feedback Theramines!

These mysterious numbered folders are related to the direct link of the related mod.

I got Miguel's EHM 1.3 in this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\325610\1300299639

And this is his Steam thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1300299639

As you see this number is always corresponding to the Steam thread. I know this from modding other games which put their mods into other places than normally TW games do.

Yes indeed as you say it's really strange at the moment. Sometimes I received the mods in the data folder (older mods), sometimes in this special new workshop\content\325610\* folder (newly updated mods) and strangely today after this patch also with the special number directly in the data folder. And then after un-subscribe/re-subscribe the folder disappeared again.

But yes the mods basically do work and the launcher can start them.

Some information from Creative Assembly:

Recently I received a direct feedback from Creative Assembly and they were grateful about our useful investigations/workarounds which helped them to fix the biggest upload issue in the recent Attila Mod launcher patch update from 6.3.2018. They said also that hey will further investigate the remaining issues with the Attila Mod launcher.

CA asked me again if there are still remaining issues with the recent Attila Mod Launcher update. So far I noticed these issues:

- if updating any mod, then the Steam thread description gets cut off to 5-6 lines
    - the installation from Steam does split old and new mods like this below. There is a new behaviour how the Mods get installed and where they will be downloaded.

OLD Mods (updated or released before the last launcher update) are still in the normal Attila data folder:

NEW Mods (updated or released after the last launcher update) will be only stored in this folder below and they will be deleted in the Attila data folder of the subscribers:

So if you encounter any other issues, then please let me know and I will write it to CA. Thanks in advance!

1. The 'continue campaign' function still doesn't work.
    2. Deleting mods often causes some other mods to re-download. I can't see any consistency or pattern as to which mods will do that though.
    3. This may just be my perception, but occasionally random mods select themselves and I have to scroll through the launcher to unselect them. Now I always scroll through the mods on the launcher before selecting play.

...later that day.

All sorts of weird stuff happened to my launcher today. Mods activated themselves, png images went missing, a swathe of mods were updated for no reason. That's increasing par for the course, I suppose. Here's the kicker though: an overhaul mod that I'd been working on for weeks has suddenly stopped working and now crashes to desktop every time. It had worked perfectly well a couple of hours prior and I hadn't touched any of its files since. I have no idea where to start looking for the source of the crash through its 700+ mb of files and quite frankly I'm wondering why I bother.

It just deleted some of my mods for no apparent reason.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    How do you break the continue save feature and not fix it? My God. And they want me to buy Thrones, no thanks.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

It's so disheartening. I'm seriously questioning if I have it in me to push through this rubbish time and again.

CA didn't released a patch for the game itself and no core files have been changed. It is only the Attila Mod Launcher which got updated. So this is really strange.

I checked all this on my machine too. I can still see and use the "continue campaign" button, all mods are working and no re-download or self-removal of already installed mods happenend recently.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    Have they been removed in the normal data folder or in the new special workshop content folder? What happens if you subscribe again to these mods and where do they get downloaded again?

1. The 'continue campaign' function still doesn't work.
    2. Deleting mods often causes some other mods to re-download. I can't see any consistency or pattern as to which mods will do that though.
    3. This may just be my perception, but occasionally random mods select themselves and I have to scroll through the launcher to unselect them. Now I always scroll through the mods on the launcher before selecting play.
    ...later that day.
    All sorts of weird stuff happened to my launcher today. Mods activated themselves, png images went missing, a swathe of mods were updated for no reason. That's increasing par for the course, I suppose. Here's the kicker though: an overhaul mod that I'd been working on for weeks has suddenly stopped working and now crashes to desktop every time. It had worked perfectly well a couple of hours prior and I hadn't touched any of its files since. I have no idea where to start looking for the source of the crash through its 700+ mb of files and quite frankly I'm wondering why I bother.
    Indeed this sounds very frustrating regarding old save games, your not working "continue campaign" button and the suddenly not working mod that you created recently.

Probably you did this already, but sometimes it helps to check the integrity in such cases as this sounds like a broken or partly corrupted installation of Attila.

Crash of the game:

If your game crashes you could re-download changed "vanilla" files and verify the integrity of the game:

> Open Steam > click on my games > right-click on Attila > left-click on properties > then look for the Local files tab and click on Verify the integrity of the game cache

There you can re-check the integrity of your Attila files. It takes some time, but after updating you have again all proper vanilla files.

Also some additional infos about save games and the custom battle crashes.

If the custom battle screen crashes, then please remove all files in these two folders below:

C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Attila\battle_preferences

C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Attila\army_setups

I also created a mod which fixes custom battle crashes regarding using big unit packs together:

Attila Custom Battle Crash Fix

Create a backup of your save games before using unit packs. If you install an unit pack and then play a campaign, the IDs of the custom units stay in the save game. If you remove later an unit pack in your ongoing campaign, then the save game can't be loaded correctly if there are recruited custom units in the armies from you or the AI.

C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Attila\save_games

Thank you, Swiss. Good advice and you deserve a lot of credit beyond mere rep points for your work and discussions with CA.

Thank you, Swiss. Good advice and you deserve a lot of credit beyond mere rep points for your work and discussions with CA.
    Thanks a lot Theramines and I hope this helped you a bit.

I received good news and clarifications from Creative Assembly. They appreciated the help of the TWC community to help figuring out and fixing all issues in the Attila mod launcher.

- All these issues have been already fixed by Creative Assembly in the Attila mod launcher
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- No new mods could be published on the Steam Workshop due to "Mod update Error 2".
    - No existing mods could be updated due to "Mod update Error 2".
    - Non Steam Mods which are manually installed in the data folder couldn't be loaded correctly and didn't appear in the mod launcher

- The Attila mod launcher issue with the cut-off texts in the Steam thread description while updating a mod will be fixed.

- This is the clarification from Creative Assembly about the new mod installation behaviour by the Steam workshop. This new behaviour is controlled and forced exclusively by Steam and not by Creative Assembly. This new behaviour will be used for upcoming Total War titles too.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

ATTILA mod installation behaviour

OLD Mods (updated or released before the last launcher update) are still in the normal Attila data folder:

NEW Mods (updated or released after the last launcher update) will be only stored in this folder below and they will be deleted in the Attila data folder of the subscribers:

MANUALLY installed mods can be still used in the normal Attila data folder.

Creative Assembly will also use the recent help and fixes from the Attila mod launcher to improve the mod launchers of other Total War games.

- There are upcoming updates planned for the mod launchers of Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2. These updates will also feature fixes and the removal of the Steam workshop Megabyte upload limit.

- These updates and fixes will be also included in the upcoming new historical games Thrones of Britannia and Three Kingdoms.

There are no release dates confirmed for these updates, but Creative Assembly works hard to release them as soon as possible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast