Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are the rules about the Chinese Med2 mods? They charge money - we can release for free?

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default What are the rules about the Chinese Med2 mods? They charge money - we can release for free?

Hello, i am wondering what the rules are about the chinese mods for Medieval II.

- I am not getting paid for my work on mods, and i refuse therefore to pay others for their mods - isn't it illegal for sites such as Wanmod to charge money?

If so, then the permissions of their owners should not really be needed because they only hand out permissions to those who pay?

And as such, it should be perfectly fine to upload a translated chinese mod on moddb even without having paid for it?
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Default Re: What are the rules about the Chinese Med2 mods? They charge money - we can release for free?

I have fixed the english version of "Republic of China 1.0" but moddb removed the page created by user dallian after i tried to get an article published.

- This was probably due to dallian trying to sell the mod on his page back in octobre as well as uploading his whole version of Medieval II.

- My article included two files needed for the mod to start, as well as pointed people to the Mediafire-download with said mod. Dallian, while trying to get people to buy the mod at first - did in-fact release a version for free after getting critizised heavily by everyone in the comments.

Now - i got no explanation of why the article was removed instead of published, but i guess it became "collateral damage" when the site got removed due to MODDB not liking dallians earlier comments and the link to a Mediafire upload of Med2.

However, there is an earlier mod-page for the same mod created by somebody else - and anyone can upload articles and mods to it.

- I have the English version fully working.

I have gotten no reply here or at MODDB so i will try uploading a similar article again on this site which doesn't have any selling attempts on it unlike the other one. I don't believe mods should be keept from the public - and paying is illegal so i don't see it as stealing. Otherwise i should probably start demanding money for work i've done too..

So no, the Chinese modders have no right to demand money.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Default Re: What are the rules about the Chinese Med2 mods? They charge money - we can release for free?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to translate the Chinese mod and allow access to the ModDB community, Mr_Nygren!

that guy, seriously, I dunno what he was trying to achieve..

in any case, you can open a new page for the mod: while being creator, you give credits to the original developers ... (although is very unclear who started the mod in the Chinese community) ?!?
    Maybe someone here on TWC could give some better insights... (?)

Quote Originally Posted by rafmc1989 View Post
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to translate the Chinese mod and allow access to the ModDB community, Mr_Nygren!

that guy, seriously, I dunno what he was trying to achieve..

in any case, you can open a new page for the mod: while being creator, you give credits to the original developers ... (although is very unclear who started the mod in the Chinese community) ?!?
    Maybe someone here on TWC could give some better insights... (?)
    Actually, i did not translate it - that guy who tried to sell it did.. But i did download the mod using the Mediafire-link that he provided for free, then i fixed the issue preventing people from starting the mod or entering the campaign.

- It had the same issue as that "Sigh Empire"-mod, which means i can now play the mod - but the translation is not the best.

It's all english text but not very good english.. It's like the guy used Google Translate.. I could improve it.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 13, 2018 at 06:46 PM.

- The Havamal

"(although is very unclear who started the mod in the Chinese community) ?!?"

Yes, i have no clue and won't have any idea who to credit for the mod itself.

- The Havamal

mmh, I see then...

well maybe some Chinese friend of TWC could give us some explanations...
    btw, ok, gonna see when you publish on ModDB...

Gigantus's Avatar I don't have gray hair. I have "wisdom highlights".
    Artifex

Blog Entries

While the 'sale' of a mod might not be legal the permission principle still applies - without permission from the author you are bound to run into objections, meaning at a supported claim from the author your upload will get removed and possibly further action be taken.

In other words - just because a mod might not be legal doesn't make it OK to rip it. Example: I obtained permission from the team that published the banned RTW mod for 'Rise of three Kingdoms' to port it into a legal M2TW mod. In my case the authors were happy to give permissions in exchange for incorporating their logo and giving credit.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 14, 2018 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    While the 'sale' of a mod might not be legal the permission principle still applies - without permission from the author you are bound to run into objections, meaning at a supported claim from the author your upload will get removed and possibly further action be taken.

In other words - just because a mod might not be legal doesn't make it OK to rip it. Example: I obtained permission from the team that published the banned RTW mod for 'Rise of three Kingdoms' to port it into a legal M2TW mod. In my case the authors were happy to give permissions in exchange for incorporating their logo and giving credit.
    I see - at first i thought the mod worked fine but there are some issues as well.

1. It would CTD at a certain part of the map when moving the mouse to that area, which makes the mod hard to play.

2. It locks itself up loading next-turn between turn 7 and 8 - due to these issues i believe it wouldn't be worth it with an upload and as such i didn't upload it yesterday.

As for your answer i guess i would then need the creators permission, which they are likely not giving due to them wanting money from their project - and a release would also be available for Chinese i guess, even though it would be in badly translated english.

- Custom battles work fine but are not very balanced in my opinion.

- The Campaign is looking great and without said issues would be interesting.

- Models are gorgeous as are the custom settlements of Chinese factions - the models for Japanese, US, British, Soviets and the French plus some Chinese could all be used in a WW2 mod - but tanks, airplanes and european custom settlements are still not there.

I believe though that the infantry, cavalry and artillery units work really well for such a mod - as well as building pics which are 99% replaced - and strat-models which are also like 98 % replaced.

I did start a let's play which CTD three times due to the map-issue, and also locked itself up on turn 7 to 8. I could post it with a custom battle as well to just preview what i saw. It's pretty different and without the issues i would have gladly played a campaign as the Japanese Empire.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 15, 2018 at 02:11 AM.

- The Havamal

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 15, 2018 at 03:50 PM.

- The Havamal

1. It would CTD at a certain part of the map when moving the mouse to that area, which makes the mod hard to play.

Maybe, (but guessing, as I didn't play it) the CTD when moving on map could be because of wrong textures used for the campaign map, something like the size of a chosen texture is not recognized by the engine (i.e. instead of a 512x512 pixels file there could be a file with a format rejeted by the game)... maybe can help to find the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    Yes, i have no clue and won't have any idea who to credit for the mod itself.
    Actually, while a rudimentary search for the mod name revealed at least two different versions, the one that you have posted is the "much more polished" (for the lack of a better term) version of the two produced by a prolific Chinese team: Moon and Stars Studio (日月星辰制作组, which actually translates to Sun, Moon, and Stars Studio). So there is someone to credit.

- Models are gorgeous as are the custom settlements of Chinese factions - the models for Japanese, US, British, Soviets and the French plus some Chinese could all be used in a WW2 mod - but tanks, airplanes and european custom settlements are still not there.
    The same search also showed that triplanes and tanks do exist in a mod titled: Republic of China 1931, which shared the same menu as the "less polished" version of 1924 as they are both created by the same team (Bohu Studio, or 伯虎制作).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The vast majority of the Chinese mods that I have seen are locked behind paywalls and/or site memberships, even those labelled as "free" by their hosting websites. This is rather unfortunate as there are some interesting contents on those websites, including quality Chinese translations for existing English mods.

If allowed, I could post more findings of my investigations for those curious (including links to Chinese forum sites containing more images).
    Last edited by Medusa0; February 15, 2018 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rafmc1989 View Post

Maybe, (but guessing, as I didn't play it) the CTD when moving on map could be because of wrong textures used for the campaign map, something like the size of a chosen texture is not recognized by the engine (i.e. instead of a 512x512 pixels file there could be a file with a format rejeted by the game)... maybe can help to find the issue
    Thanks man, i will try to look into it.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa0 View Post
    Actually, while a rudimentary search for the mod name revealed at least two different versions, the one that you have posted is the "much more polished" (for the lack of a better term) version of the two produced by a prolific Chinese team: Moon and Stars Studio (日月星辰制作组, which actually translates to Sun, Moon, and Stars Studio). So there is someone to credit.

The same search also showed that triplanes and tanks do exist in a mod titled: Republic of China 1931, which shared the same menu as the "less polished" version of 1924 as they are both created by the same team (Bohu Studio, or 伯虎制作).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The vast majority of the Chinese mods that I have seen are locked behind paywalls and/or site memberships, even those labelled as "free" by their hosting websites. This is rather unfortunate as there are some interesting contents on those websites, including quality Chinese translations for existing English mods.

If allowed, I could post more findings of my investigations for those curious (including links to Chinese forum sites containing more images).
    Hello there, what i meant was that i do not have any clue about who the individual is who can give out permissions for the mod.

- Also, as a non-chinese speaker i mistook "Moon and Stars" as the name of the project and did not understand the name refered to the actual group behind the mod. Did you search on Google? I created an account over at that site but even after using google translate it's hard to find any download-links or such.

About the 1931-mod - do you have a download-link to the chinese version?

That one seems to be even more interesting in terms of the units. WW1 tanks and aircraft are still better than no such things . - Could probably be ported to 1924 from 1931.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 15, 2018 at 11:10 PM.

- The Havamal

About the 1931-mod - do you have a download-link to the chinese version?
    Sent you a pm, I would still exercise caution when using these sites though.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa0 View Post
    Sent you a pm, I would still exercise caution when using these sites though.
    Hello, thanks for the link .

The mod is free, the Baidu-account is also free up to 5gb of downloads - but the problem is the mod is at 6.39gb. Also, i can't translate the program unlike the websites - so it's harder to understand the buttons of the program.

- Downloading 1931 now but i am afraid it will not download the full mod without reaching the limit. I used to have a mastercard bankcard back in octobre and had for over eight years - but due to Sweden's racism i have been put under a guardian - and new rules have removed from me the right to use a mastercard.

My bankcard only works in Sweden. So i think i will probably get trouble with downloading the full mod. We'll see.

- The Havamal

Good news:

I managed to download the whole 1931 mod for free in chinese. While it has issues and CTD whenever trying to enter the campaign or changing settings in the options menu, it still worked to look at units in custom battles.

- Let's just say they have some additional units that could be used - including American artillery, Republic of China soldiers with german Stahlhelms, cool WW1 tanks for the more modern factions such as the Europeans and Japan and the airplanes but their animations suck. I will try to add cantabrian circle to them and if i can manage to make them fly while shooting they may be added to 1924 otherwise i don't think so. But the tanks and some units sure!

- As for 1924 i managed to get past the turn 7 to turn 8 bug and could play over 41 turns without a crash - it still hasn't crashed but i got tired. I just removed all the scripts from the scripts-file and it worked fine.

Maybe some of the scripts would work but without scripts the mod is fine and stable at least for 41 turns, and i did play at least two siegebattles and two battles in the field.

- There are some issues and bugs such as a horse-unit for the Republic of China where the riders are standing, a rebel infantry-unit with glitched textures, and the issue with the portraits for starting Kvantum troops.

The map-issue is not a problem, as long as one doesn't move around the map too much at the same time. I choose to move only short distances and click on the map to move, rather than moving by using the arrows on the keyboard. It might still CTD but if one is careful there should be no problems.

Now, i need to fix the bugs and then add the tanks and additional stuff before it will be worth a let's play. Then i do think we need better starting armies for it to be fun - as in starting with full armies instead of just policemen everywhere. I guess some people like to start with one type and build everyting up.. I do like to start with at least one or two armies with most or all units, in this timeline the artillery is not uncommon from the start. Also, not really fun when your infantry is massacred while running due to the enemy using gunners on the walls or artillery.

- Would be easier if one had a diverse army from the start and of course the AI should too. Anyway, i would need permission from that team in order to release the english version to the public. I could of course link anyone to the Mediafire link by that dallian guy if interested - PM me if that is the case. However, it still has the issues so you'd need to get the animations and the daymio.cas file for the mod to start and the campaign to load.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 16, 2018 at 11:44 PM.

- The Havamal

Gigantus's Avatar I don't have gray hair. I have "wisdom highlights".
    Artifex

Blog Entries

Ah yes, the Chinese horse acrobats - the soldier unit is missing a horse\mount allocation\animation in modeldb

Scroll crash - my guess is with a large sized map and lots of rivers

Good to know there is some way to see it available in public!... despite some issues, yes they will be fixed thorugh time, no doubt!

I have this mods and have version 1.1. I can for version 1.0 run because it is need a font of chinese and it is never free because it need must pay money to mods can runs. I am dallians

Some Chinese modder tried to earn money from sell mods,but it doesn't means all Chinese modder do these thing.
    Most of profit mod use some resource made by me,I tried to forbid them use,but failed. For now, I haven't time and energy to argue with these guys.
    In addition,most of these profit mods are made by Chinese nationalists,they don't know much about history and Chinese history,I think most of these mods are not worth to play,they just have different unit models,but have the same mechanism.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast