Thread: STAINLESS STEEL 6.4 - BALANCE + 2 FACTIONS + UNITS TWEAKS AND MORE (LATE GAME MOD) !

Default STAINLESS STEEL 6.4 - BALANCE + 2 FACTIONS + UNITS TWEAKS AND MORE (LATE GAME MOD) !

Hello everyone!
    For the last year or so, I've been tweaking and changing stuff in Medieval SS 6.4, with the only purpose to make it completely balanced,
    competitive and focused on Mid-Late game (which usually is when the game got boring...).
    During this course, I also changed a ton of other small things, completely REMOVED the MONGOLS and TIMURIDS (yeah, I hated those,
    they always do the same thing - kill 2-3 nations, capture stuff, die out...) and added two very important (historically) nations on their places,
    although I am not a professional modder, so I used merc and units from other nations for those.
    Thus I named this submod Campaign:

THE RISE OF BULGARIA (or Khan Omurtag's Tweak and Balance mod for SS 6.4)
    (play on VH/VH ALWAYS!!!)

Its hard for me to completely remember everything I changed, added etc over all this time, but
    I can assure you (despite some minor visual matters, which someone with modding experience may
    fix if he like this mod) that this makes the game as you always wanted it to be! More units, everyone
    having equal chance from all nations, completely unpredictable and competative every time you replay it!
    Just try it and you will see, guys.

So what it does?

1. MONGOLS & TIMURIDS REMOVED. INSTEAD - SECOND BULGARIAN EMPIRE (Balkan state, highly developed
    in Medieval times, Orthodox) & KAZAN KHANATE - Volga Bulgaria (the other Bulgaria on the Volga river, which lasted
    till 1600, being one of the most developed Musliim countries to the east.)
    * Used the Timurids units for the Volga Bulgaria nation, since they used similar tactics, added arquebusiers which
    they used historical sources claim and some more units from mercs and other nations.
    * Used Merc and other nations units for the Second Bulgarian Empire, they are focused on light cavalry, heavy infantry
    and good mid-game units, making a very interesting choice.

2. ADDED 4-5 UNITS FOR EACH OTHER NATION (more or less) from merc pools, other nations, etc. All located in different buildings.
    * For example if you are playing Hungary, you may recruit some western unit mercs from your docklands (lets say longbowmen) at high price, low spawn rate. If you are Persians (Kwaermazian empire) you can recruit Bedouin camels from your caravansarays, located in deserts, etc etc. This adds much more diversity and fun when playing any nation and still tries to keep some sort of historical accuracy. I didnt like the fact that some nations have lets say 15 units, others - 30. Now everyone have a bit more.

3. ADDED SOME BUILDINGS, EDITED OTHERS (WONDERS MOSTLY) - now the wonders give rly good benefits globally (usually pop growth, income, religion, etc), so one should really focus on capturing some of those to boost his nation globally. (as long as he can hold it for a while...) The Bulgarians on the Balkans have lets say Balkan banks (a bit weaker than casual ones, but still they had nice economy those days), etc.

4. TWEAKED ALL SETTLEMENT MECHANICS TO PERFECTION. - City population is now realistic (not like 20 000 ppl livin in constantinopole before). You start with really low pop, if u keep generals inside, keep low taxes, make farms you will vastly
    increase the pop of the settlement (reachin 500-600k in the major cities is now happening) and if u keep high taxes, no generals - pop wont grow at all. Ive reduced tax income to balance it out after many tries into late game, Public order is now much more relative to havin governors, taxes, buildings etc too. Castles give a it more money than before (lets say 20-30%), so nations with more castles than cities wont stagnate that much. (cos the AI never converts castles into cities when it dont need them anymore). Overall, its great.

5. TWEAKED STATS OF MANY UNITS - For example each General Bodyguard type (eastern, western, muslim etc) now has different stats (before they were the same kinda). For example Western have more Armor, Russians have more charge and speed, muslim have more close combat damage, etc etc.
    *Added RANGE to all ARCHERS, MUSKETS, CANONS, SIEGE WEAPONS etc - now they can actually shoot 2-3 times before being engaged, which is much more realistic. Before, they made 1-2 shots and the enemy was next to them, kinda lame. Having archers, artillery etc is much more profitable now if u control it well.

6. CHANGED SOME MAP STUFF - like since Engalnd and Scotland never went into Ireland, I gave Dublin to Brits and the other castle there to scotland. Now they are neck to neck on both islands there.

*Changed some castles into cities (which were useless as castles, cos of position) so now nations, which had too much castles before and no economy will feel better.

*Changed the colors of many nations on minimap and removed borders, so its really neat looking now. (Playing with the *nofog command in console will make this game feel a lot like Europa Universalis as you will see everything in real time. Of course if you do this, enable Permanent Watchtowers from the SS 6.4 launcher options thingy, so the AI has vision too (I think)).

*Completely removed the benefits, purses and stuff that killed the balance in the game (added some buildings for trade etc to weaker nations instead) so now everyone gets as much money per turn as he produces. Early game it starts slow, people fight with trash armies, slowly gatherin armies, then it becomes a massacre as time goes by.

*Events are edited for perfect gameplay experience (not historical one)! This is VERY IMPORTANT. IF YOU WANT HISTORICAL ACCURACY - not ur mod. IF YOU WANT PERFECT GAME EXPERIENCE - this is it! The armor upgrades, gunpowder discoveries etc come much faster and still like 30-35 turns separated, thus slowly addin new units to ur pool. Which leads me to:

*OLDER UNITS DO NOT DISAPPEAR FROM YOUR RECRUIT POOLS! Yeah, I hated this. What if I wanted to recruit ing arquebusiers when everyone uses muskets? Maybe i was a weaker nation? Or replenish my lost arquebusiers, who are really experienced? Well now you are free to recruit anything - from mailed knights in 1700, to scotish highland rabble against cannons. AI DOES IT TOO. Its great, I tell you.

*OTTOMANS DONT SUCK ANYMORE. - Yeah, before they did nothing everytime I replay the game. Now they Have more units, more stuff, overall they do pretty well everytime. And since there are no Mongols and stuff, they end up fightin either with the Persians or with Byzantium.

*DIPLOMACY CHANGED - no more same stuff in diplo too. Now everyone can ally with everyone randomly, if the current situation offers that chance. Yes, christian nations will ally more with cristhian nations, but its not the same damn wheel everytime like before, sometimes the russians will atack the vikings, other times they will be their allies etc. You cant cheat your way into ceasefire anymore and then atack again over and over again (if ur at war with someone), unless you have tons of more stuff. Before I used this exploit all the time and made the game really easy for me on VH/VH.

*MAP RESOURCES GIVE A BIT MORE MONEY NOW - before they were useless. Now they are ok. Having merchants is fun, if you can hold the gold, silver etc.

*There are many other small tweaks, which I cant sadly remember right now, but Im sure you will find them over the course of your gameplay and enjoy this as much as I did. Yes, there are some problems and historical inaccuracies, but who cares - this is the game as a hardcore gamer would like it to be, after playing it for years. Its like playing online versus other players. Some units may miss skins in battle (if you happen to see this, please just reply here and Ill add the skins, its nothing serious, theyll just look gray in combat, but you wont crash or anything.) This is because I forgot to add the skins of 4-5 units and then I forgot which ones were they with time, lol. What else, Bulgaria on the Balkans uses the Mongols flags, while the Volga Bulgaria - the timurids ones, so if one knows how to make flags, please write to me so we can make this look better with actual flags, cos I didnt find how to do it. Stuff like that. The crusaders have that Palma island now from start too (near spain), so they dont die that easy (no matter what I tried, they always died out if AI...). But its the complete package that matters - perfectly balanced and random experience everytime.

I dont know how to make self extractor stuff as well, so I just made an Archive with all the files I've edited, you will have to copy paste those in their relative locations :
    (Medieval/Mods/SS6.3/Data for most, rest - Medieval/Mods/SS6.3/Data/Campaign/Early). Im sure you can find them one by one, its not much stuff. If someone can make a self extractor thingy for me, would be happy. I just wanted to share this with you guys, cos I dont know if I'll have a laptop after some weeks and better have it here for hardcore folks like myself. With time it can become even better.

The site lets me upload only files up to 10 mb, so I had to use external upload site.
    Once you copy paste everything, just run your SS 6.4 launcher,select early campaign (named Rise of Bulgaria now) and SAVAGE AI + Permanent watchtowers (if you will use the *nofog command in game, which I recommend for Europa Universalis kind of experience). Ingame always select VH/VH difficulty, as thats what Ive edited.

Here is a link to the rar - MOD DOWNLOAD LINK (14.2.2018 updated) ---> https://ufile.io/cju6c

Yours,
    Khan Omurtag

Last edited by Navajo Joe; February 14, 2018 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Poster's Request

Marble Emperor's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: STAINLESS STEEL 6.4 - BALANCE + 2 FACTIONS + UNITS TWEAKS AND MORE (LATE GAME MOD) !

Very interesting, I'm currently downloading it to give it a try. I should mention that I am actually working on a mod with a similar goal and scope currently. My main area of expertise lies in unit production and artwork though, so I'm somewhat limited when it comes to modifying many aspects of the campaign. I am learning as I go though, and I can show you some pics of my work up to this point if you'd like to see them. And if you'd have any interest in coordinating with me to make a more complete late era campaign please message me, I'm looking for any help I can get. Anyhow, even if you have no interest in further modding endeavors, thank you for sharing this, I know how much work goes into things like this and I really appreciate it!

Default Re: STAINLESS STEEL 6.4 - BALANCE + 2 FACTIONS + UNITS TWEAKS AND MORE (LATE GAME MOD) !

Quote Originally Posted by Marble Emperor View Post
    Very interesting, I'm currently downloading it to give it a try. I should mention that I am actually working on a mod with a similar goal and scope currently. My main area of expertise lies in unit production and artwork though, so I'm somewhat limited when it comes to modifying many aspects of the campaign. I am learning as I go though, and I can show you some pics of my work up to this point if you'd like to see them. And if you'd have any interest in coordinating with me to make a more complete late era campaign please message me, I'm looking for any help I can get. Anyhow, even if you have no interest in further modding endeavors, thank you for sharing this, I know how much work goes into things like this and I really appreciate it!
    Hey man, let me know if it start all well and if you find any issues, please write here (Im not sure if I put all the files I edited in the rar, so if something is missing |(like texts etc in game), just let me know so I can add those files too. If you get any crashes too, write here after checking the system log file in the ss 6.3 folder so I can fix those too.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do and I would love some help of you. Mostly if you can make banners and colors for the two new nations so I dont use other nation ones. If you can add completely new units too would be great. Have fun!

Greetings again!
    Since I cannot edit my main post for some reason, here is the link to a better RAR file, with a READ ME and Files locations included. I had missed 4-5 files in the first one, so please use this one, as it adds the accents, texts etc for the new nations.
    Read the READ ME file instructions, which are at its end and if you have questions or find any problems, Im here to reply.

MOD DOWNLOAD LINK (14.2.2018 updated) ---> https://ufile.io/cju6c

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Khan,

You need about 25 posts to be able to edit, do you want me to go and remove the d/l link from your first post?

Navajo Joe

SS Forum Moderator

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Buffing up archers in M2TW or SS is silly, they are already very useful, you will make them overpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamlaz View Post
    Buffing up archers in M2TW or SS is silly, they are already very useful, you will make them overpowered.
    Hi!
    After playing it for ages, I realized the animations they use for shooting etc are way too slow. In a normal combat (e.g when not under siege), they would shoot one-two times maximum, before the enemy infantry or cav charge them. It felt silly.
    Thus, Ive buffed their range mostly (with 20_25%) and damage with 1 point on most. They are not overpowered at all, as Ive tried it a million times now, it actually feels great and much more realistic.
    Cheers and hope you enjoy this gem.

To all folks that have downloaded the mod now, please post any auggestions, questions and problems here.

Ill be releasing a small patch soon, to further balance the taxes,pop growth and settlement mechanics overall.
    If someone can make unique flags for the Second Bulgarian Empire and the Volga bulgarians by then, write me a private message, would be great.
    Enjoy

So this is the promised patch 1.01.
    https://ufile.io/ln0j6
    Please read the READ ME file for info.
    Also keep sending me messages with the new units, that you find for the nations that you play, so I can make a list with them and include them into the description of the mod itself.
    I just dont remember all of them so need a bit of help on that one. Make sure to check all your buildings, as some will appear in Churches, Docks, Caravansarays etc. and in Mid, Late game as well.
    The Khan