Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shouldn't the Thracians and Getae have Hellenistic-style cities? Not barbarian ones?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Shouldn't the Thracians and Getae have Hellenistic-style cities? Not barbarian ones?

Quote Originally Posted by MaryHarris View Post
    Photos are great, thanks for sharing!
    You're very welcome, dude-bro.

Default Re: Shouldn't the Thracians and Getae have Hellenistic-style cities? Not barbarian ones?

I'm bumping this thread, because I'm still unsatisfied that the Thracians live in Celtic oppida in our EBII mod. Surely someone can tackle this, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I'm bumping this thread, because I'm still unsatisfied that the Thracians live in Celtic oppida in our EBII mod. Surely someone can tackle this, right?
    It makes sense though, the start of EB 2 is shortly after the massive Galatian invasion of the Balkans and Thrace was one of the most affected areas but worse is that while the Galatians were kicked out of Greece and Macedonia as an invasion force, in Thrace they settled and they even established a kingdom there.

So that's why I think that inner thrace is Celtic in appearence rather than Hellenistic in style of architecture.

Of course, they became Hellenized but you can't represent this Hellenization and see a more hellenistic type of architecture at the later stages of the game since there isn't a "evolution" in the game and the same goes to Galatia because at the end of the game they were pretty much hellenes in culture but they conserved their languages.

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonMaster View Post
    It makes sense though, the start of EB 2 is shortly after the massive Galatian invasion of the Balkans and Thrace was one of the most affected areas but worse is that while the Galatians were kicked out of Greece and Macedonia as an invasion force, in Thrace they settled and they even established a kingdom there.

So that's why I think that inner thrace is Celtic in appearence rather than Hellenistic in style of architecture.

Of course, they became Hellenized but you can't represent this Hellenization and see a more hellenistic type of architecture at the later stages of the game since there isn't a "evolution" in the game and the same goes to Galatia because at the end of the game they were pretty much hellenes in culture but they conserved their languages.
    Suppose one way of doing it (theoretically) would be to enable the higher-level stuff in the Getai building tree but lock it so that it's only buildable after a Hellenisation reform. Not quite sure how it'd work but it's a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivir Baggins View Post
    Suppose one way of doing it (theoretically) would be to enable the higher-level stuff in the Getai building tree but lock it so that it's only buildable after a Hellenisation reform. Not quite sure how it'd work but it's a thought.
    Interesting! I could see that working.

Interesting! I could see that working.
    Especially as they can use the Hellenistic models for the buildings that haven't been coded for barbs yet (and never will). I'm just not entirely sure if it'll work, but if an Illyrian faction gets added that sort of Barb->Hellenic transition will need adding. It's a thought.

Genava's Avatar Senator

LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

It's a very good idea and exposition. Thanks Roma! Keep going

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    It's a very good idea and exposition. Thanks Roma! Keep going
    Thanks! It's an interesting subject to me and one I think could be reexamined for the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    Well, well, there always has to be a turd in the punch bowl, doesn't there?

I don't really see this as contradicting anything I've put forth. If anything it just reinforces what I said before about Grecian-style market towns in Thrace. Notice also how your extract cuts off after explaining Seuthopolis, but begins to explain the "polis" of Helis in the lands of the Getae. In either case your extract also doesn't really do anything to contradict information about the other settlements I've mentioned. Care to talk about them? No? You don't want to? You don't have a rebuttal for those ones? Hmm?

Genava's Avatar Senator

Thanks! It's an interesting subject to me and one I think could be reexamined for the mod.

Well, well, there always has to be a turd in the punch bowl, doesn't there?

I don't really see this as contradicting anything I've put forth. If anything it just reinforces what I said before about Grecian-style market towns in Thrace. Notice also how your extract cuts off after explaining Seuthopolis, but begins to explain the "polis" of Helis in the lands of the Getae. In either case your extract also doesn't really do anything to contradict information about the other settlements I've mentioned. Care to talk about them? No? You don't want to? You don't have a rebuttal for those ones? Hmm?
    You don't know how to open a pdf file?

Honestly I didn't have read entirely this document I made yet. It was not done for you or for the EBteam, I only see that a debate started here and I wanted to give you an academic text to the subject. The two screenshots were made a few month ago, therefore it was not against you.

I will not made a statement without taking the time to read everything.

Good reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    You don't know how to open a pdf file?

Honestly I didn't have read entirely this document I made yet. It was not done for you or for the EBteam, I only see that a debate started here and I wanted to give you an academic text to the subject. The two screenshots were made a few month ago, therefore it was not against you.

I will not made a statement without taking the time to read everything.

Good reading.
    Oh. Apparently I interpreted your post incorrectly, then. From what it looked like to me, you entered the thread and posted the single page above in a sort of passive aggressive way to dismiss Seuthopolis as not being a real city, focusing only on that site while ignoring others. In either case it introduces a lively debate about the Thracian sites.

Genava's Avatar Senator

Oh. Apparently I interpreted your post incorrectly, then. From what it looked like to me, you entered the thread and posted the single page above in a sort of passive aggressive way to dismiss Seuthopolis as not being a real city, focusing only on that site while ignoring others. In either case it introduces a lively debate about the Thracian sites.
    Sorry I should have written a message more neutral. I hope the document will help you (there are bookmark in the pdf version to navigate easily).

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

I am late to the party but 3ds max is completely free for students last I checked and anybody who is only using it for educational or non profit purposes.

Link:
    https://www.autodesk.com/education/f...ftware/3ds-max
    Last edited by z3n; January 03, 2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: link
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    I am late to the party but 3ds max is completely free for students last I checked and anybody who is only using it for educational or non profit purposes.

Link:
    https://www.autodesk.com/education/f...ftware/3ds-max
    Doesn't the team work with 3DS Max 2010? Can we work unit models with 3DS MAX 2019? And do you know about any recent tutorial for that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12