Thread: CTD with crash message twice after great change in Export_Descr_buildings.txt

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Default CTD with crash message twice after great change in Export_Descr_buildings.txt

I get 2 kind of rare type of CTD recently after I edit export_descr_buildings.txt to make buildings interact with one another to generate bonus and recruit units. While I have success in implement multiple building requirements for units like in MTW in RTW, I start to get trouble when working on bonus part.

1) I get CTD which just exit game without any error message or warning, just instant exit. I get it only once and could not recreate it again.

2) After I found that bonus description when using buildings as condition for bonus to make buildings interact to one another, I found that bonus description is messy. So I try to move all those interacting bonus to 3rd party building which seal display of those bonus from player's eyes and replace bonus message with text instead. As I gradually move those bonus with bugged display to 3rd party monument building trees by trees, I start encounter rare type of ctd which prompt crash message twice (ask for exit or debug) before exit from games. I get this problem so often and it is gamebreaking.

Anyone who know about this kind of problem please share knowledge with me so that I could fix or avoiding this problem from occuring again.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: CTD with crash message twice after great change in Export_Descr_buildings.txt

1) How long is your text?
    2) Is only a certain length of text causing the crash?
    3) What is your bonus text exactly and how many are there?
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Default Re: CTD with crash message twice after great change in Export_Descr_buildings.txt

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    1) How long is your text?
    2) Is only a certain length of text causing the crash?
    3) What is your bonus text exactly and how many are there?
    1) 5372 kb
    2) Yes. I just found that main reason for double crash ctd at some point due to building which I declare base bonuses = 0 could not be the same building that I stack of indirect bonus involved several buildings as condition. It would cause double crash message ctd at some point when running game if line involve those bonus (+ or -) are many enough. And at around 400 lines of bonuses, it ctd at campaign loading. When split to more than one buildings, ctd at campaign loading nolonger occur, but double crash message ctd is not solved until I move declare base value of bonus to core building instead of share the same hinterland building monument as other indirect conditions. There is no this kind of problem when using with recruitment line apart from what had already report (ctd on ai turn or right click if not use UI or \n on title to push provide part off-screen, and ctd when building contain bonus line), I put 6000+ lines of recruitment line with several buildings as part of condition (a lot of line due to they have alternative condition for several levels of exp bonus at deployment) all problem that I get more is just that building could nolonger able to right click to show building browser description anymore although I have already push all those line off-screen.

3) How many indirect lines which I put on the same buildings? 6000+ lines for recruitments part (factional units & ships) and bonus lines on 2 hinterland buildings first one is 230+ lines, second one is 360+ lines. There will be more lines in the future for bonus part due to process of make them indirect to fix problem in bonus display and make bonus which change as other buildings change still not yet complete.

Current status: now it is much better but still have flawed of ctd after several run of auto-games. So maybe that there is limit of how much total bonus in settlement could go positive or negative, go too much positive or negative could cause ctd. As all those bonuses are fine when them all spread across several buildings (but building browser display of those bonus lines are aesthetically unbearable messy)

If you want to see file, contact me through some other channel like skype or email, I could provide you to see that file privately.
    Last edited by Suppanut; February 13, 2018 at 10:17 PM.

Problem solved.

Summary of problem:
    There are too many bonus line with valid conditions in single buildings of each settlement.

Cause of problem:
    I write bonus with several condition and simplified by thought by allow each lines to stack up condition, so for fulfilled building for 1 building tree, I spend several lines to stack their bonus up/down. This cause many valid lines in each of this building in each settlements and problem of twice crash message likely to be memory problem.

Solution:
    Write condition for bonus which fulfilled in its own line or use as few lines as possible in single buildings if you want to indirect or hide bonus thorugh put on other buildings (building_present/building_present_min_level). Either simplified your plan or write extremely complex condition to make whole type of bonus fulfilled within single line and valid only one per condition type at the time would work.

Result from Solution:
    No ctd after long game (275 BCE to 29 BCE)

Conclusion:
    1) There seem to be limit in number of valid bonus line in each building at the same time. But number lines that not valid at the time (but could valid elsewhere) seem to unlimit to me. I have no problem with 6000+ multiple-building requirement recruitment lines work indirectly through a single hinterland building without ctd due to they are likely to valid only for around 30-40 at the same time in single settlement at most. I also have other buildings which show bonus lines around 100+ lines without problem but too much still cause instability and double crash message ctd.
    2) Make sure line of bonus concise and use as few lines as possible to fulfilled condition you want building to be (no matter direct or indirect) as it would burden pc and memory in try to run and display condition (no matter how you attempt to hide it from sight of player)
    3) Double crash message ctd is memory-related ctd, not specific to condition. The bigger number of valid bonus lines in single buildings, the shorter time before game get this ctd.
    Last edited by Suppanut; February 18, 2018 at 05:00 AM.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Ok that's great, I'm glad you solved it.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Report update: 2 CTD messages in single ctd is happened when building has active bonus line more than 32 lines in the building in an settlement at the same time. Problem could be fix by make sure that bonus line would not valid more than 32 lines at the same time.

There could have more than 32 bonus lines in single building but it could only active in 32 at once in the same settlement and the same building.