Thread: SpaceX just launched a Tesla to Mars

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default SpaceX just launched a Tesla to Mars

You can watch it live too:

It's interesting in many respects: clearly they're testing the longevity and effectiveness of their new space suit. They're also getting live footage of how their car holds up under extreme and rapid temperature changes, as well as its resistance to space debris. This isn't just a publicity stunt, they're probably doing all sorts of things with this.

It's still mind boggling to think Elon Musk just left a legacy that will literally outlast Human civilization.

Default Re: SpaceX just launched a Tesla to Mars

Seems a waste just launch a Tesla:. They could have launched a number of scientific experiments, or perhaps even a paying satelite if the price was cheap. I know the rocket was untested and could of blown up, but I am sure some scientist would have been willing to get their experiment in orbit.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

For a test mission, launching a potentially expensive satellite into Mars/Asteroid Belt orbit that they have to upkeep isn't a good idea.

Besides, the success of his new Falcon Heavy has basically just made SpaceX the go-to for launches now for the entire planet. And he'll have his Saturn-V sized rocket rolling out in 4 years.

He has his rocket off the ground, while NASA is still working on their equivalent rocket.

Rather than focus on Mars, I wish someone would get a workig rocket/shuttle to take people to orbit, so we eon't have to keep paying the Russians a fortune to ride on their rocket.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

This link is related:
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/06/tech...le_hotListpool

Space Launch System NASA's SLS could be the most powerful rocket ever made. NASA is building the Space Launch System, a rocket designed to take people into deep space and potentially Mars. The space agency will be able to configure the rocket differently for each mission.
    Height: 322 - 365 feet (98.1 - 111.3 meters)
    Liftoff thrust: up to 11.9 million pounds (5 million kg)
    Capability: 150,000 - 290,000 pounds (70,000 - 130,000 kilograms) to LEO
    Planned payloads: Cargo, astronauts
    I clipped the NASA project out of the link. This is meant to be the new heavy launch vehicle of the near future. You will note the liftoff trust is a new and improved model replacing the Saturn V.

The prestige of it all is awesome.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Besides, the success of his new Falcon Heavy has basically just made SpaceX the go-to for launches now for the entire planet. And he'll have his Saturn-V sized rocket rolling out in 4 years.
    I was really hoping we'd move past rocket-based launches by 2022. It's the one aspect still stuck in the 1960s.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    I was really hoping we'd move past rocket-based launches by 2022. It's the one aspect still stuck in the 1960s.
    What difference where you expecting?
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

I do not know what Settra was expecting, but Star Trek the Motion Picture with the entire assembly in space sequence could still come to pass though a bit late. I think the special effects of the movies have us a bit jaded to how difficult these tasks really are. Like all activities, in the end it comes down to money and how well choose to spend both our own money and other peoples money.

Maybe engineering needs to become a required education no matter wtf you're gonna do in life.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    What difference where you expecting?
    Well I for one expect a space elevator. Nerds, assemble!
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Problem with space elevators is that we don't have a way to mass produce carbon nanontubes and graphene on a scale large enough to make such a project feasible (I work with Graphene and CNT's). We're still "hanging on the edge" of that "breakthrough." There's nothing else right now with the tensile strength, etc. capable of maintaining a surface-to-orbit tether.

The only alternative right now, one which actually could be done, is a surface-to-orbit railgun/coilgun. That would be fine for extremely durable cargo, but the g-force would smash humans and more "delicate" equipment and the electromagnetic field would fry any electronics.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/10/tech...ter/index.html

click the link for the article.

I did find this interesting:

So the orbit will come close to the earth orbit at some time in the future. Hmmm? I guess unless you launch with the intention of leaving the solar system, that you be a more less an expected result.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    I do not know what Settra was expecting, but Star Trek the Motion Picture with the entire assembly in space sequence could still come to pass though a bit late. I think the special effects of the movies have us a bit jaded to how difficult these tasks really are. Like all activities, in the end it comes down to money and how well choose to spend both our own money and other peoples money.
    I would have expected a reusable single stage to orbit rocket. not one that keeps dropping stages off it on the way to orbit. Even if the stages can later be retrieved, there will be the added expense of gathering those stages and reassembling them.

By now, we should have a rocket that goes into orbit and return and all we have to do is add fuel. Boeing had plans for such a rocket, the DCX, but NASA preferred to do business with Lockheed, who totally ed up the Shuttle replacement, so now we are stuck paying through the nose to have to ride with the Russians to get to the space station. NASA own equivalent to SpaceX heavy lift rocket is years off from launching, again being built by Lockhead.

The SpaceX rocket is nice, but it still can't match the Saturn V lift capacity, which was built 50 years ago.

For heavy payload, multi-stage rockets will stay, they're most efficient. I imagine that for low payloads, we might move on to something like VSS Enterprise-a smaller craft launched from airbreathing jet at high altitude, but for high payloads, such carrier might use up too much fuel anyway.

Multi-stage is most efficient in fuel, yes, but not necessarily in cost. Fuel is probably a lot cheaper than expensive rocket motors, and even if you retrieve the stages, there is still the added expense of retrieval and re-assembly.

It probably would be a save to use more fuel, but avoid having to re-build your rocket each time. Of course, you might not be able to get the lift needed with a single stage.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

By now, we should have a rocket that goes into orbit and return and all we have to do is add fuel.
    We have one. It's called the Falcon 9. Well it needs a new fairing each time, they haven't worked that bit out yet.

Part of the problem with stages and not many main launch reusable resources has to do with volume. We are not launching enough and we are making everything virtually one offs. Even the Apollo missions were off of unique Saturn rockets. No two were exactly alike. This happens when each launch is a learning experience and the next launch takes advantage of what we learned. My guess is that even the Falcon 9 is not the same Falcon 9 each launch. If anybody does know how much 'retooling' is going on between launches, I would love to know.