Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sengoku: Total War (a Shogun mod for M2TW)

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Default Re: Sengoku: Total War (a Shogun mod for M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post
    Changing the texture. Using the sashimono of the Kikkawa clan ecc...
    It is possible, but one hell of a job to pull off.

It would be a good idea to create wooden fences for arquebusiers.
    That would be great, but how, and also, will the AI use it properly?

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    It is possible, but one hell of a job to pull off.

Certainly there will be work to do. As I told you, it could be a job in the future. For a new update to your mod.

That would be great, but how, and also, will the AI use it properly?

I do not know if he would use it well. We can always put sharp poles in front of the wooden fence.

A small update. There have been a few changes (again) here and there:

Removed the Ikko-ikki clan

I've decided to remove the Ikko-ikki as a separate faction. The faction didn't add anything at all to the gameplay and it was difficult and nonsensical to differentiate between warrior monks of the Jodo Shinshu sect and the other warrior monks of other temples. Historically Oda Nobunaga fought not just against the Ikko-ikki, but against all warrior monks and their associated temples. So I've decided to represent them as normal rebels which did the job pretty well already and added the Ishiyama Honganji (Osaka), Nagashima and Oyama Gobo (the Kaga ikki) to the victory conditions of all factions. It also removes weird situations like the Oda clan or Matsudaira clan allying itself with the Ikko-ikki. I've put the Matsunaga clan back in the game to fill in the void in Yamato Province and to counter the Miyoshi to its western flank and the Asai on its north eastern flank as well as any intrusion by the Saito or the Oda from its eastern flank.

Added Imperial Court as "Pope Faction"

The biggest change is that I've included the Imperial Court as the Pope faction and turned the Ashikaga Shogunate in a normal faction controlling Nijo palace in Kyoto. I've sacrificed one faction on the Shikoku island (that was to be either the Ichijo clan or the Kono clan, both minor factions anyway). This way I can incorporate the internal politics in and around Kyoto in some form, where the owner of Kyoto receives more favor points from the Emperor and can as such be considered a potential Shogun. I plan to restrict access to the Imperial Palace where the Imperial Court resides to the faction owning Nijo palace in Kyoto, essentially isolating the Emperor from diplomats from other factions (which is also what happened in reality).

The priest-bishop-cardinal agents in vanila M2TW have been transformed into Metsuke, O-metsuke and Roju. I've also modified some AI behaviour and faction standings to prevent excommunications from happening as much as possible (it almost doesn't happen anymore). AI factions will now follow cease hostility missions from the emperor much much much often, which one could see as the Emperor mediating in conflicts.

In addition I've modified religions, using the orthodox religion for Jodo Shinshu Buddhism instead of islam, and heretic for Christianity. The main problem I had with having a "Pope faction" was the fact that factions often got excommunicated and crusades got called left, right and center. I first managed to prevent excommunications from happening (which made factions a viable target for crusades), but then rebel regions with 100% Jodo Shinshu Buddhism became the target of crusades. Using orthodox as religion instead of islam now allows a rebel region to be fully 100% orthodox/Jodo Shinshu (such as Ishiyama Honganji/Osaka, Nagashima, Oyama Gobo) without making it a target for a crusade. Right now crusades pretty much never happen, unless I want them to, which can be triggered indirectly by increasing the percentage of heretic/Christianity in a region or when the game decides to put a lot of Jesuit Missionaries in one region. This way you could trigger scenarios similar to the historical Shimabara rebellion.

Kalmar Union script

Some factions get the ability to take over whole factions if they conquer their home province and the faction leader dies (similar to the Kalmar Union script in the teutonic campaign expansion). The Oda clan will be able to take over the Saito clan and the Mori clan will be able to take over the Ouchi clan and the Amako clan using this mechanic.
    I'm also thinking of using this mechanic for every faction that controls Kyoto. So if a faction controls Kyoto, it's able to take over whole factions by just conquering their home province and having their leader killed. In addition I want to include a mechanic that will make other factions (besides the Imperial Court) dislike you more when you have conquered Kyoto. Simultaneously I want to make almost all factions re-emergent in their home provinces, and include a public order penalty when a faction gets a new faction leader (which historically was often accompanied with rebellions and reasserting independence by subdued factions).

Spreading Christian Religion

Also, Christianity is spread first by Jesuit Missionaries and by Nanban Trade Ports. Because your provinces start with 0% Christianity you first need to have a Jesuit Missionary in your provinces (by sheer luck) or build a Nanban Trade Port (which you can't just build everywhere) to convert the province to a high enough percentage of Christianity which might cause a Jesuit Missionary to spawn. Only if the region is above a certain percentage of Christianity (say 5%), do you get to build Church-related buildings and western buildings that all increase conversion up to max. 30% (otherwise the game might allow a crusade to be called on the rebel regions that have too much Christianity). You want this because Christianity brings western technology which provides you with the powerful Teppo units faster and cheaper, allows a powder maker (increases the effectiveness of firearm units) to be built in higher tier settlements and ultimately allows you to train artillery units and possibly even some western ships. This does come with a public order penalty and you do get occasional visits from a Daikan (Inquisitor in M2TW vanilla) to counter your "maladministration". And because a province has converted to a percentage of Christianity, Jesuit Missionaries spawn and wander around the map spreading Christianity to other regions, starting a possible chain reaction.

Another way to obtain Teppo units is by building trade buildings. However these regenerate the unit pool of Teppo units very slowly (since historically many factions seeked to stockpile the new matchlock weapon). Ultimately you'll be able to build your own gunsmiths out of blacksmiths (historically because of reverse engineering of the Teppo, the technology spread to the rest of Japan) and you'll be able to field more Teppo units as the game progresses. However, you still don't get the benefits that conversion of a region to 30% Christianity brings: the powder maker, cannons and western ships.
    Last edited by Razor; March 05, 2019 at 04:12 PM.

Domesticus

Good job!

Do you have any other screenshots (unit, campaign map, etc.) to show?

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Does this mod have custom settlements for the cities? There exist such in many other mods.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

What time period will this mod be set in?

Good job!

Do you have any other screenshots (unit, campaign map, etc.) to show?
    No not quite. Nothing noteworthy at least. I can shoot a few screenshots, but a lot is old or needs changing/updating/fixing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    Does this mod have custom settlements for the cities? There exist such in many other mods.
    No not yet. I know that the Imjin War mod has custom settlements for Japanese settlements but I haven't implemented any of them in my mod. I'd much rather make my own custom settlements and make castles have moats, several gateways/rings of defense etc. The custom settlements of the Imjin War mod don't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivanclan1 View Post
    What time period will this mod be set in?
    The mod starts in 1550 and ends in the 1870s. However, I'd expect that the player will finish the campaign much sooner. Since the mod uses 12 turns per year-script you'd have 320 x 12 turns to complete the mod's objective: conquer Japan and be declared the new Shogun.

A little peek at what I'm working on at the moment. The campaign map looked a bit bare without proper Japanese castles. I had been working on settlement models before, but I wasn't quite happy with the result. I also had no idea how to differentiate between a mountain castle and a flatland castle and make it look nice at the same time. So, everything was left in a WIP state and it bothered me quite a bit. After countless drafts and sketches on paper I think I've found the correct approach to it.
    Here's the huge city tier model that I'm working on, which is inspired by the original Osaka Castle of Toyotomi Hideyoshi:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	osaka.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	357676
    Last edited by Razor; March 11, 2019 at 02:01 PM.

No not quite. Nothing noteworthy at least. I can shoot a few screenshots, but a lot is old or needs changing/updating/fixing etc.

No not yet. I know that the Imjin War mod has custom settlements for Japanese settlements but I haven't implemented any of them in my mod. I'd much rather make my own custom settlements and make castles have moats, several gateways/rings of defense etc. The custom settlements of the Imjin War mod don't have that.

The mod starts in 1550 and ends in the 1870s. However, I'd expect that the player will finish the campaign much sooner. Since the mod uses 12 turns per year-script you'd have 320 x 12 turns to complete the mod's objective: conquer Japan and be declared the new Shogun.
    Ah, that is cool. I hope you will succeed because making the walls work and such is hard or very hard. Undying Nephalim failed to make the walls work properly on most of his awesome Hyrule custom settlements.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

That castle looks promising! Well done!

Ah, that is cool. I hope you will succeed because making the walls work and such is hard or very hard. Undying Nephalim failed to make the walls work properly on most of his awesome Hyrule custom settlements.
    I hope I can pull it off. However it's unexplored territory for me, so I guess I'll have to learn it from scratch.
    Also, in what way do the walls not work properly? In my current build I've disabled both towers as well as ladders, so the only siege equipment that you can build are battering rams (which were also used during the assault on Osaka castle in 1615 by the way), making sieges much harder and trickier for attackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    That castle looks promising! Well done!
    Thank you.

I hope I can pull it off. However it's unexplored territory for me, so I guess I'll have to learn it from scratch.
    Also, in what way do the walls not work properly? In my current build I've disabled both towers as well as ladders, so the only siege equipment that you can build are battering rams (which were also used during the assault on Osaka castle in 1615 by the way), making sieges much harder and trickier for attackers.

Thank you.
    They don't work in the sense neither ladders or siege towers can be placed against the walls - only rams can be used against the gates with some exceptions in which ladders and towers do work. And about those exceptions, you can like only place three ladders/towers on the walls despite the wall stretching far.

I'd guess you have disabled the walls then, because rams are basically the only thing working on most of his custom settlements.

- The Havamal

They don't work in the sense neither ladders or siege towers can be placed against the walls - only rams can be used against the gates with some exceptions in which ladders and towers do work. And about those exceptions, you can like only place three ladders/towers on the walls despite the wall stretching far.

I'd guess you have disabled the walls then, because rams are basically the only thing working on most of his custom settlements.
    Nothing is set in stone as of yet, but until I start working on custom settlements and investigate it further, I leave it untouched. It all depends on how it will play out.

Here are a few WIP pics testing the settlement models in-game giving you a glimpse of how things look so far on the campaign map. Obviously everything is subject to change. The settlement levels aren't correct and set up purely for testing purposes and the UI still needs a number of icons replaced etc. etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	407.4 KB 
ID:	357792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	424.9 KB 
ID:	357793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	311.5 KB 
ID:	357794
    Last edited by Razor; March 22, 2019 at 02:55 AM.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Looking sick +rep
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Domesticus

Hi, Razor!

Some news?

I can't wait for a first version of your mod.

I really care about the historical period of this mod.

Yes, there's some news. I had to deal with some technical issues culminating in a reinstall of Windows 10 and a rescue mission of some of my files for which I had to use good old DOS commands. No worries, everything is back up and running with no loss of data. I've pretty much finished editing the terrain types on the campaign map and added dense forests, which fixed a bug causing heretics to sometimes spawn in unreachable parts of the map, which prevents the player from taking them out. I've also worked out a climate map covering Japan with snow during winter in appropriate places.

I'm still working on portraits, which is getting quite a bit boring. So far I have 100 portraits finished for generals and I'm now working on the other agents such as diplomats, metsuke and spies & assassins, for which I'm planning to do only 10-20 each at this point. That should bring enough variation to the portraits, especially since I want to limit the amount of every agent type to be recruited to 1 or 2 which should prevent the spamming of lots of agents by the AI and slowing down the game.

When that's finished I'll go back to working on the building roster and strat map models.

About the historical period, there's a bit of an issue that I would like to address. This mod is set up to start in 1550. This allows me to include important characters among which Oda Nobunaga as faction heir with a custom portrait, preset traits and ancillaries etc. All nice and dandy, HOWEVER: in this period of time, the Miyoshi already have taken control of Kyoto and have expelled the Ashikaga shogun from the capital. Another thing is that the Matsudaira/Tokugawa were by this time vassals of the Imagawa with the Oda having control of Anjo castle. This means that the Matsudaira/Tokugawa clan would only have 1 province and often gets wiped out by the Oda clan early on having 3-4 provinces. These are situations that are nearly impossible to implement and/or result in the destruction of important factions early on.

I could make the mod start in 1545 which would prevent the situations mentioned above altogether. The Miyoshi wouldn't be in control of Kyoto and the Ashikaga shogun would reside there. The Matsudaira/Tokugawa clan would have 2 provinces instead of 1 and have a decent opportunity to fight both the Oda and the Imagawa. HOWEVER, this would make a number of characters too young to be around from the start. Oda Nobunaga for example would be only 10 or 11 in 1545. I could leave him as child and have him come of age, but this way I can't use a custom portrait for him and he may get a weird portrait, get random traits and ancillaries etc.

Also, do we want the exact start positions as they were in either 1545 or 1550 with a historical start in the short term but risking important factions being killed off and characters not present as such, possibly changing the whole course of history in the long run, or do we want to set things up by changing the start positions and character age somewhat, resulting in a less historically accurate beginning of the game, but have the game follow history more in the longer run? I could then for example have the Oda and the Matsudaira/Tokugawa like each other more from the beginning, allowing the Oda to focus on the Saito clan and the Matsudaira/Tokugawa clan to focus on fighting the Imagawa.

These are all things that I'm considering. I'll probably opt for a mash-up of different dates in order to get a more balanced and historically more satisfactory gameplay in the longer run, than have everything set up as accurately as possible on one specific date and have a historically skewed gameplay experience. What I'm most certainly not going to do is using heavy scripting to have a resemblance of accuracy just for the sake of accuracy.
    Last edited by Razor; May 18, 2019 at 07:56 PM.

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

Soon. It's nothing too fancy though. If you've seen the units from the Imjin mod, you've seen 90% already.

Originally Posted by Warcrafthero

nice mod idea Razor Do you know Swagger's mod Shizoku no Senso? maybe with his permission you could take some material from there. Anyway, good luck!
    Yes, I was once part of the team for a short while, but things didn't quite took off and the whole thing died out. There's not a whole lot I can use from that mod actually. My mod has a lot more content finished than the Shizoku no Senso mod has/had.
    Long time no see, Razor. I just noticed your mod!

Yeah it's a shame things didn't quite took off, but the announcement of S2:TW was a big hit on the hype and things just faded.

I've uploaded mod sometime ago, I hope it's still up. Feel free to use any of it's content!

Cheers and best of luck
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    Long time no see, Razor. I just noticed your mod!

Yeah it's a shame things didn't quite took off, but the announcement of S2:TW was a big hit on the hype and things just faded.

I've uploaded mod sometime ago, I hope it's still up. Feel free to use any of it's content!

Cheers and best of luck
    Hey Swagger, Long time no see indeed. Time flies...

Yeah it's a curse that many mods suffer from. Although I still prefer the feel of the RTW/M2TW engine than the modern warscape engine, which is what got me going again.

I still have the Shizoku no Senso mod on my HD from back then. To be frank, I can't use a whole lot, but if I find something that I can use, I will.

Anyway, thanks for dropping by and showing your support!
    Last edited by Razor; May 18, 2019 at 08:31 PM.