Thread: Bygs Grim Reality IV

Default Bygs Grim Reality IV

I noticed a couple of bugs with BGR IV. When my king ordered centralized command, his brother on the war council who was not the heir lead an attack on an rebel settlement and didn't get penalized. Also even settlements that don't have generals are able to recruit Huskarls. Finally, my admirals can't merge even when they have no traits. Were these issues fixed in the patch that I forgot to get? Using 0.9 right now.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: Bygs Grim Reality IV

In all honesty I am not using BGR of any version.
    I don't find it's limitations entertaining.
    Maybe Gigantus can give us an answer to this.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I am not familiar with Byg's scripts, apart from the logistics one. So I won't be able to comment.

As to admirals - I guess that must be hidden traits, maybe an 'AgentRecruited' event trigger in EDCT didn't exclude admirals. I'll see if I can find something.

The issues seem to be fixed in the patch. Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately admirals still won't merge. When I get the chance I will try setting up the game without BGR and see if that makes any difference.

Blog Entries

The attachment contains two EDCT files, one for each campaign. Extract the ZIP file (7Zip is freeware) and then place the files into their respective folders, eg data\campaign\early
    Delete the old file and remove the suffix from the new file.
    To avoid running the set up again simply copy the relevant EDCT file into Titanium's data folder.

The problem I found was with the Sicily faction.

Titanium EDCT.zip

I just tried your files but when I loaded the game the traits seemed very messed up. When I tried a new game I began with massive deflation and over 100000 in debt.

Blog Entries

Curious - money issues shouldn't have anything to do with the traits. All I did is remove those two triggers which should not affect game play at all (except Sicilian admirals not getting those traits), didn't change any values of traits.

Did you use the correct EDCT file in your data folder?

I'll try doing that manually.

Roman Soldier's Avatar Civis

I'd recommend using version II of that mod, III/IV is too complex and somewhat buggy/CTD causing.

well it fixed the one issue i had with rlc but it jacked up all the flags oh well take the good with the bad i guess

Hey, I figured it out finally!

I removed all the hidden tags on the traits, and when I started a game I saw that there is a hidden trait called HumanSpy for all characters. I'll remove this for admirals and then everything should work. Thank you Gigantus and everyone else.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Soldier View Post
    I'd recommend using version II of that mod, III/IV is too complex and somewhat buggy/CTD causing.
    I'd like to report that I've been playing Venice and Romaioi with Titanium with BGR_IV (and with KER and plethora of other submods that are available from the setup) and for about 70 turns of each game I haven't experienced any technical issues.
    (however, I had a CTD related to graphics on a naked Titanium, without BGR)
    The BGR is very complex and it is for very specific player, as said. Be aware that in the Titanium the prices have not been adjusted to income from the settlements so - at least for Venice and Romaioi, the factions I've played - it's pretty much unplayable. In this sense, I agree with Roman Soldier that version II is much better than version IV.

I think the BGR is the pinnacle of modding historical gameplay in the TW games - after it everything looked to me arcady to me. Only EBII and TATW are comparable but they're not historical. However, many of it's ends may be achieved in different ways, as the SSHIP shows.

All in all, in Titanium I'd advise not to use it - because the parameters (prices) were not adjusted.
    cheers
    JoC

Some thought on the BGR_IV

A few my assessments of the BGR_IV:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• Army Field Morale: not needed as the player rarely gets on very long expeditions, it’s rather cumbersome as you need to check traits very often ust to learn what’s up.
    • Supply System – it actually doubles the morale system in effects and is equally cumbersome. I think it should not require the player to check traits so often.
    • Limitation on the foreign expedition as the faction growth (WarCouncillor system) – it kills the role-playing with the other generals.
    • Additional costs:
      • Recruitment: the SSHIP does it better because it’s simple: simply higher units’ costs.
      • General’s wealth system – too cumbersome, you need to check traits and count everytime if there's a risk of default, you need to make tricks to avoid bankruptcy etc.
      • On-time outlays at Coming of Age (on wealth), marriages, supply purchase – these are good as they bolster up the worth of any general. As you incurred costs you don’t kill him just because his is not the best in the world. These are simple and transparent measures: you know what’s going on and you don’t need to scan through the traits every time.
      • Scutage / taxing the nobles – very cumbersome. You give with one hand and takes away with the other. Why to bother?
      • Crusade / jihad costs – good as they’re simple and make a decision to go on an expedition actually costly: so it’s a decision, part of the game.
      • Inflation due to the faction size – it’s ok as it limits the snow-ball effect.

• Recrutiment limitations:
      • WarCouncil / Profession Training Staff system – too cumbersome: you need to check which general has it, transfer it etc.
      • Only 3 places in a big faction (as there’re 3 PTS) – too much of a limitation. In the game it's quite natural due to the eg. number of the castles.
      • Religion requirements – good for the gameplay as the player needs to take care of the situation in his provinces.

• Smaller issues:
      • Cohesive Fighting Unit – negates the role of a good if not successful fight.
      • Over Confidence Trait – the incentive for the player to actually fight the battles should be positive, not a negative one.
      • Crime&Punishment – I’ve failed to see their meaning for the gameplay.

Map in both games - at Very Hard the Soulson AI is very active!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 08, 2019 at 12:37 PM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!