Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: War of the Wizards [2vs2 HS] Good vs Evil [GOOD SIDE VICTORY]

Default Re: War of the Wizards [2vs2 HS] Good vs Evil

Captainnorway's Avatar Primicerius

ootmm https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xI4...ew?usp=sharing

can't joe make a mistake or something? I feel like i am just sitting duck here trying to defend

Hannibal2001's Avatar Simply Barbaric

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

Last edited by Hannibal2001; February 25, 2018 at 07:45 AM.

Citizen

Extension until tomorrow evening please.

Granted

Citizen

AAR:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “My lord, the center is wavering!”

Theoden spurred his exhausted horse, driving the beast toward the fray once more. His arm felt as though it was made of lead, as he raised his sword to the heavens, shouting encouragement to his men. Encouragement which he did not feel.

The battle had raged for hours. The great army of Rohan had attacked at dawn, having crossed the northernmost ford over the Isen during the night and drawn up in line of battle on the western bank of the river, much to the surprise of the enemy army encamped a few miles to the northwest. But Saruman’s commander was both clever and competent; once he realized that his lack of attention had allowed the Rohirrim to cross the river unopposed, he mustered his forces and moved to correct his error in earnest. The two great armies met on a flat plain a short distance from the ford, a plain which would soon be soaked with blood and littered with the bodies of the fallen.

That had been hours ago. The sun was now setting in the west, shining in the eyes of the Rohirrim rather than their enemies as it had earlier in the day, adding to their misery. The axmen and cavalry on the flanks were holding their own, but the less experienced militia in the center was barely hanging on. The poor spearmen would have broken hours ago had Theoden not ordered the archers—out of ammunition by that point—into melee combat. Even with the extra manpower, the situation was dire. The bloodlust of the Uruk-hai was matched only by their brutality; they could often be seen pausing to feast on the flesh of fallen foes as the Rohirrim were slowly driven back. The Dunlandings were equally savage, their blind rage making up for their lack of discipline. Rohan had vanquished many more fighters than it had lost this day, but for every Uruk-hai or wild man who fell, two more seemed to spring forth to take his place.

Rohan’s battle line was stretched into a great crescent, the center driven back nearly to the ford. If the center broke, all would be lost. The forces holding the flanks would be trapped on the western side of the river, surrounded and butchered. Theoden longed to dismount his horse, to fight amongst his men. But he feared that if anyone saw his horse without a rider, they would assume the worst, and the news of his demise would spread like wildfire amongst the ranks. Rohan hung by a thread; the slightest blow to morale would cause the entire army to collapse. The fate of the army, of Rohan itself, hung in the balance. They needed a miracle. They needed their King.

Horns.

From the south, hundreds of them, melding into one glorious melody. It seemed to spring from the depths of the earth, driving away the heavy air and bringing new life to the forces of Good. For the first time since the dawn, Theoden allowed a grim smile to grace his lips. He knew what this meant. As did Rohan. Tired heads rose, eyes which had been downcast in despair now gazing toward the southern hills with renewed hope. Spears and shields which exhaustion had dragged low now rose to face the enemy. Soldiers on the verge of throwing down their weapons and fleeing for their lives returned to the ranks, their courage restored.

The horns blew again, from much closer this time. Uruk-hai and Dunlandings glanced around nervously in confusion. Further back, the enemy commander could be seen directing his meager reserves to the south. But it was too late. Over the hills rode a single man, his graying hair flowing in the breeze. Theoden could hear the triumphant cry, the familiar voice of his father, his king, even from where he stood. No, father, you are not too late. Just behind the King, a great wave of horsemen crested the hill and swept down upon the flank of the unprepared forces of Isengard. They drove a massive wedge into the enemy formation, trampling and hacking down all who opposed them. At the head of the formation rode Thengel, a beacon in the gloom, one of the most glorious sights in the long memory of Rohan.

But Thengel alone would not be enough to carry the day. Theoden rode though his line, heedless of the lingering enemies, most of whom had started to fall back in fear. Then he turned and charged across his army’s front, letting his voice carry to the ears of every soldier under his command.

“Men of Rohan! You have already given more than any could ask of you. But your King needs you! Once more, brave soldiers of Rohan! Once more! One more charge! Send these foul creatures back to the hell from whence they came! To Thengel! To the King!”

The voices of Rohan thundered as one, as cries of “To the King!” echoed across the ranks. Theoden breathed deeply, savoring the moment. He dismounted his horse and stood at the head of his men, his brave infantry. Rohan was a nation of cavalry, but today, the footmen had proven their worth. Looking to the heavens, Theoden drew vigor from deep within his being, and unleashed a true warrior spirit.

“FORTH EORLINGAS!!!”

The frightened Uruk-hai and Dunlandings held for a time, but they were trapped between a revitalized Rohirrim army in front, and a seemingly unstoppable force of cavalry at their rear. Soon enough they buckled, then shattered completely. The resulting slaughter was terrible, but every fleeing enemy cut down was one less desperate soldier the Rohirrim would have to face during the impending siege of Isengard itself, the final struggle to end this vicious war once and for all.

EXPLANATION:

So how did this happen? I’m sure my enemies are wondering. Well, it starts with intrepid young Theodred picking up extra movement traits on his journey westward from Woldberg. He starts with Energetic level 1 by default (+10%). Over the next several turns, by expending all of his movement points on every turn (and getting a fair bit of luck), he boosted that to Energetic level 2 (+15%) and also picked up LogisticalSkill level 2 (+15%). So that’s +30% total. To pull off this move I needed +25%, so it would have worked with LogisticalSkill level 1 as well.

Last turn I took a “move along, nothing to see here” approach to the hotseat. In other words, I tried to make it seem like I was only defending, for example by keeping the main Rohan army under Theodred back farther than I actually needed to, continuing the pattern I had been using. I had hoped that even if Captainnorway assumed that Theodred had extra MP traits, he wouldn’t assume that he had +25% or more. I also knew he didn’t have a spy or any unit in range to see Theodred’s traits (I made sure to prevent Grima from crossing to my side of the river just in case he could reveal it). In the end everything seemed to work.

So yeah, some good luck combined with (I think) good strategy. I’ll let you observers decide what role each factor played. Getting upgraded from +10% to +25% is lucky, but not that lucky (you only have to go up one level on each trait). Anyway, hopefully I can finish off Isengard next turn, but we’ll see what happens.

One final note – I did not delay my turn merely so I could write this AAR. I didn’t have hardly any time at all to spend on this last night.

Eriador:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cTh...ew?usp=sharing

Battle of the Northern Ford:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPA...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gPn...ew?usp=sharing

Small Forest Skirmish vs. Snaga:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OjF...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ChQ...ew?usp=sharing

Well played Joe
    I knew he had extra MP but didn't expect him to get more, with this battle i dont think there is any chance of me to survive for long (dead next turn i think).

Adanedhel's Avatar Campidoctor

Yep, knowing how to get those additional movement traits and being patient about it is crucial for hotseats like this one. One can argue that it was luck, but I remember I could get at least +25-35% more movement on key generals in almost every game, so I'd say it was just well played by Joe. #stillhere #lurkingintheshadows

ootmm https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q48...ew?usp=sharing

GG guys, Joe will kill all my generals next turn and i had no way to stop him.
    I didn't expect to get killed so fast, but every game is a learning experience

Well this was a short game . With my ally dead I won't have much chance of surviving against both Rohan and The Free People so it's GG.

To succeed in this war, Gandalf and Elrond had to take down Moria, they couldn't march on Isengard and let their lands undefended.
    They prepared, made plans and mobilezed their armies.
    Before they started to march, a messenger arrived.

One harsh, unexpected offence and those filthy Uruk-hai were overcome,
    he said.
    The path to Isengard was open, it was barely defended. We took it and killed the White Wizard.
    Our armies are marching north, we'll assault the Misty Mountains together.
    Let's get rid of as many orc-filth as we can!

Upon seeing the enormous amry of men and Elves, the Orcs of the Misty Mountains fled. Deep in the Mountains, never to be seen again..
    Gandalf and the Good alliance are victorious and cleansed a small part of Middle-Earth.

GG to everyone! Don't forget to Rep each other. Thanks for participating in my first game as admin
    I hope to start a new HS next week, more factions and free diplomacy, I hope some of you will be interested in joining!
    Last edited by King of Dawn; March 01, 2018 at 05:54 AM.

Citizen

Good game to everyone. I didn't want it to end so soon, but that's the downside of these small scenarios - one big defeat, and it's game over. I was curious about the AR so I simulated the projected Battle of Isengard a few days ago as best I could. Even with siege defense AR and Saruman's elite command rating, Rohan wins the siege assault. So I can't really blame OotMM for giving up, especially since his initial attack on HE was already repulsed.

If nothing else, I appreciate the opportunity to write some AARs for Third Age again. Rohan is such an awesome faction to AAR with.

Thank you also to King of Dawn for creating/adminning. Count me in to your next hotseat!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123