Thread: Battle of the Nile (47BC AAR)

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Battle of the Nile (47BC AAR)

Gaius Marcelleus Cato struck his sword into the air, his legion passing though the shrubs. Through the front of the battlefield, it was a beautiful sight. The Egyptian army stood at the might of the massive hill surrounding the east. Around them onto the field, lay the farms of abandoned villagers and farmers. Cyprus trees surrounded the fields as the massive Pyramids of Giza surrounded them behind. White and shining beyond splendour. Yellow sand bucked through his sandals as he removed his helmet, scratching his head. The stomping of four thousand boots joined in chorus as they advanced towards the hill. Marshes surrounded them at the centre of the battlefield.

He saw Julius Caesar arriving on his horse as the legions yelled in response. There was little, but mute response from the Galatians and Pontian’s. Caesar yanked the reins as he advanced to Gaius. He responded with a salute. “Centurion, where are the Egyptians now? I can’t see Ptolemy’s army.” Caesar asked.

Gaius responded. “They’re on the hill, Caesar. We must remove them from the hill at once.”
    Caesar nodded. “Very well, Centurion. Storm that hill and remove the Egyptians from there. I want Pilla. We will storm them with a shower of Pilla. Do you understand?”

“Yes General!” Gaius responded as Caesar left, barking orders to his large army as they shuffled themselves above. Hundreds upon hundreds of Roman legions marched as Centurions and Optios barked orders and yelled at each other. Gaius observed the Pontic soldiers, big and tough men armed with huge shields and swords. No wonder they’d been a tough enemy to Rome back in the old days. Gaius raised his shield as his legion marched behind him. The hill although looking close began to draw itself it out. It was much larger to walk upon.

“Raise your shields! RAISE THEM!” A centurion barked orders.

“What I’d do for a nice cup of wine and a naked lady,’’ A legionary sighed.

“They look miserable, the lot of them!” Another legionary said.

“May the Ancestors bless me!” Another one shouted.

All around Gaius a war chant began to build. The legionaries banged their shields, yelling taunts and curses at the Egyptians above. Gaius ran his succession of orders. “Intente! Ad Signa! To your stations men!” He said as his legionaries shuffled into position. The standard bearer held the Eagle up, high and proud. “Raise the eagle high Lucius. Let the Egyptians know that no one stands against the might of Rome!” His men cheered in response.

Gaius and his legion made their way towards the slow descent up to the hill. He could hear the signs of encouragement and eagerness, ready to unleash their terror on the Egyptians.

“Must be a thing or two, these Egyptians whores can’t stand against us!” One of his legionaries said.
    “Them? Them? They’re nothing against my phallus! May Jupiter curse them to the ends of the earth!” A boisterous legionary said.

Gaius was encouraged by the morale of his men. Battle was about to come on them, and he couldn’t have them distracted. “That’s enough! Caeser has given us orders to storm the hill. We go to the hill, we take that hill. We fight for Rome! Quattuor Ordines Facit! Form rank of four files, now!” He shouted. The men shortened their pace as they shuffled into ranks of four files. They marched as the hill became steeper.

Gaius wondered when the Egyptians would attack. There was no sign, no fire from their side. Perhaps it was an ambush. He didn’t care. Caesar had promised him personally that he’d be getting his wife back after the Egyptians stole her. She was in the camp. He would kill every last one of them. His grip tightened on the sword. An arrow struck him past as he staggered back, causing the line to break. Gaius shouted as they re-organized themselves.

“We’re up to it here men! They’ll release fireballs at any moment, BE PREPARED. Form testudo!” His legions locked shields as they formed the testudo. Gaius locked his shield, as the legionaries moved with a snail’s pace. Egyptian archers fired arrows as the testudo took them onwards. A hail of arrows struck down a few of his men, but the testudo remained resilient. A low chanting emerged as Gaius felt the uncomfortable itching on his scalp, already in his tight helmet. The sounds of chanting emerged with the stink of sweat coming from the legionaries pores. The formation was dark and unnerving. Only Gaius could depend on them now as dark enclosed them.

A whooshing sound swung into the air, resulting in a loud explosion. Gaius tried to move, but the crowded area of stinking men’s pores prevented him from doing so. A whistle ripped through the air as the legion marched forward. Out of nowhere, an amphora struck into the middle of the legion, exploding. Rippling through the ranks, men flied out before landing to the ground. Gaius fell to the ground as he felt his shield thumping his head. The pain ached in his head as he tried to rise. His eyes widened.

The Egyptian ballistae had created a body of fallen Roman soldiers to the ground. Hundreds of Romans were either ducking for cover. They were vulnerable, exposed. Gaius saw a faint line approaching them. From the blurriness emerged the feared scythed chariots, decked in golden armour as their drivers whipped the horses. The scythes attached to both sides rotated fast, waiting for its new prey.

“SHEILD WALL! AT THE DOUBLE!” Gaius roared as his soldiers formed a shield. “GET YOUR PILLA! WAIT UNTIL MY COMMMAND!” He said as he waited.
    Thirty paces.

Twenty paces.
    Ten paces.

“THROW THEM LIKE YOUR ON A WHORE’S ARSE!” Gaius roared as the legionaries flung their pillas. Two or three drivers were taken down, causing a shuffle as other chariots crashed into other. Gaius unsheathed his sword. “Swords ready men, Rome expects us to win this battle!” He said, before his terror leapt onto his face. The chariots had surivied the pilla throw, and now only were three paces away. “Lock shields!” He ordered.

A ramification of rumbling shields locked together, but it was too early. The chariots smashed into the unorganized shield wall, as men screamed as the scythes pierced their arms and legs. Many fell to the ground. The more intelligent men quickly formed a distance away to let them get through. “Square! Form square,’’ Gaius ordered.

The legionaries quickly formed into a square formation, holding the last of their javelins. Gaius stood in the middle, waiting as the chariots circled. “REMEMBER MEN, WE TAKE THAT HILL. ROME EXPECTS NOTHING MORE OF US.” He shouted. His men got ready as they waited for the chariots to attack them. The whipping of the chariots came close, as they saw them easily come through the hill’s landscape. They were about to wipe out his entire legion from all directions. Gauis saw the smirking smile coming from the chariot’s driver face as it was no more than a feet away from him.
    Gaius closed his eyes as the sudden dread approached him.

At that moment, whistling cries went through the air. Gaius opened his eyes to see a horde of Galation and Pontian cavalry smash into the ranks of the Scythed chariots, toppling them over, having caught them underway. Exploding fireballs launched from the air threw themselves upon the Roman ranks, but Jupiter’s men would not budge. Fireballs unleashed themselves onto the Romans, burning any unlucky solider they found.

Gaius saw the white pyramids shining, as he felt the Egyptian army becoming surrounded. He looked to see the Legions making it finally across the hill as they launched pilla at the Egyptian phalanxes, clumbering walls of pikes. Then they charged. The Egyptians were unable to react to it. Not even the best of the pikemen could stand against the onslaught of the Roman legionary. One Roman struck his sword into the neck of an Egyptian pikeman. An Egyptian native slashed his sword into the stomach of a Roman.

He heard the screeching sound of elephants. Gaius readied his shield; his men had stretched too thin. The Egyptians had formed a counter-attack with the elephants. Their pikeman and theuros swordsmen formed a line. Gaius looked to the ragtag band of legionaries forming. “SOLIDERS! FORM SHIELD! ELEPHANTS ARE NOTHING, WE DEFEATED HANNIBAL’S BEASTS, WE’LL BEAT THEM! TAKE THIS HILL FOR ROME!” He roared as his men cheered. They formed a shield wall as a low hum went through the ranks of the recently organized Roman legionaries.

Huummmmmmmmmm!
    Huuuuuummmmm!!!!!!

“ROMA INVICTA!” Gaius said, unsheathing his sword. “STRIKE AT THE BELLY! THE BELLY!” He said as he launched into an Egyptian, striking him down. He blocked another Egyptian as he slashed another’s Egyptian coat of armour. The elephant screamed before the legionnaires hacked at its legs. Gaius tried to find a way to leave, as he saw the camp empty. He moved.
    Gaius followed suit, ordering his men to launch themselves at the confused Egyptians. No directive or command came from them, as their leader fled. Ptolemy fled like the coward he was. Gaius made his way towards the camp as his men finished the Egyptians, as huge hordes of Roman cavalry smashed into the ranks of fleeing Egyptians. He grabbed a horse, as he went to the tent. There he found a burly Greek launching himself on a woman. A Roman woman.

Gaius grabbed him and stabbed his sword into the Greek’s balls as he screamed. His eyes widened in relief. Epona. He hugged her as she cried in his arms. “Did they do anything to you?” He said. Epona sniffed. “No. I was about to attack with a bucket and knife. I’m glad you came, I thought I lost…you after they kidnapped me last night.”

Gaius stared at her with the longing of a loving husband. “No one does anything to my wife. Or they will face my wrath. Come with me, I should have never brought you here.” He said. Epona kissed him with the longing of a wife that missed her husband too much. “It was I that wanted to come. Next time I’ll handle it better with you around,” She let a sad smile emerge through her face. Gaius took her out of the tent. He stopped as his men cheered.

“Well done Centurion!” A legionary said.
    “Stopped that bastard getting through her!” Another legionary quipped in.
    “And Gaius has served Rome well.” A deep voice joined through the ranks as the legionaires bowed. Caesar and Cleopatra made themselves apparent as they were accompanied by the elites of both factions. Gaius bowed.
    “It was all for Rome, general.” Gaius said.

“Nonsense,’ Caeser smiled. “Ptolemy has drowned for all I care. And now we need to establish Roman rule to help Queen Cleopatra restore her throne. Don’t worry about your wife, Cleopatra’s mistresses will see to it that she is taken care off. You’ve done Rome well Gaius. I expect to see you in the Senate next week. I’ll personally appoint you as a Senator.” He said, mounting on his horse as Epona was taken away by the beautiful mistresses of Cleopatra’s consort.

The warcry rallied through the ranks.

Caesar!
    Caesar!
    Caesar!

Gaius could only stare at the grinning wide smiles of his men, as they carried him above. He sighed as he saw the Sun shining at the White Pyramids. He could feel the ten generations of history weighing down upon him. Rome had won. And Gaius had succeeded.

Default Re: Battle of the Nile (47BC AAR)

A good tale ,my man ,a good tale!
    So this is how Rome won Egypt .
    I especially liked the ending .
    I would really like if you wrote more like this .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

A really great story. Love the way you made it not just a battle, but a battle for something. Caesar may just want to conquer, while Gaius has a very personal reason to want to win. I especially enjoyed the way you used all the senses in your description, not just sight and sound. A soldier's itching scalp beneath their helmet, the smell of sweat from all the soldiers clustered together etc. Very atmospheric! And brilliantly illustrated with those screenshots.

Definitely a good read.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Like mad orc and Welsh Dragon I very much enjoyed this tale. The details you used really help the reader focus on Gaius and his perspective on the battle, and the bawdy humor and language of some of the soldiers aligns with what I imagine ancient soldiers would have indeed used to express their opinions of the enemy. And I definitely agree with Welsh Dragon about the pictures... all three screenshots are beautifully framed and very well used to convey what's happening in the story at that moment. Like mad orc, I hope to see more from you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    A good tale ,my man ,a good tale!
    So this is how Rome won Egypt .
    I especially liked the ending .
    I would really like if you wrote more like this .
    Thanks Mad Orc!

I'm writing a new Roman novel - or planning it!

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Sunsoar View Post
    Like mad orc and Welsh Dragon I very much enjoyed this tale. The details you used really help the reader focus on Gaius and his perspective on the battle, and the bawdy humor and language of some of the soldiers aligns with what I imagine ancient soldiers would have indeed used to express their opinions of the enemy. And I definitely agree with Welsh Dragon about the pictures... all three screenshots are beautifully framed and very well used to convey what's happening in the story at that moment. Like mad orc, I hope to see more from you soon!
    There's a lot more stories on the creative side!

I mean I know RII's not that great, but I love this game so much(And AE's coming~) and the battles are just amazing. I mean RII for all it's faults is still a great game.

But thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    A really great story. Love the way you made it not just a battle, but a battle for something. Caesar may just want to conquer, while Gaius has a very personal reason to want to win. I especially enjoyed the way you used all the senses in your description, not just sight and sound. A soldier's itching scalp beneath their helmet, the smell of sweat from all the soldiers clustered together etc. Very atmospheric! And brilliantly illustrated with those screenshots.

Definitely a good read.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Yeah the whole insight was on Gaius. Not the big battle. Because soldiers don't know what's going to happen in a battle.

The critiques for this were scathing!

Thank you Welsh Dragon!+-

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

An excellent battle AAR, I agree with mac orc, Welsh Dragon and Axiz Sunsoar! The pictures are well-framed, the story is rich with the disorder and danger of an ancient battlefield. I felt Gaius's fear as the chariots approached and his relief when he saw Epona.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    An excellent battle AAR, I agree with mac orc, Welsh Dragon and Axiz Sunsoar! The pictures are well-framed, the story is rich with the disorder and danger of an ancient battlefield. I felt Gaius's fear as the chariots approached and his relief when he saw Epona.
    Thanks Alwyn!