Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: Erdogan's Adviser:"We will break the legs of the Greek Prime Minister if he sets foot on Imia"

Default Re: Erdogan's Adviser:"We will break the legs of the Greek Prime Minister if he sets foot on Imia"

Quote Originally Posted by kyrtgr View Post
    Nice source you got there. I stopped reading when I realized that they hijacked the flag and title of the Republic of Cyprus to promote Turkish propaganda.
    So, you think Makarios was doing Turkish propaganda in his UN speech?
    The Armenian Issue

Default Re: Erdogan's Adviser:"We will break the legs of the Greek Prime Minister if he sets foot on Imia"

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    So, you think Makarios was doing Turkish propaganda in his UN speech?
    Not at all, he was bashing the military regime of Greece.
    I was referring to the site you linked that deceivingly bears the flag and title of the Republic of Cyprus while it promotes TRNC (aka Turkey) propaganda.

Not at all, he was bashing the military regime of Greece.
    I was referring to the site you linked that deceivingly bears the flag and title of the Republic of Cyprus while it promotes TRNC (aka Turkey) propaganda.
    So? It's one of the links that showed up on first page of my search. What does the site being a pro-Turkish website contribute here? In his speech, Makarios calls what Greece did an invasion:
    As I have already stated, the events in Cyprus do not constitute an internal matter of the Greeks of Cyprus. The Turks of Cyprus are also affected. The coup of the Greek junta is an invasion, and from its consequences the whole people of Cyprus suffers, both Greeks and Turks. The United Nations has a peace-keeping force stationed in Cyprus. It is not possible for the role of that peace-keeping force to be effective under conditions of a military coup. The Security Council should call upon the military regime of Greece to withdraw from Cyprus the Greek officers serving in the National Guard, and to put an end to its invasion of Cyprus.
    The Armenian Issue

So? It's one of the links that showed up on first page of my search. What does the site being a pro-Turkish website contribute here? In his speech, Makarios calls what Greece did an invasion:
    Not really. He was very careful imo not to point the finger to Greece as a country. He always said "the Greek junda", "the military regime of Greece" etc. A subtle detail that a "pro-Turkish website" would (deliberately) miss.
    Also Makarios wanted the UN peacekeeping force to act against the coup, which it wouldn't if UN thought of it as an internal matter, so he told them what they needed to hear for this to happen.

Not really. He was very careful imo not to point the finger to Greece as a country. He always said "the Greek junda", "the military regime of Greece" etc. A subtle detail that a "pro-Turkish website" would (deliberately) miss.
    Also Makarios wanted the UN peacekeeping force to act against the coup, which it wouldn't if UN thought of it as an internal matter, so he told them what they needed to hear for this to happen.
    Did Greek junta represent Algeria at the time? No... It's also quite weak argumentation to keep pounding on that website as if they deliberately omitted parts of the speech when in fact all that the link does is to provide the transcript of Makarios' speech and even the voice recording of it...

So, you're saying Makarios lied in his UN speech about the Greek involvement from Greece?
    The Armenian Issue

Did Greek junta represent Algeria at the time? No...
    No it didn't, neither it did the Greek people. You said that Makarios said that "Greece invaded Cyprus", but he didn't and he was very careful not to.

It's also quite weak argumentation to keep pounding on that website as if they deliberately omitted parts of the speech when in fact all that the link does is to provide the transcript of Makarios' speech and even the voice recording of it...
    Did I lie about the website? Do they represent the Republic of Cyprus and they have the flag and title on them? They are the ones that are lying. They may not have omitted parts of the speech (I haven't gone through it word by word, I don't care that much) but they are impostes.

So, you're saying Makarios lied in his UN speech about the Greek involvement from Greece?
    There was involvement but not invasion. If we take literally the use of the word "invasion", yes he lied. If we take it as a strong expression of "involvement" he didn't. It's like saying that US invaded Greece because it organized the 1967 coup in Greece. Or US invaded Turkey in 1980 coup.
    He wanted the UN troops to intervene and restore the constitution, which they wouldn't do anyway as the very next day proved.

No it didn't, neither it did the Greek people. You said that Makarios said that "Greece invaded Cyprus", but he didn't and he was very careful not to.
    So, I can easily say that Erdoğan doesn't represent the Turkish people and dismiss anything his government does? This amazingly faulty logic have been used too much by the Greek side. They try to absolve any responsibility Greece had in the juntas crimes when in fact its part of their history. The real purpose is to kill any and all discussion on those crimes.

Did I lie about the website? Do they represent the Republic of Cyprus and they have the flag and title on them? They are the ones that are lying. They may not have omitted parts of the speech (I haven't gone through it word by word, I don't care that much) but they are impostes.
    Sigh... As I said this is extremely weak argumentation. Yes, there is a page where they had the emblem of the Republic of Cyprus next to where it says Republic of Cyprus in a series of pages where they provide context for the history of the Republic of Cyprus... How evil of them...

There was involvement but not invasion. If we take literally the use of the word "invasion", yes he lied. If we take it as a strong expression of "involvement" he didn't. It's like saying that US invaded Greece because it organized the 1967 coup in Greece. Or US invaded Turkey in 1980 coup.
    He wanted the UN troops to intervene and restore the constitution, which they wouldn't do anyway as the very next day proved.
    Did USA officers led the coup in Greece in 1967 with participation of USA soldiers during the coup? Did the USA orchestrated the coup to annex Greece as a new state of its union?
    The Armenian Issue

So, I can easily say that Erdoğan doesn't represent the Turkish people and dismiss anything his government does?
    No you can't. Erdoğan is elected, unless you know something that we don't.

Sigh... As I said this is extremely weak argumentation. Yes, there is a page where they had the emblem of the Republic of Cyprus next to where it says Republic of Cyprus in a series of pages where they provide context for the history of the Republic of Cyprus... How evil of them...
    You mean "in a series of pages where they provide Turkish propaganda while pretending to be an official website of the Republic of Cyprus".

Did USA officers led the coup in Greece in 1967 with participation of USA soldiers during the coup? Did the USA orchestrated the coup to annex Greece as a new state of its union?
    Is this your definition of invasion? You need English lessons.
    But lets get to it. Yes (or No, depends on what you mean "led"), No, No.
    Projecting to Greece-Cyprus case your questions is "Did Greece officers led the coup in Cyprus with participation of Greek soldiers during the coup? Did Greece orchestrated the coup to annex Cyprus as a new state of its union?"
    The answers are
    No (members of EOKA did, Greek junda orchestrated)
    Yes (as part of the Cyprus National Guard. That was the Cyprus army established by the tripartite treaty. Any military coup would involve the CNG)
    Yes (what's wrong with Enosis? Turkey didn't have any problem doing it in Hatay with just 39% Turkish population neither had a problem wanting to annex Cyprus in the 50s with just 18% TC population).
    That being said, I'm not in favor of any coup that overthrows a democratically elected government. Evil coup, but not an invasion.

No you can't. Erdoğan is elected, unless you know something that we don't.
    Is he a dictator that steals elections to stay in power or not? If you can disown people just because its convenient so can others too.

You mean "in a series of pages where they provide Turkish propaganda while pretending to be an official website of the Republic of Cyprus".
    They do not pretend to be an official website of the Republic of Cyprus. Southern Cypriot official websites and with .cy

Is this your definition of invasion? You need English lessons.
    But lets get to it. Yes (or No, depends on what you mean "led"), No, No.
    Projecting to Greece-Cyprus case your questions is "Did Greece officers led the coup in Cyprus with participation of Greek soldiers during the coup? Did Greece orchestrated the coup to annex Cyprus as a new state of its union?"
    The answers are
    No (members of EOKA did, Greek junda orchestrated)
    Yes (as part of the Cyprus National Guard. That was the Cyprus army established by the tripartite treaty. Any military coup would involve the CNG)
    Yes (what's wrong with Enosis? Turkey didn't have any problem doing it in Hatay with just 39% Turkish population neither had a problem wanting to annex Cyprus in the 50s with just 18% TC population).
    That being said, I'm not in favor of any coup that overthrows a democratically elected government. Evil coup, but not an invasion.
    You ask two questions but gave three answers. Interesting... The fact is officers and soldiers from Greece controlled the Cypriot national guard to conduct the coup to annex Cyprus as part of Greece. Invasion is a taking control of a land by foreign forces using force. What happened fits that definition pretty nicely. You're mistaken too. The island didn't just house a Cypriot army. It also housed contingents from Turkey and Greece respectively under the guarantee agreement. The Greek force was called ELDYK which participated in the coup. They were de facto foreign invasion force.

Whats wrong with ENOSIS? When its done through a coup with the intention to purify a land through ethnic cleansing its not exactly nice. What's really funny here is that if I asked what's wrong with union of Turkey with western Thrace we'd have a 9 magnitude earthquake from all the roars of some people here. So, that was a nice touch. Turkey could have rolled over to Hatay with a million soldiers shooting people in the face left and right and it wouldn't change what happened in Cyprus.
    The Armenian Issue

bekiristein's Avatar Semisalis

Is he a dictator that steals elections to stay in power or not? If you can disown people just because its convenient so can others too.

They do not pretend to be an official website of the Republic of Cyprus. Southern Cypriot official websites and with .cy

You ask two questions but gave three answers. Interesting... The fact is officers and soldiers from Greece controlled the Cypriot national guard to conduct the coup to annex Cyprus as part of Greece. Invasion is a taking control of a land by foreign forces using force. What happened fits that definition pretty nicely. You're mistaken too. The island didn't just house a Cypriot army. It also housed contingents from Turkey and Greece respectively under the guarantee agreement. The Greek force was called ELDYK which participated in the coup. They were de facto foreign invasion force.

Whats wrong with ENOSIS? When its done through a coup with the intention to purify a land through ethnic cleansing its not exactly nice. What's really funny here is that if I asked what's wrong with union of Turkey with western Thrace we'd have a 9 magnitude earthquake from all the roars of some people here. So, that was a nice touch. Turkey could have rolled over to Hatay with a million soldiers shooting people in the face left and right and it wouldn't change what happened in Cyprus.
    Sigh.....haha. You ultranationalism makes you ignore that the occupation is illegal that 170 thousand people were displaced from the north part of Cyprus and some settlers arrived.Keep debating about 1974 while in 2018 the northern part is stil isolated while the Republic of Cyprus is a member of the EU. Also nice attempt to derail a thread about the Aegean dispute with Cyprus.Could it be because your arguments in both cases are extremely weak and you desperetaly trying to find something?Oh yes thats the case. Sigh...

Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Patrician

Two warnings against off-topic comments and the last page solely debating about the 1974 coup in Cyprus show that the thread has run its course. Closed permanently. If anyone is interested in discussing the modern history of Cyprus or any other controversy involving Turkey and Greece, he is more than welcome to open a new thread in Vestigia Vetustatis, the forum specifically reserved for historical matters.