Thread: Frequent CTDs

Default Frequent CTDs

Hello everyone!

Ive followed the instructions to the letter. I even re-installed NTW after wiping every trace of NTW-related folders from steamapps as well as the NTW file in the AppData folder.

So yeah anyway: Whenever i click "Start" after troop deployment during a battle, the game either immediately crashes or the battle runs 1-2 minutes before crashing at random intervals.

As i said: I followed the instructions correctly. I double and tripple-checked too!

Any help would be appreciate thanks in advance

Default Re: Frequent CTDs

I have no idea. You are the first report of any issue like this. I suggest removing the pack files, put them all back in the /acw folder, if you created one. Then try to load the vanilla game (also rename your user_script file as well. IF you have the same issue with vanilla NTW, I would suggest going into Steam, righ-clicking the game then going through the menus to 'verify local files'. After that process, go back and try ACW again. All I can think of is you are missing one of the acw_ pack files, which could cause that crash. An immediate crash on map load would likely be a variant model related issue. A few minutes in and I have no idea.

Try my suggestions and get back with your results.
    ACW 2.6 - American Civil War Released:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ar-June-2-2019

hey Slyk, thanks for responding!

Ive tried your suggestions. I am also pretty sure i have all the pack files needed and ive also re-downloaded the pack files just to make sure. All in all, I can count 11 pack files + the manual + the user.script file and all of them are where they should be. My NTW folder is also a fresh install so there are no left-over files from other mods or anything. Everything is vanilla.

I can load into the battles just fine, however the game crashes either immediately after i press "Start battle" after troop deployment, or 1-2 minutes into the battle random CTDs occur.

I dont know what im doing wrong here

Do you think there are any conflicting settings? For example should HDR or V sync be deactivated or anything? What are your settings?

I have a very strong PC and it handle max settings in NTW very easily, so I am at a loss here. Id reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally love to play this awesome mod XD

hey Slyk,

I have attached a .rar file with the crash reports resulting from the ACW-related CTDs. I dont know if they are of any help to you but i figured i would include them for better insight.

Thank you for taking your time to help
    Attached Files Attached Files

I did most if the development of this mod using an AMD 1600x and a GTX770. Only recently did I upgrade to a 1080ti. I have never used vsync or any sync settings. I never saw the need. HDR I would also turn off. Bloom is a mess also. I don't use a lot of fancy settings unless taking screenshots or video for promotion.

I would go back to bare bones settings in audio and video. If the crash issues continue, are you doing a similar thing when it does crash? Are you running gforce experience? That crashed my game constantly when I installed the new gpu. I installed that crappy app and rolled my drivers back to March 2017 version. All smooth since. Try this stuff and let me know.

Crash reports are useless because CA encoded them. Pathetic b.s., if you ask me because we'd all be better off if we could read them logically.

Lord Davn's Avatar Senator

Nice job on the ACW mod, graphic settings can be adjusted using this guide to help reduce crashes while in battle:
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Spiele...s-card-705532/
    Last edited by Lord Davn; February 01, 2018 at 12:21 PM.

Thank you, Davin, for the comments and helpful link.

Hey there guys,

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

So anyway. The battles lasted significantly longer after reducing the graphical settings to a bare minimum. However, you can imagine that playing on the lowest settings is not really a fun way to play, especially since I can play on max in settings in any other mods.

I think the problem lies in just one of the graphical options. Maybe the shader models? There must be something in the graphics thats causing conflicts with the mod.

Sorry to hear you are still having issues. So far, out of 100s of users you are the only one with this issue.

HOWEVER... just yesterday myself and a friend, DarkArchon (mod contributor) both had CTD issues. My game would go all the way to loading the map, go about 5%, not load the 'loading screen' just a black background, then CTD. His game would CTD in Vanilla... as soon as he launched it.

In BOTH cases, deleting the preferences file and then restarting the PC solved the issues. Very odd but I lost two hours of time figuring that out. It is the first time I ever had that problem. I will say, I did muck around in the preferences file a bit last week so maybe it's my fault. His issue was a new gaming laptop and installing NTW, but not ACW at the CDT issue point.

What are your PC specs? CPU, GPU, RAM ?

Hi Slyk.
    The mod is great. So, first of all, thanks.
    I took a look at Sidatarias' crash dumps lately.
    They're all going down at the very same place in the code.
    The root of the problem seems rather delimited and, from my understanding at least, linked to a missing animation clip.
    Can't say much more unluckily.
    I just see a div. by zero exception raised where normally a function returns a clip entry by taking the remainder of a value / alternatives count division (normally / 5, / 1, etc. fails if / 0, of course).
    I don't know if it's a badly formatted line in the txt tables, a missing file, its name, etc. either.
    Hopefully my hint could direct further investigation on the right path, nevertheless.
    Ciao.
    Last edited by risorgimento; April 05, 2018 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks risogimento! That helps but yet doesn't. hahaha Suck is life with CA games. If everyone or more people had the same issue, I might be able to figure it out but this is the only cases I'm aware of. I appreciate you looking through the errors. Any chance it's a vanilla issue where some animation is borrowed? I would expect perhaps Artillery related? Or maybe a flaw/conflict with the animation file. If I knew 'what' happened right at the crash... unlimber/limber, unit formation change, something like that, it would help more.

I appreciate your help.

You're welcome, Slyk! That's nothing compared to your commitment...
    I also experienced a few however, and the only one occasion I had the debugger attached, the crash occurred at the same location of Sidatarias.
    Sadly it was late and had no time to go deeper with the disassembly and trying to spot any "footprint" like a related anim clip filename string.
    But I'm rather convinced if you'd set a breakpoint there and play a few hours/days, it'd fall into the trap necessarily.
    Problem is finding that time to play for me.

EDIT: played 1hr and 1/2, no CTD so far. No cavalry scenario, though. Don't know if it matters.
    Last edited by risorgimento; April 08, 2018 at 05:37 AM.

I know a couple people have cavalry issues. I have played a number of battles with all the cav units and never had a CTD. Never. Very odd. It 'could' be a bug with their animations though, I will not discount that as a possibility because I had to create a new animation set for them. But from my side, never a CTD. But I'll be happy to know of a cause if there is one. Let me know if you find anything.

I know I am a few months late to the party, but I just wanted to add that I too am getting the exact same issue as Sidatarias. After seeing the cavalry thing mentioned, I tried running the exact same battle scenarios, on the exact same maps, minus the cavalry units and the crashes went entirely away. It definitely seems to be an issue with cavalry. If I put those units back into the battles with no other changes, the game does its freeze thing. Either right on battle start, or 30 seconds or so later. No cav, the entire battle can be played out no problem.

*** NVIDIA GEFORECE EXPERIENCE ***

Just a thought as well... when I upgraded my video card to a 1080Ti in February 2018, I activated the GeForce Experience app and I could not play NTW more than 10-20 minutes before it crashed, every time. I know the mod has some conflicts going on as well and I have been looking into those and hope to fix them.

If I get a crash, it is usually very late in a battle and almost always when I zoom in on a location, many times near artillery. I have always thought that it was sound related. However, it may be a model LOD or something as well, which would be odd, but with no real crash reports, it's a guessing game.

I appreciate anyone's feedback. Thank you!

>>>>> Stability and CDT Fix October 27, 2018<<<<<<
    Until 2.2 is released: Please edit your "user.script" file by "commenting out" the acw_sounds pack
    Edit the user.script as follows:
    now: mod "acw_sounds.pack";
    after: //mod "acw_sounds.pack";

The mod will run using the default NTW sound files and the stability will vastly improve. Repeated testing has identified this pack as the cause of most issues. A new sound pack will be issued with 2.2