Thread: Missile attack range - Dosnt work

Default Missile attack range - Dosnt work

So the Missile attack range buff dosnt seem to work in the game.

I have it currently setup like this, but even force_to_force_own dosnt seem to have an effect on the battle field.

att_trad_army_roman_5_palatini
    att_effect_force_unit_stat_missile_range
    army_to_army_own

It seems that it might be a problem with the Key - att_effect_force_unit_stat_missile_range - So i was wondering if anyone know how to get it to work, or could tell me how to edit effect keys, so i could take a look at it myself.

Default Re: Missile attack range - Dosnt work

Are there any working effect bundles that use that effect key? Check the effect scope for those. Usually with an issue like this, there are only a few effect scopes that actually work.

As far as editing the actual effect key, you'd have to edit the appropriate effect_bonus_value table, most often effect_bonus_value_basic_junction. You can't create new bonus values, but you can change what's assigned for an effect.

Okay thats all abit much to take in, right now. Will have to go through what you wrote bit by bit. But as i can understand the game *vanilla* has 2 army traditions that give this. Sassanids and Huns (Persian Marksmanship and Scourge of the World) - Where it dosnt work. So if it in vanilla dosnt work, is there any chance i can fix it myself by looking at those effect tables you mentioned?

Took at look in effect_bonus_value_basic_junction seems theres no a key named att_effect_force_unit_stat_missile_range - So i would guess thats the reason why it dosnt work, it was never made. However if the game requests a effect key thats not there, i would suspect it to crash or something like that? - I maybe just like in this case nothing would happen.

So is there a way to make that effect key myself? or is it just too bad then?

I did just now find the effect key under att_effect_force_unit_stat_missile_range

range_mod att_effect_force_unit_stat_missile_range
    missile_units

Maybe the unit set missile units, is wrong.
    Last edited by Dilion; January 31, 2018 at 11:49 AM.

With abit of digging it seems the key is made for missile units... But most ranged units are in the unit type of Missile_units_bows - and there for do not get the benefit *I assume* - Im gonna try change the unit Sagittarii to unit type Missile_unit and see if that fixes the entire thing.

Ill report back what i find out.

Okay so i have figured it out, and its very strange indeed.

First off it does matter what unit type a unit is given. This you find and change under unit_set_to_unit_junctions_tables
    Some units are given the type missile_units others are given the type missile_bow_units
    Theres a effect key to match both types though att_effect_force_unit_stat_missile_range and att_effect_force_army_battle_bow_unit_missile_range
    Both can to my knowledge be given the same effect scope, so theres not really a problem there. In worst case one can just change a unit set to match.

Anyway here comes the weird part. The in game tool tip shows the range increase in percentage, so you put 30 in the cell value in game it will say +30% range, which is quite a lot. But!
    The tool tip is wrong. Its not a percentage increase, its just a straight up added range to the units, and its added in odd as well. So i put in the value of 3000, and it shows in game a 3000% increase in range. However the units that before was 155m range, are now 185. So the added range is in meters *yards* divided by 100.
    I dont know how better to explain this. But it works out. It works to my desire, however if anyone wanted to fix this, the tool tip would need to be changed. No clue myself how to do this, and im not too bothered about it. Now that i know for my future modding, if i want to give increased range, then its in permille of meters.
    Last edited by Dilion; January 31, 2018 at 12:25 PM.

Very strange, but I have run into that percentage tooltip issue in Rome 2 as well, so I assume that's carried over.

You could maybe edit the appropriate text or UI file to fix the display issue there. Not sure.