Thread: General becomes daimyo

Eidgeniesser's Avatar Libertus

Default General becomes daimyo

I want to kill of my family so that one of my generals becomes daimyo but I have some questions:

1. What decides if a general stages a coup instead of a distant relative becoming the new daimyo? Or does that happen any way and the coup follows? Depending on what does the coup occur? Or does this only happen if you had adopted that general before the daimyo dies?

2. Does he keep his surname or does it change to the clan name?

I think I remember playing a shimazu campaign where my daimyo wasnt a shimazu anymore and didnt take on the shimazu name. Is this possible?

jpops0702's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: General becomes daimyo

I did something like this for an AAR once. A general can become daimyo only under the following circumstances:
    1) He is adopted and named heir. When daimyo dies he will become the new daimyo.
    2) Your daimyo has no sons or brothers and only a general remains. If there is one son, even if he is only a newborn baby, the son becomes new daimyo, under a regent.

If if there is no son, brother, or general, I don't know what would happen. Must try that out!

So the clan I think your scenario would work is Uesugi. Kenshin has no children and only a brother. He dies, brother becomes daimyo. Brother has no children (I think). You will get the option to recruit a general. Kill off brother and viola, your new general becomes daimyo.

As far as the name goes, I don't know. I went the adoption route and they get the clan name as their surname when they get adopted.

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

In the vanilla Shogun 2, the daimyo has to adopt a general who is not related in order to place him in line for the succession (to further the clan name). As a player, if you don't adopt, your clan ends. The AI sort of cheats because it seems to have an unlimited number of generals on hand and it automatically adopts one anytime there is an instance when there's no heir appointed (even when not their turn). This is frustrating to the player because we can get caught without an heir especially when there's a successful assassination but the AI doesn't. I think back in Rome 1 and Med 2 you could wipe out an AI player through assassination but they took that away. Now assassins are only good for killing other agents. (boring)

You can have a daimyo that doesn't have the clan name by having a daughter marry into another clan then make the son-in-law your heir. When the daimyo dies, the heir (with another name) will inherit the clan but with HIS new clan name.

Quote Originally Posted by jpops0702 View Post
    I did something like this for an AAR once. A general can become daimyo only under the following circumstances:
    1) He is adopted and named heir. When daimyo dies he will become the new daimyo.
    2) Your daimyo has no sons or brothers and only a general remains. If there is one son, even if he is only a newborn baby, the son becomes new daimyo, under a regent.

If if there is no son, brother, or general, I don't know what would happen. Must try that out!
    If that happens you get a new general in the capital and you also get a message saying that a distant relative has become Daimyo. Additionally there will be a penalty to clan happiness in all regions, as the new ruler is seen as an outsider. It starts at -4 but it goes down by 1 every few turns until it disappears.