Thread: cant recruit any units "-100 army recruitment capacity (all provinces)"

Icon4 cant recruit any units "-100 army recruitment capacity (all provinces)"

I started an argos campaign, about 40 turns in with one and a half stacks of armies, and i cant recruit anything anymore. I've lost a few units in battles, nothing major. I cant even recruit reserve units or even skirmishers.

oh, just now seeing in the "faction" tab i have a trait with no name just a description, "-100 army recruitment capacity (all provinces)".

Is this a bug or am i missing something?

Edit: Additionally, is there any way to see how many "Caps" you have/have left?
    Last edited by Post Hoc; January 29, 2018 at 11:17 PM.
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

Default Re: cant recruit any units "-100 army recruitment capacity (all provinces)"

I think this was recently mentioned in the bugs thread as I and several others had issues.
    I know it will inconvenience your situation at the moment but try to remove all your barracks buildings and replace with as many farms as you can. Wait a turn or 2 after complete and let me know.

Also with Argos..I would keep all your 6 elite heavy hoplites together in 1 stack. Don't lose any of the elite 1000!![emoji38]

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Default Re: cant recruit any units "-100 army recruitment capacity (all provinces)"

I will address all questions very soon. I am away currently and with no internet mostly.

thanks for the tip, i decided to just restart as a new faction. It was my first play through and i probably should have picked someone easier to learn some of the mechanics anyways.

Cheers
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

Remember that you will face many difficulties if you don't go through the manual. It takes just a few minutes. I know it's not a thrill for anyone to go through walls of text but in this case it is necessary because Hellenika is almost an entirely new game. If you try to learn by playing you will loose many campaigns and it will leave you frustrated or puzzled on how the game is structured. At best you will not experiment many nice features because you will not discover them all unless you know about them.
    Anyway your problem could be indeed the number of barracks. Barracks in Hellenika are like control posts. They keep order and (if I remember correctly) lower upkeep in a specific province to the cost of that they drain unit caps (the garrison that stays there). Caps in this mod are somewhat playing a role in the manpower system. Unit numbers are the actual historic ones and using soldiers as garrisons drain those caps.
    There could be also a reason that Argos in some points was not permitted by treaties to go through war preparations and this is visualized in this mod by various non permanent effects. Usually in such cases a warning note appears but many players skip those notes. If you still face problems please send me your save file to check again.
    Keep in mind that even I haven't played an Argive campaign it is totally feasible to beat the game as Argos. Our testers have finished the game with all factions first before we went public with the mod.
    Cheers

Hi guys. Thank you for the mod, it's awesome. Unfortunately I am encountering the same bug as Post Hoc, "-100 army recruitment capacity (all provinces)".

I am in turn 5 of an Argos campaign. I have the four initial buildings in my capital (no barracks), with upgrades in the port and farms, and about ten land units. I don't think I am going overboard with the caps system.

One thing I have found is this always happens after I play a naval battle during the AI turn (in my case against Melos). It does not happen if I auto resolve it, but if I actually fight it (win or lose, I tried both) next turn I find the "-100 army recruitment capacity (all provinces)". I have reloaded the save game for the turn before the battle, sent my fleet elsewhere in order to avoid the battle, and next turn everything was fine.

I have restarted the campaign, left a fleet as decoy in front of Melos, fought the naval battle and next turn there was the bug again. I have also skipped several turns to see if it is a temporary effect (ten turns or so), and it does not go away. I have read the manual as well, but I am still at a loss.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Cheers

mate I'm sorry I've read over your post a few times and I can't think of anything as to why the problem is so bad.
    I have Argos campaign on my YT channel (same name) ....For some reason My part 1 is totally disappeared and I think I lost the footage. I had the same recruitment problem with Argos but it was easily fixed with more farms less barracks - that said I never had a problem with the original structures.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. I only have one city with one farm and no barracks at all. All I can think of is there may be a post-naval battle that's kicking in for some reason.
    And also just now, do you think it could have something to do with the difficulty level? I play on very hard and didn't test the others yet. Do you remember at what level you were playing?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by goodmonkey View Post
    Hi mate, thanks for the reply. I only have one city with one farm and no barracks at all. All I can think of is there may be a post-naval battle that's kicking in for some reason.
    And also just now, do you think it could have something to do with the difficulty level? I play on very hard and didn't test the others yet. Do you remember at what level you were playing?

Cheers
    Greetings!
    I was playing on Hard difficulty in my Argos campaign - I haven't ever considered doing very hard difficulty for any of the campaigns
    I'm wondering if that's part of the problem in combination with your naval battle. I think the first naval battle I had with Argos was taking Kythera from Sparta, but I believe that happened later on and I was almost 100% land focused for my Argos campaign. Naval units were used just to defend my coastal towns. I remember one play-through with Argos and Sparta had two full land stacks embarked in sea transports nearby when I wasn't at war with them yet...I couldn't resist the opportunity so I attacked and wiped our those key units - just don't count on that happening again haha.

Why don't you try to re-start your campaign in Hard difficulty and see what happens.
    Believe me that setting will not be easy in any way. Argos is probably one of the more complex campaigns. With just one starting city there isn't much room for growth early on until you can start picking off
    Peloponnesian states. Mantinea for example will attack you hard, sometimes with multiple allied stacks! but that is most likely your first captured city and will give you 5 additional medium hoplites at a very low upkeep.

You have 6 solid units of heavy hoplites in the elite 1000 (keep them alive at all costs!) ...For Historical purposes I always kept them together in the same army as my elite stack. Other than that, Argos doesn't have much more to offer. Their medium hoplites are some of the best in that class but you are limited with heavy hoplites and your main enemy (Sparta) has a very strong supply of those. You will rely mostly on mercenary cavalry and your naval units are nothing like Athens or Korinthos.

Play style is very similar to Sparta just with lesser quality units and fewer starting towns.

Hi again! Sorry for not replying in a while, I have not been at leisure to test it.
    I restarted my Argos campaign, this time on Difficult, and the problem seems to have disappeared (fingers crossed!). I have fought several sea and land battles so far, doing more or less the same things I had done in the previous campaigns (same recruiting, buildings, diplomacy, etc), and everything works fine so far. So, possibly difficulty-linked problem!
    Thanks for your help, and once again for this amazing piece of work!